• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The ugliest graphics you have ever seen.

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
I’m a massive fan of The Surge 1 & 2. Massive.

But they released the surge 2 with a texture mip bug that’s still not fixed, so that the whole game renders at ultra low texture resolution.

It’s the same as when I used to run quake 3 in picnic 16 years ago...

It looks awful, utterly awful, and I’m not even sure if they will bother fixing it :(

It's a orange box cat.

Look at me chase it around just like a real box cat:

E8WV8v.gif

Man, going to need some additional ram to run this game, whew, that's that Jaguar 50000 pixels per second tri-color coordinated 64-bit multi-purpose bus and draw bridge system at work!!

Have you ever seen a more realistic cat? Likely not, it's life like, these graphics are unbelievable, the math is all there. Did you see that Sky Box outside with the clouds? WOWZERS!

What the hell. What game is this?

Trimesh

Banned
I’m a massive fan of The Surge 1 & 2. Massive.

But they released the surge 2 with a texture mip bug that’s still not fixed, so that the whole game renders at ultra low texture resolution.

It’s the same as when I used to run quake 3 in picnic 16 years ago...

It looks awful, utterly awful, and I’m not even sure if they will bother fixing it :(

I suspect you will find most people will either not notice or not care. I'm probably one of them - I'm also one of those idiots that typically buys consoles on launch. so I got the PS4 and the Xbox One pretty much when they came out. I can remember looking at the PS4/XBone graphics and thinking "yeah, they are nicer than 360/PS3" - but not the extent where it was any sort of game changer.

Stuart360

Steam version Ultra settings. The audio is amazing

To be fair, thats an asset flip and i dont know if asset flips should really count as its just a bunch of store bought assets flung together like a jigsaw puzzle.
Also there are much, MUCH worse looking asset flips out there. :messenger_beaming:

stranno

Shadows of the Empire
vnTfsL0.png

My friend had it on N64 and I remember being pretty grossed out by the visuals.
Shadows of the Empire is a masterpiece on Nintendo 64. Its one of the Nintendo 64 early titles (released just two months after the console launch in States) and it looks amazing. Imo LucasArts did a much better job than Factor 5 (Rogue Squadron and Battle for Naboo) both in terms of graphics AND variety. PC version is far better tho.

The jetpack in Gall's cliffs was a pleasure.

uiQzDTN.gif

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
ghazipur-landfill_fcfa186a-8f1c-11e7-b1bc-83ce932a2009.jpg

What?:lollipop_confused: Don't look at me:lollipop_downcast_sweat: It's just not lifelike enough, that's all:lollipop_kissing_smiling:

I mean, look at this mudy piles of garbage and those two NPCs in the middle... Who the fuck will ever fight over piles of shit when there's so much of it around around, grab and take it?:lollipop_open_mouth: Surely in real life this wouldn've happened. Plus, the motion blur is shit and not even per object:lollipop_unamused: Don't even get me started on pathetic resolution and a crap ton of alliasing:lollipop_flores:

Last edited:
H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
Actually the graphics aren't even 4 bits, that would mean it has the ability to show 16 colors on screen! They're actually 2 bits if I'm not mistaken.

Where gaming equipment is concerned, we tend to use 8 bit and 16 bit to refer to CPU architecture, not the number of bits used to store each pixel.

Stuart360

Shadows of the Empire is a masterpiece on Nintendo 64. Its one of the Nintendo 64 early titles (released just two months after the console launch in States) and it looks amazing. Imo LucasArts did a much better job than Factor 5 (Rogue Squadron and Battle for Naboo) both in terms of graphics AND variety. PC version is far better tho.

The jetpack in Gall's cliffs was a pleasure.

uiQzDTN.gif
Yeah Shadows looked amazing at launch i thought. Fully 3D world and characters, at a time when similar Star Wars games on PC were the first Dark Forces with 2D sprites and fake DOOM style 3D environments.

Last edited:
It has an 8bit CPU / architecture.

The architecture of the CPU is irrelevant to the discussion. The Game Boy is equipped with a 2-bit LCD panel, meaning it can only reproduce 4 shades. You have white, light grey, dark gray and black. This is then tinted a nice distinctive green by the panel.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
The Atari ST has some amazing looking games like Shadow Of The Beast, Wrath Of The Demon, Dragons Lair, etc. And then there was...

Army Moves

Leatherneck

plushyp

Microid's Iznogoud for Playstation is one of the worst looking platform games i've ever seen. Its really awful, and one of those games where you never know if you can stand in a platform or it is just part of the background.

gzatWtK.gif

Yeah, the same Microids that will bring the probably-crappy remake of XIII.
I thought this was a Sega Genesis/SNES era game. DIdn't expect it to be PS1!

Back to the thread topic, we also have, The Unknown City for PS4

the-unknown-city-screenshot-02-ps4-us-5july2018
Ahahahaha... looks like bargain bin shovelware

There's nothing inherently bad about those graphics. The art is what you hate here.

Bad graphics (and bad... everything, really) could be for example Life of Black Tiger for PS4

life-of-black-tiger-screen-02-ps4-us-06jan17
Expected it to be an early PS2 game lol

Last edited:

Gamer79

Predicts the worst decade for Sony starting 2022
Most of the N64's library. 2d sprite games in the 70's looked better. It was early 3d days but man most of the games look ugly.

RAIDEN1

CD32 Game Liberation Captive 2, came packaged with the console, but sheesh did it look ugly!!! (Not bad Music though..)-

Last edited:

Stuart360

Way of the Warrior on 3DO

wotw1.jpg

wotw4.jpg

wotw2.jpg

I keep this disk cued up as the worst game in my collection

Naughty Dog should remaster this for PS5 and leave the load times the same as the original
What the, Way of the Warrior had sick graphics at the time. Its animation trailed behind similar games like MK, but its actual graphics were far beyond even similar arcade games (again animation aside).

Meowzers

Any rugby games. Even on Xbox One X they look like original Xbox title graphics.

At best they look like Fifa did 10 years ago. I haven't bought any games for rugby since about that time and with good reason. It looks awful.

Bigrx1

Banned
World of Final Fantasy

I hate chibi characters and this is the most extreme example of chibi characters I've ever seen personally. Half the characters I couldn't even recognize because their heads were the size of a house. I realize this isn't technically awful graphics, it's a style, but TO ME it's the worst I've ever seen.

Last edited:
Where gaming equipment is concerned, we tend to use 8 bit and 16 bit to refer to CPU architecture, not the number of bits used to store each pixel.
I know, but calling this 8bit graphics is annoying, when you have the SMS and NES in the same category, then you have the tg-16 that is (rightfully) considered by most to be in the se generation as the Genesis and SNES.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
Shadows of the Empire
vnTfsL0.png

My friend had it on N64 and I remember being pretty grossed out by the visuals.

Because was one of the launch titles of N64 and few companies know how to program a 3D game... but yeah is Horrible in graphics

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
This man is why we had an entire generation focusing on the colors brown and gray. Both of these look fantastic, and about as far away from generic as you can get.

They look EXACTLY like the generic fake video games that would play in the background of mid 2000s tv police procedurals

Last edited:

brap

Banned
What's that one old PC adventure game that everybody likes? It's got a magic carpet or some shit. I mean goddamn those characters are fucking hideous.

Top Bottom