• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wailing (2016) S. Korean drama/thriller/horror

fart town usa

Gold Member
9ffdbf6771ba19e679340b5f87f632d1-2400w.jpg

I noticed two other threads from 2016 but they're both locked.

Has anyone seen this movie? I watched it last night and holy shit, seriously one of the best movies I've ever seen.

It's 2 hours 36 minutes long but it keeps you engaged the entire time. It has a Twin Peaks vibe for the first 90 minutes or so but then it more or less drops the humor and proceeds to take the viewer to some really intense & dark places.

There's a scene towards the end, absolutely terrifying. Just insanely terrifying because the whole movie you're being led to think a certain way and you're trying to connect all the different paths the movie is going on but then something happens and it's just so damn effective and horrifying. I was legit scared in bed last night and I'm still creeped out just thinking about it, lol.

I really don't want to give away too much because it's something you should go into as blind as possible. I haven't been keeping tabs on S. Korean cinema for a few years now and man, I really need to dive back in.

Anyone seen this? Thoughts?

Please try to avoid spoilers, I'd hate for a potential viewing to be ruined cause this movie is definitely worth seeing.

fart town usa

Gold Member
Pretty good movie. Went too long for me though.

If you're interested in Korean cinema, I highly, highly recommend Memories of Murder and I Saw The Devil.
Seen both, fantastic films. The taxi cab knife scene in ISTD is amazing. I'd love to see how they managed to film that.

I was lucky enough to live in Singapore from 2009-2012 and was able to buy a ton of films that are normally hard to find. Also got to see a bunch in theaters, it was a great time. The one that comes to mind is, 'The Man from Nowhere' that was awesome seeing that in a theater. If you haven't seen it, it's basically John Wick before John Wick but slightly less action. Still just as cool though.

MachRc

All the actors/actresses were great, what a awesome scary film with like zero jump scares!

I love the comedic side of the movie as well.

That scene you are talking about near the end lol

both me and my wife were like ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Last edited:

Kev Kev

It was ok

I remember threads about it and I just don’t agree about it being a great horror movie or one of the best movies ever. It was confusing and bizarre, especially by the end of it, and I honestly was not sure what the hell I watched.

The atmosphere was cool tho

Fbh

I thought it was great.
Good performances, a great sense of atmosphere and I really liked how it masterfully blends tension, horror and even some humor.

Not the biggest fan of the ending though.

INC

Never heard of it, now I must find it, I have no idea what it's about, and im leaving at that now

SpiceRacz

Seen both, fantastic films. The taxi cab knife scene in ISTD is amazing. I'd love to see how they managed to film that.

I was lucky enough to live in Singapore from 2009-2012 and was able to buy a ton of films that are normally hard to find. Also got to see a bunch in theaters, it was a great time. The one that comes to mind is, 'The Man from Nowhere' that was awesome seeing that in a theater. If you haven't seen it, it's basically John Wick before John Wick but slightly less action. Still just as cool though.

That sounds awesome. Gonna watch it tonight.

fart town usa

Gold Member
That sounds awesome. Gonna watch it tonight.
It's great, I'd be surprised if you don't like it. Tugs at the heart strings in a similar way that to the first John Wick film and the action scenes are super satisfying.

There's one scene, it isn't a spoiler but the main guy jumps out of a window. The way it's filmed is just so damn cool, it's a quick scene but just looks so badass. Always picture that scene whenever I think of the movie.

edit- Ha, someone even uploaded the scene it to YouTube. Watching it again, it looks like the camera guy jumped out too.

Last edited:

j0hnnix

Gold Member
I remember seeing this way back, great movie, I have to rewatch it during my late night horror movie marathons.

Rickyiez

It's awesome , one of my favourite Korean movie . I couldn't really remember most of the details in the story but I love how the story unfolds . Not exactly that scary though outside of the sudden pop-out from the window but it has amazing atmosphere

Cattlyst

Need to investigate this. Does it have subtitles or is it dubbed into English? If subtitled, is it easy enough to follow while reading?

near

Gold Member
I’m due for a rewatch, it’s absolutely amazing.

Need to investigate this. Does it have subtitles or is it dubbed into English? If subtitled, is it easy enough to follow while reading?

Subtitled, also the best way to watch this, don’t you dare view this with dubs.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I've seen it last year.
Not sure if I understood it but I did not liked it... It felt too confusing for what it was

Top Bottom