• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The thing I dislike the most about Microsoft strategy for Xbox Series X

Sony

Nintendo
But here are the bad news. The worst think that Microsoft is doing, is that they seem to still be laser-focused on the competition, instead of their own strategy.

I wholeheartedly disagree. Microsoft and Sony have never been this far apart in terms of startegy. Sony wants to sell you a console, Microsoft wants you to invest in their ecosystem. But this change in approach needs time to settle in. That's why you can't just do your own thing independently of the competitor. Even if what Sony does is vastly different than what Microsoft does, it does have en influence on the market. Microsoft haven't been doing the software approach for long enough to be seen as different to Sony.

The only way Microsoft can act independtly of Sony is when Microsoft's approach is widely established to be different than Sony's, and that takes time.

MrMiyagi

Banned
The problem is that wanting everyone to be able to play on GP, and launching a new 12Tflops beast of a console, just don't mix. They don't want to showcase the Series X hardware, they want games on GP that everyone with a potato pc can run, effectively robbing Xbox fans of that next gen thrill and excitement.

Xbox fans all defend GP like its their kid sister, but deep down they all want to see new AAA ip's like they are seeing on the competitions platforms. Unfortunately, those are not the type of games that will boost GP subscribers and keep them subscribed for the long term. What MS is looking to copy is the success of games like Fortnite. Games that anyone with a pc can run and that'll keep them engaged with the service.

I understand that a lot of people think GP is the best thing MS has done this generation, but it comes at the expense of not having truly exciting next gen games early on. And the truth is that MS's complete focus on GP directly affects the kind of games we'll see rolling out of their 15 studios in the long term.

Last edited:

RGB'D

It's okay OP, you can still buy your PS5. I know it's sad that the console war went in different directions. You don't have to write a narrative of lazer focus on competition because you want it that way. Microsoft just put their eggs in a few different baskets. Personally I think that this is going to pay huge dividends within 5 years but we will wait and see. This thread falls under circular logic and should probably be put out of its misery.

Tulipanzo

The thing that fucked me up the most is just how few games they have.
I thought cross-gen was a mistake, but I expected them to at least announce anything; instead they basically nothing for two years, and "cross-gen" was a marketing line to cover their ass.

I don't think they're over focused on the competition, but it just doesn't seem like they have much new in this box.
- Same games
- Same controller
- Same OS
- Even same game boxes

Really, their marketing worked "well" when it was 12TF being dangled in front of games forums, but the moment they had to show stuff it went downhill.
PS5 is consistently getting better responses, and after MS shoot themselves with Lockhart later this month I'm not seeing that changing.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
The problem is that wanting everyone to be able to play on GP, and launching a new 12Tflops beast of a console, just don't mix. They don't want to showcase the Series X hardware, they want games on GP that everyone with a potato pc can run, effectively robbing Xbox fans of that next gen thrill and excitement.

Xbox fans all defend GP like its their kid sister, but deep down they all want to see new AAA ip's like they are seeing on the competitions platforms. Unfortunately, those are not the type of games that will boost GP subscribers and keep them subscribed for the long term. What MS is looking to copy is the success of games like Fortnite. Games that anyone with a pc can run and that'll keep them engaged with the service.

I understand that a lot of people think GP is the best thing MS has done this generation, but it comes at the expense of not having truly exciting next gen games early on. And the truth is that MS's complete focus on GP directly affects the kind of games we'll see rolling out of their 15 studios in the long term.

I actually agree.
The only thing to understand is: Thats fine.
Theyve made their console super powerful not only for their own studios (who will flex eventually) but also for third parties to be able to utilize that power. The profiler should allow Devs to get games to work across the Series S and Series X no problem if the only thing downgraded in teh Series S is the GPU. (Scaling graphics is alot easier than scaling CPU tasks).
Xbox fans should still get "Nextgen experiences" just not from first party studios till the XB1 is dropped completely.
Which again is fine.

MS are going one way, Sony are going another and Nintendo is doing their thing.
People who want the Sony style Cinematic Single Player experience can get that.......they will just need to buy a Playstation to do so.
Im more into the Xbox ecosystem just because I joined XBL way back when and at this point I dont feel like permanently migrating, I like the Gamepass route because Im also someone who rarely replays games once ive completed them and im a cheap bastard, hidden gems and MS style live games for "free" is a good deal for me and alot of people.
But ive still owned every Playstation console(even the PSP and PSV) because I like those Sony exclusives....people who want that style of game can just nut up and buy the console that offers that.

I dont think either strategy is bad or that any manufacturer needs to copy another, if anything having companies that are employing different strategies is actually good for us all.
Want those Single player exclusives you get that, want a service that gets you a bunch of "free" games and dedicated studios producing live games, you get that too, want some Pokemon, Zelda and Animal Crossing the industry provides.

If anything the companies taking different routes "should" help reduce the tribalism thats present in console wars.
Since the companies arent so directly competing with strategy we shouldnt be directly comparing them its effectively like owning different style cars for different situations....which is again fine.
You dont find Supercar owners that tease Sedan owners for having back seats that add weight or truck owners who haul stuff around all day telling city car owners that small peace of shit couldnt lug 20 pigs.

MS fans seemingly want something to one up Sony fans about....and Sony fans showoff that Sony gonna Sony as an insult to MS fans.
But that doesnt really make sense.....if you were someone who wanted Sony style games, logically you would be a Sony fan, if like Nintendos approach you would be a ninty fan.
Why does MS have to be like Sony....why does Sony need a counter to Gamepass?
All these companies are billion dollar earners....clearly there is space for different strategies at the end of the day we all win.

Bolivar687

Banned
They are carrying over the latest problems from an entire generation of bad decisions. They lost out of the gate on power and price, then tried to course correct with a mid-gen refresh. It came a year later than the PS4 Pro, $100 more expensive again, and lost on some metrics, like the screen tearing in Modern Warfare. But Micorosft really surrendered the second half of the product cycle on software. The lack of heavy hitters, new franchises, and imminent releases overall is now sabotaging much of the value proposition of a World's Fastest Console.

We really need to critically reevaluate the premise that Phil Spencer has turned around this brand. A member here got hilariously piled on at Spencer's promotion for saying "I feel a lot better when he speaks," and in hindsight that reaction was justified. He has been consistently outplayed at the beginning, middle, and end phases of this generation and few gamers will be consoled by his communications because most consumers don't follow gaming industry news.

Compare this to Don Mattick neutralizing the Red Ring situation he inherited and continuing to compete with Sony after they inevitably found their footing with the PS3.

Spencer had an entire generation to put them in a solid position for the Series X, but after 20 years in this industry, we are still talking about how Microsoft is "starting from scratch."

Last edited:
Top Bottom