• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Walking Dead - Season 2 - Sundays on AMC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dram

Yeah that episode with the old patients was pretty bad, which is weird since the author of the comic wrote it.

abuC

I like the show, but I can't help but wonder how great it would have been on HBO. Is there any word on if HBO or Showtime are looking at the Day by Day Armageddon franchise?

This show seems to be improving slightly, but I feel like they're stuck with too many bad characters/actors at this point to really salvage it. As someone said above, I would LOVE for HBO to do a zombie show.

sturmdogg

Anyone know why the show isn't following the comics i.e. characters in the show aren't in the comics, certain events didn't happen? Seems to me the comics is a great source material and shouldn't have been changed this much.

Dram said:
Yeah that episode with the old patients was pretty bad, which is weird since the author of the comic wrote it.

I think the concept of the episode was more or less fine, but what I think made it feel awful was the caricature of the gangsters. Their "gangster-isms" were a bit too heavyhanded, but I think Kirkman wanted to explore the dichotomy of society's cellar dwellers being unlikely heroes for the oppressed (which is good).

ultron87

sturmdogg said:
Anyone know why the show isn't following the comics i.e. characters in the show aren't in the comics, certain events didn't happen? Seems to me the comics is a great source material and shouldn't have been changed this much.

I do at least appreciate that it is keeping me in suspense about what could happen instead of just following the books in lock step.

Aesthet1c

sturmdogg said:
I read somewhere that they are doing this intentionally to keep everyone on their toes. They don't want the people that have read the comics to know everything that's going to happen.

Not sure if it's the right decision though, considering it sounds like the source material is much better than the TV series.

andycapps

sturmdogg said:

Kirkman's said the whole time that things are going to be a lot different. I'd assume he's changing things because when he was writing the comic the first year or two, he didn't know how long he would be published so he killed off characters too quickly. I'm assuming this is his do-over in some ways.

Puddles

Banned
walbertsmith said:
I think the concept of the episode was more or less fine, but what I think made it feel awful was the caricature of the gangsters. Their "gangster-isms" were a bit too heavyhanded, but I think Kirkman wanted to explore the dichotomy of society's cellar dwellers being unlikely heroes for the oppressed (which is good).

The idea might have been okay, but the execution was horrible, and it had the disadvantage of following one of the best first three episode runs ever. The drop in quality from Episodes 1-3 to Episode 4 was Spiderman 2 to Spiderman 3-esque.

Kirkman said that the show will follow the comics overall, I assume for major plot points, but they will do different things. I'd spout some examples of many things that are the same or soon to be the same based on interviews, but I'll leave the comic book talk out.

Carnby

aku:jiki said:
HE TALKED ABOUT THE DEER!
HE TALKED ABOUT THE DEER!

Two days later, that's really the only scene that sticks with me. :lol

Agreed.

Breaking Bad and Walking Dead (while I do enjoy them) have been what I call AMC'ed. That means long mellow dramatic conversations book ended by something actually happening.

Nymeria88

jaekwon15 said:
Agreed.

Breaking Bad and Walking Dead (while I do enjoy them) have been what I call AMC'ed. That means long mellow dramatic conversations book ended by something actually happening.

I also feel this way about many HBO shows as well. Especially the first two seasons of TrueBlood. I stopped watching after that.

I remember Kirkman and Darabont talking about how they were going to deviate from the comics a bit. Kirkman actually wanted Darabont to stray away from the comics a bit. So Darabont said that the tv series would take detours en route to major plot elements. So even though they've reached Hershel's farm, they've gotten there with different characters and under different circumstances. I like the changes, especially the inclusion of Daryl as a new character.

_dementia said:
I'm surprised the scumbag shane meme isn't more prevalent

let's brainstorm. i'll go first:
358q18.jpg

JDSN

Banned
Shane has been the best character of the show and continues to be, he is so conflicted and tragic, I hope they keep the tension going for a while before turning him to the dark side.

JDSN said:
Shane has been the best character of the show and continues to be, he is so conflicted and tragic, I hope they keep the tension going for a while before turning him to the dark side.
Bro

He already turned

Dai101

Banned
IpsoFacto said:
Indeed, Shane, that was horrible... now those zombies will
get diabities from eating an obese man.

And that's awful. I don't even know what is that but sounds atrocious

Symphonic

JDSN said:

This. Shit has to come crashing down at some point and it will be glorious.

Marleyman

Banned
2real4tv said:
I don't see how people are enjoying season 2 its so boring. It feels like I am watching a soap opera/ER episode. The ending was good however.

I have it DVR'ed and fast forward through the parts with Rick, his son and wife. It is excruciating to watch.

Marleyman said:
I have it DVR'ed and fast forward through the parts with Rick, his son and wife. It is excruciating to watch.
Haha I do the same, except I play on my iPad until there's an action scene or something interesting.

What kills this show for me is the seemingly unending exposition. But I guess it makes sense, it costs a lot less to shoot two people talking for 5 minutes than a scene with combat and a bunch of zombies.

Just watched it: really intense.

The little tennis match between Rick and Lori was one of the best scenes of the show. You could tell that she was just egging him on, trying to get him to shout, scream, yell, and generally just shake her out of her malaise, but Rick wasn't having any of it. Dude is just focused on being a rock, which is probably infuriating Lori. She's going to explode one of these days.

I'm really glad Dale didn't go wandering through the forest and leaving Carol alone, but even the fact that he went down to the edge of the road, which was completely out of character, shows how much he cares about Andrea. Something about her has got him hooked.

Bald Shane is gonna be awesome.

Chinner

Banned
so why does AMC get cheap with shows that get really popular? surely they could pump some of the extra revenue into the show increase the quality of it which will increase the ratings....

Madrical

Banned
kevo_huevo said:
let's brainstorm. i'll go first:
358q18.jpg
Holy crap, as that scene was unfolding all I could think about was "man, Shane is a scumbag. I should put the scumbag hat on him and post it in the gaf topic." apparently I was too late.

Pretty major comic spoiler, first book I think.
I was annoyed that Carl didn't kill him like in the comics in season one, but he's becoming a pretty interesting character. He's a scumbag obviously, but the group always needed more than one leader and he could be the muscle to Rick's brains. Could be interesting. I really liked this episode.

Chinner said:
so why does AMC get cheap with shows that get really popular? surely they could pump some of the extra revenue into the show increase the quality of it which will increase the ratings....
My understanding of the situation is that profits became a much bigger priority when AMC was spun off as a publicly traded company in July. There's a good writeup on the whole situation here. Looking at it from a business perspective, AMC cut costs on TWD this year and the ratings are way up in S2, so unfortunately, I don't know how much incentive they have to spend more money on the show now.

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
_dementia said:
lol, while mad men bleeds them dry and it's a much less succesful show in terms of ratings
Even if that were true, Mad Men doesn't run AMC, AMC does. If they have to be cheap with them for the sake of other shows, then they oughta be.

Puddles

Banned
Cornballer said:
My understanding of the situation is that profits became a much bigger priority when AMC was spun off as a publicly traded company in July. There's a good writeup on the whole situation here. Looking at it from a business perspective, AMC cut costs on TWD this year and the ratings are way up in S2, so unfortunately, I don't know how much incentive they have to spend more money on the show now.

There's a fine line that they can easily cross here. People watch the show because zombies are popular, and up to this point it's been a (fairly) well-made zombie apocalypse show on a large scale and with pretty good production values.

If they get too cheap and start skimping on the large set-pieces and action sequences, the ratings might not hold up.

Puddles said:
There's a fine line that they can easily cross here. People watch the show because zombies are popular, and up to this point it's been a (fairly) well-made zombie apocalypse show on a large scale and with pretty good production values.

If they get too cheap and start skimping on the large set-pieces and action sequences, the ratings might not hold up.

This show already looks cheap and is terribly written/acted yet it still gets a huge audience, so why would the ratings start to slide?

Plus, the ratings for it are so far ahead of anything else on AMC that even if they slide they'll still crush every other show the network airs.

SpeedingUptoStop said:
Even if that were true
Isn't it true? I thought Weiner was asking something like $10 million per season and other AMC shows had to take budget cuts and increase product placement to balance it out.

Wray

Great episode. Poor Otis though.

Calling it now.
Shane gonna be the Gov.

Ok probably not, but I do expect him to bite it before seasons end.

K1LLER7

great episode, too bad ortis.
really hate where they would show ortis and shane being chased for 10 seconds and then cut back to rick and his emotional speeches. SHOW ME ZOMBIES!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom