• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Umihara Kawase games have been delisted from Steam

@MUWANdo

Banned
Oh I know, I have all three versions, I was talking about Code of Princess :p

Oh, duh. My bad.

Code of Princess was listed in one of the recent Steam database leaks, so they were at least planning on bringing it to PC at some point.

I have the PSX and SNES originals from my collecting days. And some crazy replay DVD and book.

But I kind of wanted to buy the 3DS version.

For now, though, I'd rather stick with homebrew so I don't have eShop access to buy it today.

Joqu

Well I just got the trilogy on Humble to be safe, I've been meaning to check em out.

I think I'm also going to buy the 3DS one and Code of the Princess since they're on sale on the EU eShop though. Would deciding to skip the Vita version make sense with all that? I'm not gonna spend much more than that on the series and I like 3D effects.

Nikodemos

I wish Valve gave advance warning when things like this happened. GOG usually hold a shutdown sale for soon-to-be delisted items.

woopWOOP

Thanks for the Humble store heads up. Also waited too long, but I wanted to legally own the Super Famicom game atleast.

Didn't even know the company was going under. Sucks.

@MUWANdo

Banned
Well I just got the trilogy on Humble to be safe, I've been meaning to check em out.

I think I'm also going to buy the 3DS one and Code of the Princess since they're on sale on the EU eShop though. Would deciding to skip the Vita version make sense with all that? I'm not gonna spend much more than that on the series and I like 3D effects.

The 3DS version runs at half the framerate and take a big performance hit with 3D turned on, it's the least essential version by far.

Yasumi

Banned
Glad I grabbed Shun during the sale. At least with that and the Vita version of Sayonara, I can play the entire series.

Accoun

Did they own the IP, or just publish it? Hopefully it'll return self-published or picked up by someone else.

Eolz

I wish Valve gave advance warning when things like this happened. GOG usually hold a shutdown sale for soon-to-be delisted items.

Definitely. Even if there's no sale and it's a 1 day warning, that would be way better than what they're doing. Every other major player (GOG, PSN/XBL/eshop) does it already.

Is the trilogy worth 30$? I love hard games and this reminds me of BC:Rearmed.

From what you say, and if you like what you see in gameplay videos, I'd say yes, definitely. It's a great series of games, but pretty hard and really niche.

Vita doesn't have Shun included?

Doesn't seem like it, but I remember a rumor that the retail japanese vita version had it. Don't think it's the case anyway, and it's the weakest game. The DS version has it though!

LiK

I picked up the Vita version. Had $10 credit so i got it for $9.99. Not hard up to pick them up for Steam tbh. Trophies doe!

@MUWANdo

Banned
Here's a quick rundown of all the different releases:

Umihara Kawase:
SFC
DS (as part of Umihara Kawase Shun Second Edition Kanzenban)
Vita (as part of Sayonara Umihara Kawase Plus/Chihari, digital-only in NA/EU)
PC

Umihara Kawase Shun:
PSX (original)
PSX/J-PSN (Second Edition, removes in-game ads & other fixes)
PSP (garbage, avoid)
DS (as part of Umihara Kawase Shun Second Edition Kanzenban)
PC

Sayonara Umihara Kawase:
3DS (released in NA as "Yumi's Odd Odyssey", digital-only in NA/EU)
Vita ("Plus/Chihari" edition, improved framerate/resolution & other enhancements plus the SFC game as a bonus)
PC (does not include SFC game)

Any and all retail releases are JP-only and the 3DS cartridge is of course region-locked.

If in doubt, get the PC versions: they're sorely lacking in PC-specific options but they run perfectly and include all the extras from the different versions of the respective games.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Definitely. Even if there's no sale and it's a 1 day warning, that would be way better than what they're doing. Every other major player (GOG, PSN/XBL/eshop) does it already.

That's because other platform/service providers have to pull the games manually, whereas on Steam it's something publishers can do themselves. It's not that Valve can't be bothered; it's that Valve can't. A publisher distributing games beyond the scope of a pre-defined agreement is literally illegal.

hoggert

Motherfuck. I nearly bought the Trilogy pack yesterday but decided to sleep on it due to my huge backlog. Thank you for the humble links! Hopefully they'll still have keys when I get home.

epmode

I just loaded UmiharaKawase Shun Steam Edition for the first time and the graphics are horizontally stretched to hell. What is the proper aspect ratio setting to make it 4:3?

This may seem like a silly question until you see how the aspect ratio is controlled by a slider that goes from 50 to 150. There's no way to specify a screen resolution either.

edit: Setting Windows to my highest 4:3 resolution and using the Nvidia Control Panel to override the game's scaling mode gets around the problem.

I've always wanted to try one of these but they are so expensive. If I'm only buying one of the games on PC, which one should I get?

I played the Vita version and I didn't like it. The controls are terrible. Very frustrating. Lots of repeating sections and it seemed like luck to get anywhere.

There are much better 2D platformers on Vita.

daakusedo

Ah, too expensive on HB to do an urgency buy.
Let's see if someone takes care of them.
I regret the 3d isn't well implemented on 3ds cause it somewhat fits the style but it's unplayable when you push the game mechanics.

Marow

That doesn't sound like Umihara Kawase at all
As someone who played the games first on PC (all three), I'd say the games more or less control the same. Sayonara only has a larger focus on actual platforming rather than bothersome enemies, plus a level select.

Baha

How was the port of the first game on PC? Mulling over whether or not to get it from GMG with the 20% off voucher.

These are platformers, right? And you use a grapple?

I don't want to rush to buy games I'll never play, but can somebody tell me why these are great games?

Top Bottom