• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Trump Sharpie thing re Dorian

Liberty4all

Nov 11, 2007
I've got a buddy harassing me daily about how he thinks Trump lied about Dorian due to the sharpie thing and is now doubling down on the lie. I don't have the time to research this properly... It looked like blown up ridiculous outrage to me.

The dates on the maps Trump showed as evidence are earlier though than the news conference.

I just don't understand my acquaintance... He's acting like this is the end of the world I was like dude who cares. Buddy is demanding I admit Trump lied I'm like... I'm gong to the cottage this weekend I don't care and I doubt very much he lied.

Anyone have harder data so I can argue this when I get back from vacation?

Last edited:

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Feb 9, 2009
It's just another one of those times where Trump said something wasn't true, didn't want to admit that his statement wasn't true, doubled down on it, and then his people laughingly used a marker to make it look like Alabama was still part of the predicted trajectory.

and I doubt very much he lied.

Last edited:

Woo-Fu

incest on the subway
Jan 2, 2007
Can someone explain The sharpie thing to me, I didn’t follow it.
Trump tweeted that the storm was going to hit Alabama. Later in the week he took an outdated storm-track chart and used a sharpie to mark in Alabama/Georgia as "proof".

I mean, it feels like an SNL skit but it is real life. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

As far as the OP doubting very much that Trump lied: :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy:

He didn't lie about Dorian hitting Alabama. He was just incorrect. I'm sure he believed it as he said it. Instead of admitting he might have made a mistake he takes an outdated chart and alters it with a sharpie to explain why he said what he said. Then when asked about the altered chart he says, "I don't know. I don't know. I don't know."

Last edited:
Reactions: Hotspurr

Woo-Fu

incest on the subway
Jan 2, 2007
Yeah, this isn't really anything new for Trump. Maybe a little more blatant but he does stuff like this practically daily, nobody should be batting an eye at this point.

finowns

May 10, 2009
It’s a dumb story the media wants to get one on Trump, Trump stubbornly won't admit he was wrong (which actually usually works for him). So the media sees Trump as an enemy and Trump sees them as an enemy this is the current meta, I’m sure the New York Times is working on the expose.

Joe T.

Oct 3, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
It's completely overblown like so much else. I watched the press briefing (full Youtube video, it comes up right at the start) and was puzzled to see "SharpieGate" trending because what he was trying to communicate was simply that Alabama got lucky, one of the many possible trajectories projected earlier on had it heading towards the gulf of Mexico. Alabama's National Guard tweeted out a warning to residents about it on August 30th.

That he or anyone else on his staff felt the need to emphasize that on a printed map with a sharpie is deserving of no more than a few words in passing and some good-natured ribbing on late night comedy shows, but since the Democrats have failed to nail him on anything they can use to impeach him they continue using propaganda tactics to smear him, the hope being that this 3+ year campaign will either piss people off enough to vote against him or tire his supporters out.

One of my closest friends is a die-hard liberal, vehemently anti-Trump and he's bought every single story the media has sold him, even refusing to concede after proven wrong, so I know what it's like. I relish the absurdity of it, though, because I can see him slowly bending in our conversations. The liberal Twitter mob came after him last week, so... all in due time. :messenger_ok:

#Phonepunk#

Gold Member
Sep 4, 2018
it's hilarious to me. like anyone has ever come to the US President for the weather forecast before.

i dunno, a this point i just want Trump to do these things to piss off those people.

12Goblins

Mar 1, 2017
^Yes from what I understand he was going off that old data (See: date), was corrected publicly by the National Weather Service, and then I guess he's insecure enough to go off and do some Michael Scott level shit:

Definitely a bit strange.

After more ridicule, he then escalated things a bit when he made the homeland security advisor release this...

Bonus:

clinging on to an old picture that shows a 5% chance of 40mph winds ...

some of the memes have been pretty good I guess

but mostly it's been a giant embarrassment.

