• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The time is right for Sony to release a PSP3 aka. PS4 Portable

The Switch bezel functions as a place holder for accessories like batteries. It's also worth noting that the Switch has a very durable plastic screen (which I happen to prefer over glass that easily breaks) and thus needs some space for it to stick onto the device.

I’m fine with bezels to frame the display but I do think the Switch’s bezels can be reduced. You could probably get rid of a lot of the bezel room and still have a frame around the display in the future.

Maddrical

A $799 Playstation cellphone with a high end chip that has stock android and could play all psn arcade titles, and vita and PSP games and has slide out controls akin to the PSP Go would sell gangbusters.

Sony is in a unique position to leverage their Xperia phone experience with their PSP Go experience and offer something to gamers that no one else can. An all in one device

Totally agree, I've never had interest in a Sony phone but I would buy one in a heartbeat.

paired with a cheap screen to boot. The Vita has a far better screen than the Switch

This is completely false.

-Vita’s early gen OLED display from 2011 is laughably bad compared with the 2016 IPS LCD from Japan Display in the Switch. The Vita-2000’s IPS LCD from 2013 is also notably worse, with a lower colour gamut of the sRGB standard, and much lower peak brightness and contrast.

-The Switch’s screen isn’t cheap. Look at how much Apple is paying Samsung for each screen in the iPhone X and you realise that the latest and greatest bezelless OLED isn’t financially feasible in a $299 device that comes with a dock, 39W AC adapter and two high quality wireless controllers. Going with LG instead isn’t a great idea either considering how far behind LG’s P-OLED tech is and how it exhibits several of the flaws of early gen OLED displays.

Switch’s display is, however, one of the best IPS LCDs you can get for its size and resolution. It’s got excellent contrast, superb viewing angles and is well calibrated to the sRGB spec. It’s the best choice for what the Switch is, and I was pretty surprised Nintendo went with it considering their track record on last gen’s handheld. It’s a return to form after the DSi XL brought IPS displays to the masses a year before the iPad.

geordiemp

Oh right never new ryzen mobile was so low power, but I read that AMD are designing an APU for smartphones and tablets which I thought would be better for a handheld.

Here's the link

https://www.extremetech.com/computi...-low-power-processor-tablet-smartphone-market

Thats from april and out of date, try November

https://techreport.com/review/32877/amd-ryzen-5-2500u-apu-reviewed

These XB1 GPU level mobile APU with i5 class CPU are out now / Q1 18 and are more powerful than Tegra.

With four Zen CPU cores and eight threads, plus as many as 640 Radeon Vega compute units, the Ryzen 5 2500U and Ryzen 7 2700U stuff a ton of potential computing horsepower into their 15W TDPs.

I think people are missing the appeal of an all in one device.

If you're a gamer and you can get a Nexus smartphone that also doubles as a Vita 2, you're going to very tempted to get it so you can game at work on your downtime.

120v

i just don't think the tech is there yet, or it'd be prohibitively expensive right now.

"the right time" would be where you could effortlessly stream the game to your tv, or at least have an tv out that doesn't compromise on quality. i.e. a switch phone of sorts, i think that would put it ahead glorified n-gage territory

perhaps the right idea, not the right time

FStubbs

Sony is doing very well with the PS4 and is in a good position with the PS5 to potentially knock MS out of the console space entirely so I'm not sure why they'd want to go with another portable, but if they did ...

Their best bet would be to keep the remote play feature and aim for Switch-level (or slightly beyond based on the latest chip) power, get some indies and third parties on board for Switch ports. To truly mimic the Switch, their next portable would HAVE to be their next console as well, and we're probably years away from a mobile chip with the power of the PS4 (much less PS4 Pro!). There doesn't seem to be a lot of movement in mobile x86 chips,but if Sony really wanted it, I'm sure they could fund AMD's research.

I'll say this as well. In order to sell a console or handheld you need either a massive selection of games or one killer app. Sony has always benefited from the former, so they have never understood the concept of the latter. The Wii sold because of Wii Sports (though people bought other games too), and the PSP sold because of Monster Hunter. Nintendo understands this which is why they launced the Switch with Zelda, and made sure to moneyhat Monster Hunter. Nintendo doesn't usually moneyhat exclusives but they knew exactly what they were doing here - killing the Vita before it had a chance. (And for better or for worse, even Microsoft gets this concept - they secured Halo which sold the Xbox, and more recently "secured" Minecraft) This next portable, which would not get the third parties beyond Idea Factory/Compile Heart/NIS/the usual suspects on board at start, would need Sony itself to create the killer app. Where would it come from?

Bowl0l

Sony should consider making a Vita successor which focus on:
1. 24 hours battery life
2. PS4 remote play
3. A heavily downgraded port of Monster Hunter,
Dark Souls where the user can easily switch to the PS4 (free cloud save - local save transfer).
4. Full b/c for Vita PSN library
5. SD card as the storage because it is cheaper to upgrade than microSD
6. Non proprietary game card (standard SD card)
Let the game license be checked online once

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
Does anyone disagree with my statement in the OP that older gamers want a good all in one device and if the Xperia Play had launched with decent specs and the ability to play Vita games, it would have sold very well.

The next psp needs to correct this error and release as both a standalone hanfheld and a separate smartphone simultaneously

Over the past 3 years I have bought a Sony tv, platinum sony ps headphones and a ps4 pro.

The tv had a good screen but the software was terrible - crashing etc - I have now gone samsung and it is great.

The headphones had a buzz in the right ear - i was told this was just a systemwide problem. Refund.

The pro is powerful but is so poorly put together - the fan is a nightmare and it is a huge clunky thing.

I am not sure I would trust sony to buy hardware from then again - something has gone terribly wrong.

Sosokrates

Does anyone disagree with my statement in the OP that older gamers want a good all in one device and if the Xperia Play had launched with decent specs and the ability to play Vita games, it would have sold very well.

The next psp needs to correct this error and release as both a standalone hanfheld and a separate smartphone simultaneously

If sony made a new Xperia play smartphone that has those slide out controls and it could play vita,ps2,ps3 games I would definitely be interested.

I think it would do very well because you could get it free or cheaply on contract and it would be a high end smartphone to.

Donnie

Wow those AMD APUs could definitely work in a handheld, considering the switches max undocked power draw at 8.9w. however would the AMD APU perform better then switch at 9watts?

That 8.9w power draw for Switch is for the entire system, not just the SoC. The SoC itself is likely using nearer to 4w. Perhaps that AMD APU could be clocked at half speed to get it to 4-5w, but that would put the GPU in the 400gflop range, same as Switch in docked mode. The CPU, even at half clock, will still be ahead of Switch's I suppose.

Also that's IF they want a handheld the same size as Switch and with the same battery life. If they want it smaller and longer battery life then that APU probably isn't usable for that kind of handheld right now as its going to have to drop to something like 2-3w. Which likely means clocking down to a performance similar to Switch in handheld mode. I suppose a significant die shrink at half clock could maybe make it possible.

A $799 Playstation cellphone with a high end chip that has stock android and could play all psn arcade titles, and vita and PSP games and has slide out controls akin to the PSP Go would sell gangbusters.

Sony is in a unique position to leverage their Xperia phone experience with their PSP Go experience and offer something to gamers that no one else can. An all in one device

This almost reads like satire. PSP Go was a massive failure. Xperia is dead in the water. The library of games available on Google Play makes PSN redundant as far as the average consumer is concerned. Avid mobile gamers will know that you, given current technology, have to sacrifice the utility of a phone if you wish to game on it. You're basically talking about the subset willing to make this sacrifice as the target audience for this device.

I do. When Vita and 3DS launched the threat from mobile was at its highest. Mobile wasn't about free to play service games, it was $0.99 apps like Angry Birds.

It would be overstating the market of people who wanted to play Vita games in the first place to say there would be huge demand for a high end phone that plays them. Back in early 2011 when the Vita was unveiled the writing was on the wall then. Sony showed off their first party lineup - Uncharted, Little Deviants, Resistance, Frobisher Says, Gravity Daze, Everybody's Golf - but there was little to suggest any of those games would have the mainstream appeal to shift hardware. And history proved this right. If Sony couldn't shift the Vita at $299 they'd have little chance shifting a high end phone at iPhone-like prices at a time where the new "in thing" was $0.99 apps that can be played on the go with one thumb. Stuff like Angry Birds and Flight Control.

Nikodemos

PSP Go was a massive failure.
It failed because retailers sabotaged Sony and refused to sell it. They made calculations and it resulted that selling them was a net loss for their stores when adding up the shelf, in-store promotion and storage costs. The Memory Stick Micro could not cover those costs (not least because the device already had internal storage). It's the reason Sony abandoned their online distribution idea and went back to game cartridges. It's also one of the reasons why they went with that overpriced memory card for the Vita and 0 GB internal space. It was supposed to provide another monetization path (apart from the game cartridges themselves).
We had users who worked for games and electronics stores (at the time the PSP Go was launched) who wrote about how management refused to bring PSP Go units out of storage and put them on shelves.
Sony tested the full online model with the Go, but when hit with such a strong opposition they went flank speed the other direction (and it arguably was one of the reasons which sank the Vita).

Arguably one of the things the Switch does well is it doesn't try to be a phone or a do-everything device. Nintendo acknowledged that smart devices are here to stay, and instead built a device that complements your phone rather than try to replace it. I believe this thinking is what led the Switch to be more tablet-like in form factor - fighting for your pocket space in 2017 is a futile effort, so you might as well spin that into something cool, like having detachable controllers and a large screen that's big enough for playing console games with TV interfaces.

It failed because retailers sabotaged Sony and refused to sell it. They made calculations and it resulted that selling them was a net loss for their stores when adding up the shelf, in-store promotion and storage costs. The Memory Stick Micro could not cover those costs (not least because the device already had internal storage). It's the reason Sony abandoned their online distribution idea and went back to game cartridges. It's also one of the reasons why they went with that overpriced memory card for the Vita and 0 GB internal space. It was supposed to provide another monetization path (apart from the game cartridges themselves).
We had users who worked for games and electronics stores (at the time the PSP Go was launched) who wrote about how management refused to bring PSP Go units out of storage and put them on shelves.

This is true. But as someone who bought a PSP go in its launch year, there are many other factors that would shoot the device down:

-Shipping it with the worst available "b" Wi-Fi was a huge mistake and costly to the user experience
-Sony didn't make any tweaks to the system menus to accommodate the lack of ready-to-go UMD media. Ironic for a device called the PSP "go". You couldn't background download games, and games still had to be installed immediately after downloading them. Basically, in 2009 you'd be waiting around an hour to download and play large PSP games.
-The core design of the device was flawed - Sony went smaller in an age where going bigger was more appealing (see: DSi XL, tablets, Dell Streak, Samsung Galaxy Note). I thought it was a pretty cool piece of engineering but it's also the most cramped PSP to date
-Sony positioned the PSP as an iPod Touch-like device but this was a time before the iPad when the iPod Touch was shifting tens of millions of units a year. The non-gaming capabilities of the PSP simply didn't cut it compared with an iPod Touch which could be bought for a similar price. Likewise on the exclusive games front the DS continued to have that market covered outside of Japan, but even that format saw decline at the expense of Apple.

Nikodemos

I believe this thinking is what led the Switch to be more tablet-like in form factor
Not really. The reason they went with that screen and general shape is that it's almost identical to that of the Wii U GamePad. The screen is exactly the same size as that on the GamePad, 6.2 inches. As for detachable controllers, that's Nintendo being Nintendo and attempting to reinvent control schemes with each iteration of their hardware.

There's no reason for Sony to make a bigger device. One already exists, the Switch. I consider that a 5.2'' screen (to Vita's 5) would be the best size for a new PSP.

Not really. The reason they went with that screen and general shape is that it's almost identical to that of the Wii U GamePad. The screen is exactly the same size as that on the GamePad, 6.2 inches.

There's no reason for Sony to make a bigger device. One already exists, the Switch. I consider that a 5.2'' screen (to Vita's 5) would be the best size for a new PSP.

Strongly disagree as someone with over 100 Vita games. A 5" screen makes 3D 'big' console ports like Need for Speed Most Wanted feel diminutive, and developers rarely redesign interfaces made for 40" TVs for the smaller screen, leading to some sadistically tiny text in a lot of games. It's just not a good user experience for most people. I like to think I have good eyesight but even I can't deny that playing on my Vita gives me eyestrain due to the small text in most games, and some of the ports are getting so bad that the text is almost literally unreadable where the devs are just downsampling text from 1080p. It's not good. Heck, the PS4 system UI looks comically tiny through remote play on Vita already.

You're right that the GamePad's screen size - which was already being used for TV/console games - was probably the defining factor of the Switch's screen size. Hadn't thought of it like that. If a new Sony portable didn't have detachable controllers with haptic feedback and other things (thus potentially reducing the weight of the device) I'd actually like Sony to go for an even larger display than the Switch.

Nikodemos

Strongly disagree as someone with over 100 Vita games. A 5" screen makes 3D 'big' console ports like Need for Speed Most Wanted feel diminutive, and developers rarely redesign interfaces made for 40" TVs for the smaller screen, leading to some sadistically tiny text in a lot of games. It's just not a good user experience for most people.
A new PSP would not see 'big' console ports simply due to the massive disparity in performance and considerable sacrifices to image quality needed to run them. More than a few Switch games run at sub-native res in portable mode.
It would be a dedicated indie platformer/visual novel/adventure/small-scale RPG/etc. machine. Thus it should be priced (especially in terms of BoM) and marketed accordingly, rather than a full-size console experience in a compact chassis (as Vita hugely unsuccessfully attempted to be).

Besides, you already have a full-size console experience in a portable chassis. It's called a Switch.

Weilthain

Banned
They better have learned their lessons from the past.

Support it with killer games from the launch. No stupid expensive memory cards, same ui as PS4. I’d buy one.

A new PSP would not see 'big' console ports simply due to the massive disparity in performance and considerable sacrifices to image quality needed to run them. More than a few Switch games run at sub-native res in portable mode.
It would be a dedicated indie platformer/visual novel/adventure/small-scale RPG/etc. machine. Thus it should be priced (especially in terms of BoM) and marketed accordingly, rather than a full-size console experience in a compact chassis (as Vita hugely unsuccessfully attempted to be).

Besides, you already have a full-size console experience in a portable chassis. It's called a Switch.

Switch games that run at sub-native resolution operate in the same way as other platforms: the HUD/UI are still rendered natively.

Most of the Vita games with tiny text are indie games which are ported verbatim from their TV counterparts.

Nikodemos

Switch games that run at sub-native resolution operate in the same way as other platforms: the HUD/UI are still rendered natively.

Most of the Vita games with tiny text are indie games which are ported verbatim from their TV counterparts.
That's a design development issue. The easiest way to avoid that is to have the hypothetical new PSP as the main dev platform (and build the HUD/UI with its size/limitations in mind), with the PS4 as secondary, rather than the other way around (which was/is the case with Vita). This could happen if the nuPSP were the dedicated Sony platform for small games.

They better have learned their lessons from the past.

Support it with killer games from the launch. No stupid expensive memory cards, same ui as PS4. I’d buy one.

This is what I would want but I can't see it working unless Sony waits for PS5 which will be a reset from "zero" in terms of software library for that particular machine. I guess it depends on what Sony's strategy will be for backwards compatibility and also game distribution across several formats - whether PS5 titles will come on a separate disc to PS4, whether a handheld will have its own physical media.

The way Sony's console business is set up and entrenched after 4 years of PS4 success makes it hard to envision where a handheld would fit in, our own dreams aside.

That's a design development issue. The easiest way to avoid that is to have the hypothetical new PSP as the main dev platform (and build the HUD/UI with its size/limitations in mind), with the PS4 as secondary, rather than the other way around (which was/is the case with Vita). This could happen if the nuPSP were the dedicated Sony platform for small games.

Agreed, but I don't see it happening even if the handheld became the standard. Game development has moved away from targeting bespoke hardware (I believe the 3DS, with its very ideosyncratic hardware makeup, was the last bastion of this) to targeting every device under the sun that can run or feasibly support the game.

And unless the PC, or Xbox, or the Switch, go away, I can't see any change happening sadly. So my solution would be to have the hardware support the problem rather than try and influence the industry the other way round. A 6-7" screen would work wonders for this.

1. 24 hours battery life

That feels extremely uneccesary, like why would you not just charge it during the night? I could see some users want 10 hours, basically play a whole day, but 24?? Id say 6 hours is the sweet spot to balance things out..

1. 24 hours battery life
2. PS4 remote play
3. A heavily downgraded port of Monster Hunter,
Dark Souls where the user can easily switch to the PS4 (free cloud save - local save transfer).
4. Full b/c for Vita PSN library
5. SD card as the storage because it is cheaper to upgrade than microSD
6. Non proprietary game card (standard SD card)
Let the game license be checked online once

Many problems.

1. I don't think that level of battery life is possible unless the console will be weak as shit. Though I agree, battery life is more important than graphics on a portable.
2. If it worked like a Swtich, that wouldn't be a USP but it would help. Just a shame I know literally nobody who uses that feature.
3. Probably won't happen, they lost Monster Hunter to Nintendo by neglecting portable gaming, ultimately hurting Capcom's target audience, forcing them to switch. Haha. Switch.
4. But you don't want a Vita card reader...? So I can ONLY get digital games? Why not PSP?
5. Yeah, a much better concept to be fair as long as they secure the device as much as possible to prevent piracy.
6. Umm, you're asking for piracy there. A standard format that'll be easy as fuck to break into and use to hack the system. Not to mention that used games become useless. Once your licence expires, the cartridge will be useless to someone else. Isn't that what caused a massive back lash for Microsoft?

Over the past 3 years I have bought a Sony tv, platinum sony ps headphones and a ps4 pro.

The tv had a good screen but the software was terrible - crashing etc - I have now gone samsung and it is great.

The headphones had a buzz in the right ear - i was told this was just a systemwide problem. Refund.

The pro is powerful but is so poorly put together - the fan is a nightmare and it is a huge clunky thing.

I am not sure I would trust sony to buy hardware from then again - something has gone terribly wrong.

You must have really bad luck. My original PlayStation from 1996 still works. My original PS2 from 2003, still works. My original PS3 from 2008 still works and my PS4 bought in 2013 is still going strong.

I had a 32" Sony Bravia HD Ready TV from 2009 to 2016 and the only reason I upgraded was because it was too small for my own house.

I've had a Sony Xperia Z tablet since it launched and it's still working perfectly.

I've had a Sony Xperia X10, Sony Xperia T, Sony Xperia Z3 Compact and now a Sony Xperia X and they've never caused any issue for me. I damaged the Z3 compact accidentally but Sony covered it under the warranty in a gesture of good will.

I have a Sony Vaio laptop from 2013 that's still working great, though the battery is wearing down but that's to be expected since I've worked the shit out of it.

Sony produce some of the most quality products I've ever owned. Though I am aware they do occasionally gaffe up. I.e. turning your PS1 upside down to get discs to work on select early/launch models.

Many problems.

1. I don't think that level of battery life is possible unless the console will be weak as shit. Though I agree, battery life is more important than graphics on a portable.
2. If it worked like a Swtich, that wouldn't be a USP but it would help. Just a shame I know literally nobody who uses that feature.
3. Probably won't happen, they lost Monster Hunter to Nintendo by neglecting portable gaming, ultimately hurting Capcom's target audience, forcing them to switch. Haha. Switch.
4. But you don't want a Vita card reader...? So I can ONLY get digital games? Why not PSP?
5. Yeah, a much better concept to be fair as long as they secure the device as much as possible to prevent piracy.
6. Umm, you're asking for piracy there. A standard format that'll be easy as fuck to break into and use to hack the system. Not to mention that used games become useless. Once your licence expires, the cartridge will be useless to someone else. Isn't that what caused a massive back lash for Microsoft?

You must have really bad luck. My original PlayStation from 1996 still works. My original PS2 from 2003, still works. My original PS3 from 2008 still works and my PS4 bought in 2013 is still going strong.

I had a 32" Sony Bravia HD Ready TV from 2009 to 2016 and the only reason I upgraded was because it was too small for my own house.

I've had a Sony Xperia Z tablet since it launched and it's still working perfectly.

I've had a Sony Xperia X10, Sony Xperia T, Sony Xperia Z3 Compact and now a Sony Xperia X and they've never caused any issue for me. I damaged the Z3 compact accidentally but Sony covered it under the warranty in a gesture of good will.

I have a Sony Vaio laptop from 2013 that's still working great, though the battery is wearing down but that's to be expected since I've worked the shit out of it.

Sony produce some of the most quality products I've ever owned. Though I am aware they do occasionally gaffe up. I.e. turning your PS1 upside down to get discs to work on select early/launch models.

Hey - they used to be great. The PS4 original, Vita old bravias etc were nice pieces of kit. But over the last few years sony’s hardware has been poor. Their TVs are now derided, the VR is decent enough but would not allow hdr on the tv when it was released - which is just bizarre. The pro is poorly engineered. Just my view - the switch by contrast is a lovely little machine.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
I think people are missing the appeal of an all in one device.

If you're a gamer and you can get a Nexus smartphone that also doubles as a Vita 2, you're going to very tempted to get it so you can game at work on your downtime.

That market is saturated already. If Sony wants to succeed with a new portable, it has to bring something new that could add unique value. Just making a portable PS4 won't work at this point. Unless there are insanely high quality games that can only be played on the device, like BotW and SMO were.

I hate to admit, but the only way I could see a Sony portable working well is if they ditch the PS4, and focus entirely on the portable. But that certainly ain't gonna happen. I expect them to make a try, because the Switch is getting so much attention. But it's gonna be an uphill battle at this stage of the game. They have to prioritize the PS4, third parties too. Just ports ain't gonna do anything.

Sosokrates

Dam a phone with integrated controls that could play, ps3/vita games would be really awesome.

I love my switch, but the true is I play it docked 99% of the time, a good gaming phone would get a lot more portable use because I would carry it everywhere anyway.

Like the switch, the portable device should have their library shared with the main console without any bullshit exclusives attached to it. With games evolving applying a lot of side content, it would be great to deal with this on the go and emphasise the main storyline at home.

Like the switch, the portable device should have their library shared with the main console without any bullshit exclusives attached to it. With games evolving applying a lot of side content, it would be great to deal with this on the go and emphasise the main storyline at home.

Yup, that's the only way people won't see the handheld as second rate or simply another option, or a device where you have to buy the $60 game again (see: basically any boxed PS4/Vita game) to play on it portably with cross save.

I could see it happening if PS5 is an architectural reboot and a clean slate with a new library of games. Maybe Sony will adopt an Nvidia GPU that scales across several form factors or power profiles (much like the Switch does) and pair it with a beefy ARM CPU on the console and an underclocked version on the handheld. Mark Cerny did hint that Sony is still very interested in console generations being these separate shifts.

Problem is the moats of Sony's PS4 castle make it tricky for this to happen. A radical architectural shift necessary to ensure a handheld plays the same library of games is only really possible if Sony rethinks or ditches

-backwards compatibility with PS4 games (unlikely)
-storage media for physical games (unlikely)
-their angle on AAA games development. PS5 needs to set itself apart from PS4 somehow. But if they continue to produce games with blockbuster-budgets (solely speaking in presentation terms) it'll be hard to push this on a handheld where raw power and storage are constraints

In short, a generational reset is the best way for Sony to introduce a portable that doesn't feel compromised in the console space. But the PS4's success will make it hard for Sony to leave some aspects from their existing dominance behind.

They should just make a handheld PS3.

If there was a magical way to get the generation 7 library onto a handheld I'd be there day one. Switch or otherwise. I can see so many of my favourite games being great to revisit on a Switch-like device, like Vanquish, or Binary Domain, or Burnout Paradise.

Sony's mistake with the Vita was overselling the device from day 1. It was pitched as a portable PS3 with tech demos of Metal Gear Solid 4 (in reality just a cutscene from the game with no simulation) and the illusion of a full-blown Uncharted game but the reality was different. It also didn't help how Sony focused on tech specs in the wrong way - for instance the CPU being "quad core 2ghz" when in reality it was clocked at 333Mhz.

AmuroChan

Sony's strategy in the mobile/handheld space has clearly changed once they created a separate publishing arm for mobile games. It's served them swell so far. Fate/Grand Order is one of the highest grossing mobile games in Asia. It allows SIE to continue to focus on PS4/PSVR and Sony gets a piece of the mobile pie without having to invest in new mobile hardware R&D. Based on their earnings from last quarter and their projections for fiscal 2018, I don't see them shifting their mobile strategy anytime soon.

Nikodemos

Sony's mistake with the Vita was overselling the device from day 1. It was pitched as a portable PS3 with tech demos of Metal Gear Solid 4 (in reality just a cutscene from the game with no simulation) and the illusion of a full-blown Uncharted game but the reality was different. It also didn't help how Sony focused on tech specs in the wrong way - for instance the CPU being "quad core 2ghz" when in reality it was clocked at 333Mhz.
This. In addition to their many fundamental errors when designing it, they massively oversold what the device is/was actually able to do, eventually leading to backlash from early adopters.

Releasing a handheld requires foresight and long-term strategy like what Nintendo does for their portable systems. As can be seen from history, Nintendo makes their home consoles as precursors of their next handheld, which is why their consoles are not made very powerful at the onset (to save on battery life for their next handheld) and are often times cartridge-based (and even if the games are on CD, the file sizes are small).

SNES ---> GBA
N64 ---> DS
Gamecube/Wii ---> 3DS
Wii U ---> Switch

Nintendo makes sure that their current home console requires less power, and that its games have very little footprint for future cartridge migration. The Switch was a success because the Wii U requires little wattage and its games were simply migrated to the new handheld rather easily without compromise.

With the PS4 made very powerful (relatively speaking) and its games requiring lots of gigabytes, it will be very difficult for Sony to make a handheld console out of it in the near future that can run the old games in a cartridge. They would need to create new games for the portable and that requires a lot of $$$.

So ditch the idea. Sony needs to focus on the home console front where they can use all their resources to totally dominate the next generation with the PS5.

Artistic

Was there any exclusive games that made having a PSP or PS Vita worthwhile?

Always looked at them as multimedia devices more than anything else.

Revisiting this topic, I realize that Microsoft partnering with Valve and releasing an Steamboy or Xboy One that could play your entire Xbox and Steam game libraries would be vastly preferable. MS has the software emulation experitise to get the Xbox store and steam running on AMDs upcoming mobile APU.

Alebrije

After Vita and current Swtich success do not think Sony will release a portable. Also portable market is owned by cell phones and tablets. Sony will keep focusing on its home market.

Revisiting this topic, I realize that Microsoft partnering with Valve and releasing an Steamboy or Xboy One that could play your entire Xbox and Steam game libraries would be vastly preferable. MS has the software emulation experitise to get the Xbox store and steam software running on either Intel or AMDs newest mobile APUs.

Add in a tv out port and compatibility with all Xbox One controllers and release a second more expensive version that also functions as a smartphone with slide out controls like the Galaxy phone in the OP and they could completely dominate the game industry and offer immense value to gamers everywhere. Plus it would give Microsoft a first and giant stake in the portable hybrid space that Switch is hooking gamers to. Every reason in the OP applies, just swap Sony with Microsoft. It could even revive the Windows Phone OS (I would actually prefer the smartphone running Windows Phone OS and Xbox Live instead of Android.

Nikodemos

This. In addition to their many fundamental errors when designing it, they massively oversold what the device is/was actually able to do, eventually leading to backlash from early adopters.
This is what I find odd. The whole "hugely overhype what your device can do" was a thoroughly obsolescent marketing tactic by 2011 when the Vita was unveiled. It dated back to the PS2 era. I really don't understand why Sony were still doing it in an age when being more understated had become a common practice.

Last edited:

Kagero

IMO the only reason why the PSP/VITA failed was because controlling games on it sucked. Remote playing games from the PS4 is impossible because of this. Nintendo did a good job with the switch but it's still need a far ways behind what you get with a regular controller.

Top Bottom