• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Times: 37% of UK TV ads feature black people (3% of UK population), 72% of black individuals feel they are underrepresented in ads

Chittagong

Gold Member
Jun 8, 2004
For instance, 37 per cent of the commercials featured black people, even though they make up about 3 per cent of the British population.

The YouGov research commissioned by Channel 4 found that ethnic minorities still believed that they were poorly represented in TV adverts. Just 28 per cent of black and minority ethnic (Bame) individuals thought they were well represented compared with 41 per cent of the total population.

The Times
Banned (permanent): Dismissing inclusivity efforts

Boss Mog

Dec 12, 2013
It's the same in the US. Blacks are vastly over-represented in TV and movies yet they constantly complain about being under-represented. And they better win all the awards too, if they don't then it's because of racism and white supremacy.

Boss Mog

Dec 12, 2013
Blacks are overrepresented. Indians and Chinese are underrepresented considering they are like 1/3rd of humans.

Only indian i have seen in a movie this year was the taxi driver in Deadpool.
Yep. Latinos are somewhat underrepresented too while being the largest minority group in the US. Yet all these groups that are actually under-represented based on US demographics don't complain all that much about it.

juliotendo

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2019
Mexico
It’s the same thing in the US.

Every commercial is either a black family or black father with a white mother driving an Audi, buying a new home with a mortgage lender, or promoting a toothpaste brand.

If an alien from outer space was viewing our commercials and media they would think that everyone in the US is black.

Last edited:

RedVIper

Jun 13, 2017
It's the same in the US. Blacks are vastly over-represented in TV and movies yet they constantly complain about being under-represented. And they better win all the awards too, if they don't then it's because of racism and white supremacy.
LGBT are also massively over represented in the media, to the point where it distorts reality, most people think there are far more gay people than there actually are. (I think it was something like 15% compared to the real 4 or 5%)

gradient

Resident Cheap Arse
Oct 25, 2017
I've noticed this for quite some time. Thing is, it comes at the expense of other racial groups who make up a larger percentage of the population but are neglected owing to the pandering towards one very small vocal group which is held up as perpetually under-represented even when that is factually completely inaccurate.

Thing is, it actually demonstrates how false the equality and respresentation narrative is because the over-representation appears to be largely an imitation of the US where the black population makes up a far greater % than in the UK. If equality and respresentation was actually being saught then in the UK at least central Asian ethnicities would see far greater representation and black far less so. But it's not about equality and equal representation, it's about being seen to be "progressive" and inclusive, ticking the right boxes and virtue signalling in order to appease individuals and groups who themselves only care about being seen to be "progressive" and inclusive without any actual consideration for what that actually means or the racial bias they hold or the social damage and inequality they're actually creating.

Last edited:
Reactions: ROMhack

Hypnotoad

Jun 27, 2007
China
Whats even worse is watching British TV series in a historical setting full of black people. The Frankenstein Chronicles, set in 1827, has numerous black characters in it, including the police sidekick. So stupid.

Reactions: Stilton Disco

GrizzleBoy

Banned
Jul 25, 2013
England
Wait, so you guys are saying it’s a actually a bad thing that there are black people from all walks of life/backgrounds/nationalities/cultures/social views who don’t feel automagically connected to or represented by a person they see on TV because of matching skin pigment?

Or is it that they should feel represented by anyone at all, doing anything at all, as long as their skin colour matches, and that’s why they shouldn’t feel underrepresented?

If that’s the case then wtf is all this complaining I hear about the north of England whining about not feeling represented in politics when the vast majority in parliament and government is white?

Surely if the pigment matches.......what’s to complain about?

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2018
It's just in-group advocacy and tribalism. Dr. Edward Dutton actually just released a book called Race Differences in Ethnocentrism which explores the ways in which populations differ when employing positive and negative ethnocentric strategies.

