• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wii U - quite possibly Nintendo's best console even if it failed?

False.
nintendo_wuppalze_the_legend_of_zelda_1311618.jpg
We have Switch for that.

Astral Dog

Completely unnapealing hardware name and marketing, zero third party support.

However, i still had fun with Wii U and don't regret getting one, sometimes i miss the quirkiness of its OS like Miiverse, the Eshop music or those little Pikmin that moved data, its pure Nintendo <3. Switch looks dead in comparison :^( but i guess thats part of the appeal

LordOfChaos

The annoying thing was for the first half of the Wii U's life, they kept saying "just one game can save a platform", and BoTW was going to be that standout game. But then they kept delaying it to "coincidentally" launch with the Switch, the Wii U build was months old at launch, and they stripped out features from the Wii U version to make the Switch the better platform for it.

I swear they were trying to sandbag each other here lol. "So you're sure this will come out next year?" "What about Star fox"?

"This must be a dungeon" "uhh"

Last edited:

Hudo

The annoying thing was for the first half of the Wii U's life, they kept saying "just one game can save a platform", and BoTW was going to be that standout game. But then they kept delaying it to "coincidentally" launch with the Switch, the Wii U build was months old at launch, and they stripped out features from the Wii U version to make the Switch the better platform for it.

I swear they were trying to sandbag each other here lol. "So you're sure this will come out next year?" "What about Star fox"?

And in the end, only one went away with the crown:

The salt from the Sony Defense Force™ was fucking hilarious. I was laughing my ass off at some of the posts made here and over at 4chan.

Last edited:

Moogle11

Banned
Not for me as a lot of the games people loved like Tropical Freeze, Nintendoland, Pikmin 3, Bayonetta 2, Wonderful 101 etc. just weren't my cup of tea. Switch has far surpassed it for me, especially since most of the Wii U games I liked have gotten ported over. The hybrid form factor is huge as well as I always struggle to devote my TV gaming time to a Nintendo game, indie etc. instead of an AAA game with top level graphics on another platform. I do a lot more Nintendo and indie gaming on handhelds prior and Switch now as I can squeeze that in when traveling, sitting outside enjoying a nice day, while half watching sports on the TV etc.

teezzy

Banned
3DS/Wii U era was arguably Nintendo at their best. So much so, that when I bought my Switch I was sorely disappointed by what was coming out for it. Sold it after Arms failed to deliver on any level whatsoever, and my joy con began to drift. Such weak garbage. Nintendo sucks now.

Wii U was their swan song

Obscure game man I love you but I can't agree with you here. The Wii U was little more than a failed proof of concept for the Switch. It has some great games but all Nintendo consoles do.

I couldn't even take it to the crapper :(

StormCell

I was really disappointed by the Wii U's reveal and actually had no plans of picking one up. I did like the New Super Mario Bros. game for it, however, and ended up picking one up on a whim. While it has some really good games, the rest of the package was just really unimpressive. Others have stated clearly what the shortcomings are, which include the slow and clunky UI and generally underpowered system specifications.

By comparison, the GameCube is possibly Nintendo's greatest system that didn't dominate. The games for that system are still among some of the best today such that we're still begging to get ports of those titles. I'll never forget playing Melee, Metroid Prime, Eternal Darkness, Sunshine, and Wind Waker on this system. It had generally really good third party support even if the ports were often late or missing some new feature. By the end of that race, the GameCube library had a greater number of top quality exclusives than either of its competitors.

PooBone

Yeah, and the map was one of my least favorite parts of that game, and could have been corrected by just making the Switch and WiiU use the handheld for mapping while playing on a TV. Very annoying.

PooBone

I was really disappointed by the Wii U's reveal and actually had no plans of picking one up. I did like the New Super Mario Bros. game for it, however, and ended up picking one up on a whim. While it has some really good games, the rest of the package was just really unimpressive. Others have stated clearly what the shortcomings are, which include the slow and clunky UI and generally underpowered system specifications.

By comparison, the GameCube is possibly Nintendo's greatest system that didn't dominate. The games for that system are still among some of the best today such that we're still begging to get ports of those titles. I'll never forget playing Melee, Metroid Prime, Eternal Darkness, Sunshine, and Wind Waker on this system. It had generally really good third party support even if the ports were often late or missing some new feature. By the end of that race, the GameCube library had a greater number of top quality exclusives than either of its competitors.
Not to mention the god-tier Resident Evil remake (a GC exclusive for years), which still is sold and looks good today.
Plus Viewtiful Joe, Killer 7, the Legend of Zelda Master Quest compilation,

Zimmy68

I loved my Wii U.
It actually was innovative and made me (at first) play multi platform games on it.
I remember it was so cool to be able to play Call of Duty co-op using the controller screen.
It was arguably the best version of Assassin's Creed III with the touch screen.
But of course Nintendo severely underpowered it which crippled 3rd party development.

RAIDEN1

That accolade goes to Super Nintendo...where some of the true greats were born: Starfox, F-Zero, Donkey Kong Country, Mario Kart....

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
Hell no. At first looked kinda nice, but came too late for the party and Nintendo didn't do their homework about their projects

Also, marketing was rock bottom for Nintendo. They messed really bad

The good thing is that they learn from this trainwreck and did the right thing, the Switch, which is the perfect version of the Wii U

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
I absolutely loved what they did with the gamepad for Nintendo land. One of those games when you show it off it really clicked for everybody watching / playing. I don’t think we will get anything to that level of multi screen creativity unless we start linking phones to system. Absolute shame they didn’t do a proper Pac-Man vs for that system.

PooBone

We have Switch for that.
That's cool. I have a Wii U for that. So if nothing else, the point of the Wii U is to save me buying a console I don't want - with required DRM, cruddy sticks known to acquire drift (ala the Xbone controllers), joycons for hands that aren't fully grown, and a missing VC. I don't typically play handheld games (though I own a 3DS and Vita). I can play every Zelda game of note on one un-modded system, then hop into some Mario Brothers 2, Excitebike, or Donkey Kong Country before calling it a night, without ever being required connect it to WiFi (I have a sort of second house/man-cave that's out-of-range of my internet). Can you do that on the Switch?

Last edited:

fart town usa

Gold Member
That's cool. I have a Wii U for that. So if nothing else, the point of the Wii U is to save me buying a console I don't want - with required DRM, cruddy sticks known to acquire drift (ala the Xbone controllers), joycons for hands that aren't fully grown, and a missing VC. I don't typically play handheld games (though I own a 3DS and Vita). I can play every Zelda game of note on one un-modded system, then hop into some Mario Brothers 2, Excitebike, or Donkey Kong Country before calling it a night. Can you do that on the Switch?
owned GIF

lol

That's cool. I have a Wii U for that. So if nothing else, the point of the Wii U is to save me buying a console I don't want - with required DRM, cruddy sticks known to acquire drift (ala the Xbone controllers), joycons for hands that aren't fully grown, and a missing VC. I don't typically play handheld games (though I own a 3DS and Vita). I can play every Zelda game of note on one un-modded system, then hop into some Mario Brothers 2, Excitebike, or Donkey Kong Country before calling it a night. Can you do that on the Switch?
Sure if you want to play an inferior version of BOTW, be my guest. You do know you can play with a pro controller on a switch too right? And you'll be missing out on all the great switch exclusives and everything else that's still coming.

And let's be honest, there's a reason why the Wii U was a huge flop in almost every way. But like I said, great for emulation and playing gamecube games.

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
To be fair though, there are things the Wii U did right. One of them was Miiverse. Would love to see that again. It was very unique.
And obviously, Virtual Console was better treated on Wii U.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Even though I'm a video game collector, I still sold my Wii U recently because the three or maybe four games still worth (arguably) playing on it were just kinda gathering dust and the Wii U is selling for a good amount right now. The money went towards a Sony 85" X900H so I call that a big win.

I'm not really going to miss Star Fox Zero, Mario Color Splash, Yoshi's Woolly World, or Xenoblade Chronicles X. Sucks losing the two HD Zelda rereleases but I'm a betting man and I'm almost certain those will get released for the Switch soon.

Plus I don't have to have:

The console plugged in
The gamepad plugged in
The external HDD plugged in

My Wii U looked like it was on life support with all the shit plugged in.

Although I'm still stuck with the IR sensor because the Wii is hooked up again.

fart town usa

Gold Member
Sure if you want to play an inferior version of BOTW, be my guest. You do know you can play with a pro controller on a switch too right? And you'll be missing out on all the great switch exclusives and everything else that's still coming.

And let's be honest, there's a reason why the Wii U was a huge flop in almost every way. But like I said, great for emulation and playing gamecube games.
Alright, at the risk of adding to a flame war, let's not act like BOTW WiiU is somehow a jank version of the game. I haven't played it on Switch but I put probably 80 hours into the Wii U version (this year), the bulk of that was played on the gamepad. The game is fine, acting like BOTW is that hampered on the Wii U is not an accurate statement.

I didn't experience any issues on the Wii U. I guess the audio is better on Switch and the grass looks better? I dunno. Details that are irrelevant to most people.

Last edited:

kunonabi

Alright, at the risk of adding to a flame war, let's not act like BOTW WiiU is somehow a jank version of the game. I haven't played it on Switch but I put probably 80 hours into the Wii U version (this year), the bulk of that was played on the gamepad. The game is fine, acting like BOTW is that hampered on the Wii U is not an accurate statement.

I didn't experience any issues on the Wii U. I guess the audio is better on Switch and the grass looks better? I dunno. Details that are irrelevant to most people.
It's also a moot point anyway since the whole game was gutted and compromised to make it playable on the Switch to begin with.

TheMan

Nah, Super Nintendo was host to the first arc of Squaresoft's golden age (second arc being on PS1) so Super Nintendo wins. N64 close second for introducing us to Super Mario 64, one of the biggest leaps in game design ever.

VGEsoterica

Nah, Super Nintendo was host to the first arc of Squaresoft's golden age (second arc being on PS1) so Super Nintendo wins. N64 close second for introducing us to Super Mario 64, one of the biggest leaps in game design ever.
In a way I’d say the SNES has held up better than the 64. The 64 really needs a CRT to hold up visually...which is a big ask for a lot of people these days. Looks beautiful on a PVM though

TheMan

In a way I’d say the SNES has held up better than the 64. The 64 really needs a CRT to hold up visually...which is a big ask for a lot of people these days. Looks beautiful on a PVM though
Oh it definitely has. 2D gaming has a timeless quality to it while early 3D games are largely ass

kevm3

Wii U was a great console. How many switch games got ported over from it? Donkey Kong, Mario 3d World, Zelda: Breath of the wild? New Super Mario Brothers. With the virtual console, you could actually OWN old school classics. The handheld was also more comfortable to hold than the switch.

SpiceRacz

I'd say NES as well as Gamecube and Wii are ahead of the N64. I think the library is top heavy and several of the better games on the system have aged very poorly. Part of that is due to being 1st gen 3D hardware for Nintendo and part of that is poor support.

Komatsu

Terrible console, shite controller, cumbersome but quirky UI.

But the games? Goddamn! The crême de la crême:

Mario Kart 8
Pikmin 3
Breath of the Wild
Super Mario 3D World
Mario Maker
Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze
Captain Todd
Splatoon

Impressive stuff on a dumb idea for a console.

I'd add Xenoblade Chronicles X to that list. Incredible game.

Griffon

I owned the Wii U, and the hardware was a huge POS. The gamepad felt like a cheap toy from 10 years prior its release. It was awful. The games were good but ran like shit at low resolutions.

VGEsoterica

Hell no. At first looked kinda nice, but came too late for the party and Nintendo didn't do their homework about their projects

Also, marketing was rock bottom for Nintendo. They messed really bad

The good thing is that they learn from this trainwreck and did the right thing, the Switch, which is the perfect version of the Wii U
The marketing was confusing. If you weren’t a “gamer”....how did you understand what it even was? A new Wii? An upgraded Wii? A new controller for Wii?

yet here we are with an Xbox One S/X and Xbox Series X/S on sale...so clearly it’s still a thing lol

chinoXL

i hated the WiiU...its the only system that i lost interest in and had like 3-4 games for it.....pissed i bought it lol

GetemMa

It had a pretty solid 1st party catalog for a few years. Bayonetta 2, Mario Kart 8, Smash, DK Tropical Freeze, wind waker HD, BOTW, 3D World, Treasure Tracker, Pikmin 3, mario maker, xenoblade x.

That said, just about everything else about it was poorly executed or half an idea. The UI runs like absolute shit. In hindsight it just feels like a rough Switch prototype that taught the current nintendo leadership some valuable lessons. It's biggest impact was probably serving as a helpful wake up call for Big N. They're killing it with the Switch.

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
  • Useless trivia: The Shuttle XS35GS series is pratically the same form factor as a Wii U, but with Intel Atom D2550/D2700 processor.
  • Even more Useless trivia: These HTPC's feature a dedicated Radeon HD 7410M/7450M with 512 MB dedicated DDR3 memory, and 160 cores... exactly the same amount as Wii U's Latte GPU (The GAF thread to determine how much cores it had was hilarious.) but with DX11 support.
  • Its a unique console spec wise really.
  • There is still a game under development: Bizerta: Silent Evil, a Resident Evilish game with FPS segments.

Drew1440

I always saw it as a crippled console that had a lot of potential. They really should have used a more powerful CPU, rather than recycle the same PowerPc 750 core they used in the Gamecube, or what apple used in 1997. And should have used gDDR5 rather than DDR3 for its Ram and forget the eDRAM.
That said, I admired it more its controller and game library, but the systems OS was behind the times, no achievements, party chat and friend codes, and it took ages to load simple menus. There's a 7 year difference between it and the xbox 360 but the console silll felt it was from the sixth generation.

PooBone

When they have enough exclusives to warrant a purchase, I'll purchase one, and they'll hopefully have the rumored "pro" model by then. To me, currently, it's a little tablet with bad buttons, sticks, and a single exclusive (Mario Odyssey) that looks worth my time. Don't get salty that the Switch is inferior in every way for my wants and needs.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Improved the Wii and everyone judge it’s controller now it’s sequel basically rivals every modern console plus all the Zeldas are on it.

My favorite Nintendo system! I modded mine so it can play my favorite Wii U games, Wii games, Gamecube games, etc. There's so much MAGIC crammed into that system! The Gamepad, the insane backwards compatibility both software wise and hardware wise with previous gen controllers and such...I love it so much and it's features, asynchronous multiplayer, inventive single player games, and most of it's features and services like Miiverse and such! Gaaah I'm in the mood to celebrate and play it lol because of this thread! :D As a core gamer, I'll always love the Wii U, my friend was confused when I told him most people don't like the Wii U because in my various friend circles, the Wii U was such a hit with games like Nintendoland and such creating such an awesome video game atmosphere that it came as a shock when I told him people hated the Wii U lol, can you imagine that! :p But anyways, yea the Wii U is the first console I bought with my own money, and still is my favorite Nintendo system so far! The last home console to have that next-gen magic!

edit: Asides from the actual system and games, I also loved Nintendo under Iwata. That felt like the Real Nintendo to me, and the Directs were really charming and full of soul for example! I still miss and wish Iwata were still around

Last edited:
It really is. I wasn't expecting much with Ubisoft attached, and at the time, classic "Survival Horror" was definitely not a thing so I was expecting a shooter or something dumb. What I got was one of the best gameplay experiences of my life. For me, it felt like I was playing the OG Resident Evil in first person and I was just blown away at how much I enjoyed the game. Still do. I also own the PS4 version and it's good, but the Wii U version is the best way to play.

Here's something that I think people forget, Resident Evil 6 released on 10/02/2012. ZombiU released 6 weeks later on 11/18/2012. That's what the state of "Survival Horror" was in. ZombiU came out of nowhere and was really trying to do something specific and unique to that era in gaming. Such a shame that reviewers trashed it, a sequel with proper polish could have been GOTY material.
Thank you you GET IT about ZombiU! Still is one of the greatest survival horrors of all time! ^_^

Kokoloko85

I loved it.
Had some great games that are showing how good they are on the Switch. Mario Kart, Pikmin 3 etc.], Bayonetta 2, Donkey Kong etc

My favourte Nintendo consoles are, Snes, N64, Gamecube, Wii U... oh and Nes. I love them all tbh apart from Wii

Top Bottom