• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Times : Sony is considering pricing PS4 "at about £300"

When Sony unveils its new PlayStation device this week, it will be far cheaper than many experts had expected — a price tag that, it is hoped, will lure millions of customers into buying its latest video games console.

Industry sources and leaked internal documents suggest that Sony is considering pricing the new device at about £300, more than £100 cheaper than the starting cost of its predecessor, the PlayStation 3.

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/business/industries/technology/article3691304.ece

Amir0x

Banned
That's $399.99? That's not at all cheaper than I expected it to be?

I damn well hope they're not CONSIDERING that price either; better be that or lower or they're out.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
How much is the equivalent in US dollars?

(Please do not directly convert it using the exchange rate)

Edit: Damn I am slow typing. Nevermnd.

Omikaru

I think a lot of us on this side of the pond are bracing ourselves for £349.99 minimum, due to exchange rates and such.

£299.99 would be a godsend if it's real.

Karuto

That's still like $450 if rounded. Would hope that Sony considers going to $400, especially if the rumors of only one SKU being available at launch are true.

The Lamp

I damn well hope they're not CONSIDERING that price either; better be that or lower or they're out.

I think it was 2007-2008, though, where PS3 just began a starting price at $399 (correct me if I'm wrong). That's when sales really started to pick up.

I think $399.99 is a significantly lower-than-expected threshold.

Especially with $380 being a Wii U bundle with ZombiU lol.

If it was $350 it would pretty much force Nintendo to price drop this holiday haha.

Derrick01

Banned
$400 is what it needs to be since realistically it can't be much lower than that given what we know about the system. But it absolutely can't be any higher than that. There should be no "considering" about it.

Amir0x

Banned
What was you thinking?

That's a great price, imo.

Closer to $450

Oh. Yeah. Sorry, was mentally converting Euro for some reason.

That's MORE expensive than I expected, since I thought reasonably Sony wouldn't be insane after the PS3 :p

The Lamp said:
I think $399.99 is a significantly lower-than-expected threshold.

The reason PS3 took forever to get there was because of Blu-Ray. Blu-Ray is no longer expensive. If they can't get the thing to $400, they shouldn't bother.

Marakh101

Neo Member

The WiiU is $350...you're gonna be really disappointed if you think it will be cheaper than $399

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
I don't think anyone at The Times has seen anything about British pricing.

I think what they might have seen is things that others have seen - like the Japanese press reporting a price tag 'over 40,000 yen'.

That would be somewhere around £300.

It would more likely cost more than that in the UK if it winds up being >=40,000 yen, but they've just done a straight conversion in this report.

Was this prediction hit?.(I have not read about the Destiny reveal):

The Bungie IP will be at E3 2013 even though it won’t release that year and will be hugely ambitious, revealing that the game engine that is so scalable it works on mobile all the way to souped up PCs. It will feature an open world, third person adventure shooting MMO-like game where the players mainly drive and create their own stories, factions and missions with in the game world, a true sand box. This world will be cheap to free to enter and will have it’s building blocks microtranactioned to gain profit.

if so it will be 399 dollars without glasses and 499 with glasses.

Elginer

Not bad, they show me some special sauce mixed with wizard jizz this week and I'll jump ship to the S.S. Sony.

Until Alan Wake 2 hits Durango that is.

Kimawolf

So that's what they are considering, sounds like that's their lowest thought on the price. This Wed will be interesting if they announce a price. gimme 300 sony for a base model and i'm in day one.

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
I'm not expecting £299, not a chance.

I expect we'll see £399 and I'll happily pay up to that, but not more.

I'd be a happy bunny to see £350 tbh, but I honestly think that a price under that is a pipe dream.

Shahed

£300? That's less than I thought it would be. Was never gonna be crazy like the £425 for PS3, but I was expecting £350.

Keep in mind UK always, always gets screwed on pricing and it'll be closer to $300 than you'd think.

The 3DS's UK launch price would have been $356.98

Jezbollah

£299 would be the perfect price for a launch.

USGafers, remember this price quoted will include VAT, our sales tax, over here.

The Lamp

Not bad, they show me some special sauce mixed with wizard jizz this week and I'll jump ship to the S.S. Sony.

Until Alan Wake 2 hits Durango that is.

And PC lol

Either way, at $400 I'm in at launch. Assuming there's at least 1 launch title I like.

Top Bottom