• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Tomorrow Children - New gameplay videos.

Guymelef

Here's an upload of the stream from source (not from twitch), so the quality might be a little better:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lrTRi9bSsg

(and NomNomGalaxy for those who are interested, it's a brilliant little game: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fzyS1ZAKJbc&feature=youtu.be )

Tech demostration with a bit of gameplay.
Time-lapse Recording of Day Transition
Demonstration of Town Lighting
Demonstration of Materials and Light
http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2014/10/24/creating-striking-unusual-visuals-tomorrow-children-ps4-2/
15616115202_df2e56bd03_o.png

14994529834_e7c46e0d9f_o.png

Serick

Married Member
I wish someone would figure out how to morph objects realistically in real time rather than stairs just appearing after smacking it with a shovel a few times.

Edit: The lighting is incredible though.

twisted89

Hope they get rid of that awful dark corner effect they have going before release.Other than that good looking game.

-SD-

Banned
Subsurface Scattering in the third video is spot on.

Looks even better than Crytek's SS tech in Crysis Warhead.

Phenomenal lighting.

Loving the lighting systems being made in these PS4 exclusives so far. Really are generation leaps from last gen.

Some of those scenes had my jaw on the floor.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
I wish someone would figure out how to morph objects realistically in real time rather than stairs just appearing after smacking it with a shovel a few times.

Minecraft is the only solution and thats on big over-sized cubes, otherwise you just have to rely on context sensitive stuff otherwise gameplay becomes far too convoluted.

When VR and hand tracking clay molding level of world interaction comes in, sure, but until then, this seems like a good enough solution.

Serick

Married Member
Minecraft is the only solution and thats on big over-sized cubes, otherwise you just have to rely on context sensitive stuff otherwise gameplay becomes far too convoluted.

When VR and hand tracking clay molding level of world interaction comes in, sure, but until then, this seems like a good enough solution.

EverQuest Next/Landmark seems to be doing a pretty decent job with the micro-voxels.

I know the technology isn't there *yet* I just wish it was... it's something that has always bothered me in games.

Edit: The lighting is incredible though.
To be fair I think given that the game is only slightly about mining if they made it that complicated then all of your time would be spent on that.

Game is looking incredible though, hype rising.

The mining of fallen monsters is creepy and very cool. Great concept.

Seems like not necessarily a limitation of the developers know-how, but a design decision-- not to mention a hardware limitation-- no? If the mats morphed/deformed "realistically" and in real time that seems like something that would take a ton more calculating. Also, I imagine pacing is a factor as well. The game could become incredibly tedious if your progress is being slowed by a lengthened animation e.g. in Don't Starve I sometimes get annoyed at how low it takes the animation of cutting down a tree to complete.

kungfuian

I just love the lighting in this! it makes everything look so solid, like real objects. also although it's not my favorite genre I bet I can get my daughter play this with me. Might end up another one of those games where we start playing together and I finish playing alone long after the kids have gone to bed.

Damerman

Has anyone seen my shit? i seem to have lost it...

Holy fuck... so hyped.

EDIT: the serene music... OMG....

This is the reason why clean the dust off my PS4... SO HYPED... this looks amazing. If the online works as well as i imagined, this could be a huge thing for gaming and massive social experiment in terms of Communism and division of labor. I'm a capitalist and think that communism can't work unless the government is a being that is beyond man, like a god or a machine that can have discretion.... so to see this is like a test for my idea of a working communism. incredible.

Gurish

Damn that looks so unique and lighting is super impressive! indie studios has come a long way if they are able to create such tech.

Serick

Married Member
Seems like not necessarily a limitation of the developers know-how, but a design decision-- not to mention a hardware limitation-- no? If the mats morphed/deformed "realistically" and in real time that seems like something that would take a ton more calculating. Also, I imagine pacing is a factor as well. The game could become incredibly tedious if your progress is being slowed by a lengthened animation e.g. in Don't Starve I sometimes get annoyed at how low it takes the animation of cutting down a tree to complete.

@Bolded; Most definitely. I'm not necessarily knocking the game because of it. Was more of an offhand comment.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
EverQuest Next/Landmark seems to be doing a pretty decent job with the micro-voxels.

I know the technology isn't there *yet* I just wish it was... it's something that has always bothered me in games.

Oh yeah, the EverQuest stuff is interesting, things like the selection tool, but thats when things start getting a little too 3D Studio Max for the general populace and mainstream gaming audience, haha.

MavFan619

Banned
Really love the look they go for and the lighting knocks it out the park. Looking forward to more on this now for sure.

EGOMON

Everybody Gone to the Rapture, Rime, No Mans Sky, WiLD and this are my most anticipated B games coming to PS4 and i can't fuckin wait

teiresias

The vignette has to go as it will drive me crazy.

The world building looks a bit more guided and less freeform than MC though- see how much of a bridge of stairwell appears with one dig or material placement.

Serick

Married Member
Oh yeah, the EverQuest stuff is interesting, things like the selection tool, but thats when things start getting a little too 3D Studio Max for the general populace and mainstream gaming audience, haha.

Yeah the stuff they can do in Landmark is pretty crazy, but I was more referencing the tech demos for Next. Like this one. Where the player is just playing the game and they use voxels to show real time destruction.

Edit: And yeah, sorry for derailing - back to The Tomorrow Children!

So I'm not really sure what the game is about, I thought mining was a bigger part of the gameplay as it's been shown a lot, which is what made me think about the use of voxels.

allftw

Neo Member
Gorgeous looking game but why does every game need shooting. I'd be much more interested if it didn't have that.

Top Bottom