• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Videogame Music Comparison Thread

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
In before a lot of tone def gaffers mistakenly compare songs just because they have similar instruments, or the same 3 notes or whatever.

iidesuyo

In interviews some Japanese composers bragged how they had to compose their music in just a few nights and all went well. I guess they just stole the music, in many cases it's just too obvious.

Sciz

Ooh, this thread finally happened. Let's see...

Sonic 1 has a bunch of these to varying degrees:

The ascending bassline in Bobby Brown's Every Little Step shows up at the start of Spring Yard Zone. It's debatable, but there's enough stylistic similarity between the two songs that I'm willing to argue it's the source.
Andy Williams' Music To Watch Girls By has obvious similarities to Marble Zone.
The first half of the synth line running throughout Duran Duran's Planet Earth is a close match for the opening bars of Final Zone.
Blade Runner (End Titles) by Vangelis is so clearly the source for most of Scrap Brain Zone that it hurts. Same basic chord progression and similar instrumentation all the way down to the occasional timpani fill.

There's also an easy one in 8-bit Sonic 2: Compare the boss theme with 808 State's Cubik.

Going the other way, most people know that Sonic 2's ending became Sweet Sweet Sweet, but Nakamura also turned Green Hill Zone into Marry Me and Starlight Zone into Kusuriyubi no Kesshin. At least he owns the source material in all three cases.

Sonic CD and Sonic Rush also borrow samples from all over the place, but that's a post for another time (specifically, when someone's managed to get an upload of the original version of Public Enemy's Bring the Noise to stick on Youtube for more than five seconds).

Moving over to a different franchise, Mega Man X has its own fair share. Armored Armadillo pulls its opening from the Peter Gunn theme, and the developer's love of Guns N' Roses that came to a head in X5 cropped up earlier in the series with X3's Neon Tiger borrowing riffs from My Michelle. I'm sure there are others, but I'll leave that to someone with more familiarity with the series.

Also, Bobby Prince's musical larceny regarding DOOM is widely documented, but he also composed the music for a bunch of other games. Ignoring the public domain, what is easily the best example of him knocking off someone else's work is the main theme of Cosmo's Cosmic Adventure, which is little more than a mildly modified version of ZZ Top's Tush. I wish I could find a full recording of it, it keeps going on well past what's in that video. If the similarity itself doesn't convince you, the actual audio file is named ZZTop. There's also one named Devo, though I couldn't begin to tell you what of their discography it's based on, if anything.

iidesuyo

Really? I thought that plagiarism allegation was pretty well known by now. Now you know the reason we'll never get the Metal Gear Solid Theme in another game.

I never knew about it and it really blows my mind, forget about cloud bushes!

blind51de

Banned
Always a favorite of mine, and brought up in an article or two:

Ken's stage theme from Street Fighter 2, and other games.
The opening riffs a bit too closely lifted from Top Gun song "Mighty Wings" by Cheap Trick.

My theory (echoed also by an article): Ken and Guile's themes were originally switched. Capcom figured out the problem (Cheap Trick was mighty popular in Japan, it couldn't have been hard), and Guile's stage with the F-14 Tomcat got a different song for it instead.

For comparison:
Guile's stage with Ken's theme.
More like "Ken's theme goes with everything".

AutumnAve

I've never heard of anyone making this connection, but I noticed it so many years ago. Up for comparison this time is Arrow Flash, a MD/Genesis side scrolling shooter game, I noticed it at the time when I first played it because its heroine reminded me of Priss from Bubblegum Crisis, also it borrows quite liberally from Macross and Gundam, visually. I love it so much for being such a completely average shooter game. Anyhoo, the comparison:

Arrow Flash (Sega MD/ Genesis) Attract mode http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=liBKYDq7pdc start around 00:39 ~ and go till 00:48

compare vs.

Kim Wilde's "You Keep Me Hangin' On" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNyRU0fKHAY
For the comparison start at 00:18 ~ and go till 00:30 or so.

Top Bottom