• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The War Z: shady, misleading and false advertising.

Truant

Imagine there was a company similar to Gameloft. Only they copied Gameloft games much like Gameloft copies popular games. The War Z would be a game this company made. A poor copy of a poor imitation, only that poor imitation didn't exist. They just went straight for the suck.

El'Kharn

Sorry, I can't take you seriously.

some people defend anything.

I got more hours put into this POS than i now care to admit. Any redeeming factors of this game have been rendered totally invalid by the rampant stupidity of Serg titwhatever his name is. Hes little more than a piece of shit scumbag thief who steals candy from babies and most likely pokes old disabled people in the eye for fun. Lawn chair tipping clown that he is.

Card Boy

Banned
The War Z.

Someone needs to edit these with The War Z instead.

YXShJ.gif

0361_7ygt.gif

QaaQer

by many of them not even being consumers trying to shit on the game till everyone has no game at all because they shut it down?

Sounds appropriate.

The reaction came mostly from Steam users, whether or not they bought the game is immaterial if that game hurts steam as a whole.

Steam becomes a worse place for consumers if lying developers are not held to account for their false advertising of shit-still-in-alpha games. And if the Steam forums are given over to developers with North Korean inspired forum moderation; then those forums become useless.

Moreover, War Z has directly harmed the Day Z brand, which might actually be a good game.

So yeah, fucking with the main place PC games are sold, and hurting a legitimate developer makes the blowback nutpunch appropriate.

edit: and as far as I know, nobody is saying these guys cannot develop and sell their game, just not on steam.

The reaction came mostly from Steam users, whether or not they bought the game is immaterial if that game hurts steam as a whole.

Steam becomes a worse place for consumers if lying developers are not held to account for their false advertising of shit-still-in-alpha games. And if the Steam forums are given over to developers with North Korean inspired forum moderation; then those forums become useless.

Moreover, War Z has directly harmed the Day Z brand, which might actually be a good game.

So yeah, fucking with the main place PC games are sold, and hurting a legitimate developer makes the blowback nutpunch appropriate.

edit: and as far as I know, nobody is saying these guys cannot develop and sell their game, just not on steam.

That I can agree with. And I agreed with yesterday aswell.

Not sure if this hurts dayz brand itself, but it could be the case for uninformed users.

and about your edit. Some people have a problem with the whole game and want to see it going under.

I've always wondered something about War Z. I saw that quote from the 2 year dev cycle, but...

DayZ was basically quite unique, sure it had zombies like Left For Dead, Killing Floor and loads of other zombie games, but it was open world and the creators didn't even expect it to get this huge and popular. Then, all of a sudden the game gets popular and The War Z pops up.

To me, it just feels like a "f2p (+base game price) moneygrab" version of Day Z.

First and second paragraph I agree with.

The last one is obvious. Who is paying for the servers? In dayz, users do. Here, the devs set them up. So it needs a way to make a steady income aside from the base price on the long run. Unless you mean they should just bleed those who buy strongholds. The drawback of this (with the good side being a pretty good performance and always in sync with a main database) is the fact that when they pull the plug it's over.

Amish

Neo Member
never had faith in this game when i first heard of it.. announced when dayz popularity was at its peak, basically the same name.. how can anyone believe that they started development before dayz where announced, by a company that no one has ever heard of? this is going down the drain.

dLMN8R

So am I really supposed to believe the man who blatantly lied about the features in his game (and then blamed me for believing those lies) when he tells the world that his game has sold 700,000 copies, and 90%+ enjoy the game according to a poll hosted by his company?

If you have the game, is there actually any way to check in-game roughly how many people are playing? Maybe a server browser that shows active people on active servers?

Feature

Banned
Sorry but anyone who didn't see this coming are just incredible gullible people. I can understand if you never heard of the game and wanted to try it out, but there were people who knew about all this shit and still bought the game. Sorry but you deserve what you get.

antitrop

Sorry but anyone who didn't see this coming are just incredible gullible people. I can understand if you never heard of the game and wanted to try it out, but there were people who knew about all this shit and still bought the game. Sorry but you deserve what you get.
People who bought it in the first 24 hours on Steam were lied to in the game description. Anyone who bought it based off that was ripped off. Anyone who bought it because they thought it was the standalone DayZ was intentionally tricked with the Steam search results and the embarrassingly similar name.

It's a scam, straight up and too many fell unfortunate victim. Thankfully, many get their refunds.

It's ok we forgive you. I used to defend the Playstation Network until the PSN hacks.

Errr, why? The psn hack was more news headlines than anything in reality. Unlike other companies which just shift the blame, sony took the hit by claiming it themselves and... well, hyperbole happened.

The game is not bad, but the features on steam and their website are in present tense when they won't exist for quite some time. I can understand anyone wanting a refund if they were lied.

Feature

Banned
People who bought it in the first 24 hours on Steam were lied to in the game description. Anyone who bought it based off that was ripped off. Anyone who bought it because they thought it was the standalone DayZ was intentionally tricked with the Steam search results and the embarrassingly similar name.

It's a scam, straight up and too many fell unfortunate victim. Thankfully, many get their refunds.

Yes I agree and those people got scammed and the developers are a bunch of scumbags for it. But I knew the first moment I saw the game a couple of months ago it would be utter shit. All the issues reported on various sites just confirmed that. People who saw the same stuff as me and still bought it... no you do not deserve a refund.

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
Yes I agree and those people got scammed and the developers are a bunch of scumbags for it. But I knew the first moment I saw the game a couple of months ago it would be utter shit. All the issues reported on various sites just confirmed that. People who saw the same stuff as me and still bought it... no you do not deserve a refund.

?

What a silly thing to say.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
You shouldn't punish ignorance. Why are you putting the blame on the scammed people, instead of on the ones who perpetrated this shit?

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
so they patched out the 4h timer back to 1h and removed the early revive

KAP151

The more bad press and negative feedback these assholes get, the better.

In this day and age, there is no reason for them to even be a bit player in the game industry. Hope this Sergey guy crashes and burns for all the lies and BS.

That seems more like stress from typical development issues.

Yep. Dunno why your direct competitor is going to affect you for being "utter shit". That should keep you even in better spirit.

Unless he overpromised in a short timespan and is just seeing now what the reaction could be, as dayz standalone won't be a free mod anymore.

Truant

If DayZ standalone is canceled because some shitty company made a shitty imitation of it, then the world is a sad place to live in.

SteveWD40

What are the zombies like in WarZ? Slow moving and eerie?

I await the zombie game that creates that sense of dread and panic that slow moving hordes can create, DayZ's epileptic buggy sprinters didn't do it for me.

well, this could mean, and by could mean I mean from rocket's perspective, that even though the war Z is not such a bad game, it's getting destroyed by the "users" (let it be customers or anyone), so that probably puts him under stress for everything he wanted the game to have and probably won't have by release date, and how people may react similar to the war Z, as people even asked for refunds of dayZ.

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
What are the zombies like in WarZ? Slow moving and eerie?

I await the zombie game that creates that sense of dread and panic that slow moving hordes can create, DayZ's epileptic buggy sprinters didn't do it for me.

Slow moving is nothing if you can't render in mass numbers though, which many people don't have the PC hardware to do. So, as a compromise, you get ones that are a bit faster and you don't have an unlimited sprint. DayZ is actually pretty terrifying when you first play it.

WarZ has its moments too, but it has a lot of polish to add. Literally a metric shit ton of polish before you can even compare the two.

gutabo

Slow moving is nothing if you can't render in mass numbers though, which many people don't have the PC hardware to do. So, as a compromise, you get ones that are a bit faster and you don't have an unlimited sprint. DayZ is actually pretty terrifying when you first play it.

WarZ has its moments too, but it has a lot of polish to add. Literally a metric shit ton of polish before you can even compare the two.

I still remember my first time playing DayZ... it was a pitch black night, I died like 5 times in an hour and each character was worth a scary tale full of tension. Playing with friends only made it even better(and easier and less scary). My first time playing WarZ(thanks to a friend)? Spawned with a couple of strangers, died 10 seconds later, respawned and met three hackers(each one killed me) before meeting with my friend, who had glitched himself into the roof of a restaurant and couldn't get out. I tried to kill myself running into the zombies that gathered around us but they only had eyes for my friend and didn't even move, just watched him. Tried to glitch myself into the roof, died god knows how in the process. Uninstalled the game soon afterwards.

SteveWD40

Oh I agree, it's shit, but I like the idea of slow moving zombies and maybe someone taking that and running with it.

Truant

An increase in zombies is possible in the standalone, as they're reworking the entire core of how they work. As of now, zombies are running with full ARMAII AI routines, reloading, flanking, animation, whatever. They only need like 2% of the AI processing, and overall GPU/CPU power they're currently using.

Just watched TotalBiscuit's 40 minute gameplay video. This game looks like 100% trash. I feel sorry for anyone who paid for War Z, especially if they bought in-game items.

CzarTim

Just watched TotalBiscuit's 40 minute gameplay video. This game looks like 100% trash. I feel sorry for anyone who paid for War Z, especially if they bought in-game items.

Yeah. It doesn't say ANYWHERE on the site or in game that even the cosmetic items drop on death.

Top Bottom