• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Tomorrow Children Arrives September 6 on PS4

Loudninja

Hello, Comrades! Today it gives me great pleasure to announce The Tomorrow Children will be launching next month on September 6 with the early access Founders Pack! We will also be opening the game up to everyone as a free-to-play title in the near future.
The Tomorrow Children is a unique combination of action, simulation, strategy, and social gaming that delivers an experience unlike anything else. As “projection clones,” players will be tasked to work together — And unite for the glory for all! — in an alternate future Soviet Union in order to restore civilization to a world that has been annihilated by a failed science experiment. Gather resources, build and customize your town, build defenses, fend off gigantic “Izverg” kaiju monsters, and much more.
Starting on September 6, The Tomorrow Children’s early access Founders Pack will be offered for a limited time until the official launch of the free-to-play game. The Founders Pack bundles together a great selection of paid DLC items, 1000 Freeman Dollars (in-game currency), and exclusive bonus content, giving players a big running start as they dive into the world of the Void.

The early access Founders Pack includes the following premium paid content ($19.99, includes more than $30 worth of content):

• Bourgeoisie papers — This is your first step to becoming a resident of The Void. By earning the “rezidenty” status, player’s will have the privilege to participate in creating structures and items to build your town, access to new tools, and the ability to build your very own house within the town. Also includes five F2P invitations to send to friends.
  • Lv1 Arms License — Unlocks access to higher-tier weapons at the weapons dealer in town (purchase items with in-game currency earned by completing various labor tasks).
  • Lv1 Tools License — Unlocks access to higher tier tools at the tool dealer in town (purchase items with in-game currency earned by completing various labor tasks).
  • Eagle Corp. Jetpack — This high-end Black Market paid item will take you to new heights, allowing you to reach otherwise inaccessible areas on tops of “islands” to mine resources and find hidden items.
  • Special costume — “Miner Gear” costume to customize your in-game “projection clone” character.
  • Exclusive PSN avatar pack — This is a pack containing three exclusive PSN avatars limited to the Founders Pack.
  • 1000 Freeman Dollars — Currency that can be used at the black market to purchase a variety of high-powered weapons, tools, and more, and can also be used as bribes to government officials for quick personal benefit. (This is separate from the in-game credits collected from the town’s City Hall after completing various labor tasks, which are used at the normal vendors in town.)
  • Bourgeoisie Paper holders will also receive five invitations to send to their friends, granting them access to the F2P game client before full public release. Invited comrades can enjoy the F2P game for free, and upgrade their experience with the Founders Pack if they choose.

Coming Soon
In the coming months, Q-Games and Sony Interactive Entertainment will launch the Free-2-Play version of The Tomorrow Children. The Founders Pack will also be replaced by the Frontier Pack bundle, including DLC content and Freeman Dollar Currency (details TBA).
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2016/08/16/the-tomorrow-children-arrives-september-6-on-ps4/

Wow I had no idea this game was coming out so soon, it looks fantastic!

Free to play and founders pack huh? Interesting, I didn't know founders packs were a thing on consoles, it seems other games are doing similar things as-well like Paragon.

Also, wow, you and FelipeMGM posted at the same time.

Ridley327

F2P? Pass then, what a shame, loved the look of it.

It was pretty clear from the beta that they were heading in this direction. Considering how important having a community is in the game to do well otherwise, I don't know how else it would have worked for lone wolf-types.

Ibuki

Banned
Awesome! We finally have a date.

I was planning to spend about $20 to get this game anyways, so this is perfect for me.

More player-base can't hurt a game like this.

Samemind

It was pretty clear from the beta that they were heading in this direction. Considering how important having a community is in the game to do well otherwise, I don't know how else it would have worked for lone wolf-types.

Judging by my attempts to solo work on deserted towns in the beta, it goes quite poorly.

F2P is probably a very smart thing considering I feel the buzz for this game has been non existant. For one it certainly was revealed way too early. I think the visual style and mystique would have been very effective in reveal->release period being very short.

I'll definately be giving it a shot even tho I basically had no idea what I was doing back in Alpha (or was it Beta?).

Ridley327

Judging by my attempts to solo work on deserted towns in the beta, it goes quite poorly.

Yeah, the difference between ramshackle communities and tightly-knit ones is night and day. It's actually pretty goddamn inspiring to see a great community work together, almost like they're the world's most depressing-looking ant farm.

I was lucky to drop off into one and see them ward off one of the kaiju monsters and it was like watching a warzone go completely right.

Geez. I enjoyed this game in Beta, but I have no idea how to squeeze it in between No Man's Sky, Battlefront Death Star DLC and Destiny Rise of Iron.

nicolajNN

In the beta I was a little afraid that it would be a priced game, and have premium currency to buy on top, so being f2p is good from that perspective.

It also just makes sense, a decently sized player-base is needed, and it's a kind of a weird game, and hard to really wrap your head around without playing, so hopefully being free will push more people towards trying it, and judging from the beta it seems like people get pretty hooked once they get into it.

Finally, since it's very much a cooperative game there's no worry about being pay-to-win, unless your really obsessed about the daily rankings

Rob85Fr

Neo Member
I'm in too, btw a bit scared by the F2P decision, mostly due to the Founders/Frontier packs, don't know.
At a first sight (for me) it seems to kill the political aspect of the game, the fact to all start at a same level was maybe... Something healthy, a solid base for the game. Let's see. I'm maybe all wrong.

Can't wait to see the new elements (story-wise / content-wise) they added since the beta.

I was just thinking about this game a few days ago and was wondering when it was coming out. Good timing.

A little disappointed its a F2P title, but I'll give it a shot.

Ridley327

what do you do in this game?

It's a resource gathering game at its core, but the appeal is the community-driven aspect, since each town is unique and encourages everyone to cooperate to build a bigger, more efficient town and defend it from various threats that range from running out of electricity to fighting off gigantic kaiju. Oh, and it looks like a tin toy version of Soviet propaganda posters.

It's also in the running for the most depressing-feeling game ever, which is not going to be to all tastes, but it's really unique as a result of it. For better and for worse, this game sits alone at its own table.

IvanJ

Banned
Free is about as much as I would be willing to pay for this game, so I'll definitely take a pass on the Founders Pack.
And very likely will take a pass on the game entirely. It looked interesting in the trailers, but just seems so boring to actually play.

Unfortunately I think I've lost interest. The beta when I played it was nothing short of buggy but I will give it a shot being f2p. Not that f2p is where I'd thought I'd see the game but for it to gain any sort of community I guess it was the only way.

My main worry right now is pricing. In prior betas, I think the licenses were 500 Freeman dollars each, and jetpacks were 200 maybe? (Someone check my numbers!) So you're looking at 2200 Freeman dollars plus whatever you save by getting the Bourgeoisie papers up front.

Collecting 2200 dollars would have taken a while, but not a ridiculous amount of time. Given the stated normal cost of everything, this makes me think that either there's a whole system involving getting your citizenship papers we haven't seem yet, or that the in-game economy has been slowed drastically to make the pricing of Freeman dollars higher. I want to be wrong about this.

Ridley327

My main worry right now is pricing. In prior betas, I think the licenses were 500 Freeman dollars each, and jetpacks were 200 maybe? (Someone check my numbers!) So you're looking at 2200 Freeman dollars plus whatever you save by getting the Bourgeoisie papers up front.

Collecting 2200 dollars would have taken a while, but not a ridiculous amount of time. Given the stated normal cost of everything, this makes me think that either there's a whole system involving getting your citizenship papers we haven't seem yet, or that the in-game economy has been slowed drastically to make the pricing of Freeman dollars higher. I want to be wrong about this.

Yeah, distribution and pricing is going to be key for this to have any legs at all. The beta had fairly generous daily bonuses for Freeman dollars, so I'm hoping they're going to keep that relatively untouched.

I know when the beta was wrapping up, someone from Q-Games popped up in the thread and talked about some of the feedback that they were going to be working on implementing, like stronger griefing countermeasures (much needed), so they do have their ears to the ground.

Ferr986

I'll get the pack. Loved the beta!

The only thing I'm worried is that F2P = more trolls ruining your town. It was bad in the beta.

Trojan

Surprised by the F2P, but by being free it went from a "maybe-buy" to a "definitely will play" in my book. Hopefully they do F2P tastefully.

Yup. I will definitely play the game on launch now, whereas before it would have depended on reviews and price.
Can't wait.

I guess that's alright, but damn, did not expect that and was totally downing people who suggested it. Egg on my face.

And hopefully the price is right. I'm willing to spend on a F2P if the market is good.

Top Bottom