• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The top 400 women in esports combined earn less than half of what the top man makes

There just aren't as many women who are complete social failures that are willing to sit in front of a screen 24/7.

Most pro gamers appear to be the types of people that would marry a stuffed animal and a lot of parents are probably fine letting their son live in a cave but grow concerned when their daughters just sit home alone all the time.

The money on the men's side wouldn't even be all that impressive if it weren't for a bunch of plebs anyways. People literally buy a digital fucking ticket to "attend" and get an exclusive hat and a few loot boxes to fund these big tournaments.

Pro gaming/streaming is all just very stupid.

Maybe. DOTA 2 is fucking amazing though.

Most of the games in the list have small prize pools anyway. Surprised to see women have even earned that much in anything that isn't CSGO.

Just dog shit leftist editors trying to stir up shit as always.

Last edited:

Chromata

There just aren't as many women who are complete social failures that are willing to sit in front of a screen 24/7.

Most pro gamers appear to be the types of people that would marry a stuffed animal and a lot of parents are probably fine letting their son live in a cave but grow concerned when their daughters just sit home alone all the time.

The money on the men's side wouldn't even be all that impressive if it weren't for a bunch of plebs anyways. People literally buy a digital fucking ticket to "attend" and get an exclusive hat and a few loot boxes to fund these big tournaments.

Pro gaming/streaming is all just very stupid.

Actually, a lot of the pro Dota players have successful social lives and faced significant backlash from their parents for all their playing. It's a mixed bag. Many of them regularly trained and competed in cafes so there is that too. I've found that the "gamer = social recluse basement dweller" stereotype is fading, which must happen if we want the medium to be taken seriously.

I watch a lot of sports and The International gives them a run for their money. You might be surprised how entertaining and impressive it actually is :). Even friends and family who don't play Dota have watched it with me and enjoyed it.

undrtakr900

This seems just like the woman's soccer bs. If you are not generating the same revenue as the men, how the fuck should or could you be paid the same?
Actually, women's soccer generates more revenue than men's soccer, but the women still make less money.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
That's a bad analogy, because women's soccer generates more revenue than men's soccer, but the women still make less money.

Because they agreed to their Union contract of guaranteed pay with bonuses. Men do not have a guaranteed pay contract. The men don't perform to the level, they don't get paid.

The women have guaranteed money no matter what, the men do not.

We been through this already in the Politics forum.

Last edited:

Kamina

Golden Boy
Football is a very bad example of equality. They pay as much as they want depending on the player’s skill, the popularity of the club and the advertisement contracts.
There is no equality between male players, and there is no equality between male and the much less important (for ads and clubs) female football players.

Last edited:

cryptoadam

Banned
I see 3 solutions. Lets also remember that the only reason these guys are making money is because of their WHYTE prvilage, the patriarchy and toxic masculinity.

1-Take 50-90% of the winnings from the top males and give it to the girls. Its only fair. Just because the guys place higher in tournaments with bigger prizes its not fair. To close the gap they should give their winnings to subsidize the girls. The only reason any of these guys won big money is because of their WHYTE privilage and toxic masculinity. So to even out the privilage they have redistribute their money. If someone won 6 million and a girl won 300K, 3.5 Million should be taken and given to the girl.

2-For diversity sake 50% of all rankings should be reserved for girls. Girls make up 50% of the population and its not very inclusive to not have rankings reflect that. So the top 10 needs to be made up of 5 girls. Lets say you need 1 million points, but the top girls only get 100K, while bump out some of those toxic privilaged guys. Diversity is the most important thing and its disgusting that half the worlds population isn't represented.

3-Force the top male players to become transwomen. This way we can put to rest any so called science that points out men are better at VG's due to things like dexterity, spatial awarness, reaction time etc... We all know women can do whatever a men can do, and even better. So its a bad look that all these women aren't as good as men. Since the number 1 and 3 earners are transwomen, if more of the top winners became women it would prove that women are equal and even better than men. So if the top earning man becomes a women bam women are now earning equal or more than men, and the best in the world is a women.

We need to resolve this pressing issue. If not more and more girls will turn to becoming thots and selling their bathwater. Its a shame that gamers use their WHYTE privilage, WHYTE supremacy, the patriarchy, toxic masculinity and Trump to shut out girls from all the monies they should be given.

/s

#Phonepunk#

Banned
seems pretty accurate to how the real world works to me. if you put all the billionaires together im sure they would mostly be men as well.

face it, this is a man's world

Katsura

Actually, women's soccer generates more revenue than men's soccer, but the women still make less money.
I'm sorry but do you have a proper source on that? Because your links cites a WSJ article which is behind a paywall, making it impossible to verify. It also goes against what i've read and what the USSF have stated so i remain highly doubtful that's true
https://bigthink.com/politics-current-affairs/womens-soccer-pay?rebelltitem=2#rebelltitem2
This article actually explains why your link is wrong. Not surprising considering the source is very leftist. They take a single factor out of the equation and neglect to mention the remaining factors, which account for far more money

rockyt

That just mention the US not worldwide where the bulk of the money comes from. The men share a pot that is dispersed world wide by the world soccer federation and which the men generate billions in revenue per year without a guaranteed salary. The women generated roughly 100 million or so and is dispersed by the world soccer federation but get a guaranteed salary. Women on avg get paid more in base income base of salary and higher percentage of the pot. These pot are base on revenue that is generated worldwide. Basically if women soccer want to be payed more they have to increase the revenue worldwide not just in one country.

On a side note the US soccer team generate very little money compared to the rest of the world and is more of a drop in the bucket. It becomes a bad business decision if you pay out more than you bring in and could have dire consequences.

Last edited:

Ribi

the money is there. There isnt some giant conspiracy against women in esports. The games are inclusive for eveyone and i know for csgo the tournament have 0 gender restrictions and the females who do play are usaully knocked out in a very early stage of the tournaments against terrible teams. There are few women who play in mixes with men and they show they can compete. The issue is the idea that somehow women are being discrimintaed against while in reality they are getting paid a decent salary just because they are women not because they have the ability to be the best in the world.

llien

One is the conditions of the study. It was done on children 3 to 10 years old, of which only ~100 were sampled (split that among boys, boys w/CAH, girls, girls w/CAH and it's quite limited)
CAH is rather rare (had that not been the case, cough, we perhaps wouldn't have had "non-girly" toys to begin with). 34 females and 31 males with CAH; 27 unaffected sisters and 25 unaffected brothers were picked up.

This trend actually affirms my stance that interactions with the environment and expectations may play a role in women's behaviours.
I may be an alien.
But, seriously, you are referring to something that is a foundation of a call to action, but all that we can say about it is that "it is a possibility that it has some influence".

The pressures placed on individuals exceed parental interactions in their childhood, it's a product of peer influence, media, schooling, etc. across one's lifespan.

This is a claim that goes along common sense, but doesn't show the EFFECT of all that.
Yet we see that girls exposure to testosterone alone beats all that combined.
As worded in study: "Although parents encourage sex-appropriate behavior, their encouragement appears to be insufficient to override the interest of girls with CAH in cross-sexed toys "

Boom. And it's just testosterone, curiously.

Findings in the natural sciences are also (usually) consistently replicable.
Boys going on with construction toys and girls going more with dolls and stuff is quite consistently replicable.

And then:

may I ask, why do we expect boys and girls to like same things again?

Renoir

when it comes to entertainment and women not getting paid its always hard pill for them to swallow. But no one is watching.
For example. Worldcup women supposedly were not getting paid, then look at the number they get a higher percentage out of the prize pool then men.
Its just that no one is watching... If women really wanted thing to change in entertainment, then get all women to start watching. NO INDUSTRY pass up on $$$$.

Chromata

CAH is rather rare (had that not been the case, cough, we perhaps wouldn't have had "non-girly" toys to begin with). 34 females and 31 males with CAH; 27 unaffected sisters and 25 unaffected brothers were picked up.

I may be an alien.
But, seriously, you are referring to something that is a foundation of a call to action, but all that we can say about it is that "it is a possibility that it has some influence".

This is a claim that goes along common sense, but doesn't show the EFFECT of all that.
Yet we see that girls exposure to testosterone alone beats all that combined.
As worded in study: "Although parents encourage sex-appropriate behavior, their encouragement appears to be insufficient to override the interest of girls with CAH in cross-sexed toys "

Boom. And it's just testosterone, curiously.

Boys going on with construction toys and girls going more with dolls and stuff is quite consistently replicable.

And then:

may I ask, why do we expect boys and girls to like same things again?

Just because hormonal influence plays a bigger factor in their behaviours within that study, it doesn't mean the rest is a nonfactor. As shown in my quote from the paper, parental interaction plays a role. We can't extrapolate the findings to conclusions outside of its merits.

I think you may be under the impression that I'm a strong social constructionist who believes the differences between the genders are all socially constructed. I am not, males and females are different on a biological and psychological level. There is overwhelming evidence to back this up (as you have linked) and isn't really under debate in the scientific community since it's so well documented.

I'm more of a (very) weak social constructionist. There are hard facts inherent in the universe, but there are also things that we have socially constructed. Sometimes that line is obvious. Physics is not socially constructed, it's a natural property. The status of the president is socially constructed. In the case of our debate, the line is not so clear. I didn't propose that girls and guys should use the same toys. I said societal pressures might describe the trend we're seeing. We both play video games, we both know the diversity of experiences they can provide. I don't see why they can't, in a sense, be for "everyone". I think it will just take time for that to happen.

The reason why I use the word "may" is because neither you nor I have the evidence to put this case to rest absolutely. Even in the natural sciences, basic things we used to believe (something without mass has no gravity, cholesterol is bad for you, electrons circularly orbit atomic nucleus') were later proven to be false. We didn't just make social movements out of these, we took them as hard facts (at least much of society did). So I try not to be absolute in my language on purpose because I don't know everything and I never will.

EDIT: It's worth noting that you'll find a lot of research papers use the same language I do in stating their conclusions. They'll speak to the statistical findings of their study, then in the discussion/conclusion sections they'll state the limits of their findings and call for areas further research can be done. You won't often find someone state their study as absolute, at least in my academic experience (I'm not a researcher myself, but I aspire to be).

Last edited:

Rathalos

Banned
They need to get better then, there's a reason most games have women's leagues, it's because they can't hang with the guys.

Enjay

Banned
I think it's funny that the writers of this article think anyone at all is gonna care about how little a pro gamer makes. This is akin to trying to get people to care about millionaire youtubers who know only make a couple hundred thousand now because of adpocalypse or whatever scandal.

dano1

A Sheep
Fact is everyone wants to watch the best at any sport. If they can beat the best man in the world they will get paid!!

Top Bottom