• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The top 400 women in esports combined earn less than half of what the top man makes

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR

Female-gamers-reveneu.jpg

As well as their combined earnings not even touching the top male player, no women at all feature in the top 300 earners in esports. The top male earner is Dota 2 player Johan Sundstein, who has won $6,889,591.79 from tournaments.
In womens’ esports, the top two players’ total earnings are: Sasha “Scarlett” Hostyn, at $333,456.35; and Katherine “Mystik” Gunn, at $122,000.00. The top 400 women combined have earned $3,030,000.
Sasha “Scarlett” Hostyn comes in at 329 in the list of highest paid esports professionals. She is the only woman in the top 500 earners.

---

Missing data: ad revenue and sponsorship revenue generated by the figures involved. :pie_thinking:

JordanN

Banned
Can someone explain to my why society is hell bent on making everything equal?

Are we suppose to believe that every human being on earth is 100% the same? Regardless of talent or natural abilities?

For people who care so much about wage gaps, I ask them this, why don't they just join the highest paying jobs? Become a doctor and trust me, you'll make more money than 99% of most people.

hnYyEdu.png

Seriously, I don't care if the Janitor doesn't make as much money as the Computer Technician, regardless of gender. Jobs pay different levels of income for a reason. It's based on skill, education and demand.

This should be our solution to those who decry "equality".

Last edited:

StormCell

I admit to not fully understanding where the money is or comes from in esports because I don't care about esports even a little bit. But I imagine a large chunk of it comes from sponsorships as a result of playing really well.

I'm actually more interested to know what the earnings lists looked like last year, year before, 5 years ago, and so on. How long have these ladies been playing? What is the growth trend for their segment of esports? Could we be looking at esports' first millionaire female pro gamer by next year?

Kataploom

Gold Member
Isn't sports very circumstantial when talking about income per athlet? I mean, the guys from the Fortnite tournament got hundred thousands or millions and MKLeo got less than 30k when he won EVO this year... That alone attracts different/better sponsors looking for "big deals"... And all people I mentioned are males

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Shame. I’ll be avoiding VG247 from now on just like Kotaku and many others.

GAF. Where do I get my gaming news without having agenda driven horseshit articles?

Last edited:

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Im just gonna say it since you guys won't: girls are bad at videogames.

Its gotten better in the last 5 or 6 years but its still like watchin a microwave cook aluminum foil. Theres just no situational awareness or athleticism from them. Any girls reading this who disagree 1v1 me outside bro 10th prestige cod sergeant colonel reporting.

trikster40

When you start going all the way down to 400, you’re adding in people who don’t make squat just to make the stats look worse than they really are.

Caffeine

are they winning the tournaments ? I mean most esports cash comes from coming in the top 8. so it's kinda 1 sided when a team of dudes wins large prize pools. Also you should probably play games with larger prize pools. also what is the disparity of the stats.

bobone

Can someone explain to my why society is hell bent on making everything equal?

People on the left confuse equal opportunity with equal outcome.

The best societies have equal opportunity for everyone. Everyone has the ability to do whatever they want, and they fall in line based on genetics, intelligence, personal drive, etc.

The alternative is equal outcome, which is completely unfair and has no basis in reality. People don't do things equally well. And most people don't want to. Not everyone can be a surgeon or a pro athlete. And even those that could don't always want to sacrifice the time it takes to get there.

This used to be common sense.

ROMhack

Most videogame websites don't cover female eSports tournaments so why are they playing the outrage card? They could start a lot closer to home if they were arsed about it.

Last edited:

dalekjay

I think woman should have more space so other women also gain some interest in competitive games, it’s better to everybody, if you are against it or jaded about you don’t deserve to breath
But how many of those girls are consistently in top 8, 3 and champion? Women should fight for their spaces in those cases by winning, and plus, there are guys without money grinding to go up in the ladders.

CyberPanda

Banned

StormCell

This seems just like the woman's soccer bs. If you are not generating the same revenue as the men, how the fuck should or could you be paid the same?

Don't you know it's the misogynist fans who are fully at fault for this. It's pure misogyny that way more spectators show up to watch men play than for women's sporting events! /s

HarryKS

I can't believe a limp-dicked, slack- jawed dork is making 6 million playing that weaboo-looking game Starcraft 2. Shame on you for watching that pew-pew laser mini monster thing as well.

maxresdefault.jpg

This is someone's role model? No wonder the 1st world is in decay.

Last edited:

Chromata

I love how the overwhelming majority of top earners play Dota 2. The top 5 are all OG players :messenger_tears_of_joy:

The International really did something special for the esports scene.

Helios

When was the last time Ricki Ortiz was relevant? Not even hating on her but there's a reason she makes less than someone like Bonchan or Tokido.
The rest of them, I have never even heard of. Granted I don't follow those games either but still.

Last edited:

ROMhack

I love how the overwhelming majority of top earners play Dota 2. The top 5 are all OG players :messenger_tears_of_joy:

The International really did something special for the esports scene.

Also worth noting how represented China is in this. There's different cultural customs meaning females competing in tournaments isn't as normalised.

Beyond that, I wonder what'll happen to these guys once they get older. None of the top 10 are over 27. It's obviously not a career with much longevity, even for sports.

Helios

Beyond that, I wonder what'll happen to these guys once they get older. None of the top 10 are over 27. It's obviously not a career with much longevity, even for sports.
Daigo is almost 40 and he's still getting top 8 consistently. Not as good as in his prime but still holding on.
It probably depends a lot on the game too. I imagine once you get older and lose your precision you're pretty much out of luck for FPS.

Top Bottom