• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wii U - quite possibly Nintendo's best console even if it failed?

When they have enough exclusives to warrant a purchase, I'll purchase one, and they'll hopefully have the rumored "pro" model by then. To me, currently, it's a little tablet with bad buttons, sticks, and a single exclusive (Mario Odyssey) that looks worth my time. Don't get salty that the Switch is inferior in every way for my wants and needs.
Maybe Wii U wasn't a flop for you personally but that doesn't change the fact that Wii U was one of the biggest flops in Nintendo's history, looks like that fact made you salty.

PooBone

Maybe Wii U wasn't a flop for you personally but that doesn't change the fact that Wii U was one of the biggest flops in Nintendo's history, looks like that fact made you salty.
Of course it was a massive flop. Regardless, to circle around and reiterate your first misstatement - it's not a worthless system.

LordOfChaos

I bought a Wii U only and just only for this:

Even the game cube was a better console!

BoTW was unique in its painterly, anime inspired aesthetic and all, but it would sure be interesting to have another more realistic Zelda game looking like this.

Remember also when early rumors were about 4850 like performance, then the gradual realization that it was a 160 shader, 172Gflop part, somehow launching pretty much in 2013. By the end of its life we still never got visual output approaching this demo.

Last edited:

PooBone

Unfortunately it is true. I tried a few times to get into it and I just couldn't. I really enjoy zelda games but this one could just not click with me.
I can certainly see it. There's a lot less thrust for the player than most of the previous Zelda games. Sorry you couldn't find the enjoyment you expected.

PooBone

If you ask me, Odyssey isn't worth your time, but I seem to be an outlier in that regard here. Pretty disappointed in my Switch outside Sega AGES and Ring Fit. I sold off BotW, Odyssey, and Octopath even though I typically never sell anything.
Hm, that's no fun to hear. I definitely won't be buying a stock Switch for Odyssey, they have some work on software and hardware to do before I'm sold.

amekbvuiuv6.gif

sj1bFlO.gif

1010209.gif

svssor.gif

WhimsicalImpassionedDodo-size_restricted.gif

1371147795-changement-moto.gif

d85edx5-a22ea74d-8aaa-4b95-81f2-991e62852d91.gif

eQjnac.gif

13085.gif

d8gvqsa-a6b4a4ae-6711-4ac2-9692-4d7afae112fd.gif

elmagif.gif

Hudo

I shit you not, Xenoblade Chronicles X is probably the best open world rpg from a design point of view because it made exploration fun. And that shit begins with not taking fall damage, with not wasting time when picking up stuff (you can just walk over it like you could in old FPS games like Doom) and that you get a cool mecha (Skell) with which you can fly, etc.

People threw a lot of shit at Xenoblade Chronicles X but it's probably the best game Monolith Soft have made.

fart town usa

Gold Member
Lots of things were considered flops, has nothing to do with the overall quality of a product. If your standard for quality is based on monetary success, I'd hate to see what your media collection looks like. Reading your sentence, the first thing that comes to mind is John Carpenter. Most of his movies were commercial failures but the guy is one of the greatest directors of all time and pretty much his entire filmography are now considered classics.

Financial success isn't everything bruh.

Lots of things were considered flops, has nothing to do with the overall quality of a product. If your standard for quality is based on monetary success, I'd hate to see what your media collection looks like. Reading your sentence, the first thing that comes to mind is John Carpenter. Most of his movies were commercial failures but the guy is one of the greatest directors of all time and pretty much his entire filmography are now considered classics.

Financial success isn't everything bruh.
True, true. I wasn't nuanced.

I have a Wii U myself but I don't think it's undeserved Wii U failed or has such a great, undervalued library. It's not in the same camp as other commercial flops like N64, Gamecube or Dreamcast that really had good and big exclusive libraries;

SegaShack

Great Library and I'm glad I never got rid of mine. Star Fox was so disapointing though. Last time I'll ever preorder a Nintendo game.

Lots of good memories playing local co op with friends when they'd visit my place.

VGEsoterica

I shit you not, Xenoblade Chronicles X is probably the best open world rpg from a design point of view because it made exploration fun. And that shit begins with not taking fall damage, with not wasting time when picking up stuff (you can just walk over it like you could in old FPS games like Doom) and that you get a cool mecha (Skell) with which you can fly, etc.

