• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The White Disenfranchisement Narrative

Status
Not open for further replies.

platocplx

The colin mcenroe show on NPR started to tackle this narrative. I think many people should listen to this.

The White Disenfranchisement Narrative
http://one.npr.org/i/511644394:511644396

Summary. It really is totally a boldfaced lie.

Some reading material by some of the panelist
Rethinking the Color Line: Readings in Race and Ethnicity(Academic Material) - Charles A. Gallagher
White Rage The unspoken truth of our racial Divide - Carol Anderson

Some Excerpts

White Working class have a belief there is equal discrimination against all groups. Whites Believe they are a minority. Average Americans believe Black Americans are 39% of the Population(reality is 12%) Latino 33%(reality is 16%) They think Foreigners are 38 % of the population (13%).
They say if you perceive group size larger you vote in that way.

Trump all Lies

The Safest communities neighborhoods have large foreign born populations

Even the Perception of the 2050 whites being a minority is distorted because of people self defining themselves as white its not accounted for.

Impact of economic issues is magnified for people of color. During the recession for PoC lost 31% of wealth while white was limited to 11% which also shows evidence of "econimic anxiety" being nonsense as well.

On Voter Suppression Tactics and Voter Fraud
Voter Fraud is a lie. Reality is aggressive tactics to make voting harder on minorities. Great example of this is in Alabama.
1. Looked to pass Voter ID as law requiring Govt IDs
2. Defined narrowly what constituted Govt ID regardless of it being issued by the Govt.
3. Systematically closed DMV locations in predominately Black areas.

Texas
Followed the same model. They even had people who would have to travel over 200 miles to get ID. Even if the reimburse travel expense this still would not help people who would need to take work off and lose money for a days worth of work.
This currently is the way that power is maintained in areas that have changing demographics.

A lot more I encourage people to listen.

Beartruck

The only white people disenfranchised are the poor by the rich. Europe is lucky in this regard, as most europeans got the rebellion against the ruling elite out of their systems a long time ago, while america still hasn't.

It's a entitled pity party for a group of people who where already neck deep in resentment for everything the left stands for.

Flux

The phrase "For those accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression" explains it simply.

Wow. That hurts to read. I couldn't believe how many people were upset at things like the recent Women's March. They don't feel good about themselves, they only want to feel superior to someone else.

Kill3r7

The phrase "For those accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression" explains it simply.

It's a entitled pity party for a group of people who where already neck deep in resentment for everything the left stands for.

Wow. That hurts to read. I couldn't believe how many people were upset at things like the recent Women's March. They don't feel good about themselves, they only want to feel superior to someone else.

Yep.

Listened to the whole thing.

Excellent discussion and very much worth your time. Many important perspectives and illuminating insights in a very small amount of time.

If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.
- President Lyndon B. Johnson

Listening to this reminds me of this quote.

In America you're not supposed to blame the rich. They are there to aspire to. So instead, for all the problems, the injustices, the unfairness of it all some blame Jews, or Blacks, or Muslims, or Mexicans, even women. Anyone but the ones who actually have a direct influence on your life (actually they will blame them if they're of a Party they didn't vote for). Americans seem happy to accept the disgustingly rich as if it's evidence of how great the USA is. The idea that maybe those riches should be invested back into the communities that helped create that wealth seems almost alien to most Americans. If left wing politics hadn't been essentially snuffed out in the USA or at least treated with suspicion things may have been different. Too late now. America, you're fucked. And Trump is all the proof you need.

I'd also blame certain ideologies like Objectivism which is still horrifically popular in the US even though it's an incredibly disgusting and inhumane belief. I also wonder how much of a negative influence American Transcendentalism has had, considering one of their central beliefs is that the State makes good people bad and self-reliance is regarded as the best way to live.

Anyway, it's all fucked up and there's no easy solution. Maybe there's no solution at all.

The only white people disenfranchised are the poor by the rich. Europe is lucky in this regard, as most europeans got the rebellion against the ruling elite out of their systems a long time ago, while america still hasn't.
Plus our poor also likely have free healthcare and a strong benefits system, that kind of sates them a bit.

gcubed

just think how much money the disenfranchised whites are going to save on heroin when Trump pulls back support for Mexico. That will be an economic stimulus on its own!

KingK

Too bad we won't be seeing this kind of excellent news media once republicans gut NPR and PBS. NPR is my primary news source and I listen at least an hour every day while driving.

Kreed

Thanks for sharing this OP. Great listen, but definitely be prepared to "shake your head" at some parts like the Rush Limbaugh clip discussing his fear of Democrats allowing black people to vote multiple times.

Sunster

Too bad we won't be seeing this kind of excellent news media once republicans gut NPR and PBS. NPR is my primary news source and I listen at least an hour every day while driving.

PBS is supported by viewers like you. They'll be ok.

platocplx

added some items to the OP.
Listened to the whole thing.

Excellent discussion and very much worth your time. Many important perspectives and illuminating insights in a very small amount of time.

agreed. I think this could really be a great starting point for people to really understand what is really happening and how perceptions are totally messed up.

EGM1966

Where do people get these statistics? 39% of the population is black? Huh?
Reinforcement perception is a wonderful drug. Add to that most people are fairly lousy at percentages anyway and it's easy to see how this happens.

Most people filter what they perceive to their set bias and simply don't apply critical thinking (which requires making a conscious effort to ignore your bias and process the actual information and form conclusions from that and be ready to adjust your views). Just go into any GAF thread on sales or discussion on the impact of a new console and see it in action.

Applies just as well when evaluating population, jobs, racial splits and why things really are unfair for you.

I really wish we lived in a world where the majority looked at the facts and when "well bugger me I've got it all wrong but now I get it" and move on from there but the reality is essentially the opposite and the majority skews the information to fit their narrative instead.

Beartruck

Plus our poor also likely have free healthcare and a strong benefits system, that kind of sates them a bit.
Kinda, but in america, there is this insane pervasive belief that your worth is directly tied to your wealth and damn the extenuating circumstances. This lead to Trump and his cronies being elected, because they're all super rich, so clearly they're all super smart and successful and it can't be that they were just born into it.

Jumeira

Banned
Great discussion, we're also seeing radicalisation amongst angry young white men taking place in Europe, bolstered by far right parties and of course Trumps presidential victory. I'm old enough to see the shift that's taken place over the last 20 years, it's a cause for concern.

platocplx

Reinforcement perception is a wonderful drug. Add to that most people are fairly lousy at percentages anyway and it's easy to see how this happens.

Most people filter what they perceive to their set bias and simply don't apply critical thinking (which requires making a conscious effort to ignore your bias and process the actual information and form conclusions from that and be ready to adjust your views). Just go into any GAF thread on sales or discussion on the impact of a new console and see it in action.

Applies just as well when evaluating population, jobs, racial splits and why things really are unfair for you.

I really wish we lived in a world where the majority looked at the facts and when "well bugger me I've got it all wrong but now I get it" and move on from there but the reality is essentially the opposite and the majority skews the information to fit their narrative instead.

yup

Also you can see how badly misinformed people are about wealth distribution, with what is ideal(for a self sustaining capitalistic society) and what is actual(extremely extremely bad) nearly 40% of the country owns .3% of the wealth in this country.

pP2Cemo.png

Futureman

LOL if African Americans were 39% of the population, do these people really think Trump would have been voted in as president?

kirblar

There was a study (don't have it handy) where they found that people in monolithically white communities simply freaked the f out at any amount of minority presence.

All that false persecution and inflated numbers are a result of that.

akira28

White people, who I guess roughly make up ~60% of the population...think they only make up 3% of the population?

Holeee Gee Fuck

these people are wigging out.

on the other hand, this totally explains Super Special Snowflake Syndrome. White people truly are the Shiny Pokemon of our day. rare as fuck to see one.

Flux

White people, who I guess roughly make up ~60% of the population...think they only make up 3% of the population?

Holeee Gee Fuck

on the other hand, this totally explains Super Special Snowflake Syndrome. White people truly are the Shiny Pokemon of our day. rare as fuck to see one.

Yeah seriously. Statistics and census reports are out there. Why do they think minorities are called... well minorities? Like its some special media slur?

I couldn't get through the interview. It was well produced and made, but the people are just insultingly stupid.

Sinfamy

Class is an identity that overshadows all others, literally race and gender agnostic.
Treat all hard working people equally and offer prosperity.

kswiston

Holeee Gee Fuck

The Hispanic and foreign born estimates would be an almost entirely overlapping Venn Diagram (with a side of Asians/Muslims making up the difference).

The white estimate is probably closer to 30% (about half the true number).

The white people who think they are a minority also think that every brown person is a foreigner.

kirblar

Class is an identity that overshadows all others, literally race and gender agnostic.
Treat all hard working people equally and offer prosperity.
The reason there is no class solidarity in the US is racism.

It does NOT overshadow all others for people.

EGM1966

yup

Also you can see how badly misinformed people are about wealth distribution, with what is ideal(for a self sustaining capitalistic society) and what is actual(extremely extremely bad) nearly 40% of the country owns .3% of the wealth in this country.

TBH it staggers and worries me how misinformed some (many) people are.

The Kree

Banned

Holeee Gee Fuck

We keep asking minorities to reach out to people who literally must live on a different plane of existence. Doctor Strange couldn't bridge this gap.

platocplx

TBH it staggers and worries me how misinformed some (many) people are.

I dont even begin to know how to counteract the gross miseducation of the american people.

I feel like the right people need to get on board of eds for public education and totally revamp how we teach students.

For example black history month is great but it needs to be taught as american history year round.

Have students attend town hall meetings, general civics classes etc. The fear of govt many americans have is due in part they have no idea who any of it works.

For example... I didnt even know that a VP could be a VP unlimited times while only pres is disqualified. Additionally the Supreme court helped over turn rules against congressional term limits.

There is so much.

Then you have people arguing about how awful paying people 15 dollars an hour is, when literally all the wealth is currently held by the top 20% of the country. They can fucking afford it and more.

its just a mess and people will not change their perspective because they are not experiencing things directly.

- President Lyndon B. Johnson

Listening to this reminds me of this quote.

Almost everything in the last 40 years reminds me of that quote.

Where do people get these statistics? 39% of the population is black? Huh?

Out of their ass. You have to understand the kind of people we're talking about here.

• Rich whites who have no clue of the world outside their bubble.
  • Poor whites who live in areas with no minorities but have virtually nothing and spend almost all day on TV or the internet and have a skewed perception of reality because the percentage minority representation in popular media is vastly larger than national average.
  • Upper middle class whites who experience a broad world that usually goes far beyond national limitations. Privileged enough to experience it but not enough to realize they had a leg up over everyone else and believe all people should work for what they have in life like they feel they have.
  • Middle class whites who experience a larger world than the first two groups yet are still trapped enough to combine both perspectives into a one where they personally know minorities better off than they are and simultaneously reinforce stereotypes at the same time they believe that minorities are doing just fine because of media representation. Often engage in lots of cultural appropriation because they feel like they are right in the middle of everyone and can relate to everyone when in practice they barely associate with anyone else.
  • Lower middle class whites who are jealous of upper middle class whites because their income is both much greater than theirs but still within a number they can actually intellectualize. People richer than upper middle class whites have more money than lower middle class whites can understand, so they curiously believe whatever rich people tell them is the reason they themselves aren't.
A lot of white people see each other as individuals (the default human) and other groups as a monolithic entity. The majority of white people ignore race within the context of their lives because they are privileged enough for it to be socially meaningless and therefor they prefer to see problems and base their own insecurities along class lines. For the white person, the suffering they endure from historical legacy is limited to their own family history and they have no concept that there's additional layers for other groups. This enables the perspectives that race is manufactured (it is, but it wasn't by minorities) and that affirmative action is reverse discrimination. Race as a concept is foreign, so introducing it as a factor in other people's lives by default feels like a suggestion that their skin color is the reason other people suffer.

The entire overarching experience is one where personal, socially detached perception of reality is enabled by a complete lack of cultural pressure to the contrary. White people as a whole are a population whose delusions about reality are not only tolerated but pandered to by sheer force of numbers and the legacy of societal structure.

Sorry, it's been a rough week and I felt like venting about my own family

kswiston

Then you have people arguing about how awful paying people 15 dollars an hour is, when literally all the wealth is currently held by the top 20% of the country. They can fucking afford it and more.

I think one of reasons the Republicans are able to get the bottom 50% of the country on board with not having a fair minimum wage is that the guy making $16 an hour doesn't want the guy making $8 an hour to get bumped up near his level.

NandoGip

Imagine you're a normal white dude. You try to be a good person, but you're not perfect. Everyone you know is white, family, friends, you name it.

You turn on the tv one day and it says white people disproportionally are to blame for many of the problems other people face. The guy thinks to himself "Wait, I'm a good person, it's not me."

The next day, he turns the tv on to another channel and it says "White people are NOT at fault for other peoples problems". The guy thinks to himself "Yeah, I know that's my reailty, the other people just don't have any personal responsibility."

Rinse and repeat the two scenarios above for years and years. Eventually they forget where these thoughts even came from and imagine that they came to the conclusion themselves.

Eventually we hit a point like today where we have a dick like Trump who jumps on their fragility, fear, and subconscious racism, and manipulates them to give him power so he can benefit only him and cronies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom