• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Ungodly Creatures Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Water Bug

abedus-water-bug-1-large.jpg

Teknoman

Please tell me thats not on a person. Also wtf are those things on it's back? Still dont understand how people let weird creatures on their arms/hands/whatever for the sake of pictures.

Teknoman said:
Please tell me thats not on a person. Also wtf are those things on it's back? Still dont understand how people let weird creatures on their arms/hands/whatever for the sake of pictures.
Male Water bugs (Belostomatidae) carry eggs on their backs.

Belostomatid1.jpg

esbern

Colossal Squid. This is larger than a giant squid, and instead of suckers it has FUCKING HOOKS. This thing is not from this planet

squid.JPG

giant_squid_25883t.jpg

Alx

Tideas said:
cymothia exigua

Whoa, I wanted to know more about this thing, it's even stranger than I thought...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cymothoa_exigua

This parasite attaches itself at the base of the spotted rose snapper's (Lutjanus guttatus) tongue, entering the fish's mouth through its gills. It then proceeds to extract blood through the claws on its front three pairs of legs. As the parasite grows, less and less blood reaches the tongue, and eventually the organ atrophies from lack of blood. The parasite then replaces the fish's tongue by attaching its own body to the muscles of the tongue stub. The fish is able to use the parasite just like a normal tongue. It appears that the parasite does not cause any other damage to the host fish

o_0

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Wallach said:
FUCK the entire ocean, I swear to god. What's even worse is that there is still a ton of life down there that we have never discovered. You know why Cthulhu sleeps beneath the waves? Because fuck the ocean, that's why.
I just can't imagine the kinds of things that live deep in the ocean, miles and miles and miles below the level humans can currently reach. I TRY to imagine, and I just...can't.

It's so damn dark, and there's so much pressure, and it's so damn cold, and there is just so much space down there for something to live in. The ocean averages over 2 miles in depth. Some points go as far as 6 or 7 miles in depth.

::edit::
by "levels humans can reach," I mean comfortably/extensively. I know we have reached the bottom of the Marianas Trench, but we haven't really explored it, for instance.

Zeliard

Monroeski said:
I just can't imagine the kinds of things that live deep in the ocean, miles and miles and miles below the level humans can currently reach. I TRY to imagine, and I just...can't.

It's so damn dark, and there's so much pressure, and it's so damn cold, and there is just so much space down there for something to live in. The ocean averages over 2 miles in depth. Some points go as far as 6 or 7 miles in depth.

Not to mention the deep sea gigantism phenomenon. There are probably huge creatures down there we haven't discovered yet, such as the giant squid that was once considered a myth. So not only do we have no clue what else is down there, but chances are it's physically massive, which is just freaky to consider.

Wark

Zeliard said:
Not to mention the deep sea gigantism phenomenon. There are probably huge creatures down there we haven't discovered yet, such as the giant squid that was once considered a myth. So not only do we have no clue what else is down there, but chances are it's physically massive, which is just freaky to consider.

I always think of all of the creepy-ass things that probably live in the deep sea. I get freaked out thinking about the crazy things that live down.

Retro

That water bug reminds me of the Surinam Toad.
surinam_toad_eggs2.jpg

During each arc, the female releases 3-10 eggs, which get embedded in the skin on her back by the male's movements. After implantation the eggs sink into the skin and form pockets over a period of several days, eventually taking on the appearance of an irregular honeycomb. The larvae develop through the tadpole stage inside these pockets, eventually emerging from the mother's back as fully developed toads.

And hatching...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCayq56wHSA

wRATH2x

Banned
I fucking HATE the ocean!!!

My god they even have bugs,and what the hell is vampire squid?

Does it feed on human blood?

But the giant squid with hooks is just BADASS!!!

Ra\/en

Retro said:
That water bug reminds me of the Surinam Toad.
surinam_toad_eggs2.jpg

During each arc, the female releases 3-10 eggs, which get embedded in the skin on her back by the male's movements. After implantation the eggs sink into the skin and form pockets over a period of several days, eventually taking on the appearance of an irregular honeycomb. The larvae develop through the tadpole stage inside these pockets, eventually emerging from the mother's back as fully developed toads.

And hatching...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCayq56wHSA

that picture and the associated video was the first thing in this thread that grossed me out. that is freaking disgusting. Seriously. LOL.

wRATH2x

Banned
Zeliard said:

I actually think that would be awesome,like sea dinosaurs.

The internet needs to get over its "FUCK THE OCEAN" stupidity. These are beautiful and wondrous creatures. :)

sonarrat said:

Cuttlefish are pretty amazing masters of camo too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ujRgSRYE9A
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjycOCyUZ1c
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9XLObuvEryg

Some male cuttlefish will even "morph" themselves to look like females by changing color and making their tentacles looks smaller, so they can slip in and mate with real females while the bigger males are busy fighting.

Kreed

If I learned one thing from this thread, it's to stay the hell out of the depths of the ocean. Forget hiring actors, the next film studio that wants to do a horror movie just needs a submarine and a video camera.

Dead Man

Ra\/en said:
that picture and the associated video was the first thing in this thread that grossed me out. that is freaking disgusting. Seriously. LOL.
I had terrible fucking lotus nipple flashbacks. Fuck!

Zeliard

subzero9285 said:
More deep ocean goodness.

Benthocodon

benthocodon.jpg

Teuthowenia

PB-Teuthowenia-frontal-JPG.jpg

Pelagic octopus

nature-translucent-pelagic-octopus.jpg

These look like they came straight out of Metroid. So awesome-looking that they almost don't seem real. The colors and the transparency are stunning.

sonarrat said:

This video provides a little explanation. Octopus section starts around the one-minute mark. The video includes the other video I posted and lots more awesome camouflages.

Another animal that is pretty interesting as far as mimicry goes is the freshwater mussel. The female needs to attract a fish in order to inject her fertilized egg into the fish's mouth. So, using unfertilized eggs and mucus, she creates a lure. Some pics:

MusselLure1.png

MusselLure2.jpg

MusselLure3.png

The first and last are lures imitating small fish and the middle is a lure of a crayfish. And the mussel can make the lure move as if it were injured. All of this without a brain.

OMFG fuck fuck fuckkkkkk isopods. When I was little, I was fishing and caught this snapper in the bay. I put it in a bucket for an hour and eventually pulled it out of the water to see how it was doing. Then an isopod FUCKING CRAWLED OUT OF ITS EYE. Fuck isopods.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
deep4.jpg

Fuck...that thing wearing shoes! They're evolving fast! Get ready for the invasion!

sciplore

That camo octopus and dumbo octopus are awesome I hope to see more of these great creatures like that for this thread.

And yeah if there ever is a jellyfish as big as a bus in the ocean then fuck it indeed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom