• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The TV thread

I'm not sure if we have a thread to talk about gameing displays for pc or console so I figure it make one. I'm in the market for a new 4k 120 hertz display. I am looking for something non oled as we all know the c8 and b8 from lg are considered the best game tv's. Can anyone recommend a good 4k hdr 120 hertz tv? I'm building a game room and wanted a tv that can handle the 4k 120 fps Scarlett and ps5 are saying they can do. Also feel free to share opinions on tvs in general or show your set ups.

Thank you

kingwingin

Be careful of back light refresh.

Some HDTV's have pwm flicker even at full brightness. This can cause a rapid duplication of a moving object.

Most people wont ever notice this but I could tell instantly when I bought my nu8000. So either make sure its flicker free or buy a a screen with 960hz backlight

68QYESE.jpg

Last edited:

Ulysses 31

I'm very content with my Samsung QLED Q950R/Q900R. It's 8K which won't get much use for a while but some reviews said its AI upscaling can make 4K upscaled to 8K look better than native 4K shown on a 4K display. It has low input lag, good game mode that needs some color tweaking at first, it supports 120 Hrz, FreeSync, the QLED makes it immune to burn ins. There's even motion plus for gamemode which helps remove 30 fps judder very well.

If you got spare cash to burn, a good soundbar is the Sonos Playbase with the subwoofer and 2 Sonos One satelite speakers for 5.1.

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
I think 4K stays around for a little longer than 1080p, you got viewers just entering the flat screen arena and I could see TV scaling down in size and scaling up in picture quality (8K).

CyberPanda

Banned
I'm not sure if we have a thread to talk about gameing displays for pc or console so I figure it make one. I'm in the market for a new 4k 120 hertz display. I am looking for something non oled as we all know the c8 and b8 from lg are considered the best game tv's. Can anyone recommend a good 4k hdr 120 hertz tv? I'm building a game room and wanted a tv that can handle the 4k 120 fps Scarlett and ps5 are saying they can do. Also feel free to share opinions on tvs in general or show your set ups.

Thank you
What is your budget? That's the most important factor in your decision.

Last edited:

McRazzle

!!!!! WARNING OP and anyone else planning on buying a new TV !!!!!

If you want a 120HZ refresh rate you have to make sure you get a 240HZ tv.

The industry terminology used for tv specs are; "Effective Refresh Rate", or "Motion Rate" for Samsung tv's.
120 HZ "Effective Refresh Rate/Motion Rate" is actually 60HZ and 240 HZ "Effective Refresh Rate/Motion Rate" is actually 120 HZ

Sorry to inform anyone that has a stated 120HZ tv, but you actually have a 60HZ tv.
As far as I know there are no straight up rated 120HZ/240HZ tv's.
No telling how many people have been fucked over by this.

You also need to make sure your tv has HDMI 2.1 or you won't be able to take advantage of a 120 HZ refresh rate.

Ulysses 31

Sorry to inform anyone that has a stated 120HZ tv, but you actually have a 60HZ tv.

You also need to make sure your tv has HDMI 2.1 or you won't be able to take advantage of a 120 HZ refresh rate.
And sorry to inform you that the TV I mentioned has true 120 Hz. :lollipop_grinning: :lollipop_grinning: :lollipop_grinning:

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/samsung/q900-q900r-8k-qled#comparison_2485 confirms it, as did my 2080TI when I hooked it up to my PC.

Mattyp

Gold Member
And sorry to inform you that the TV I mentioned has true 120 Hz. :lollipop_grinning: :lollipop_grinning: :lollipop_grinning:

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/samsung/q900-q900r-8k-qled#comparison_2485 confirms it, as did my 2080TI when I hooked it up to my PC.

There's plenty out there that do it now we'll maybe not plenty, my Samsung does 120hz. But McRazzle is right, the best bet is to read the manual for anyone reading this! The manual will dictate what Hz on what port and what resolution. Vast majority still only have one port that is 2.1 and 120hz capable! Be aware of where you plug your gaming system into guys or PC.

manual.jpg

CyberPanda

Banned
This is the second best 4K/HDR set for gaming OP. And it’s not an OLED.

It’s the second TV in the link below:

Iorv3th

!!!!! WARNING OP and anyone else planning on buying a new TV !!!!!

The industry terminology used for tv specs are; "Effective Refresh Rate", or "Motion Rate" for Samsung tv's.
120 HZ "Effective Refresh Rate/Motion Rate" is actually 60HZ and 240 HZ "Effective Refresh Rate/Motion Rate" is actually 120 HZ

My Sony is 120hz, but only at 1080p It's not 120 at 4k.

I don't know if there are any 4k tv's that are actually 120hz at 4k display right now.

I think you will have to wait a few years for that.

Ulysses 31

I don't know if there are any 4k tv's that are actually 120hz at 4k display right now.
The one I mentioned is. :lollipop_grinning:
Though you need an HDMI 2.1 source if you also want full RGB.
There's plenty out there that do it now we'll maybe not plenty, my Samsung does 120hz. But McRazzle is right, the best bet is to read the manual for anyone reading this! The manual will dictate what Hz on what port and what resolution. Vast majority still only have one port that is 2.1 and 120hz capable! Be aware of where you plug your gaming system into guys or PC.
HDMI 2.0 can do 4K at 120 Hz but not at full RGB.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Lg oled 2019 models are hdmi 2.1
So 4k at 120fps.

Then again hardly worth it as noting can drive it.
And by the time something can drive this.
We have better tv's anyway.

It's like the first gen 4k screens that could run 30fps max.

New tech is new

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
4k 120 fps Scarlett and ps5 are saying they can do.

Just so you know, if this is even a thing, it'll be indies only. It's going to be more like a choice between 1080p 120, 4k 60 and 8k 30.

I dunno how much you game on PC, personally I like to have a high refresh rate on my monitors (165hz @ 1440p currently) and now that I've got an OLED TV, I doubt I'll ever go back. The picture pops in a way that's simply not possible on any other panel, it's beautiful.

As I was writing the above on a desktop, I got a "just for you: here's a 4K TV" notification from eBay on my phone. No fucking way that's a coincidence. Everyone uninstall everything, quick.

Last edited:

Whitecrow

Banned
I'm very content with my Samsung QLED Q950R/Q900R. It's 8K which won't get much use for a while but some reviews said its AI upscaling can make 4K upscaled to 8K look better than native 4K shown on a 4K display. It has low input lag, good game mode that needs some color tweaking at first, it supports 120 Hrz, FreeSync, the QLED makes it immune to burn ins. There's even motion plus for gamemode which helps remove 30 fps judder very well.

If you got spare cash to burn, a good soundbar is the Sonos Playbase with the subwoofer and 2 Sonos One satelite speakers for 5.1.
In what business are you working at? I want my bank account to be like yours.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Just buy a monitor if you are worried about THE FUTURE

What you want, from my understanding, is a TV that does Black Frame Insertion. Because BFI requires the panel to be able to update at twice the input refresh rate so that it can insert black frames between each frame coming from the GPU it means for 60Hz the panel is actually refreshing at 120Hz. Those displays can do 120Hz just fine (because they already are internally), they just don't expose it to the display adapter...of course on a PC it's trivial to create a custom resolution with 120Hz as the refresh...

Last edited:

Spukc

There's a risk of permanent burn in with OLED, at least with the older models. The main reason I went with QLED.
Just as much bullshit as the plasma power consumption and "burn in"

Meant to scare people away from better new tech.

Sessions of 8 hours and static huds.

Zero burn in 🤣

Play tetris effect on an oled.
And compare it to lcd tech

You will bin that lcd "Q" led tv

Last edited:

Ulysses 31

Zero burn in 🤣
I've had first hand experience with burn in with an LG OLED.

You can see for yourself what kind of burn you can get with a C7.

real-burn-in-week-72-tv-3-red-small.jpg

I went from OLED to QLED, the quality difference is not as drastic as you make it seem.

Last edited:

Mattyp

Gold Member

Zero burn in 🤣

Definitely not bullshit, my original Pioneer plasma got completely fucked from burn in.

My mates OLED started to have ghosting from a kids channel. No doubt they’re better then what they used to be but there’s a very good reason there’s no OLED computer monitors.

I don’t think OLED is the long term answer my QLED is black as black and beautiful panel, really waiting for microLED from Samsung to hit consumer level. Being able to create a borderless wall TV? Yes please.

I think you will have to wait a few years for that.

Plenty of new Samsung’s do it, would say their entire 2019 lineup, and majority of last year to.

Last edited:

Spukc

I've had first hand experience with burn in with an LG OLED.

You can see for yourself what kind of burn you can get with a C7.

real-burn-in-week-72-tv-3-red-small.jpg

I went from OLED to QLED, the quality difference is not as drastic as you make it seem.
if i got a penny every time that rting article showed up on oled threads
i would have gotten my tv for free.

i have said c7 nothing here and several friends also got the same telly after seeing the quality jump in oled vs lcd.
then again i ditched lcd the second plasma had the right protection against said "issues"

i sold tv's as a student for about 6 years.
oled is nothing like it was at first so was plasma back in the day.
Never get into tech day 1. always wait for it to mature a bit.

lcd however never impresses me with the dark settings.
Even high end FALD is just not up to par. Not even talking about the price of said high end models.
As all tech ofc LCD got way better then it used to be but it can't beat the original flaw.
That plasma fixed ages ago.
I can not watch a Qled without noticing the broken blacks vs oled.
Sure it can get brighter but at what cost..

i have said c7 nothing here and several friends also got the same telly after seeing the quality jump in oled vs lcd.
then again i ditched lcd the second plasma had the right protection against said "issues"

i sold tv's as a student for about 6 years.
oled is nothing like it was at first so was plasma back in the day.
Never get into tech day 1. always wait for it to mature a bit.

lcd however never impresses me with the dark settings.
Even high end FALD is just not up to par. Not even talking about the price of said high end models.
As all tech ofc LCD got way better then it used to be but it can't beat the original flaw.
That plasma fixed ages ago.
I can not watch a Qled without noticing the broken blacks vs oled.
Sure it can get brighter but at what cost..
It doesn't matter how mature OLED is. Burn in is a fundamental flaw of the tech. Because the pixels themselves are OLEDs that emit light, as LEDs age they dim and brighter LEDs are being fed a higher voltage and thus age faster than than dimmer LEDs, uneven wear is inevitable. That's not necessarily a problem...unless you regularly have HUDs on your screen...or news station banners. Just because you can't see it yet doesn't mean the uneven wear isn't there. It's there right now and sooner or later it's going to rear its ugly head. Sooner or later you're going to notice a channel logo, or an ammo counter...or a speedometer...or a minimap. Once it's there there's no getting rid of it either. It's "burned" in. This is especially problematic for PCs because they have a lot of static on screen elements which will eventually be static on screen elements on every other input as well.

The only solution to this is to divorce the emission of light from the pixel itself by using a backlight...but those TVs exist and they're called LCD. So...yeah. Pick your poison, not quite black blacks, or a permanent Windows 10 Start Menu icon. Me personally, I'll take the not quite black blacks.

Spukc

It doesn't matter how mature OLED is. Burn in is a fundamental flaw of the tech. Because the pixels themselves are OLEDs that emit light, as LEDs age they dim and brighter LEDs are being fed a higher voltage and thus age faster than than dimmer LEDs, uneven wear is inevitable. That's not necessarily a problem...unless you regularly have HUDs on your screen...or news station banners. Just because you can't see it yet doesn't mean the uneven wear isn't there. It's there right now and sooner or later it's going to rear its ugly head. Sooner or later you're going to notice a channel logo, or an ammo counter...or a speedometer...or a minimap. Once it's there there's no getting rid of it either. It's "burned" in. This is especially problematic for PCs because they have a lot of static on screen elements which will eventually be static on screen elements on every other input as well.

The only solution to this is to divorce the emission of light from the pixel itself by using a backlight...but those TVs exist and they're called LCD. So...yeah. Pick your poison, not quite black blacks, or a permanent Windows 10 Start Menu icon. Me personally, I'll take the not quite black blacks.
Just as plasma it's how you use it.
I guess watching 8 hours of cnn a day is not good.

Pixel retention is not the same as pixel burn in.
pixel shift, pixel refresh cleaning programs when tv is off they do work.
I can easily play games with static huds for 8 hours straight and see nothing.

Had this discussion a million times with plasma's too.
People act paranoid online pointing to some insane stress test that shows unnatural use.

If you want to enjoy those really dark movies go plasma or oled.
Or old 4:3 content. As the rest of the screen is basically off.
Making your tv look like whatever shape the content is.
Esp if you play in a dark room at night.
It makes loading screens like in uncharted 4 look almost 3d

You really have to treat your tv like a complete tool to actually achieve permanent burn it.
Then again we had all this parrot talk when plasma's where obv better then lcd.
and the only thing people talked about was power consumption and burn in.

Ulysses 31

Well, all you have to do is show me how they're wrong and I'll think twice before linking to them in the future. :lollipop_grinning:

I bought my first OLED in 2016 and it was a huge jump in quality over the Samsung LCD I used before then. The switch I made from OLED to QLED didn't come with a very noticeable reduction in picture quality for me. Gaming is actually better with the QLED's lower input lag, better gamemode and support for FreeSync. Even if the colors and contrasts pop a little less than the OLED, it's nowhere near an intolerable downgrade. Can't say I have noticed broken black levels either.

Maybe if I watch a lot of (4K)blu rays on both TVs it might expose the differences in picture quality in favor of the OLED to the point it might start to bother me but for now I'm very pleased with my QLED.

Just as plasma it's how you use it.
I guess watching 8 hours of cnn a day is not good.

Pixel retention is not the same as pixel burn in.
pixel shift, pixel refresh cleaning programs when tv is off they do work.
I can easily play games with static huds for 8 hours straight and see nothing.

Had this discussion a million times with plasma's too.
People act paranoid online pointing to some insane stress test that shows unnatural use.

If you want to enjoy those really dark movies go plasma or oled.
Or old 4:3 content. As the rest of the screen is basically off.
Making your tv look like whatever shape the content is.
Esp if you play in a dark room at night.
It makes loading screens like in uncharted 4 look almost 3d

You really have to treat your tv like a complete tool to actually achieve permanent burn it.
Then again we had all this parrot talk when plasma's where obv better then lcd.
and the only thing people talked about was power consumption and burn in.
It's not retention. Retention is not permanent and will fade over about half an hour max. Retention is what LCDs have (which never have actual burn in). OLEDs suffer from actual burn in. There is a very good reason there's only a handful of OLED monitors, burn is that reason. So what if you can play with static huds for 8 hours straight? Burn in isn't about how long something is on your screen in a single sitting, it's about how long something is on your screen in total. Every moment a pixel is on it's wearing out, the brighter it is the faster it's wearing. As it wears it's getting dimmer. It doesn't matter if that pixel is on max brightness for 7 hours a day once a week or 1 hour a day 7 days a week, the wear at the end of the week will be the same. Over time this adds up and the pixel gets dimmer and dimmer. If it's significantly brighter than the surrounding pixels it will get dimmer significantly faster than the surrounding pixels and eventually that wear will be noticable. That is burn in. That doesn't happen to LCD panels.

Aintitcool

Banned
I invested 2,300k euros in my E6 OLED LG. Love it to this day. Games look perfect after calibrations.

Last edited:

Ulysses 31

It's not retention. Retention is not permanent and will fade over about half an hour max. Retention is what LCDs have (which never have actual burn in). OLEDs suffer from actual burn in. There is a very good reason there's only a handful of OLED monitors, burn is that reason. So what if you can play with static huds for 8 hours straight? Burn in isn't about how long something is on your screen in a single sitting, it's about how long something is on your screen in total. Every moment a pixel is on it's wearing out, the brighter it is the faster it's wearing. As it wears it's getting dimmer. It doesn't matter if that pixel is on max brightness for 7 hours a day once a week or 1 hour a day 7 days a week, the wear at the end of the week will be the same. Over time this adds up and the pixel gets dimmer and dimmer. If it's significantly brighter than the surrounding pixels it will get dimmer significantly faster than the surrounding pixels and eventually that wear will be noticable. That is burn in. That doesn't happen to LCD panels.
Is it really that bad? Don't current OLEDs have tech to "revitalize" the pixels?

Ulysses 31

lcd also burns in common mistake people think it can't burn in.

Samsung claims it's been fixed with QLED. :lollipop_grinning:

Is it really that bad? Don't current OLEDs have tech to "revitalize" the pixels?
Nope. The only way to "revitalize" it is to replace the panel...and they ain't cheap. You can hide it by using a negative image to even out the wear...but then you're just wearing out the rest of the screen to hide the burn in.

lcd also burns in common mistake people think it can't burn in.

Maybe it's a common mistake because in the last 15-20 odd years I've literally never seen a single LCD that has suffered actual burn in, instead of image retention. Even show units don't exhibit it...unlike show OLED units which almost always do (if a store ever offers you one at a lower price run to the hills).

Last edited:

Spukc

Nope. The only way to "revitalize" it is to replace the panel...and they ain't cheap. You can hide it by using a negative image to even out the wear...but then you're just wearing out the rest of the screen to hide the burn in.

Maybe it's a common mistake because in the last 15-20 odd years I've literally never seen a single LCD that has suffered actual burn in, instead of image retention. Even show units don't exhibit it...unlike show OLED units which almost always do (if a store ever offers you one at a lower price run to the hills).
You must not fly a lot then
check airports plenty of lcd arrival/departure monitors that suffer from severe burn in.

Again it's all about use
None of this shit matters for your average user.
But millions of potential buyers are put of by this info.
Then again if my direct competitor owned the only manufacturer of large screen oleds for a good price.
I would focus on the burn in issues.
And scare away people.
Oh and name my ancient lcd tech Q-led to confuse new costumers.

Imma go back to my oled now and play some terraria with plenty of static huds.

You must not fly a lot then
check airports plenty of lcd arrival/departure monitors that suffer from severe burn in.

Again it's all about use
Oh and name my ancient lcd tech Q-led to confuse new costumers.

Imma go back to my oled now and play some terraria with plenty of static huds.
Again, image retention, not burn in. I guarentee you take those units and display a blank image for long enough and it'll fade. Burn in doesn't do that.
As for QLED...you can blame the dumbasses who named LCD panels with LED backlights LED TVs for that.

I'm learning so much. Seems to be a lot of talk on burn in for oled. Thats why I'm just avoiding it for now. What would you say are some of the best led tvs?

Thank you

CyberPanda

Banned
I'm learning so much. Seems to be a lot of talk on burn in for oled. Thats why I'm just avoiding it for now. What would you say are some of the best led tvs?

Thank you

fatty

I’m still rocking my Panasonic 54” plasma but maybe around Black Friday I will be checking this thread more frequently. I’d like to upgrade my audio receiver as well, but for now I am still pretty content with what I have. I find the older I get, the less concerned I become with black levels and refresh rates.

It’s a never ending battle to upgrade, so you’ve got to be careful to not get too consumed with it.

Goff2k

I thought it was a bad time to get a new TV because of some new tech coming out? Nevertheless I'm looking for a new TV soon. I will keep an eye on this thread.

Norse

Hows everyone feel a out the samsung Nu8000?
Love mine. I got it just for gaming as I have a 75" 4k Vizio for movies,etc. My nu8000 is a 55" and looks amazing with my 1X. Hdr looks great and the gaming enhancements built into the TV rock.

Hostile_18

Banned
Once you've gone OLED it's impossible to go back. I tried one of the top qleds and it was like playing with a filter on (both calibrated correctly).

If you watch a variety of content you really don't have to worry.

Hostile_18

Banned
I once was like you till I noticed burn in from playing too much Hyrule Warriors and Dark Souls Remastered. :lollipop_confounded:

What tv was it?

Did you play for hundreds of hours on each one without swapping content? I've had some pretty hefty game sessions on a few b8's and now a Panasonic with no issues, but they are 2018 models. Don't have it set on inaccurate vivid modes just to be safe.

I think you'd have to make a really concerted effort to get burn in these days unless your tv us faulty to begin with :)

Ulysses 31

What tv was it?

Did you play for hundreds of hours on each one without swapping content? I've had some pretty hefty game sessions on a few b8's and now a Panasonic with no issues, but they are 2018 models. Don't have it set on inaccurate vivid modes just to be safe.

I think you'd have to make a really concerted effort to get burn in these days unless your tv us faulty to begin with :)
LG 55EF950V which I bought in 2016 so I'm willing to assume things have improved with 2018/2019 models in that area. According to post #30 it doesn't really matter if it's in one sitting or not though.

Hyrule Warriors clocked at 210 hours, Dark Souls Remastered 90 hours.

Last edited:
Top Bottom