People threw a lot of shit at Xenoblade Chronicles X but it's probably the best game Monolith Soft have made.
Plus the special edition packaging was probably the best physical release the Wi U ever got

kevm3

Breath of the wild, mario kart 8, donkey kong tropical freeze and now even mario 3d world, captain toad, new super mario brothers, pikmin 3 are some of the wii u ports. Switch might be considered as having a games drought if not for those Wii U ports.Seems like Nintendo's output was actually better during the Wii U days.

ExpandKong

Banned
It was a neat system. Very Nintendo, for better or for worse. Guess "worse" in this case.

It's a wonderful little emulation machine now, at least.

fart town usa

Gold Member

I recently got into XBX, just last month and it's so great! I probably have 25 hours put in, just slowly chipping away at it. It really is an absolute gem of a game and gives me PSO vibes from the Dreamcast. I find it pretty crazy that some people blast it for having a weak story. Honestly, whenever I read those comments I can't help but notice some underlying butt hurt from Xenoblade fanboys because it's a Wii U exclusive. Why can't we just enjoy things for what they are??

For me personally, I view XBX like Starship Troopers and it gives it a real camp vibe. The premise is that humanity crash landed on a planet and started mining it and killing the local wildlife. Hard to take that narrative serious. Total B-Movie schlock to me with great gameplay and a really unique vibe for a console. Like MMO/JRPG.

Last edited:

fart town usa

Gold Member
Breath of the wild, mario kart 8, donkey kong tropical freeze and now even mario 3d world, captain toad, new super mario brothers, pikmin 3 are some of the wii u ports. Switch might be considered as having a games drought if not for those Wii U ports.Seems like Nintendo's output was actually better during the Wii U days.
I'm curious how Mario 3D World will feel on the Switch because I read that it's going to be full 3D controls. 3D World on the Wii U is locked to 8 directions I think. On paper 8 directions seems dumb but it's amazing in that game, controls are so snappy. I picture some of the really crazy ledges you have to fun on and I see it being a nightmare with full 3D movement.

Awesome game though that everyone should try out at least once, especially if you can play with multiple people. It's my favorite Mario game after Mario World on the SNES and Mario 3. 3D world is like a combination of those two games but with Mario 64 abilities.

Hudo

I recently got into XBX, just last month and it's so great! I probably have 25 hours put in, just slowly chipping away at it. It really is an absolute gem of a game and gives me PSO vibes from the Dreamcast. I find it pretty crazy that some people blast it for having a weak story. Honestly, whenever I read those comments I can't help but notice some underlying butt hurt from Xenoblade fanboys because it's a Wii U exclusive. Why can't we just enjoy things for what they are??

For me personally, I view XBX like Starship Troopers and it gives it a real camp vibe. The premise is that humanity crash landed on a planet and started mining it and killing the local wildlife. Hard to take that narrative serious. Total B-Movie schlock to me with great gameplay and a really unique vibe for a console. Like MMO/JRPG.
You know, when you mentioned PSO, I had a "woah"-moment. You are absolutely right with that. XBX does have PSO vibes and I never really connected the two. Holy crap.

Yeah, the main story was a bit on the weaker side but that's because the side stories were the main thing (which further proves my point that XBX is focused on exploration). In fact, it has the best side quests out of all Monolith Soft's games. But the main story was good enough because, as you already pointed out, it's more a "oh shit, we're fucked. We need to survive somehow".

LordOfChaos

I need to get into this on my dwindling roster of Wii U games I haven't played while I don't have a PS5. It's kind of hard to get into, spreads pretty wildly at the start. I didn't love the combat so far but maybe I'm new and bad at it.

Absolutely, that exchange at the end was funnier than I expected.

As an aside, that map view looks great. Not enough to make me like the game, but would've been a nice QoL improvement!

I really hate that they took it out for the Wii U, 100 hours in and between all the submenus on the + and - buttons, I still fumble with where things are.

Last edited:

fart town usa

Gold Member
I need to get into this on my dwindling roster of Wii U games I haven't played while I don't have a PS5. It's kind of hard to get into, spreads pretty wildly at the start. I didn't love the combat so far but maybe I'm new and bad at it.
There are a lot of things to upgrade and the game doesn't exactly clue you into it like other games do. My advice is to just explore the menus in armory alley, and there's a girl who stands by the large display screen across from the blade barracks, she is the one you need to talk to whenever you're able to increase your blade rank (mechanical, biological, etc). Once I realized all the things I could upgrade and started doing it, the game became much more user friendly in terms of combat. I'm level 19 and can take down multiple enemies at once who are level 23. It definitely is a weird system but it isn't that bad once you become familiar with the menus and whatnot.

You can also get 'spoils' if you're playing online (currency, healing items, TP boost, skell fuel, etc), those are found in the back room of the barracks that always has people hanging out. Just gotta navigate the kiosk options. There's also healing items you can use in battle, you have to press the + button and then ZR/ZL to get over to the item menu. Also, you can't revive a character unless your TP is maxed. Some arts use TP but if you don't use those arts and your TP is maxed, if a character falls in battle, just run over to them and it'll let you revive them.

Confused yet!? lol

VGEsoterica

I'm curious how Mario 3D World will feel on the Switch because I read that it's going to be full 3D controls. 3D World on the Wii U is locked to 8 directions I think. On paper 8 directions seems dumb but it's amazing in that game, controls are so snappy. I picture some of the really crazy ledges you have to fun on and I see it being a nightmare with full 3D movement.

Awesome game though that everyone should try out at least once, especially if you can play with multiple people. It's my favorite Mario game after Mario World on the SNES and Mario 3. 3D world is like a combination of those two games but with Mario 64 abilities.
I’m mostly curious what’s going on with the Bowser’s Fury expansion? Nintendo has been pretty quiet on that but I’m hoping it’s a large expansion.

bender

What time is it?
Probably my least favorite Nintendo platform and with most of the games being ported to Switch, it continues to grow even more irrelevant.

Calverz

I think it was horrible. Really underpowered for its time, expensive, disappointing game library and with an extremely bad, suuuuper slow and unresponsive dated UI.

Easily one of my least favorite Nintendo consoles. Compared to the NES, the SNES and the GameCube I think it's a joke. You'll probably find lots of love for it here on neogaf though 😃
nicolas cage laughing GIF

Fitzchiv

I got one during lockdown and home-brewed the shit out of it, so I can now play every single Nintendo game I own on a single console - it's a great machine and long term I reckon it'll be looked on fondly

fart town usa

Gold Member
I’m mostly curious what’s going on with the Bowser’s Fury expansion? Nintendo has been pretty quiet on that but I’m hoping it’s a large expansion.
Same here. I'll probably double dip and get it for my wife's switch at some point. I think they increased the movement speed by 30%, I remember reading that somewhere. That could be a lot of fun.

VGEsoterica

I got one during lockdown and home-brewed the shit out of it, so I can now play every single Nintendo game I own on a single console - it's a great machine and long term I reckon it'll be looked on fondly
Yeah with home brew it’s a single machine that will play every Nintendo game from the Wii U to the NES

It’s hard to really call the 64 a failure. Granted it sold less then the SNES but compared to GameCube and Wii U it did much better
No, N64 was a very clear (commercial) failure.

PS1, the new kid on the block sold 100 million consoles, N64 only 33 million. It was a humiliation for Nintendo.

Last edited:
It really is. I wasn't expecting much with Ubisoft attached, and at the time, classic "Survival Horror" was definitely not a thing so I was expecting a shooter or something dumb. What I got was one of the best gameplay experiences of my life. For me, it felt like I was playing the OG Resident Evil in first person and I was just blown away at how much I enjoyed the game. Still do. I also own the PS4 version and it's good, but the Wii U version is the best way to play.

Here's something that I think people forget, Resident Evil 6 released on 10/02/2012. ZombiU released 6 weeks later on 11/18/2012. That's what the state of "Survival Horror" was in. ZombiU came out of nowhere and was really trying to do something specific and unique to that era in gaming. Such a shame that reviewers trashed it, a sequel with proper polish could have been GOTY material.

The gaming media has a tendency to do that. Any time something remotely unique has come up, at least in the recent decade, that challenged or tried to do something different/new gameplay-wise, it received bottom-of-the-barrel scores for head scratching reasons. Anything that requires a bit getting used to is too much of a hassle for them, apparently.

Might as well give it a shot now since a sizable portion of the gaming community have been echoing your sentiment.

Coolwhhip

Neophyte
Best Nintendo consoles are SNES, N64 and gamecube. Wii U and Switch are the worst Nintendo consoles.

I am talking about the hardware on its own, without the games.

The only real shit console by Nintendo was Wii U, it didn't make any sense. All the others had a purpose.

Top Bottom