• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Walking Dead Season 8 - Part 2 [OT] It's just a scratch Carrrrrrrl

bitbydeath

image001-6.jpg

In the return of Season 8 of The Walking Dead, the all-out war waged by Rick and the unified groups has had a devastating impact on every person involved. The communities themselves are fractured. Alexandria has been destroyed and Carl has been bitten by a walker. The Hilltop finds themselves pinned, and the Kingdom is shattered. Negan continues to deal with struggles within his ranks as workers, traitors, and others' thirst for power cause conflict at the Sanctuary.

wdeadvfs9o.png

rgrimes7mqdt.png
carolpk1snj.png
morgan2bsoa.png
daryly2s0i.png
enidatucm.png
rositaycruv.png
tara5ish3.png
michonnexws6r.png
gabrielerr5a.png
aaronj5skv.png
maggie9tsmc.png
jesusm1sw2.png
kingcnss0.png
eugenedwight3co7j.png
simonpls3p.png
negang2sp9.png

mediaj0syg.png

Last edited:

Geki-D

Banned
Arrrgggghhh, I don't know if want to get back into this but I've been watching it for over seven years :confused:
I bet this sums up why most people still watch the show. I won't say it's terrible all of the time, in fact sometimes it can still be pretty great but there have been enough terrible moments to warrant me giving up, yet I'm just too far in to walk away and I know just enough people who also watch to need to watch to keep up with discussions about it.

Also Carl is dead, guys. No way he's immune or some dumb crap like that. The theories flying around the internet are only setting people up for disappointment.

And nice pic of Rick in the OP lol.

Last edited:

Ichabod

Banned
The fact that I've been watching since the beginning and that Gimple was removed as the showrunner means I'll be there Sunday night to see what happens next.

BLAUcopter

Gold Member
Ugh the new season has been total ASS!

It's such a shame, I used to love this show but goddamn it's gone down hill.

Atrus

Gold Member
Welp this episode was terrible... I should have felt something but the dialogue was just torture. I think Carl did what I wanted to by the end of this episode and frankly, I'm hoping they wrap this series up. If I was an AMC exec, I'd try to build a time machine powered by Gimples soul just so I could try and undo the damage of this season. RIP Carl and GG Chandler Riggs.

Garbage people are still around and The Saviours keep having the population of a small town while the show keeps running filler material all while they use characters as hollow plot points.

Last edited:
Will watch it tonight, but man, here's something that i wasn't wishing for its return... specially knowing this episode's runtime, it has all the ingredients to a borefest.

bigedole

I still have the last 4 episodes of the first half of the season waiting to be watched. My wife and I really lost our enthusiasm for the show during the first half of the season, and we really enjoyed the show having watched it live for the past 4 seasons. I don't really know how to explain it, feels like it just stopped caring about meaningful development and is now trying to focus on mindless (and not executed so well) action. I never thought I'd say this, but I'm actually more interested in Fear the Walking Dead than the main show now.

SDCowboy

I gotta say, my patience for this show to start picking back up again is wearing extremely thin. Almost every episode now, IMO, feels like a filler episode. Even this one, which I assume was supposed to feel important. And don't even get me started on how bad the dialog has become. Pretty much the only reason I'm still watching this show is because of how long I've been watching it.

IMO, the show needs to do two major things:

One, if not this season, then next, the show HAS to establish an end goal. The show just feels like it's spinning its wheels at this point.

Two, the show needs to get away from the massive communities. There are just far too many characters now, to the point when one dies, it has no effect on anything - and it's hard to feel a connection to any of them. I'd like to see the remaining core group branch off, and start having to SURVIVE again. Maybe have them venture out in search of that end goal.

Last edited:

bitbydeath

What was going on with Rick in that last scene?

I think for next season they either need to stop following the comics or reduce the episode count per season to 10, trying to put out 16 60min episodes over just 12 or so comics does not work and results in a lot of unnecessary filler.

Airola

I still have the last 4 episodes of the first half of the season waiting to be watched. My wife and I really lost our enthusiasm for the show during the first half of the season, and we really enjoyed the show having watched it live for the past 4 seasons. I don't really know how to explain it, feels like it just stopped caring about meaningful development and is now trying to focus on mindless (and not executed so well) action.

Yeah, I agree.

The first half of this season was way too boring in both emotional things and action things.
It just seems like they either can't write those situations interesting enough or then they lack the skill in executing their ideas.
Everything has been more paint-by-numbers than what the show has ever been.
Even the cliffhanger of the first half, while potentially heartbreaking and shocking, felt nothing.

Now this first episode of the second half only seems to continue that trend. While this episode should've been super interesting and heartbreaking in theory, it just felt absolutely nothing. They either should go deeper in their writing or be able to give the emotions by filming and editing it certain way. It just felt very bland to me.

I did enjoy the ending of this episode (the first episode of the second half) though even though it wasn't really a cliffhanger. While I first didn't quite think of anything about these "looks into future" or "heaven scenes" or whatever they are, I think they have finally got something interesting out of it now.

Hobobaggins

Neo Member
I should really stop watching this show, at this point I am only hate watching it and listen to podcasts that trash each episode.

Hissing Sid

This show peaked during the first episode when Rick shot the little zombie girl.

For a brief moment I actually thought they were going to do something interesting with the genre. I loved the zombie girl picking up her cuddly toy, it hinted at all kinds of possibilities that could have been explored but no, it turned into the usual gang wars set against a zombie backdrop.

The Boring Dead.

Last edited:

sunnz

A scavenging episode with random events happening ( running into bandits, horde ect) is 100% more enjoyable than this "drama" they are trying to create.

I miss the old days, S1/2 when the goals were to find cover and supplies and when the zombies were the main baddies.
Enjoyed the prison moments too!

Like dayz, past its prime.

I'm just waiting for the entire season to end to watch it, hopefully Negan will be resolved by then. Then I'll stick around for the FIRST episode of season 9 and probably (barring something epic) bail.

bitbydeath

New episode tonight-

The Lost and the Plunderers
Groups unite their forces and converge on the Hilltop; Aaron and Enid search for allies; Simon takes matters into his own hands.

#StaySafeSimon

Last edited:

Atrus

Gold Member
I wonder if there's anyone that's excited to see more of the garbage people when the sole member that gets any character development is Jadis, and even then its through the lens of this clearly screwed up persona. The title card delivery of the episode was also a good idea given the time skipping around. Overall, the pacing of this season is pretty slow. I wonder if the Negan battle will drag on beyond this season and if so, how many people he's got left.

bitbydeath

Go Simon, the hero we deserve.
Jadis got shook so hard she started speaking English. I was hoping she’d jump into the mincer at the end but alas she lives on.

Airola

This episode was pretty good. I think the best of this season by far.
While this episode had its issues (really, it can't be that hard to climb over the garbage) I really liked what they did with Negan here. I'm anticipating a Negan vs. Simon moment way more than I'm anticipating a Negan vs. Rick moment.

Joe T.

This is one of those shows I'm still watching purely because of the time I've already invested in it, thankfully the only show I'm still watching for that reason. I really liked what Frank Darabont did with the first season and it's been a rollercoaster ever since with a lot more lows than highs, so I can't say that I'm much of a fan. That last episode was hard to watch with odd directorial decisions like putting character names on screen when it seemed to serve almost no purpose whatsoever on top of the odd plotting decision like Simon vs Negan, which doesn't make a whole lot of sense at this point in the story, and Jadis looking helpless after being sold as a capable, conniving leader of a decent-sized community of dumpster divers.

As someone who didn't/doesn't read the comics, the series seems to be all over the place, unsure of what to do with the characters at its disposal.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Return episode was pretty weak. The emotional beats just didn't work for me given how it was supposed to be a big send-off. I liked last night's episode though.

Airola

the odd plotting decision like Simon vs Negan, which doesn't make a whole lot of sense at this point in the story

I haven't read the comics either so I don't know what Negan is supposed to be, but there has been scenes where they have shown Negan can have empathy and that there is a method in his madness. I think the point in this episode was to show that Negan doesn't do what he does because he is crazy and he wants to do bad shit but that he genuinely believes this is the best way to save people. And basically a person like Simon is what Negan on surface level is thought to be.

Return episode was pretty weak. The emotional beats just didn't work for me given how it was supposed to be a big send-off. I liked last night's episode though.

Yep, same here. This last episode was the first in a long long time that in the end i thought "already?" instead of checking the watch every 5 minutes.

NickFire

I haven't completely given up on the show yet, but they need to advance the story past Negan fast. Excepting a notable death here or there, its been the same story for years now. Time to move on before the remaining audience does.

Joe T.

I haven't read the comics either so I don't know what Negan is supposed to be, but there has been scenes where they have shown Negan can have empathy and that there is a method in his madness. I think the point in this episode was to show that Negan doesn't do what he does because he is crazy and he wants to do bad shit but that he genuinely believes this is the best way to save people. And basically a person like Simon is what Negan on surface level is thought to be.

Yeah, I can buy that, it's more the sudden shift in their relationship, at least from Simon's perspective, that puzzled me since up until this point Simon's been fairly loyal and efficient, more than willing to carry out whatever was needed of him. It would have been easier for me to go with it had it been something they developed over the course of a few episodes. Maybe it just bothers me because I like Steven Ogg and I don't want to see him go anywhere yet.

Texas Pride

Banned
I don't get why Rick didn't mention the massacre of the Trash people. I guess eventually Negan will learn Simon did the exact opposite of what he was told to do but it just seemed odd for Rick not to mention it on the walkie after seeing what happened.

Droxcy

Haven't watched this whole last season. I've been slacking, ever since the last two major deaths haven't seen much.

bitbydeath

Anyone still watch this? The last episode wasn’t half bad. Although something sure was up with Rick’s shooting, Negan be wearing strong plot armour to survive.

rbanke

Anyone still watch this? The last episode wasn’t half bad. Although something sure was up with Rick’s shooting, Negan be wearing strong plot armour to survive.

Yeah, overall the second half at least feels like things are happening. I yelled out 'cmon!' to my wife last night when we were watching at that scene. Hundreds of perfect headshots and can't land a single bullet on a living person to save their lives but i'll take a bit of cheesiness over stagnant story.

I really dig Steve Ogg and feel like Simon's time is soon to be over which bums me out.

Atrus

Gold Member
I thought the episode was a good one, a change of pace as we see some development with Simon needing to overthrow Negan before he finds out he killed the trash people. I count about 50 Saviours in the convoy, which including the 38 at Hilltop and assuming a dozen protecting the Sanctuary and mop head, means about 100 armed Saviours versus about half that for the good guys.

Malakhov

Banned
Anyone else feels this isnt going anywhere? We havent moved on a whole lot so far this season besides Carl, trash people, tiger and some minor characters are dead. After all that 3 vs savior fight, we're back to square one...

Last episode was exactly this besides Negan is now prisoner to trash lady..

Last edited:

TannerDemoz

This is my issue with it. Some of the actions from the cast are so incredibly unbelievable now. One moment you've got Rick no scoping fools then the next struggling to hit a thing. Same with the whole engaging with walkers. One episode a character will be going to town on walkers then the next they've accidentally 'tripped' or are suddenly so incompetent they can't fight one off.

I actually don't know where this show is going anymore. Seems like a case of too many cooks in the kitchen and the writers struggled for an end goal? Doesn't Negan switch sides in the graphic novel?

Texas Pride

Banned
It looks like Negan lost his crew and he's going to go the way of the comics. I don't think viewers are going to like how that plays out. I personally don't.

Things are finally happening again with the story, and it is now not boring me to tears. I actually look forward to see what happens next. The past few seasons have been awful. Too many retrospective episodes about characters I care little about. It made the story go backward.

Last edited:

Airola

I was almost ready to stop following the show as this season had been the worst so far, but the last three episodes have been very good.

I hope the rest of the season stays as good.

Geki-D

Banned
Am I the only person who finds it really silly how now the show wants to play up the fact that zombie blood is a really powerful contaminant whilst in past episodes characters have been bathing in the stuff, either covered from killing walkers or pouring it over their heads to blend in with the dead? Are we really meant to believe that in this rough living world, both in TWD & Fear, no one who ever wore zombie guts on their head as a disguise didn't have a few open cuts, and that that shit didn't get into their eyes and mouth?

I get that it was probably always meant to be dangerous, but outright turning it into a plot point makes those other times look like plot holes.

Last edited:
Top Bottom