• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Trump Sharpie thing re Dorian

TheContact

Formerly 'TesUsa'
Jan 22, 2016
You are. Look at how much effort you are putting into this. And you aren't convincing anyone. It's a sad state of affairs for liberals.
You think this is putting in a lot of effort? lol. I'm just linking facts.
I'm also not a "liberal". My views are more in the center.

Ah yes. It would be much better for him to snidely remark about guns and immigrants. That would show how in-touch he is. I see.
Hopefully he's learned his lesson after he inspired the murder in Charlottesville and recently in Texas tbh. Hopefully.

Last edited:
  • Triggered
Reactions: Ornlu

Cybrwzrd

Anime waifu panty shots are basically the same thing as paintings of the french baroque masters, if you think about it.
Sep 29, 2014
Yeah they were ready in case it hit...you have to be prepared. They also prepared to help their sister states, that's how it works. I'm not obsessed with trying to play gotcha because it doesn't take that much effort to do it. I'm more concerned with the fact that you think it's OK for him to be so out of touch with important things like Hurricanes. He also said no one has ever seen a category 5 hurricane yet there have been like 4 of them since he's been President. He's just so out of touch.
Deflect mode activate.

Anyway, is there of a video of him saying those things? It is widely reported but I’d like to hear the actual context of his comment there. The media has a tendency to take things out of context.

My views are more in the center.
Center? Of what?

Last edited:

TheContact

Formerly 'TesUsa'
Jan 22, 2016
It's going to be another rough election for you little guy.
Either way is fine for me if he gets re-elected. I work in law enforcement and Trump has done a lot for us. I just don't agree with a lot of his policies outside of law enforcement.

monegames

Sep 26, 2014
You think this is putting in a lot of effort? lol. I'm just linking facts.
I'm also not a "liberal". My views are more in the center.

Hopefully he's learned his lesson after he inspired the murder in Charlottesville and recently in Texas tbh. Hopefully.
Yep definitely in the center.

Reactions: ConnorDuffy1977

TheContact

Formerly 'TesUsa'
Jan 22, 2016
Deflect mode activate.

Anyway, is there of a video of him saying those things? It is widely reported but I’d like to hear the actual context of his comment there. The media has a tendency to take things out of context.
Yeah just please watch the whole thing it's only 1:25 or so
There's other videos too if you just search Trump Category 5

Last edited:

TheContact

Formerly 'TesUsa'
Jan 22, 2016
None of those have any context.
???

In 2017 he said he's never heard of a category 5 hurricane
in 2019 he said he's never heard of a category 5 hurricane

There have been 4 category 5 hurricanes since he's been in office.

Are you just fucking with me at this point? What context do you need?

TheContact

Formerly 'TesUsa'
Jan 22, 2016
Yep definitely in the center.
President: Alt-white people are fine people (post Charlottesville murder)
President: laughs when someone says the solution to immigration is to shoot them
President: tweets constantly about the threat of illegal immigration
Mentally disturbed individual: shoots immigrants
President: thoughts and prayers. mental health issues. (does nothing to do mental health background checks when purchasing guns after speaking with the NRA)

Reactions: womfalcs3

Ornlu

Oct 31, 2018
President: laughs when someone says the solution to immigration is to shoot them
President: thoughts and prayers. mental health issues. (does nothing to do mental health background checks when purchasing guns after speaking with the NRA)
Gonna call BS on that one. Saying "Those white nationalists there were terrible disgusting people. Other than them, there were fine people on both sides of the protest" is not the same as what you are claiming he said. You can listen to/read the actual quote if that is a point of contention. I don't blame you for thinking that he said white nationalists were fine people, as most of the media ran with that (and still does).

desertdroog

Aug 12, 2008
I've posted this before on this forum regarding President Donald Trump's statements on Charlottesville. You think with the power of Google, people would still be able to cut through the fake news.

...Here are the unambiguous actual words of President Trump:

Excuse me, they didn’t put themselves down as neo-Nazis, and you had some very bad people in that group. But you also had people that were very fine people on both sides. You had people in that group – excuse me, excuse me, I saw the same pictures you did. You had people in that group that were there to protest the taking down of, to them, a very, very important statue and the renaming of a park from Robert E. Lee to another name.

After another question at that press conference, Trump became even more explicit:

I’m not talking about the neo-Nazis and white nationalists because they should be condemned totally.” ...

Last edited:

TheContact

Formerly 'TesUsa'
Jan 22, 2016
Gonna call BS on that one. Saying "Those white nationalists there were terrible disgusting people. Other than them, there were fine people on both sides of the protest" is not the same as what you are claiming he said. You can listen to/read the actual quote if that is a point of contention. I don't blame you for thinking that he said white nationalists were fine people, as most of the media ran with that (and still does).
Yeah I take that back sentence back. I re-watched the clip and what he said there was reasonable. Condemned white nationalist and neo-nazis but basically said both people had good people in it but also bad people in it.

Reactions: Ornlu

Cybrwzrd

Anime waifu panty shots are basically the same thing as paintings of the french baroque masters, if you think about it.
Sep 29, 2014
???

Do you know what context means? A single quote without any of the conversation around it means little.

Trump is also always hyperbolic, I don’t think he means exactly what you are taking it as.

Joe T.

Oct 3, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
???

Trump and hyperbole go hand in hand. The best, the biggest, the most tremendous, never been seen before, and on and on. It's so common that I think it's glossed over by many of his supporters. Trump is more straight-forward and blunt than previous presidents, but taking his words literally would be a mistake just the same. Unfortunately, I find self-described liberals I speak to do take what he says literally, which explains a lot of the divisiveness centered around his language.

Washington Post and mainstream media in general have lowered the bar on a lot of things, including what qualifies for a lie to suit their needs, in this case making sure Trump's number is exceptionally high because they want him out of office ASAP. Truth is, it doesn't do anyone any good to fixate on the accuracy of his language when it's of little importance, as is the case with his comment about category 5 hurricanes, because it doesn't wind up factoring into how he goes about addressing the issues like disaster relief, federal aid, etc. "Words matter" is a mantra of mine, ironically enough, but he's doing the same thing the media is doing, playing everything up even when there's absolutely no need for it. It might be dangerous in an entirely different context, like if this was a conventional politician and war hawk serving as POTUS, but in Trump's case it's par for the course and everyone should know how to interpret his words by now.

If the press wasn't acting as an arm of the resistance they'd be able to counter with something like a jovial "You know you said the same thing the last time a hurricane 5 was headed to the US" and he'd either respond with a smile, saying "You might be right" or maybe even reveal that he truly did forget.

I'm sure almost everyone would prefer he was a better/more accurate speaker - it would help him overcome Dem resistance, for one - but I doubt the 63 million voters that put him in office want to go back to the ambiguous, double-speaking style of your typical politician. Gotta take the bad with the good. A politically incorrect Democrat running in the 2020 race could steal a significant number of Trump's supporters, but the 25+ candidates that stepped up so far have been walking on eggshells for the most part, careful not to anger the tiny minority of very outspoken left-wing radicals on social media.

Last edited:

Cybrwzrd

Sep 29, 2014
the 25+ candidates that stepped up so far have been walking on eggshells for the most part, careful not to anger the tiny minority of very outspoken left-wing radicals on social media
Well except for Gabbard. The woke think she is a member of the alt right though and supported by Russians.

Reactions: Joe T.

Damage Inc

Nov 10, 2013
I hadn't seen this new published news, now it appears the NOAA is now actually not defending that statement, looks like maybe he did get to someone there?
that was in the cnn link I posted up above. Or atleast the meat of it before it devolved into reeeee

ah. I miss read what you were saying. I though you said it wasn’t published. Brain fart.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nymphae

TheContact

Formerly 'TesUsa'
Jan 22, 2016
Trump and hyperbole go hand in hand. The best, the biggest, the most tremendous, never been seen before, and on and on. It's so common that I think it's glossed over by many of his supporters. Trump is more straight-forward and blunt than previous presidents, but taking his words literally would be a mistake just the same. Unfortunately, I find self-described liberals I speak to do take what he says literally, which explains a lot of the divisiveness centered around his language.

Washington Post and mainstream media in general have lowered the bar on a lot of things, including what qualifies for a lie to suit their needs, in this case making sure Trump's number is exceptionally high because they want him out of office ASAP. Truth is, it doesn't do anyone any good to fixate on the accuracy of his language when it's of little importance, as is the case with his comment about category 5 hurricanes, because it doesn't wind up factoring into how he goes about addressing the issues like disaster relief, federal aid, etc. "Words matter" is a mantra of mine, ironically enough, but he's doing the same thing the media is doing, playing everything up even when there's absolutely no need for it. It might be dangerous in an entirely different context, like if this was a conventional politician and war hawk serving as POTUS, but in Trump's case it's par for the course and everyone should know how to interpret his words by now.

If the press wasn't acting as an arm of the resistance they'd be able to counter with something like a jovial "You know you said the same thing the last time a hurricane 5 was headed to the US" and he'd either respond with a smile, saying "You might be right" or maybe even reveal that he truly did forget.

I'm sure almost everyone would prefer he was a better/more accurate speaker - it would help him overcome Dem resistance, for one - but I doubt the 63 million voters that put him in office want to go back to the ambiguous, double-speaking style of your typical politician. Gotta take the bad with the good. A politically incorrect Democrat running in the 2020 race could steal a significant number of Trump's supporters, but the 25+ candidates that stepped up so far have been walking on eggshells for the most part, careful not to anger the tiny minority of very outspoken left-wing radicals on social media.
I get he’s hyperbolic but he said category 5. This isn’t some arbitrary ambiguous rating of hurricane. It’s not that he called it an extremely powerful storm (cat5 is insanely deadly I don’t think hyperbole is enough). It’s that he said he’s never seen cat5 even though he’s been in office with 4 storms that were cat5. I just don’t understand that.

Joe T.

Oct 3, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
I get he’s hyperbolic but he said category 5. This isn’t some arbitrary ambiguous rating of hurricane. It’s not that he called it an extremely powerful storm (cat5 is insanely deadly I don’t think hyperbole is enough). It’s that he said he’s never seen cat5 even though he’s been in office with 4 storms that were cat5. I just don’t understand that.
That's the language divide I was speaking about. If you focus exclusively on the line where he says he's never heard of a category 5 it raises eyebrows - what the media wants because that's how they attract attention - but when you include what he said just before and after it's easy to see that he was just trying to make the storm sound like something unprecedented (where the hyperbole comes in, "I'm not sure that I've ever even heard of a category 5, I know that it existed..."). That story isn't interesting enough to sell, though. There are montage videos showing him repeating very similar language for the other cat 5 hurricanes:

It's a very familiar pattern of behavior that's easy to see through. The media outlets up in arms about Trump lying about it aren't technically wrong, but they're frauds trying to capitalize on emotions rather than aiming to inform.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cybrwzrd

womfalcs3

May 11, 2007
Good post.

To add,

PRESIDENT CHEETO: Mexico is sending their rapists, drug dealers, and murderers... oh, I assume some are good people, too.

Last edited:

Bolivar687

Jun 13, 2014
USA
I've been a bit out of the loop on the cable news cycle, so when I finally learned what this whole sharpie thing was about, it reoriented my perspective on just how petty and desperate they are. Its astonishing, really.