• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Walking Dead's Danai Gurira (Michonne) Is Making Her Inevitable Exit From The Zombie Series

bitbydeath

he Hollywood Reporter just broke the news that Danai Gurira, who plays the badarse, samurai sword-wielding Michonne on AMC’s The Walking Dead, has signed a deal to end her run on the show.

She’ll appear in the current season, which comes back for its second half on Monday, and then only appear in a limited capacity for season 10, which starts in October.

According to the report, part of the deal includes her appearing in one or more of the three Rick Grimes movies AMC is planning, spinning off from the show. In recent seasons, Rick and Michonne were romantically involved and surrogate parents to Judith, but we’re still not sure where those projects will lead.

https://www.gizmodo.com.au/2019/02/...er-inevitable-exit-from-the-zombie-series/amp

Just cancel the series. The way they handled rick grimes towards the end was absolutely asinine.

I haven’t watched this current season yet but my enthusiasm has been waning for awhile.

There were some stretches of the show that I felt were better than the comic, but I haven’t felt that in seasons

Airola

Can't say I'm disappointed about that.
She has always been one of the least interesting lead characters in the whole series. At first the whole samurai badass shtick was very annoying but later she just became boring.

I've enjoyed the show quite a bit for maybe 6 seasons but it has become REALLY dull in the past few seasons. Hey, I even enjoyed season 2, but holy shit the series has become super uneventful. And whenever there is action, it is completely tensionless, and whenever there is drama it's lacking emotion. While there were a few interesting episodes in the newest season, holy hell it dragged during the first three episodes. Each episode was just a bigger and bigger disappointment.

Codes 208

I believe someone like Negan can carry the series.
Someone like negan is what helped killed the series for me.

Or atleast how he was handled. Either that or I just simply got bored by that point, negan is a character who I honestly felt was done better by the governor (an antagonististic force to rick grimes.)

Negan was too over the top, turned the series into an actual comic strip.

I will watch the rest, but only for old times sake...it ain't very good at all and hasn't been for years.

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
Makes sense. I find her character has become boring, but then again, so has the whole show.

Doom85

Wow, Morgan, then Maggie, then Rick, now Michonne, who's left to even care about? Daryl, Carol, Gabriel, maybe like one or two others I'm forgetting. And the first two could leave any second as well given they've also been on since the beginning.

This does in retrospect make me realize that a TV series that aims to go on for as long as possible but also intends to kill off a good amount of characters is going to likely backfire. You don't want to only kill unpopular characters and/or minor characters as that just makes the leads seem invincible, but get a little too trigger-happy and you may not be ready for when characters you didn't intend to kill off are leaving the show outside of your control.

Should have just stopped worrying about the comic and just altered the end of the war against Negan to wrap everything up. Could have at least had an ending with characters that mean something. But sure, hastily throw in some new characters to to make up for this and just limp along until the show just dies. Worked SO well for That 70's Show's last season, Scrubs' last season, etc. SIGH.

i hate how everyone talks like this show has gone crap. when i picked up the comic when it first came out everyone was raving about it and it was dog doo doo

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
I liked the first couple of seasons but then dropped off.. it just felt like it wasn't going anywhere, and honestly couldn't go anywhere.

Airola

Wow, Morgan, then Maggie, then Rick, now Michonne, who's left to even care about? Daryl, Carol, Gabriel, maybe like one or two others I'm forgetting. And the first two could leave any second as well given they've also been on since the beginning.

This does in retrospect make me realize that a TV series that aims to go on for as long as possible but also intends to kill off a good amount of characters is going to likely backfire. You don't want to only kill unpopular characters and/or minor characters as that just makes the leads seem invincible, but get a little too trigger-happy and you may not be ready for when characters you didn't intend to kill off are leaving the show outside of your control.

Should have just stopped worrying about the comic and just altered the end of the war against Negan to wrap everything up. Could have at least had an ending with characters that mean something. But sure, hastily throw in some new characters to to make up for this and just limp along until the show just dies. Worked SO well for That 70's Show's last season, Scrubs' last season, etc. SIGH.

At first every single character is a new character, so people have to get used to new characters nevertheless no matter what the show is.
And someone loving Maggie or Michonne proves that people can get into characters that appear as new ones in a show. That 70's Show could've worked with new characters. Scrubs could've worked with new characters. The problem comes when the writers can't write them either be interesting characters or at least be mediocre characters but in interesting situations. The thing that has plagued Walking Dead for a few seasons now is that both the situations and the characters haven't been interesting at all. And they've even managed to write the old characters as uninteresting as possible.

Negan is the most interesting one for me now but they haven't done much at all with that character either.

Ichabod

Banned
Judith and Negan wombo combo can carry the show for a while until some of the newer cast members have time to get fleshed out. I think the only true death knell for the show would be Norman leaving.

Doom85

At first every single character is a new character, so people have to get used to new characters nevertheless no matter what the show is.
And someone loving Maggie or Michonne proves that people can get into characters that appear as new ones in a show. That 70's Show could've worked with new characters. Scrubs could've worked with new characters. The problem comes when the writers can't write them either be interesting characters or at least be mediocre characters but in interesting situations. The thing that has plagued Walking Dead for a few seasons now is that both the situations and the characters haven't been interesting at all. And they've even managed to write the old characters as uninteresting as possible.

Negan is the most interesting one for me now but they haven't done much at all with that character either.

You still need some cast consistency for a lot of people to remain invested. Too much cycling in and out characters means there feels no reason to get invested in them. Maggie was brought in S2, Michonne S3 and by that point the only major characters to die were Dale and Shane. So they're hardly new blood that are late to the party. Gabriel is relatively newer but he didn't feel like he was brought in to just fill a void by a sudden massive loss in terms of number of characters.

It's the same reason I still haven't finished Community S6. So in S5 they write off Troy and Pierce and give them fairly respectable send-offs. That's fine. Then Duncan returns after a two-season absence and becomes almost a main character by this point, and new character Hickey is brought in. Okay, this is all good, one "forgotten" character returns and a new one added, not too much at once. But then, S6 starts, Shirley is suddenly gone with a pretty mediocre send-off, and Duncan and Hickey are gone with pretty much zero acknowledgement. NOT GOOD. But hey, "it's okay" say the writers, they just throw in Keith David and a new girl to replace them! And look, Keith David is awesome and the new girl could have been good, but at this point I just didn't care. Now we had three leads gone in less than 15 episodes, and one returning character and one new lead gone after one season. Just, no. I realize sometimes it's out of the show's control, but I will lose interest in a show if it's constantly shoving people out and throwing new ones in. We started a journey with specific characters, some can leave at a reasonable pace and new ones can join but too much and it begs the question why did we even start with those original characters if ultimately none of their arcs end with the ending of the story itself? Like, if you're going to kill them all, then just end the series on that note, otherwise I just stop caring.

Top Bottom