Whats even worse is watching British TV series in a historical setting full of black people.
Well "British" doesn't refer to a specific people, you horrible bigot. There is no "British" history or "British" people, so these stories that originated in the socially-constructed country of "Britain" can be represented in any way one chooses.
The sort of enforced diversity in Television shows represents and underhanded tactic to separate Ethnic Brits from their history and achievements. We know this isn't just a conspiracy because what I said in the above paragraph is exactly what these sorts of peoples' responses are when confronted with historical realities, they know why they are doing it, they're idealogues. If you can deconstruct European ethnicities into non-groups without meaningful history, collective achievements, and future interests then it allows you to impose whatever you like.

Reactions: Hypnotoad

Breakage

Mar 3, 2014
I'm not even white (or black) and it [the over representation] bothers me. It's another example of the distant fetishism of blackness that British lefties revel in.

These days, I'm surprised when I see an advert where the couple or family is entirely white.

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Sep 4, 2018
what a weird article. it says they believe they are poorly represented. but just having a black person in a spot is not representation, and this article seems to equate the two. it is almost as if the article is misrepresenting what question was asked of people.

the "one black friend" trope is less than ideal because it is a lazy, token way of representation. in many cases it is poor representation. look at the Justice League, the only black man in it is actually not even a full man, he is the head and heart of a man put inside a robot body, and one of the undertones is that he is trusted around Wonder Woman because he is literally neutered (a star football player, a stereotypical role given to black tokens). look at the MCU. Captain America gave Falcon his shield, so i guess Falcon is done being Falcon, all thanks to Cap's decision making. ah and of course no more Captain America movies, not with a black captain, we will give him a streaming series instead.

so yeah, i can see why black people may be upset about representation, even if they are there is greater numbers. i mean, that doesn't even mean anything. they could be there as criminals and welfare moms in greater numbers too. it's a question that requires nuance far beyond the paragraph or so of text given in the OP & article.

Jmarshall

Mar 28, 2018
Interesting, I had noted this over representation myself for a while but just considered it part of my un conscious bias. A lot more mixed race couples, lesbian couples than in reality, seem to be represented as well.

Whitesnake

Jan 31, 2018
Reminder that when lefties tell you that black people are “severely underrepresented” in hollywood, they’re full of shit.

Black people in hollywood moves — 12.5% (Source)

Black people in the U.S. — 12.6% (Source)

Last edited:

Tygeezy

Sep 28, 2018
Blacks are overrepresented. Indians and Chinese are underrepresented considering they are like 1/3rd of humans.

Only indian i have seen in a movie this year was the taxi driver in Deadpool.
Bingo, and then when a good Asian movie breaks into the US (Crazy Rich Asians) it's nowhere to be seen come award time. They couldn't even bother to nominate them for best set or costume design.

Last edited:

danielberg

Jun 20, 2018

LexisNexis is about the best source of information there is. Good job on the reporter Tim is highlighting.
It basically proves again.. (as if anyone still needed it) that white liberals who eat this new age racist "evil whity" garbage are brainwashed or naive to a insane degree.
Literally the only in group who hate themselves, the media and social media have something to answer for.

Last edited:

TGO

Sep 5, 2007
UK
I rarely (I use rarely because I don't wanna say never, because I have and they're usually comic relief) seen a white family man in ads.
Even clothing ads in magazines.
It's always a Black man and he's White wife and kids.
Or a black man and his white girlfriend.
Or the mother with mixed race kids.
They could at least mix it up a bit and have a white dude with a black girl but nope.
Any mixture but a white man.
Kinda hard not to notice regardless your feelings on the matter.

Last edited:

monegames

Sep 26, 2014
It basically proves again.. (as if anyone still needed it) that white liberals who eat this new age racist "evil whity" garbage are brainwashed or naive to a insane degree.
Literally the only in group who hate themselves, the media and social media have something to answer for.
You forgot to add academia to the list of those that have to answer for this shit. Its where all this started. Its an attempt to tear down western capitalist society. They tried with class, marxism, and it didn't work because everyone wants to be rich in the end. Now they move on to racism/sexism/phobia shit. It will probably work better since humans are more wired for in-group good/out-group not as good think, as the video shows for all except white liberals.