• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The U.S. House Erupts Into Chaos After LGBT Protection Amendment Narrowly Fails

Status
Not open for further replies.
And when you don't vote during the midterm elections, this is what happens. Stop getting mad at the Republican party for doing what they were elected to do and focus on electing your own party instead.

And when you don't vote during the midterm elections, this is what happens. Stop getting mad at the Republican party for doing what they were elected to do and focus on electing your own party instead.

29 did the exact opposite of what they were elected to do, which is discriminate apparently, but that doesn't change anything about the cowards that changed their votes or how much we're allowed to despise them and their ilk. It's worthy of anger, deal with it.

29 did the exactly opposite of what they were elected to do, which is discriminate apparently, but that doesn't change anything about the cowards that changed their votes or how much we're allowed to despise them or their ilk.
Well if all you do is bitch on the Internet but don't actually send your congressmen some letters or don't vote then it is a waste.

entremet

The riders are a bit troubling:

The amendment from Rep. Sean Patrick Maloney, D-New York, would have barred federal contracts to companies that discriminate against LGBT employees. It was an attempt to undo a provision inside a major defense bill the House passed a night earlier that would reverse President Obama's executive order extending anti-discrimination protections to federal contractors' LGBT employees

Well if all you do is bitch on the Internet but don't actually send your congressmen some letters or don't vote then it is a waste.

Yeah, I'm sure sending that shitty congressman from my state who switched up his vote a mean letter would do a ton of good, or a mean tweet would flip some switches. I do vote though, so nice try.

This is some villain shit.

I blame myself for not forcibly overtaking DC and asserting myself as Emperor of America. I would assure you under my reign all individuals would thrive and prosper

...this is bullshit =/

A question for Republican-gaf:

Why does your party hate us so much?

Not a Republican, but most of the people around me here in the midwest are.

To put it as simply as possible, conservatives don't consider sexual orientation and gender identity to be immutable traits. To them, there is only one sexual orientation (straight) and one gender identity (cis), and thus the people who are gay or trans are just deviants making immoral choices. Hence why they refer to it as "the gay lifestyle".

This is generally reflected in opinion polling data as well. If you look at the data for questions such "Is homosexuality a choice?" and "should homosexuality be tolerated by society?" the break downs are almost identical (roughly 60/40).

platocplx

A question for Republican-gaf:

Why does your party hate us so much?

I'm Not a republican, however it is well documented the republican party of today represents predominately straight white christian people and the extremely wealthy who have business interests and no one else.

no hyperbole it is the party for straight white christian people.

In 2012 almost 95 % of all elected republican officials at a state level were white.

this divide is finally being pulled out in the open and its pretty damn ugly.

almost everyone else falls pretty much under the democrat umbrella(which also sucks since there is no way they can account for everyones intrests)

thats why it seems high time for either the republican party to change their stances, or america gets a third party(which i think would consist mainly of evangelicals than anything else.

Xe4

Banned
Damn, fuck those who switched their vote.

Does anyone know the chance of this passing the Senate? Not that I wouldn't have liked it to pass the house either way, but could this have potentally been signed into law?

sflufan

Banned
Damn, fuck those who switched their vote.

Does anyone know the chance of this passing the Senate? Not that I wouldn't have liked it to pass the house either way, but could this have potentally been signed into law?

Even if it passes the Senate, then it would assuredly be vetoed by the President and I doubt there are enough votes to override the veto.

User1608

Banned
Thank you for answering everybody. I certainly wish I could hear from some (other) Republicans explain why it's worth putting everybody else in a blender.

Surfinn

What the fuck

The majority of those listed are Californians? They live in one of the most liberal places in the US. How the fuck are they so backward?

It's crazy, you can drive down the street and it can change from left leaning to right leaning and back again, depending on the neighborhood. Lots of farm/small town conservative values where I live. Lots of diversity, and not necessarily the good kind, lol.

Thank you for answering everybody. I certainly wish I could hear from some (other) Republicans explain why it's worth putting everybody else in a blender.

To be fair I do know a lot of (young) Republicans who are pro LGBT or at the very least ambivalent, but they're willing to throw us under the bus for other issues.

Ri'Orius

Not a Republican but it probably boils down to being a significant voting and funding block for the other party.

No. That would be a reason to not be discriminatory assholes, since maybe if they stopped fucking gay people every chance they get (no homo) they could get some of their votes.

Future

The only people to blame are the ones that didn't come out to vote in 2014.

And it's because of shit like "both parties are the same and that why I don't vote because it doesn't matter" bullshit

This right here. People always talking about not voting because they can't find a true representation of their interests.... All ignorant bullshit. There is a bigger picture that isn't seen

Unless, of course, you don't care about be able to influence policy like this. Fact of the matter is, voting a few more democrats into the house would have probably passed this bill. In this case, you'd only need 1 more democrat.

Orpheus

Neo Member
What the fuck

The majority of those listed are Californians? They live in one of the most liberal places in the US. How the fuck are they so backward?

They're all from Orange County, north San Diego county, and inland/central california. All of those regions are our Republican strongholds. I live in Orange County and it still surprises me just how conservative most people around here are.

I wonder what goes through the mind of a republican when they vote to allow companies to discriminate against the LGBT community?

Do they miss the Jim Crow laws?

Do they even feel a little guilt, or is it strictly a "holier than thou" thing?

This is what a large percentage of their constituents want. These congressmen vote the way they do so they will get elected again next time around.
Pandering to the base.

Audioboxer

Kind of disgusting something like this isn't 90% for 10% against.

Leaving that 10% for some asshole margin. But not 50.5% asshole.

pgtl_10

This is misplaced when one is being investigated for corruption, one has cancer, one is basically retired and the other two have been absent a lot recently. It's not like they didn't want to attach themselves to this specifically.

Blame the Republicans or the people who didn't vote in the midterms that allowed such a lopsided congress.

What you described are not good excuses outside of the member with cancer.

They're all from Orange County, north San Diego county, and inland/central california. All of those regions are our Republican strongholds. I live in Orange County and it still surprises me just how conservative most people around here are.

Yeah, that feel when the most famous person from your home town is Darrell Issa....

Vista... sigh.

Yeah, I'm sure sending that shitty congressman from my state who switched up his vote a mean letter would do a ton of good, or a mean tweet would flip some switches. I do vote though, so nice try.

This is some villain shit.

Having that attitude doesn't help. You can bet your ass when that congressman crosses old Republican ppl (that admittedly have nothing better to do) he hears it from them.

How exactly does that keep the vote open process work? I though you vote yay or nay and that's it.

This happens pretty regularly. Members of Congress have a certain amount of time to cast their vote. The majority party has the discretion to do whatever they wish once the timer is up. This can work both ways. Since a majority (or super majority depending on the issue) is needed of those voting and NOT how many members of Congress their are, the gavel can be a fickle thing. I have experienced a very quick gavel without many, many congressman voting and some where the vote will be held open for an hour or so. The majority party can do whatever they want until they get the votes they need.

People say elections don't matter, that both parties of the same. What they don't realize is the most important vote a Congressperson makes every session is their vote for Speaker. The Speaker sets the rules, closes the vote, and sets the agenda. The procedure is just as, if not more important than the issues themselves.

kirblar

For shame, Walden. He likes to talk a big game here in Oregon about not bowing to national party pressures, and just representing his district. Which he might be given how rural it is, but he clearly buckled to pressure here.
Claims of being "independent" are bullshit. A person's party reflects and predicts the vast majority of their votes.

House Rules Chairman Pete Sessions (R-Texas) also defended the GOP on the substance of the matter.
“I am a Republican,” he said. “We do not discriminate — we attempt to follow the law, and the gentleman knows that.”

Is that so? Maybe all this is just a big miss understanding.

Having that attitude doesn't help. You can bet your ass when that congressman crosses old Republican ppl (that admittedly have nothing better to do) he hears it from them.

I've played that game before, and wooosh, nothing happens. I'll make sure to call Bruce Poliquin a coward on twitter though, it's the least I can do.

Jackpot

Banned

Congressmen only listen to campaign contributors. Unless he regularly donates $5000 and threatens to withhold it he's not going to notice.

Hugstable

Banned
What the fuck

Not all of California is Liberal. Most of Central California and Inland Empire is pretty conservative overall.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom