• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wii U Speculation Thread V: The Final Frontier

Status
Not open for further replies.

MisterHero

From the patent. Get on it, techies.

wiiupatent.jpg
There is a stunning lack of Futurama GIFs on the internet where Bender uses the zooming feature of his eyes.

Thraktor

wiiupatent.jpg

Most of it's the same as previous patents/deductions, but it is interesting that there are both VRAM and "Internal Main Memory" on the GPU's MCM, and then "External Main Memory" as well. Off the top of my head, I can think of two possible explanations for this:

1) The "Internal Main Memory" is the eDRAM, and the "VRAM" is just a separate 3MB of VRAM to provide Wii BC. The "External Main Memory" is the main RAM.

2) The "VRAM" is the eDRAM. There's a split pool of RAM, with perhaps 1GB of GDDR5 with a wide bus on the MCM with the GPU ("Internal Main Memory") and another 1GB of slower DDR3 on the motherboard ("external main memory").

StevieP

Banned
I have a question about the NFC in Wii U.

Is it two-way? Can the controller send info to other devices and objects that are compatible?

It won't be 2-way. NFC writers are far more expensive than NFC readers. I have experience in this manner.

Already fifth eh?

When was the first one made anyway?

15 minutes ago.

Nintendo you better put a wiimote plus in there....i will refuse to play fps with dual analog....:(

This.

This 100X ,,,,,clickable sticks are awful, unnatural and the worst thing that Micro brought to the industry (if they did cuz If Im not mistaken it started with the 360) ,,,,

personally, I dont nintendo can do anything to "improve" whats already broken,,

but thats just my opinion though

This.

A slidepad uses the same mechanic as an analog stick, but instead of angular input you slide the two axis directly. The click is applied by pressing down the whole mechanism. Now analog sticks hav a structural weakpoint which makes them lose precision and increases the dead zone. This is mad worse by the pressure applied while the stick is held at an angle.
Slidepads will still have a dramatically decreased lifetime with the click functionality, but they should hold a bit longer since they use linear input as opposed to angular.

In the end I still see it as a worthless feature that cheapens the build quality and shortens the optimal performance span of the pad.

And I doubt that extra WiiU Pads will be sold for under 100 Bucks.

Also this.

It blows my mind that some people are not happy about clickable sticks. Did these people not own 360s/PS3s?

The shooter audience is essential if Nintendo wants an install base with high attachment rates.

If the shooter audience had a brain, they'd demand a pointer of some kind instead of sticks :p

This brings me to my next question: why not just put in analog sticks? I cry myself to sleep every night knowing they had it PERFECT with that prototype Wii U controller.

People have covered this before: the ergonomics of the current pad don't line up with analog sticks. Unless you like carpal-tunnel?

wiiupatent.jpg

Let me take my shot at guessing:

Well, it's a split memory pool. If sizes mean anything in that diagram, there is a bigger slower pool for the CPU, and 2 smaller pools directly on the MCM. Likely that this is the faster memory (and again, if size matters there is less of it) and/or being mislabeled EDram, and the external memory will probably be regular DDR3.

Also, if size matters... LOL at GPU :(

Also of note, the ROM suggests that more of the flash memory (8gb?) will be open to end users. The Wii-U pads have a separate Ni-Fi chip and are not solely using bluetooth (aka "terminal connector") - which is good. Bodes well for more pads if Ni-Fi can support it.

The design of the CPU/external/internal memory/gpu harken back to GC/Wii, so I would bet that backwards compatibility was certainly in their heads. This likely means that whatever CPU/GPU is in there will have some lineage that will allow for 100% hardware BC.

tkscz

wiiupatent.jpg

If this is real, than appearantly, the WiiU has two pools of RAM, one for the GPU and two things of main RAM (internal and external). A separeate I/O Processor, and a DSP.

Seems to be based around leaving as much CPU power open as possible.

1)  Price? 299€

2)  Release date? November

3)  Bullshit xbox360-based Multiplier Equivalent? 2x

4)  Nintendo conference surprise(s)? Two new heavily marketed franchises from Retro Studios and Miyamoto, alongside at least 5 other 1st party titles

5)  Predict Miyamoto's role/costume/appearance context in this year's show. Suit

6)  Any special MS or Sony predictions? Their next gen teasers

7)  You know we're going to hear some, umm, interesting excuses from third parties.  So.. what'll be your favorite? They should have made a classical controller

8)  Any special E3 plans/arrangements of your own?  Taking off from work?  Skipping a final exam? Skipping lecture

9)  Your favorite bullshit gaming media critique of Nintendo's performance at E3 this year? They still rehash the same old, not true next gen

10)  Your own predicted complaint/peeve/angering issue regarding Nintendo's E3 performance this year? Reggie not bashing MS/Sony enough

ahhh for some reason i remember the Wii releasing on like thursday or friday

"The Sunday Before Black Friday" is when three out of the last four Nintendo generations started in the US (GCN, NDS Wii). The fourth started… badly, giving Nintendo impetus to go back to the tried and true method.

then again, GCN didn't exactly light up the charts, did it?

test_account

XP-39C²
Might be slightly less "awkward" feeling since it would be a more shallow button press.
I dont think that it would feel much different because you have to click at the same time while moving the pads/sticks. Personally i have no problem with clickable sticks. They react exactly like i expect to and it doesnt interfere with the way i move the sticks. I expect it to be the same with sliding pads as well.

My guess is still that they feel analog sticks are ugly and stick out. They want the tablet to be flat and sleek, like a tablet. Plus, slider pads might feel just fine.
There is a big "bulge" on the back of the controller (for better grip), so i dont think that they are that concerned about it looking sleek like a flat tablet. It could be that they want the top of the controller to be flat though (maybe this is what you mean).

BurntPork

Banned

Well, it's a split memory pool. If sizes mean anything in that diagram, there is a bigger slower pool for the CPU, and 2 smaller pools directly on the MCM. Likely that this is the faster memory (and again, if size matters there is less of it) and/or being mislabeled EDram, and the external memory will probably be regular DDR3.

Also of note, the ROM suggests that more of the flash memory (8gb?) will be open to end users. The Wii-U pads have a separate Ni-Fi chip and are not solely using bluetooth (aka "terminal connector") - which is good. Bodes well for more pads if Ni-Fi can support it.

The design of the CPU/external/internal memory/gpu harken back to GC/Wii, so I would bet that backwards compatibility was certainly in their heads. This likely means that whatever CPU/GPU is in there will have some lineage that will allow for 100% hardware BC.

Yeah, if this is to scale, that's definitely a <=320ALU GPU and only on-par with current gen.

Most of it's the same as previous patents/deductions, but it is interesting that there are both VRAM and "Internal Main Memory" on the GPU's MCM, and then "External Main Memory" as well. Off the top of my head, I can think of two possible explanations for this:

1) The "Internal Main Memory" is the eDRAM, and the "VRAM" is just a separate 3MB of VRAM to provide Wii BC. The "External Main Memory" is the main RAM.

2) The "VRAM" is the eDRAM. There's a split pool of RAM, with perhaps 1GB of GDDR5 with a wide bus on the MCM with the GPU ("Internal Main Memory") and another 1GB of slower DDR3 on the motherboard ("external main memory").

I'm thinking the "internal main memory" is the eDRAM. It would fit the rumors of the eDRAM being a "scratchpad" accessible to the CPU as well as the GPU. The VRAM would presumably be GDDR5 and the "external main memory" DDR3.

I gotta look into this more though...

I'm not sure if emulation will be the reason, It's something I always expected because it simply matched the philosophy of the GC. I'd imagine they'd be able to make adjustments to the external RAM very late into the design.

HylianTom

Banned
He needs to reveal it in that tiny chat we all discussed a few threads ago. GAF is going to be a war zone during e3
I'll reveal it whenever I can, as best for everyone possible. I'll try to do it in both the thread and in chat, if possible.:)

I'll say this.. participation in my offer is more limited than you'd think. I'm a bit disappointed, but then again, a guy swearing on his beloved dog? It could be risky-sounding to someone who doesn't know me, I admit..

edit: and I still feel no temptation to peek.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
I shouldn't shoulder the blame onto the USPTO, but due to a rather tricky layout in their database, I missed yet another thing regarding the Wii U trademark, this time for the United States.

As I've reported before, the current status of Wii U trade marks in the USPTO's Trademark Application and Registration Retrieval System is that Nintendo cannot continue further action on the application until certain documents are provided. On the 16th of April, Nintendo supplied these documents to the USPTO and thus should soon be able to continue action on it. The status date is still 01/11/2012, but I assume it takes a while to process the documents, the bureaucratic pursuit of the USPTO is rather slow (though effective).

This is what it says:

The applicant herein submits a digitized image of a copy, a certification, or a certified copy of a registration in the applicant's country of origin showing that the mark has been registered in that country, and that the registration is in full force and effect. If the foreign registration is not in English, an English translation thereof is being submitted. The applicant hereby requests removal of this application from suspension for further action by the examining attorney.

If anyone wants to read the 14 page document, it's available as TEAS Response to Suspension Inquiry here:http://tdr.uspto.gov/search.action?sn=85393173#

What I can gather from this is that Nintendo wishes to continue action on these marks, and that Wii U is what they want their next generation console to be called. As of now, the examining agent will update the filings and should when done publish the marks in the Official Gazette, a weekly publication of the USPTO. This gazette makes it possible for any party who believes it may be damaged by registration of the mark to file either an opposition or a request to extend the time to oppose. The time limit to do this is 30 days. Should there be no opposition, the name is basically set and all Nintendo has to do is file a statement of use (SOU). Should the SOU be approved, USPTO issues a registration within approximately two months after.

Now it's just the problems in England they have to solve. But the name appears to be what they want.

I'll reveal it whenever I can, as best for everyone possible. I'll try to do it in both the thread and in chat, if possible.

I'll say this.. participation in my offer is more limited than you'd think. I'm a bit disappointed, but then again, a guy swearing on his beloved dog? It could be risky-sounding to someone who doesn't know me, I admit..

Yeah, a lot of people simply don't know about the offer because it's only been mentioned a few times in a thread that creates new pages every few minutes. Knowledge is a moving target.

If this is was to scale the CPU would be bigger then the CD :p Super powerfull beast console. Its only the size of your desk.

Oh, shit, Wii U optical media the size of a flat screen television confirmed! ;)

Nilaul

Rösti;37563154 said:
I shouldn't shoulder the blame onto the USPTO, but due to a rather tricky layout in their database, I missed yet another thing regarding the Wii U trademark, this time for the United States.

As I've reported before, the current status of Wii U trade marks in the USPTO's Trademark Application and Registration Retrieval System is that Nintendo cannot continue further action on the application until certain documents are provided. On the 16th of April, Nintendo supplied these documents to the USPTO and thus should soon be able to continue action on it. The status date is still 01/11/2012, but I assume it takes a while to process the documents, the bureaucratic pursuit of the USPTO is rather slow (though effective).

This is what it says:

If anyone wants to read the 14 page document, it's available as TEAS Response to Suspension Inquiry here:http://tdr.uspto.gov/search.action?sn=85393173#

What I can gather from this is that Nintendo wishes to continue action on these marks, and that Wii U is what they want their next generation console to be called. As of now, the examining agent will update the filings and should when done publish the marks in the Official Gazette, a weekly publication of the USPTO. This gazette makes it possible for any party who believes it may be damaged by registration of the mark to file either an opposition or a request to extend the time to oppose. The time limit to do this is 30 days. Should there be no opposition, the name is basically set and all Nintendo has to do is file a statement of use (SOU). Should the SOU be approved, USPTO issues a registration within approximately two months after.

Now it's just the problems in England they have to solve. But the name appears to be what they want.

Please, please block the name.

What's shitty about the Wii U circle pad?

I don't like the one on the 3DS too much, personally. But it wouldn't really bother me. And the one on the Wii U does seem to alleviate the major issues I have with it (like the excessive flatness and subsequent relative difficulty in holding it in a position).

The things I prefer with the alleged older design is:

A) The lower controls are closer to the center of the controller than the higher controls, meaning you can reach them by just moving your thumb. With the newer model, it looks like you have to shift your whole hand around.

B) The + and - buttons are suddenly in a place where the natural sweep of the same thumb can reach with little effort. Devs will use these buttons somehow, regardless of their placement, just because they exist. So it's nice to have them in a more comfortable spot.

C) The grip is contoured in what looks like a shape more fitting to the human hand.

D) From the looks of it, the controller would lay more horizontally if you rest it on a table, making stuff like that Othello demo a little more reasonable.

BlackJace

Just to make your life easier:

#232: John Harker (vouched for in #284, #285, #286, #289, et al), "the thumb sticks are clickable" &#8592; speculation follows regarding the possibility of it being analog-"click", whether the flat nature of the Wii U analogs would make it feel less awkward, etc..

#370: updated Wii U gun-shell design &#8592; with bottom front trigger apparently moved to immediately below the analog stick

#467: GameStop internal computer system lists BLOps 2 for Wii U

But you should still go back and read the responses and survey answers and so forth. :)

ninjedit: Hey, guys, wossname was right, he did specifically say "sticks". I personally think he used the words out of convention, not out of a snipey "they're sticks now, not pads", but take out of it what you will.

I appreciate it man :)

But clickable sticks?! That made my day. And does that mean they changed up the controller quite a bit from its initial showing?

HylianTom

Banned
B) The + and - buttons are suddenly in a place where the natural sweep of the same thumb can reach with little effort. Devs will use these buttons somehow, regardless of their placement, just because they exist. So it's nice to have them in a more comfortable spot.
Yep! I don't have to yell "go go gadget thumbs!" if I want to hit these buttona, thank goodness.. but I won't hit them accidentally either.

Pure speculation: Could this be the solution for more than one DRC? A smaller device with a smaller/lower resolution screen? Used not so much to give you another full view of the game, but to hide information (plays in madden) and allow for touch based commands...

wiiucontroller2.jpg

HylianTom

Banned
Pure speculation: Could this be the solution for more than one DRC? A smaller device with a smaller/lower resolution screen? Used not so much to give you another full view of the game, but to hide information (plays in madden) and allow for touch based commands...

wiiucontroller2.jpg
That would be quite wild, out of left field. I dunno..

StevieP

Banned
Somebody did say in the previous thread that the controller may go an inch or 2 smaller, so... Maybe that's the replacement to the E3 model.

BurntPork

Banned
Rösti;37563154 said:

This is what it says:

And that, my friends, is that.

I hope they at least change the logo. If they don't, it'll be next to impossible to market this as a new system. Just make the "U" in the same style as the "Wii", so it looks like the whole name is the system's brand. The way they have it now is like the "i" in DSi. It stands out too much and looks like the logo for an add-on or a game.

http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q133/awesomemattawesome/wiiucontroller2.jpg
Is this really part of the patent?

HylianTom

Banned
Somebody did say in the previous thread that the controller may go an inch or 2 smaller, so... Maybe that's the replacement to the E3 model.
I hope they don't go too much smaller. A Nintendo controller has never cramped my hands, amd I don't want to start now..

Ninman

1)  Price? $350 dls

2)  Release date? 18 Nov (NA)

3)  Bullshit xbox360-based Multiplier Equivalent? 2x

4)  Nintendo conference surprise(s)? Some "Core" alliance (crytek, valve, Epic), Demo showing graphical capabilities that will "wow" us

5)  Predict Miyamoto's role/costume/appearance context in this year's show. Demo'ing pikmin

6)  Any special MS or Sony predictions? 360 gets GTA V Exclusive DLC

7)  You know we're going to hear some, umm, interesting excuses from third parties.  So.. what'll be your favorite?
We are not developing anything yet cause we want to create something unique

8)  Any special E3 plans/arrangements of your own?  Taking off from work?  Skipping a final exam? I'll be on my vacations already :D

9)  Your favorite bullshit gaming media critique of Nintendo's performance at E3 this year?
Not "hardcore" enough, no HDD

10)  Your own predicted complaint/peeve/angering issue regarding Nintendo's E3 performance this year? We will get most of the info from 3rd parties

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
While I dislike giving the dude attention, tomorrow could mean a real nasty development when it comes to Wii U specs. Message courtesy of Kevin Cassidy:

This Saturday, May 5 Noon PT, Wedbush Securities Analyst Michael Pachter addresses why Nintendo has not yet released any of the hardware specs for the Wii U and if it means it’s not ready to compete with the current generation of consoles. He also predicts when the Wii U be released, as games like “Assassin’s Creed III” are already slated for October 30th 2012. Plus, what’s does Pachter think about Google Glasses? Pachter puts his thinking tie on this week to deliver the answers everyone wants to know!

Brace yourselves, lads, this is gonna get ugly.

Yep! I don't have to yell "go go gadget thumbs!" if I want to hit these buttona, thank goodness.. but I won't hit them accidentally either.

Wii controller and Metroid Prime 3 taught me that all buttons will be used at some point and that it's pretty terrible when there are buttons that require mutant hands to reach.

BurntPork

Banned
Rösti;37563486 said:
While I dislike giving the dude attention, tomorrow could mean a real nasty development when it comes to Wii U specs. Message courtesy of Kevin Cassidy:

Brace yourselves, lads, this is gonna get ugly.

Oh please. He doesn't know any more than we do. He still thinks that this is Wii HD. He's just going to make stuff up based on what he thinks. Hell, that's his job; to speculate and get people to listen.

[#467: GameStop internal computer system lists BLOps 2 for Wii U/quote]

Pardon my ignorance but what is this?

And regarding the patent diagram is it good news or possibly bad regarding speculation on power, amount of RAM, ect?

http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q133/awesomemattawesome/wiiucontroller2.jpg[/QUOTE]

I've asked that before, but it may also be the earliest image they made. I remember seeing that controller alongside a standard Wii console illustration.

Oh please. He doesn't know any more than we do. He still thinks that this is Wii HD. He's just going to make stuff up based on what he thinks. Hell, that's his job; to speculate and get people to listen.

No, Playstation Move was Wii HD. He said so.

"Pachter: Playstation Move Is The Wii HD, An Easy Upsell For Sony"

#467: GameStop internal computer system lists BLOps 2 for Wii U

Pardon my ignorance but what is this?

Sorry. "Call of Duty: Black Ops 2".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom