• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The top 50 PS4 games according to Reddit compared to their critical reception.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

There’s always a lot of speculation around the best video games on each platform, but now we’re coming to the end of this generation, let’s look back on the games that defined PlayStation 4 according to r/PS4.

So let’s have a look at what an actual PS4 community thinks of the games and see how that compares to critical reception.

Top 50

sublimit

Banned
While I appreciate the post, I think I speak for us all when I say I don’t give a shit what Reddit thinks about anything, let alone informing my $60 PS4 purchases. Only Facebook and Twitter contain a higher amount of stupid, and that’s debatable.

I would be very interested to see this repeated with Gaf, however.
I agree. And just to make it clear my previous post wasn't meant as an "attack" to the OP himself.

cormack12

Gold Member
Text list of top ten for anyone wondering whether to take it seriously (God of War #1)

God of War
Astro Bot Rescue Mission
Hollow Knight
Resident Evil 2
Persona 5
Red Dead Redemption 2
Nier: Automata
The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
Bloodborne
Marvel's Spider-Man

Last edited:
17 out of 50 games are remakes/remasters and at least 10 more are sequels to other games that happened to get popular (Persona, Yakuza, DQB2, Monster Hunter, DMC5, NeiR Automata and God of War).

Unless you went for hidden gems this gen, it feels like a tired rehash of the previous gen by sticking to what worked.

Last edited:

ruvikx

Banned
Great Top 10 to be honest.

Not really. Witcher 3 shouldn't be there by virtue of the fact it runs horribly on base ps4 (sub 30 fps stutter fest). I'd be reticent to put Resident Evil 2 Remake on the list because it also runs poorly on the base console (fluctuating framerate kills the immersion). I'd be far more inclined to put Resident Evil 7 up there instead because it does run really well on the 2013 machine (aka the console which the vast majority of ps4 owners play their games on). Arkham Knight probably also deserves a positive mention (fairly solid on the ps4 & great fun), so does the Crash Bandicoot remake trilogy.

As for Red Dead 2 & God of War, they're two of the most technically imperfect (stutter stutter stutter) overrated boring experiences I've endured this gen. So they're a definite no-no. These lists are always biased junk, but there's certain criteria's (namely technical) which should determine better contenders emerge on top. For example I just can't imagine someone rowing a boat in God of War whilst listening to a stereotypical brat, all at a sub 30 framerate before fighting the samey enemies again, again & again & saying "wow, bestest game on ps4!". There's far, far better stuff out there.

Last edited:
MLB the show 19 at 62?

8KTtscB_d.jpg

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
The hell with Reddit, the only "top" list that matters to me is my own. Hehehe. The top 5 being a 9.5/10 and 6-15 being a 9.0/10 for me.

01. The Witcher III: Wild Hunt (my 2015 goty)
02. God of War (my 2018 goty)
03. Days Gone (my 2019 goty)
04. Uncharted: The Lost Legacy
05. Horizon Zero Dawn (my 2017 goty)
06. Rise of the Tomb Raider (my 2016 goty)
07. Assassin's Creed Odyssey
08. Assassin's Creed Origins
09. Mad Max
10. The Division 2
11. Resident Evil 2 Remake
12. Spider Man
13. Far Cry 4
14. Shadow of the Tomb Raider
15. Far Cry Primal

Roufianos

Not really. Witcher 3 shouldn't be there by virtue of the fact it runs horribly on base ps4 (sub 30 fps stutter fest). I'd be reticent to put Resident Evil 2 Remake on the list because it also runs poorly on the base console (fluctuating framerate kills the immersion). I'd be far more inclined to put Resident Evil 7 up there instead because it does run really well on the 2013 machine (aka the console which the vast majority of ps4 owners play their games on). Arkham Knight probably also deserves a positive mention (fairly solid on the ps4 & great fun), so does the Crash Bandicoot remake trilogy.

As for Red Dead 2 & God of War, they're two of the most technically imperfect (stutter stutter stutter) overrated boring experiences I've endured this gen. So they're a definite no-no. These lists are always biased junk, but there's certain criteria's (namely technical) which should determine better contenders emerge on top. For example I just can't imagine someone rowing a boat in God of War whilst listening to a stereotypical brat, all at a sub 30 framerate before fighting the samey enemies again, again & again & saying "wow, bestest game on ps4!". There's far, far better stuff out there.

There's other metrics to judge a game besides its framerate.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Pretty good list but I don't know how you don't have Uncharted 4 in Top 5, easily one of gaming's greatest achievements.

ruvikx

Banned
There's other metrics to judge a game besides its framerate.

In 2019 this argument is making less & less sense. People invest in the best & most expensive TV's, PC's & upgrade their consoles mid-gen with supposedly "better" versions of the same games... yet the game performance continually sucks. Red Dead 2 for example is comically bad in its urban areas (Valentine, Saint Denis). That sort of stutter ruins the experience entirely.

The only game with bad performance I'd overlook is Bloodborne because the artstyle, score, level design, encounter design & combat all overcome the horrible framerate issues. But the tech side is still very disappointing & I'm never going to sweep that under a rug for any game.

brap

Banned
17 out of 50 games are remakes/remasters and at least 10 more are sequels to other games that happened to get popular (Persona, Yakuza, DQB2, Monster Hunter, DMC5, NeiR Automata and God of War).

Unless you went for hidden gems this gen, it feels like a tired rehash of the previous gen by sticking to what worked.
Yeah, it's pretty fucking retarded to have games like Shenmue 2 and SOTC on the list. It's a reddit list after all though.

Romulus

Astrobot is one of those games that makes you question your favorite genre, and the visuals in the headset are incredible I want to say God of War is my favorite, but Astrobot really stands out as something truly fresh this generation. Not since the first Nintendo 3D games have I been so wowed. It has to be experienced inside the headset to understand.

Generic

Text list of top ten for anyone wondering whether to take it seriously (God of War #1)

God of War
Astro Bot Rescue Mission
Hollow Knight
Resident Evil 2
Persona 5
Red Dead Redemption 2
Nier: Automata
The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
Bloodborne
Marvel's Spider-Man
The horror... the horror...

Micolash

Neo Member
A lot of these aggregated type lists is that they are just very safe and inoffensive since it's not what games people felt strongly positive about, but rather just what most people generally liked but very few people felt strongly negative about. Some of the games I've enjoyed most this generation are love-it or hate-it type games.

Reading this list just reminds me how massive my backlog is though lol.

DansDans

While I appreciate the post, I think I speak for us all when I say I don’t give a shit what Reddit thinks about anything, let alone informing my $60 PS4 purchases. Only Facebook and Twitter contain a higher amount of stupid, and that’s debatable.

I would be very interested to see this repeated with Gaf, however.

*clears throat*

Just those two places? I think we can ALL think of another place

Gamernyc78

Banned

🧂🧂🧂🧂🧂 Is real in this one, what a view lol 😂 😂 😂 😂 wonder how you would compare this with other consoles that are far far less diverse 😂😂😂

Last edited:
9. Bloodborne: mean score – 9.06 based on 813 votes
  • Metacritic critic score – 92
  • Metacritic user score – 89

11. Bloodborne 2nd Poll (PS+): mean score – 9.0 based on 433 votes

26. Detroit: Become Human: mean score – 8.75 based on 1,171 votes
  • Metacritic critic score – 78
  • Metacritic user score – 87

37. Detroit: Become Human (PS+): mean score – 8.6 based on 126 votes

26ejgz.jpg

This list definitely comes from the internet.

Last edited:

ranmafan

Wow now looking at the extra replies and rechecking the list, I’m going to take back my statement, this isn’t an ok list, it’s a weird list. Games listed twice because they were on PlayStation+? Also you have Shenmue 2 listed, which should be a compilation game but it’s listed separately, while the borderlands collection is listed as one title. That’s all weird. I can’t take this list serious at all anymore.

Fbh

Can't say it aligns too much with mine but good for them

9. Bloodborne: mean score – 9.06 based on 813 votes

11. Bloodborne 2nd Poll (PS+): mean score – 9.0 based on 433 votes

26. Detroit: Become Human: mean score – 8.75 based on 1,171 votes

37. Detroit: Become Human (PS+): mean score – 8.6 based on 126 votes

26ejgz.jpg

This list definitely comes from the internet.

Yeah that's weird. Sort of implies your opinion on a game is less valid if your played it through Ps+ or something

🧂🧂🧂🧂🧂 Is real in this one, what a view lol 😂 😂 😂 😂 wonder how you would compare this with other consoles that are far far less diverse 😂😂😂

Given I own about 13 of those games on the list, and own 15 consoles over 25 years with various genres of games, on top of a few good GAFFERS knowing how passionate I am about all games, I haven't really been critical but spoken the truth.

But keep insisting I am an anti-Sony fanperson because I don't play the cookie cutter AAA games.

I agree with 50% of that list but the remakes are ridiculous.

If a Switch top 50 came out and had 14 Wii U remasters as well as Super Monkey Ball and Xenoblade Chronicles I would have said the exact same thing.

As a SEGA fan, we see fanboy wars from afar these days. ;)

P.S: The link actually says there are 17 remasters in the list, so the salt comment was for naught.

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned
Really diverse when most of the list is third party games and remasters.
That’s the nature of the game. Everyone likes to act like exclusives are the be all, end all, but third party games are where all the bread and butter comes from.

It’s not rocket appliances.

Top Bottom