• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wii U Speculation Thread V: The Final Frontier

Status
Not open for further replies.

teeny

This 100X ,,,,,clickable sticks are awful, unnatural and the worst thing that Micro brought to the industry (if they did cuz If Im not mistaken it started with the 360) ,,,,

personally, I dont nintendo can do anything to "improve" whats already broken,,

but thats just my opinion though

I suppose they might feel a bit better for you heathens, as the slide pads are flatter and button shaped.

The only problem with clicky sticks for me is that they feel a bit weird when you are pushing it forward, as the angle is all wrong for the action of clicking. But if it is flat, it should work a lot better.

Nilaul

Mostly for FPS games. Sprinting, reloading, yadda yadda.

Yes those quick time scenes (where you have to press) would actually become hard. Press a, press b, press c, press trigger, press touchscreen but not to hard. You pressed it too hard.. you failed.

xD

klier

Wow, thread V.

The good hint is, though, only one month left. This thread has potential to become the most insane one yet, with all these possible leaks lurking.
But it has potential to die soon too, when a new thread with major info emerges......we'll see.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
John Harker, it has analogue triggers, doesn't it? Spill the damn beans already.
ps-i-love-youtme0s.jpg

Clickable thumpads (how will that work, ideas?)

While were at this.. everything should be clickable... including the touchscreen (that should be pressure senisitive).

Aren't resistive screens normally pressure-sensitive?

Or do you just mean that the entire screen depresses or even "tilts" like a Balance Board (albeit very subtly)?

I dunno if you could call it nominal. We've actually learned a lot about the hardware and even some software.

Yeah but when was the last real time we saw anything? Last e3 + drib and drabs of info. The seperate threads re: pikmin3 was more significant to me (and that specs one). Can't believe e3 is 31 days away

Yeah but when was the last real time we saw anything? Last e3 + drib and drabs of info. The seperate threads re: pikmin3 was more significant to me (and that specs one). Can't believe e3 is 31 days away
We just got a trailer for an unnanounced Wii U game (Rayman) and as of 30 some posts ago learned the sticks are clickable.

I suspect HylianTom to had written the latest (today) addition, only him use Juicy !!!!!

HAH! Those weren't there when I posted the link to it earlier today (wait, wasn't that less than an hour ago?). Is the French ovbviously Google-translated or did he do a good job?

I suppose they might feel a bit better for you heathens, as the slide pads are flatter and button shaped.

The only problem with clicky sticks for me is that they feel a bit weird when you are pushing it forward, as the angle is all wrong for the action of clicking. But if it is flat, it should work a lot better.

That's… a really good point. It does seem that it would feel a little better if flat. I still suspect that I'd accidentally click on it all the time, though.

HylianTom

Banned
We just got a trailer for an unnanounced Wii U game (Rayman) and as of 30 some posts ago learned the sticks are clickable.
The last truly solid game news we got was probably, what, Assassin's Creed 3? Most everything else has been rumor, speculation, innuendo, etc.

the 360 controller stick is concave shaped and was supposed to "help" clicking,,,,,the reason I hate them is what u just stated right now :)

This 100X ,,,,,clickable sticks are awful, unnatural and the worst thing that Micro brought to the industry (if they did cuz If Im not mistaken it started with the 360) ,,,,

personally, I dont nintendo can do anything to "improve" whats already broken,,

but thats just my opinion though
It started with the ps2 dualshock.

and Harker tell us the rest damnit! lol.. unless youll get in trouble, stay easy.

Clickable thumpads (how will that work, ideas?)

While were at this.. everything should be clickable... including the touchscreen (that should be pressure senisitive).

A slidepad uses the same mechanic as an analog stick, but instead of angular input you slide the two axis directly. The click is applied by pressing down the whole mechanism. Now analog sticks hav a structural weakpoint which makes them lose precision and increases the dead zone. This is mad worse by the pressure applied while the stick is held at an angle.
Slidepads will still have a dramatically decreased lifetime with the click functionality, but they should hold a bit longer since they use linear input as opposed to angular.

In the end I still see it as a worthless feature that cheapens the build quality and shortens the optimal performance span of the pad.

And I doubt that extra WiiU Pads will be sold for under 100 Bucks.

The last truly solid game news we got was probably, what, Assassin's Creed 3? Most everything else has been rumor, speculation, innuendo, etc.

Does the BLOps 2 "Oh, noes, I couldn't possibly confirm that <wink> <wink>" interview count?
edit: #18537 last thread

Oh, and it's not game news, but the Google stuff might count as solid software news. It seems Harker-level in its potential veracity.

same, now all I have to rag on nintendo is about their shitty 3rd party relations!

...for now.

Pyro is clickable sticks REALLY that important ?? ,,,I really dont think developers would ditch bringing a whole game just cuz it doesnt have clickable sticks,,,,,

I'm against them and consider this "news/rumor/lie?" a bad move.

Pyro is clickable sticks REALLY that important ?? ,,,I really dont think developers would ditch bringing a whole game just cuz it doesnt have clickable sticks,,,,,

I'm against them and consider this "news/rumor/lie?" a bad move.
I refuse to have the argument again, but yes, not everyone thinks the alternatives are good, especially for more competitive fast paced games like battlefield/cod/whatever. And I know they wouldn't ditch it, they would put some shittier alternative that a lot of people (like me) don't like. I don't want to use the touch screen to run or melee someone, I don't want to flick my wrist, I don't want to take my thumb off the sticks to do these actions that I need to perform as fast as possible.

They add a lot more than they take away (read: nothing).

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
A slidepad uses the same mechanic as an analog stick, but instead of angular input you slide the two axis directly. The click is applied by pressing down the whole mechanism. Now analog sticks hav a structural weakpoint which makes them lose precision and increases the dead zone. This is mad worse by the pressure applied while the stick is held at an angle.
Slidepads will still have a dramatically decreased lifetime with the click functionality, but they should hold a bit longer since they use linear input as opposed to angular.

In the end I still see it as a worthless feature that cheapens the build quality and shortens the optimal performance span of the pad.

And I doubt that extra WiiU Pads will be sold for under 100 Bucks.
Yep. This is why I'm not keen on the addition of clickable pads.
On the other hand, my frothing demand for analogue triggers only increases.

The click... is pressure sensitive.

Now that would be something.

Ah, wait, so it'd be the opposite of the gamecube triggers? Instead of analog-then-digital, they're they could be digital-then-analog? That seems like it might be interesting.

edit: clarified that this is speculative

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!
More tidbit to speculate on in regard to Wii U, from the Edge Miyamoto interview. It's about the stereoscopic tech of the 3DS, and how they progressively slide from "DA important matter for our new handled" to "it's just one of feature, we can develop titles without taking advantage of it".

"I think when we started off, we were focusing a lot on the 3D stereoscopic display, on using that effect. And I think [for that] both users who [were] playing the software and us creating the software, [it] was a very central point.

"Looking back one year, now we've realised that 3D vision is something more commonplace, not extraordinary; we've come to a more natural, easier approach to 3D vision."

"We've transitioned to use it when it's appropriate and maybe not use it when it's not necessary," Miyamoto revealed. "In that respect, we've come to a move natural way of dealing with 3D."

Let's hope they won't ditch the asymmetrical setup of the Wii U and have a minimal or even inexistent use of the padlet screen for some of their games, it would be a waste.

Nilaul

Hm, what would it be useful for?

Different speeds of sprinting?

Zoom would be controlled by hard you press it, so for example an experienced user using a sniper during an fps would know how hard he has to press it for the level of zoom needed, in that situation.

volpone

Banned
It blows my mind that some people are not happy about clickable sticks. Did these people not own 360s/PS3s?

The shooter audience is essential if Nintendo wants an install base with high attachment rates.

wsippel

Banned
Hm, what would it be useful for?

Different speeds of sprinting?
Pressure sensitive slide pads would be true 3D input - or at least 2.5D, as there's no real -Z. Could be interesting in games with 3D movement like Endless Ocean. It's also something that simply wouldn't work with sticks, as the angle would fuck everything up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom