• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wii U Speculation Thread V: The Final Frontier

Status
Not open for further replies.

Izick

With more and more games falling back into Q1 2013, I think this holiday is Nintendo's for the taking. Personally, I don't think it's a coincidence that they're delaying their game releases.. Nintendo's launch is going to suck a huge portion of the mindshare/oxygen out of the room. I wouldn't want to go up against that kind of juggernaut either.

This is Nintendo's shot. Launch strong, maintain momentum, and build a lead before the others get their chance. Otherwise, we're looking at a greater likelihood of GameCube 2.0 (which wouldn't be all that bad if the library is just as strong).

Totally agree, and yeah, I know people hate on it, but I absolutely loved the Gamecube. So many great games on there. My favorite Zelda game in Windwaker (although Skyward Sword sits right before me unplayed), my favorite Smash Bros. , a good MGS game (I thought Twin Snakes was a fun game, even though the dialogue wasn't quite right), good Mario and other Nintendo games, not to mention a lot of awesome third party games. Thought it was a great system.

BD1

Banned
With more and more games falling back into Q1 2013, I think this holiday is Nintendo's for the taking. Personally, I don't think it's a coincidence that they're delaying their game releases.. Nintendo's launch is going to suck a huge portion of the mindshare/oxygen out of the room. I wouldn't want to go up against that kind of juggernaut either.

This is Nintendo's shot. Launch strong, maintain momentum, and build a lead before the others get their chance. Otherwise, we're looking at a greater likelihood of GameCube 2.0 (which wouldn't be all that bad if the library is just as strong).

After AC3 and RE6 in October and BLOPS 2 in November, a Super Mario game could do monster numbers in December. The whacky Q4 release schedule is really breaking Nintendo's way. If they've got Mario and a Wii U price in the sweet spot, they can take advantage of a wide open Q4 and then ride the momentum into Q1 on multiplatform releases. (Assuming some of these game are coming to Wii U).

HylianTom

Banned
Totally agree, and yeah, I know people hate on it, but I absolutely loved the Gamecube. So many great games on there. My favorite Zelda game in Windwaker (although Skyward Sword sits right before me unplayed), my favorite Smash Bros. , a good MGS game (I thought Twin Snakes was a fun game, even though the dialogue wasn't quite right), good Mario and other Nintendo games, not to mention a lot of awesome third party games. Thought it was a great system.

The Wii wins my contest just because it can play most of my favorite titles going back to the beginning, including the GameCube era. But not counting BC features, I'd have to go with the GameCube as well. Wind Waker remains my favorite Zelda title ever; it's going to be a tough one to beat, as I loved the art style and the really, really open world map.

BurntPork

Banned
Someone can explain to me the difference OoE CPU et In-order CPU, in terms of performance or other things like that.

Funny thing about it is, it's exactly what it sounds like. An in-order CPU has to execute instructions in the order that it gets them, while an OoO CPU can execute instructions in whatever order is most efficient.

Well, that's basically it anyway. It results in less wasted cycles and makes work get done faster.

Someone can explain to me the difference OoE CPU et In-order CPU, in terms of performance or other things like that.

OoO= You can draw data from anywhere at any time. More efficient.

In Order= You have to get it in a sequence. Less efficient.

There's more technical ways of explaining it, but that's the jist.

After AC3 and RE6 in October and BLOPS 2 in November, a Super Mario game could do monster numbers in December. The whacky Q4 release schedule is really breaking Nintendo's way. If they've got Mario and a Wii U price in the sweet spot, they can take advantage of a wide open Q4 and then ride the momentum into Q1 on multiplatform releases. (Assuming some of these game are coming to Wii U).

We know that AC3 and BLOPS 2 are. RE6 is up in the air, though it's likely coming.

Discomurf

Back from work, what did I miss?

tumbleweed-2small.gif

edit: oh and Just Dance was confirmed.

Portugeezer

I don't know when you were last here. :p

#10841: Analyst believes ubisoft will have F2P Wiiu titles this year:

#10961: [Ubisoft] will have five casual titles and two core titles.

#11097: via linkedin, employee resumés mentioning Wii U projects

#11164: Rumour that Nintendo is using a well-known hip hop honky to promote a project entitled "Acid Ghost"

#11347: "EA think the Wii U is “absolutely” next gen"

#11548: Amazon lists Wii U games for $49.99

#11647: Just Dance confirmed for Wii U

#11649: More detailed "Acid Ghost" rumours

Hmm... thanks. E3 needs to get here quick.

Izick

The Wii wins my contest just because it can play most of my favorite titles going back to the beginning, including the GameCube era. But not counting BC features, I'd have to go with the GameCube as well. Wind Waker remains my favorite Zelda title ever; it's going to be a tough one to beat, as I loved the art style and the really, really open world map.

Yeah, I keep hearing that SS is amazing, but WW is like just a masterpiece of gaming in my eyes, I mean graphically, gameplay-wise, story, it was all just amazing, and if someone asked me to tell them some of the best parts of gaming, I'd point to WW as one of those examples.

HylianTom

Banned

I kinda wish/hope that Nintendo decides that October might be a good idea (I would've said September, but I swear I've read that they have narrowed-down the launch window to the last quarter of the year).

But launching in October would give them enough time to sell through more shipments before the holidays are over. They'd get a bigger jump on their competitors, and third-party titles would have a better chance of not getting lost in the chaos during that time frame. We can finish our Mario and Pikmin gaming in the first month or so, and then move on to some third-party goodness.

(That, and it's part wishful thinking: I'd really like to cut the wait by another month. Waiting for E3 has nearly driven me mad - and in 20 days, we hit the reset button on the countdown clock! Booo!)

Oddduck

Is this old?

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articl...i-u-as-lackluster-and-e3-as-possibly-outdated

Peter Molyneux says:

Sony and Msft are holding their breath on next gen interesting to see how they pad out another year. Price cuts, form factors?

Nintendo's slightly lack lustre Wii U is going to have to blow us away with better specs and great 1st party line up.

The real challenge is how the players are going to adapt to the mounting pressure of Facebook, Apple, Social, Cloud, Multi-Gaming.

Is the biggest news that E3 itself runs the risk of being outdated, or perhaps it already is?

I guess I am excited about GTA V, but only in a mildly curious way.

I am excited, as always, to hear from Valve.

I would expect some announcement from Bungie.

God only knows what COD will have to destroy in the Press briefing demo, after last year's destruction of NY.

Oh, GameplayWhore, you missed this one.

Me,...nope nothing...its only that I expect some good news.
out of my work I have some good contacts to "their" marketing...and there I heard someone talking about some good news inbetween the next seven days or so!!
Wat exactly I dont know?!
But I expect something good about WiiU

Edit:
Have to leave work now!! See ya all on monday!!

Dunno how much you can put into it, but hey. Just more to look forward to!

HylianTom

Banned
Yeah, I keep hearing that SS is amazing, but WW is like just a masterpiece of gaming in my eyes, I mean graphically, gameplay-wise, story, it was all just amazing, and if someone asked me to tell them some of the best parts of gaming, I'd point to WW as one of those examples.

I'd put SS as my #3 favorite, behind WW and OoT. It's quite good. I love the new item upgrade system, the story is good, the fighting and controls work well, etc.. but it fell in ranking due to the overworld structure. I really, really miss having a very open world, like Wind Waker and Zelda 1, where more of the map is available early on in the game. TP and SS both felt too constrained, like Habitrail hamster cages.

I'm really simplifying this (also there is no coffee, and although I got an A in this class, I forget everything about every class as soon as I walk out of the Final, so I'm probably accidentally describing SMT or something instead; deal with it), but it's the basic gist:

Lets say you feed the cpu the following math:
B=sqrt(A)
C=B+1
E=1
F=2
G=3
H=4

Sqrt takes a long time. In an in-order processor, the steps would look like this:
…B=sqrt(A)
…wait (because C=B+1 depends on the answer of B=sqrt(A), which takes a long time to compute)
…wait
…wait
…wait
…C=B+1
…E=1
…F=2
…G=3
…H=4

With out of order processing, it would look like this:
…B=sqrt(A)
…E=1
…F=2
…G=3
…H=4
…C=B+1

So the out of order processor took fewer cycles to do the same thing, because it can start a new operation if it isn't dependent on operations that precede it.

Izick

I'd put SS as my #3 favorite, behind WW and OoT. It's quite good. I love the new item upgrade system, the story is good, the fighting and controls work well, etc.. but it fell in ranking due to the overworld structure. I really, really miss having a very open world, like Wind Waker and Zelda 1, where more of the map is available early on in the game. TP and SS both felt too constrained, like Habitrail hamster cages.

Hm, I'm still interested to play it. I'm hoping that it catches some of that magic and charm of the past games. It's crazy to think I haven't really played a Zelda game since...2003, I guess? Windwaker was my last one, so yeah, almost 10 years. Crazy. I planned on picking up TP for my Gamecube when it initially came out, but it just never happened.

BD1

Banned
We know that AC3 and BLOPS 2 are. RE6 is up in the air, though it's likely coming.

Yep, I know :)

What I was getting at was that if some of the now-delayed Q1 multiplat games end up with Wii U versions, Nintendo could potentially ride the momentum of a strong first party Q4 and have real third party success with those delayed games.

Oh, GameplayWhore, you missed this one.

Dunno how much you can put into it, but hey. Just more to look forward to!

Hah! I try not to include "there will be news soon" posts in my news list. Otherwise, you-know-who would totally dominate my entries. ;)

he actually does have the lion's share of my entries, but that's because he posts not only his own tidbits but also pertinent news found on the Internet

You are completely ignoring the propose of my replies, I am not saying that Sata and USB 3.0 aren't faster, my point is that USB 2.0 is adequate... and you are wrong, I didn't cherry pick that, the 4th page still shows the 16GB drive on USB 2.0 to be faster loading the orange box levels too... what you said was just wrong.
You won`t fool me sorry. You are trying to spin your way out of this one when making a factually wrong asumption. Saying that the USB 2.0 60 MB sec transfer is close to the maximun throughput of an HD drive, you do remember, right? . Here it is:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=37930643&postcount=11595

I don't either... since it would still be pretty fast, like I said you and I don't know the storage solution, but even if it is just USB 2.0... that can still do a lot for them, and really having 2x to 4x the memory of the 360 will improve those things anyways (since resolutions will likely stay @ 1080P max until 2018-2020

BTW USB 2.0 is a 60MB/s bus... which is not much different from a standard Hard Disk Drive.
Then tried to justify yourself by miss using the Eurogamer article to declare this:
Second, we are comparing 360's storage options to USB 2.0, so lets just look at a benchmark... http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/xb...article?page=3 in the last graph there, we can see that stage loading from USB 2.0 is actually faster than installs on the hard drive, this is in part thanks to flash, but proves that bandwidth isn't the only factor... hard drives are just sort of FAR behind in tech.

Which is BS because in one case Halo 3 has a bug and in the others the transfers speeds are being limited by the optical drive.

Now, i can tolerate dissagreement in an hypothetical debate or what if scenarios like the multi touch vs single touch. But trying to spin facts is just wrong. Page 4 of the article has the USB connected HD a bit slower which is more logical yet you ignored that and used page 3 which represents the other case. And like i said its not a very representative test because the way MS is handling the interface and internal bandwidtth in the console. And because we werent talking about 360 transfer speeds at all but how they handled the storage options.
And the point about Sony catching up to Microsoft was that if they could do it, there is no reason Nintendo cannot. It's not unrealistic to expect since Sony and Microsoft are offering standard stuff: Voice chat, friends lists, accounts and game matching. 3DS already does most of this, we will see how Wii U improves upon it, but they will improve and with that tablet controller they can even surpass Live fairly easily with stuff like Social networking and web access being there while in game.
Be happy that Nintendo is improving their online offerings. But don`t expect a miracle turn around and Nintendo to surpass them in this cycle. This is pretty safe thinking.

AzaK

Rösti;37936596 said:
Don't know if he has an SDK, don't know if he has developed anything for the format, don't know if he knows anything about Wii U's hardware, but this is what Peter Molyneux had to say:

Better specs in relation to what, to Xbox 360, or better specs as in relation to where the Wii U was at by E3 2011?

I read that to mean in relation to last year's showing.

BurntPork

Banned

Ace, get over it. RE6 isn't coming to Wii U this year. There's nothing "up in the air" about it unless you're in denial. At best, it gets a gold edition or something in a year, but that's the best we can hope for.

BlackJace

Ace, get over it. RE6 isn't coming to Wii U this year. There's nothing "up in the air" about it unless you're in denial. At best, it gets a gold edition or something in a year, but that's the best we can hope for.

How can you be so sure? No plans right now could mean anything. "The NDAs are tight as fuck, so lets not talk about it right now"

Nibel

It will come - the question is when.

Capcom will port the newest main entry of their most profitable franchise on almost everything if possible.

Conor 419

Banned
Oh man, if I don't make E3. Tell my future wife and kids I love them.

I think Resi 6 has a good shot, but clearly not this year. A bit surprising though considering the NxC relationship.

Linkhero1

Maybe not this year, but there is a chance for a "Gold" edition coming out to the Wii U. I still won't buy a Capcom game, so I'll have to skip it regardless.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom