• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'The Wandering Earth' Chinese Sci-Fi epic is receiving very positive impressions from film audiences.

Which makes me want to go see it. I'm starved for good sci fi films. I'll take anything at this point. The books this is based on are also critically acclaimed. I believe this is only the first film in a planned series of films. This trailer is aimed at Chinese audiences, but the film itself is not so China-centric - the main characters are of varied nationalities and it's not all in Chinese language.

It certainly doesn't. No edgy teenagers doing one liners. And the subject matter is very good, transformers was a toy line. I'll judge it when I see it.

Last edited:
The Three-Body Problem was an interesting read. If that is anything to go by, I'd like to give this a watch as I'm also starving for some good sci-fi. No idea if and when it will release here in Europe though.

Last edited:

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Looks neat. The premise is what? That the Earth has somehow gotten trapped on a collision course for Jupiter and that they need to fire rocket boosters to push Earth out of the way?

Looks neat. The premise is what? That the Earth has somehow gotten trapped on a collision course for Jupiter and that they need to fire rocket boosters to push Earth out of the way?

Sun is going red giant phase early, so they build giant thrusters on earth that are fueled by the earths core. This allows them to move Earth away from the sun. Ultimate goal is to reach a new star system over a multi-thousand year journey and settle earth there. Earth's surface is frozen solid because they have moved earth away from our star. The population lives underground and will continue to do so until earth gets pimped out with a new star.

They run into adventures along the way. I assume this film covers them trying to leave our solar system, with the gas giants posing a major gravitational obstacle.

Last edited:

Z..

I'm starved for good sci fi films.
I'm also starving for some good sci-fi.

Considering the ridiculous amount of great sci fi films around and as a huge sci fi fan, I find this very common stace very odd. Then again, I keep hearing people say this all the time and then you find out they haven't even watched genre staples like Stalker, Solaris, World on a Wire, Metropolis, The Face of Another, Heart of a Dog, Fantastic Planet or Dead Man's Letters. Basically, unless you're completely ignoring everything produced outside Hollywood, there's really no reason to complain about a lack of great sci fi films. I mean... now more than ever especially! Under The Skin, Arrival, Her, Blade Runner 2049, Gravity, Interstellar, Mad Max Fury Road and Ex Machina all came out in the last 5 years. With that many all time greats coming out in such a short time you'd figure sci fi fans would be thrilled, not starved. There's a ton of other good recent features in the genre too like Shin Godzilla, Edge of Tomorrow, Predestination, Annihilation, Looper, The Martian, Upgrade, Snowpiercer, the Apes movies, there's literally a ton of quality recent sci fi flicks!
Again, if you look outside the usual Hollywood circle of interests you'll find even more great stuff. Hard to be a God is a legitimate contender for greatest SciFi film of all time, for example. It's one of the greatest times ever to be a sci fi fan, if anything!

Anyway, rant aside this looks okay but I'm not getting my hopes up. Call me when Jia Zhangke directs a sci fi film.
Keep meaning to check out Whispering Star but haven't managed to get my hands on it yet!

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Sun is going red giant phase early, so they build giant thrusters on earth that are fueled by the earths core. This allows them to move Earth away from the sun. Ultimate goal is to reach a new star system over a multi-thousand year journey and settle earth there. Earth's surface is frozen solid because they have moved earth away from our star. The population lives underground and will continue to do so until earth gets pimped out with a new star.

They run into adventures along the way. I assume this film covers them trying to leave our solar system, with the gas giants posing a major gravitational obstacle.
That's neat. I feel like trying to create a stable orbit around the new red giant sun would be easier than boosting THE ENTIRE EARTH to a new solar system, but then there wouldn't be much of a story.

Considering the ridiculous amount of great sci fi films around and as a huge sci fi fan, I find this very common stace very odd. Then again, I keep hearing people say this all the time and then you find out they haven't even watched genre staples like Stalker, Solaris, World on a Wire, Metropolis, The Face of Another, Heart of a Dog, Fantastic Planet or Dead Man's Letters. Basically, unless you're completely ignoring everything produced outside Hollywood, there's really no reason to complain about a lack of great sci fi films. I mean... now more than ever especially! Under The Skin, Arrival, Her, Blade Runner 2049, Gravity, Interstellar, Mad Max Fury Road and Ex Machina all came out in the last 5 years. With that many all time greats coming out in such a short time you'd figure sci fi fans would be thrilled, not starved. There's a ton of other good recent features in the genre too like Shin Godzilla, Edge of Tomorrow, Predestination, Annihilation, Looper, The Martian, Upgrade, Snowpiercer, the Apes movies, there's literally a ton of quality recent sci fi flicks!
Again, if you look outside the usual Hollywood circle of interests you'll find even more great stuff. Hard to be a God is a legitimate contender for greatest SciFi film of all time, for example. It's one of the greatest times ever to be a sci fi fan, if anything!

Dude. I've seen them all. Every single film you mention. I wasn't joking when I said I was starving for sci fi. Even the niche zero budget stuff like 'The man from Earth'. I don't need giant scale and special effects. Just good sci fi. Sadly the sequel to that sucked shit.

That's neat. I feel like trying to create a stable orbit around the new red giant sun would be easier than boosting THE ENTIRE EARTH to a new solar system, but then there wouldn't be much of a story.

I think the sun is undergoing some kind of accelerated cascade where even in red giant form it will be very unstable and dangerous, potentially going nova. So no bueno for new orbit.

Last edited:

Z..

Dude. I've seen them all. Every single film you mention. I wasn't joking when I said I was starving for sci fi. Even the niche zero budget stuff like 'The man from Earth'. I don't need giant scale and special effects. Just good sci fi. Sadly the sequel to that sucked shit.
I didn't even know it had a sequel. Color me surprised! =O
Keep searching man, there's always some rocks left unturned! I had never even heard of Kin-dza-dza! until a few weeks ago and it became probably my favorite sci fi comedy! Same for On the Silver Globe, I was completely unaware of it until very recently and it quickly become one of my fav surrealist films. Sci fi is such a rich genre there's always something great waiting to be discovered!

pramod

Banned
You know when I think of these "do everything so humanity can survive" stories these days I wonder if they are still realistic. I mean, with all the selfish nihilism in society these days, from the left mostly, will society give enough of a fuck to try to save humanity? Do they even think its worth saving?

giphy.gif

(I freaking love Starship Troopers. My brother worked on the production of RENT that featured NPH and said he was a tool)

You know when I think of these "do everything so humanity can survive" stories these days I wonder if they are still realistic. I mean, with all the selfish nihilism in society these days, from the left mostly, will society give enough of a fuck to try to save humanity? Do they even think its worth saving?
I'm trying to clarify for myself here, out of curiosity: are you asking if, for example, we discover that the Sun will blow up, will we band together to try to figure out a way to survive, or will SJWs on Twitter stop us by saying "big deal, non-cis people have had it tougher?" Is that the premise of your question?

The movie looks dope. And I'm going to read The Three Body Problem now.

pramod

Banned
I'm trying to clarify for myself here, out of curiosity: are you asking if, for example, we discover that the Sun will blow up, will we band together to try to figure out a way to survive, or will SJWs on Twitter stop us by saying "big deal, non-cis people have had it tougher?" Is that the premise of your question?

The movie looks dope. And I'm going to read The Three Body Problem now.

Yes but to clarify...im thinking of scenarios where the goal is to insure the survival of humanity itself....not to save people who are alive now. For example building a space ship to send some humans to populate another planet. I mean wouldnt a leftist be against that? Why spread the evil of humanity and racism to infect and rape other worlds? Not to mention the fact any such species-saving spaceship will be undoubtedly filled with mostly rich, white people?

Last edited:

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Yes but to clarify...im thinking of scenarios where the goal is to insure the survival of humanity itself....not to save people who are alive now. For example building a space ship to send some humans to populate another planet. I mean wouldnt a leftist be against that? Why spread the evil of humanity and racism to infect and rape other worlds? Not to mention the fact any such species-saving spaceship will be undoubtedly filled with mostly rich, white people?
I think your concept of "leftists" is more boogeyman than a representation of actual people.

Kenpachii

In the meanwhile in the west:

star-trek-discovery-season-2-release-date-cast-news.jpg

Search the white straight guy.

In the meanwhile in china.

20170608022754354.jpg

This must be how lefty's / hollywood hell must look like.

Anyway will be checking it out, exactly my type of movie.

Ok that's fuckin COOL

I expect an American version will get made very soon

Last edited:
Considering the ridiculous amount of great sci fi films around and as a huge sci fi fan, I find this very common stace very odd. Then again, I keep hearing people say this all the time and then you find out they haven't even watched genre staples like Stalker, Solaris, World on a Wire, Metropolis, The Face of Another, Heart of a Dog, Fantastic Planet or Dead Man's Letters.

Basically, unless you're completely ignoring everything produced outside Hollywood, there's really no reason to complain about a lack of great sci fi films. I mean... now more than ever especially! Under The Skin, Arrival, Her, Blade Runner 2049, Gravity, Interstellar, Mad Max Fury Road and Ex Machina all came out in the last 5 years. With that many all time greats coming out in such a short time you'd figure sci fi fans would be thrilled, not starved. There's a ton of other good recent features in the genre too like Shin Godzilla, Edge of Tomorrow, Predestination, Annihilation, Looper, The Martian, Upgrade, Snowpiercer, the Apes movies, there's literally a ton of quality recent sci fi flicks!

What makes you think I haven't seen all these movies? Most of that stuff is years and decades old. Your rant is one giant strawman, when nobody made the claim that in the long history of movies, there has never been great sci-fi. I've even seen World on a Wire, that obscure German Matrix-like predecessor from 1973...

Of course there are many great sci-fi movies, but compared to the absolutely huge output of movies in general, they are still far and few between. When I said that I'm starving for some good sci-fi movies, I was referring to the present situation. Like, what good sci-fi movies are out there right now?

What makes you think I haven't seen all these movies? Most of that stuff is years and decades old. Your rant is one giant strawman, when nobody made the claim that in the long history of movies, there has never been great sci-fi. I've even seen World on a Wire, that obscure German Matrix-like predecessor from 1973...

Of course there are many great sci-fi movies, but compared to the absolutely huge output of movies in general, they are still far and few between. When I said that I'm starving for some good sci-fi movies, I was referring to the present situation. Like, what good sci-fi movies are out there right now?
How about scifi anime?

How about scifi anime?

Sure, lots of good stuff to find there too. I enjoyed Knights of Sidonia for example. My main gripe with anime is that there is a lot of bland derivative crap out there, so it's really hard to separate the wheat from the chaff.

Z..

Like, what good sci-fi movies are out there right now?
All of them, that's my point. Age is irrelevant if you haven't watched them yet. It's one of the richest genres in film, contrary to what you seem to believe.
My post isn't necessarily a strawman since I'm not countering any argument, merely attempting to establish it's quite hard and unlikely to be genuinely starved for good sci fi unless you're choosing to ignore a whole lot of stuff. Film is my favorite medium and sci fi is one of my 3 favorite genres, I find it's probaby the most rewarding genre in the sense that I'm constantly finding gems, hidden or otherwise!

All of them

No, just no. Plenty of crappy sci-fi to go around.

Age is irrelevant if you haven't watched them yet. It's one of the richest genres in film, contrary to what you seem to believe.

But I did watch all of that stuff. I even watch some of the more obscure movies like The last Push (bad), Europa Report (good) and Approaching the Unknown (average). I still think there's not enough good sci-fi to go around, especially considering its rich literature.

My post isn't necessarily a strawman since I'm not countering any argument, merely attempting to establish it's quite hard and unlikely to be genuinely starved for good sci fi unless you're choosing to ignore a whole lot of stuff.

Well, I disagree. No reason to go on a whole tirade.

Film is my favorite medium and sci fi is one of my 3 favorite genres, I find it's probaby the most rewarding genre in the sense that I'm constantly finding gems, hidden or otherwise!

I love sci-fi too, that doesn't mean I can't be starved for some good sci-fi movies to watch. It's really not that complicated. Most of the stuff you recommended is already well known to any sci-fi fan anyway.

Last edited:

Z..

No, just no. Plenty of crappy sci-fi to go around.
Don't be disingenuous, you know that's not what I meant. I mean you currently have access to over a hundred years of great sci fi movies. All the good sci fi films ever made are out there right now.

But I did watch all of that stuff. I even watch some of the more obscure movies like The last Push (bad), Europa Report (good) and Approaching the Unknown (average). I still think there's not enough good sci-fi to go around, especially considering its rich literature.

It is by far the richest genre in film outside straight up drama. There's literally hundreds upon hundreds of good sci fi films to choose from. Eastern European stuff from the 70s/80s alone is enough to keep any fan happy for years! It's pretty much on par with the literature, quite frankly.
Basically, if there isn't enough good sci fi to go around, then there isn't enough good of pretty much any genre to go around.

Well, I disagree. No reason to go on a whole tirade.
You're free to disagree, my point is merely that it's about as abundant a genre as it gets when it comes to quality, really. If you find yourself starved for quality releases in a genre as abundant in quality releases as sci fi then I'm sorry to say you're doomed to remain unsatisfied for the rest of your life. It takes quite a voracious appetite to reach that point, though.

I love sci-fi too, that doesn't mean I can't be starved for some good sci-fi movies to watch. It's really not that complicated. Most of the stuff you recommended is already well known to any sci-fi fan anyway.

Which is precisely why I refered to them as genre staples. The whole point is that there's an ocean of stuff beyond that. I've been a hardcore sci fi fan for almost 20 years at this point and I was completely unaware of Kanji Nakajima until last night, for example. Consequently, I've just discovered 3 new scifi films that piqued my interest in the last 24 hours.

My problem with sci-fi and fantasy on film is that it's so god-awful expensive to produce that interesting stories rarely get produced in favor of mass-consumer crap. Unfortunately I can't blame film executives for their timidity due to plenty of films in the genera that can't make their budget back.

I'm lucky though in that my job allows me to listen to a lot of audio books. I have over 400 titles in my Audible library.

The short story is fantastic. I hope the movie gets a European release.

Inconstant Moon will probably be Hollywood's answer to this.

Fbh

Looks fun.
It's like a disaster movie with a more interesting premise, and it seems to have some cool set pieces. Will check out once it's out there to rent/stream

Sure, lots of good stuff to find there too. I enjoyed Knights of Sidonia for example. My main gripe with anime is that there is a lot of bland derivative crap out there, so it's really hard to separate the wheat from the chaff.

Is knights of Sidonia worth seeing through?
First season was Ok but I sort of started to lose interest in S2 when there was this girl that turned into a penis monster

Dontero

Banned
I am way more interested in that than in any hollywood movie today.
I was trying to find a movie to get hyped about for 2019 and every fucking damn list was superhero movie.

Hollywood is dying.

That's certainly an interesting premise lol. Count me in.

It's technically 'possible' to move a planet this way. Nothing fancy about the tech, just its epic scale. This is why the premise is interesting to me.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
In the meanwhile in the west:

star-trek-discovery-season-2-release-date-cast-news.jpg

Search the white straight guy.

In the meanwhile in china.

20170608022754354.jpg

This must be how lefty's / hollywood hell must look like.

Anyway will be checking it out, exactly my type of movie.
Good job using a picture without the captain, who in almost all episodes so far, was a (presumably straight) white man. Only four of the pictured play any significant role at all so far (bottom right, bottom center, top row second and third from the left).

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
Well that's got my interest. As a poster above observed, all Hollywood churns out right now is superhero films, and they all take themselves far too seriously. They're fucking boring.

I didn't even know it had a sequel. Color me surprised! =O
Keep searching man, there's always some rocks left unturned! I had never even heard of Kin-dza-dza! until a few weeks ago and it became probably my favorite sci fi comedy! Same for On the Silver Globe, I was completely unaware of it until very recently and it quickly become one of my fav surrealist films. Sci fi is such a rich genre there's always something great waiting to be discovered!

why are you so oddly enthusiastic about sci fi

EekTheKat

I saw this movie a while back, while it's solid for Chinese movie standards it's best to temper your expectations as the next great sci-fi epic. It's a decent movie but it's not the next 2001 A Space Odyssey. It's more of a product of modern day Sci-fi vs the golden age of sci-fi of yesteryear.

CGI destruction porn with shades of many sci-fi movies like Armageddon, Gravity and 2001 A Space Odyssey.

I didn't hate it, thought it was a step in the right direction for Chinese films but unfortunately
the movie starts off promising, but the second half of the movie pretty much implodes into a series of tearjerking haymakers* , more CGI destruction porn, and a somewhat questionable solution to a problem the writers wrote themselves into for the ending.

* by tearjerking haymakers I mean constructed scenes intended to make you cry.

woigemok

Banned
I saw this movie a while back, while it's solid for Chinese movie standards it's best to temper your expectations as the next great sci-fi epic. It's a decent movie but it's not the next 2001 A Space Odyssey. It's more of a product of modern day Sci-fi vs the golden age of sci-fi of yesteryear.

CGI destruction porn with shades of many sci-fi movies like Armageddon, Gravity and 2001 A Space Odyssey.

I didn't hate it, thought it was a step in the right direction for Chinese films but unfortunately
the movie starts off promising, but the second half of the movie pretty much implodes into a series of tearjerking haymakers* , more CGI destruction porn, and a somewhat questionable solution to a problem the writers wrote themselves into for the ending.

* by tearjerking haymakers I mean constructed scenes intended to make you cry.
I wish they copied Shin Godzilla robot management style instead of those tear shitty moments.

Last edited:
Top Bottom