• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Terminator (1984) had great deleted scenes

VulcanRaven

Terminator: Dark Fate is coming soon so I was thinking about the first movie. It has had some great scenes that got deleted. They would have changed the story a little bit. I like the scenes and they give Sarah and Kyle a reason to go to the factory near the end of the movie. The Terminator is one of my favorite movies ever but would be great to see a new version with these scenes added:

Last edited:

Gargus

Banned
I'd never seen that first scene before. So she didn't come up with that idea in 2 in that movie, it already was her idea.

Although it wouldn't have worked. The terminator is a self perpetuating paradox though. Skynet sends a terminator to the past to stop Sarah connor from giving birth to John who could destroy skynet, but by sending the terminator back but it is destroyed and the arm and computer chip recovered by cyberdyne which leads them to creating skynet. So skynet creates itself by trying to stop it's own end.

I wish they would release terminator on blu ray in the original version and include a version with the deleted scenes back in. I liked James Cameron's aliens with deleted scenes put back in.

But sadly we cant even get a decent blu ray of the movie at all. The only good one is a earlier release where the picture isnt too, but later releases looked like they were DNR'd too much and the gunfire was changed to sound softer and shittier.

Fun fact I learned today. Linda Hamilton has a twin sister that played her when the t1000 was imitating her in terminator 2. I just thought it was an effect. I never new it till I saw this thread then was poking around looking for other deleted scenes.

Last edited:
I really like the first two movies and consider them to be classics. Apparently, the original script for The Terminator would have also had a T-1000 type Terminator being sent back alongside the T-800.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
I'd never seen that first scene before. So she didn't come up with that idea in 2 in that movie, it already was her idea.

Although it wouldn't have worked. The terminator is a self perpetuating paradox though. Skynet sends a terminator to the past to stop Sarah connor from giving birth to John who could destroy skynet, but by sending the terminator back but it is destroyed and the arm and computer chip recovered by cyberdyne which leads them to creating skynet. So skynet creates itself by trying to stop it's own end.

I wish they would release terminator on blu ray in the original version and include a version with the deleted scenes back in. I liked James Cameron's aliens with deleted scenes put back in.

But sadly we cant even get a decent blu ray of the movie at all. The only good one is a earlier release where the picture isnt too, but later releases looked like they were DNR'd too much and the gunfire was changed to sound softer and shittier.

Fun fact I learned today. Linda Hamilton has a twin sister that played her when the t1000 was imitating her in terminator 2. I just thought it was an effect. I never new it till I saw this thread then was poking around looking for other deleted scenes.

The mirror scene when the T-800 is stitching Sarah up... That isn't a mirror. That's also her twin sister and a stand-in for Arnie. They did that because the camera is in the looking straight at her "in the mirror"... They were all synced up to mimic Linda and Arnie perfectly. Like choreography.

She was on the Graham Norton show on Friday and said that the Mirror Scene where Sarah takes out the Chip from the Terminator was also her Twin sister and Arnie didn't know until he went to hug her in the Scene Trailer and saw Linda across the room. He was like....Oh....OHHHH!

The whole series is a Paradox as Skynet also force the Resistance to send Kyle Reese back in time, who ends up having sex with Sarah Connor, who has John Connor from their encounter.

It is more like a self contained Time Loop which determines the whole human race.

Last edited:

Mahadev

If you think about it the world of Terminator is more bleak than it first seems. Because of the machine Skynet builds humanity is pretty much caught in a loop and the Terminator movies exist in one of these loops. Btw the loop Terminator movies exist in is definitely not the first one because things have happened that could only happen if Terminators went back in time in past loops. The only way to stop looping isn't to protect John Connor but to stop Skynet from existing.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Skynet is trapped in a loop, it keeps getting invented and then getting destroyed. Humanity always wins after a big NEAR extermination event that they always pull out of.

I wish these films would move past the direct link to a Conner (and an Arnie terminator to some extent). I feel like it hampers the creativity to play with the concept in a novel way. Then again, the Alien franchise did that with Ripley and woah, that went bad, bad, bad.

crumbs

That first scene was interesting & would have added to the movie, but the I suspect it was cut due to the poor acting/emoting by Michael Biehn (His crying was pretty funny).

D

Deleted member 738976

Unconfirmed Member
Skynet is trapped in a loop, it keeps getting invented and then getting destroyed. Humanity always wins after a big NEAR extermination event that they always pull out of.