Last edited:

Cybrwzrd

Anime waifu panty shots are basically the same thing as paintings of the french baroque masters, if you think about it.
Sep 29, 2014
I think this whole sharpiegate thing is ridiculous, and that the media, leftists and trump are all fucking idiots and need to shut the fuck up.

Up until about the 12z model runs on 8/29, a crossing of Florida into the GoM and a second landfall on the panhandle crossing into Florida into Georgia was being shown. Then Dorian decided it wanted to defy the models and wrecked the Bahamas.

Trump was likely being briefed on this as a possibility. And he made the first comment on 8/30 I think? Maybe with some old info. He wasn’t wrong though.

You know what is more important than all this shit? Helping the victims. That 30 number being shown is far from what it will be.

There are so many unaccounted for on this list.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
Mar 5, 2009
Our media and government will spend a week obsessing over a sharpie line drawn on a map.

Liberty4all

Nov 11, 2007
Thanks all.

My take on it was that Trump used outdated information (press conference with the sharpie was on the 4th I believe). Perhaps not even outdated? Trump has insisted that the Intel was correct. I just can't figure it all out.

It doesn't seem very important but for some lefties are acting like this is the end of the world including my bar buddy.

Can you believe he told me we would have to cut ties if I don't answer him that I think Trump lied? I was like dude wtf is wrong with you ? You have got some serious TDS.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
Mar 5, 2009
Thanks all.

My take on it was that Trump used outdated information (press conference with the sharpie was on the 4th I believe). Perhaps not even outdated? Trump has insisted that the Intel was correct. I just can't figure it all out.

It doesn't seem very important but for some lefties are acting like this is the end of the world including my bar buddy.

Can you believe he told me we would have to cut ties if I don't answer him that I think Trump lied? I was like dude wtf is wrong with you ? You have got some serious TDS.
You should order your friend a pack of the Trump sharpies someone linked above.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Dec 3, 2013
Cracking up at the responses, “this isn’t funny anymore!

Then stop following him and turn off the TV or social media you dumb chucklehead.

It’s only not funny when you take it personal.

Teletraan1

May 17, 2012
Canada
Headlines tomorrow. Trump tweets doctored footage to cover his lies.

MSNBC and CNN have already dedicated 145 minutes to this tan suit nonsense.

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2018
^Yes from what I understand he was going off that old data (See: date), was corrected publicly by the National Weather Service, and then I guess he's insecure enough to go off and do some Michael Scott level shit:

Definitely a bit strange.

After more ridicule, he then escalated things a bit when he made the homeland security advisor release this...

Bonus:

clinging on to an old picture that shows a 5% chance of 40mph winds ...

some of the memes have been pretty good I guess

but mostly it's been a giant embarrassment.

That show tha trump is only a ignoran person. With a blind EGO.

BTW is not a conspiracy from China 🤭... Pfffff

Last edited:

KINGMOKU

May 16, 2005
Holy shit CNN has to be seeeeeeething. He's been baiting them all week lmfao
I used to(and sometimes still do)hate it when Trump would tweet out things that were unnecessary, or inflammatory but lately I've begun to embrace his position.

The double speak from the media, and insanity of the left deserves it.

Bullet Club

Gold Member
Oct 24, 2017
I thought this thread was going to be about Trump sticking Sharpies up his bum on a cam show. Again.

MisterFalcon

Mar 12, 2013
Negotiating with America's sworn enemies who facilitated 9/11 is not what 2012 Donald Trump would call a win.

AaronB

May 5, 2013
Negotiating with America's sworn enemies who facilitated 9/11 is not what 2012 Donald Trump would call a win.

Donald Trump claimed he's wanted to pull out of Afghanistan for years. He needs to actually do it already.

Last edited:

oagboghi2

Apr 15, 2018

Donald Trump claimed he's wanted to pull out of Afghanistan for years. He needs to actually do it already.
If he just pulls out that is potentially giving oxygen to groups like the taliban to resurface.

If he gets a treaty, even a simple cease fire we can safely start pulling large numbers of troops out. If the taliban renege on the deal we can quickly counter them.

At some point there has to be peace talks. I’m honestly surprised so many people on the left are against it.