I wish these films would move past the direct link to a Conner (and an Arnie terminator to some extent). I feel like it hampers the creativity to play with the concept in a novel way. Then again, the Alien franchise did that with Ripley and woah, that went bad, bad, bad.
For a game so violent as Mortal Kombat it has a surprisingly happy ending for the Terminator series. He basically goes "Fuck this shit" and ends it all.

Mahadev

That's assuming though that the alternate realities continue existing instead of resetting completely every time the past changes, My impression from the two Terminator movies was that they reset and since there are NO OTHER MOVIES in the franchise imo that's what happens. You hear me? NO OTHER MOVIES.

Last edited:

VulcanRaven

I think the Blu-Ray looks really good. One of my favorites in my collection. The picture quality is great and doesn't look DNR'd like the newest Terminator 2 Blu-Ray. The only bad thing is the new gun sounds.

Last edited:

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
I prefer theatrical cut for all James Cameron film. Scenes like this can be good but they are cut for a reason: they don't add much to the overall pacing and context of the film.

Aliens Special Edition in particular is bloated.

I thought the gun turret scenes did a good job of emphasizing that the xenomorphs weren't just chilling in the atmosphere processor though. It added a bit more suspense seeing those guns quickly running out of ammo as the xenomorphs kept throwing themselves at em.

Last edited:

DrCheese

The mirror scene when the T-800 is stitching Sarah up... That isn't a mirror. That's also her twin sister and a stand-in for Arnie. They did that because the camera is in the looking straight at her "in the mirror"... They were all synced up to mimic Linda and Arnie perfectly. Like choreography.
Once you know this, you can spot the mis-syncs. But yes, if you don't know this it works perfectly.

I thought the gun turret scenes did a good job of emphasizing that the xenomorphs weren't just chilling in the atmosphere processor though. It added a bit more suspense seeing those guns quickly running out of ammo as the xenomorphs kept throwing themselves at em.

I saw this version first & it sticks in my head just how different the second threat is to the first movie. I dunno why they cut it

mcz117chief

I really like the first two movies and consider them to be classics. Apparently, the original script for The Terminator would have also had a T-1000 type Terminator being sent back alongside the T-800.
The cop that gets killed by t-1000 are also twins (the melting floor coffee cop).

is there a version of aliens on blu or better that wasn't color corrected with horrendous blues
As far as I can remember it was always like that. I remember watching it on vhs when I was a kid a lot and it always had this cold, blue atmosphere.

Last edited:

Yeah it shows them as more of a threat and also they are intelligent, testing the perimeter for a way in, leading up to them cutting the power and ambushing the marines from the roof and floor. I also like the scene with Ripley's daughter near the beginning, as it makes Ripley's connection with Newt even stronger.

The Theatrical cut might be paced better but those extra 17 mins of footage make the movie even better for me.

MacReady13

I prefer theatrical cut for all James Cameron film. Scenes like this can be good but they are cut for a reason: they don't add much to the overall pacing and context of the film.

Aliens Special Edition in particular is bloated.

I might agree with you on that if a film call The Abyss didn't exist. Theatrical version ending almost makes no sense whatsoever. Director's cut is brilliant.

Kamina

Golden Boy
I can see why the first one was cut, but the Factory scene was actually good, and explained some things.

VulcanRaven

Yeah it shows them as more of a threat and also they are intelligent, testing the perimeter for a way in, leading up to them cutting the power and ambushing the marines from the roof and floor. I also like the scene with Ripley's daughter near the beginning, as it makes Ripley's connection with Newt even stronger.

The Theatrical cut might be paced better but those extra 17 mins of footage make the movie even better for me.
I'm not a big fan of the longer version. It has some good scenes but I don't like the ones that show LV-426 before the outbreak.

Last edited:
For a game so violent as Mortal Kombat it has a surprisingly happy ending for the Terminator series. He basically goes "Fuck this shit" and ends it all.

Who's that in the picture? Is it that bloke from Cheesy-Peak Shores? On topic, I never knew these deleted scenes existed. Will watch.

vs_19191.jpg

"The film focuses on a new Terminator, Rev-9, who is trying to kill a woman called Dani."

Wow, sounds amazing! Hope Dani makes it!

I wonder what Rev-9 is short for anyway, Reverse-Engineered, or Reverend? Also, why not just go back to Adam and Eve and wipe them out? Or the dawn of mankind and erase monkeys?

Edit: All the white males on Twitter solely praising the female leads lol

Last edited:
Top Bottom