• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wii U Speculation Thread V: The Final Frontier

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not sure why this mistake is made, but Nintendo's in FY2012 right now. They name their FY based on when it starts, not when it ends. Go to their investor site if you don't believe me.

I looked before stating that and didn't see anything so I went with how it's normally done. Could you point me in the right direction?

Ffffffffyou're right! He's talking about the latency of streaming an already rendered view.

Okay, I'm gonna go get another tea (I did the trifecta of coffee+tea+coke*) so maybe I'll have a clearer mind.

* the black liquid, not the white powder. Pretty much the same thing, though. :p

Coffee, tea, and coke*? You're trying to clear more than your mind, lol.

test_account

XP-39C²
That's a pretty wildly different scenario than what I'm talking about.

In my case, both situations involve rendering the exact same total number of pixels per second.
I just ment that the numbers of total pixels being pushed is what matters the most. Maybe i missunderstand a bit what you first ment.

But i see in your later posts that you've given examples of where the same amount of pixels being pushed, just divided onto different screens. In that case, it shouldnt be a problem from the pure rendering standpoint. But it depends if there is hardware in the WiiU that allows 4 video streams at the same time. Maybe it requires a bit extra hardware power to render/manage 4 pictures at the same time instead of one, and also stream it, but i'm not sure.

Portugeezer

A million copies of Chinatown Wars for a handheld as popular as the DS is just barebones.

Yes it might be a topdown GTA, but even the 3D GTA's on PSP sold beter. And that's saying something.

It is saying something which is against your point (if I assume correctly).

HylianTom

Banned
like there is a part of Ubisoft not working on WiiU?

I don't know why but Ubi seems to be the biggest Nintendo fanboy out there
I'm still kinda shocked that the U is getting Assassin's Creed 3. My suspicion is that Ubi (and others) will be treating it like one of those fabled test games from the Wii era.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
I'm still kinda shocked that the U is getting Assassin's Creed 3. My suspicion is that Ubi (and others) will be treating it like one of those fabled test games from the Wii era.

I suspect Assassin's Creed could do very well as a launch title.

I don't think Ubisoft is testing WiiU at all to be honest, I think they are betting on the upad to work for them

GPW add me to that age chart. 34

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/library/earnings/index.html

It says that FY2011 ended in March 2012. If there's something I'm confused about, please explain.

You're fine. Thanks for the link. Like I said I couldn't find something like that and went ahead with with my post. From what I've seen companies tend to refer to the FY by the year it ends so I just assumed Nintendo did as well. So the question remains is that Q3 calendar or fiscal?

You mean the test games where success and failure result in the same option?

Aren't you a little old to be playing with toys? >_>
I added you but will probably wait a week or two and a half before posting it again

Azure J

I don't know why I laughed at the idea of this game being the Resident Evil 4: Wii Edition (re: best everything in design, nothing else of its type from the publisher again) of Nintendo's next gen.

Nintendo can't rely on older gamer's nostalgia to sell Mario and Zelda every single time.

They don't(for Mario, at least) unless you think the success of nSMB was reliant on nostalgia(& it sold too well for that to be the case)

like there is a part of Ubisoft not working on WiiU?

I don't know why but Ubi seems to be the biggest Nintendo fanboy out there

Because they made money on the Wii, & they managed to sell 1mil copies of Red Steel at launch, so they know there is money to be made on Nintendo platforms(less competition for their titles).

Oh there are some cool kids out there, but they are the minority from my experience anyway. All my young relatives and kids of friends of mine are interested in the 360 and a few with the PS3. Obsessed with the staple diet of Battlefield, CoD, FIFA....

Yep. This is my experience. I'm a sociable guy, 17, and I love playing Nintendo games. Talk to some friends on Steam back in November saying I was playing Skyward Sword and the immediate response was "That's a game for little kids. There aren't any good games on the Wii, they're all for little kids." These are people addicted to HoN and Minecraft so you'd think they had better respect for varied gaming. When it comes to videogames, I have taste like Journey, Demon's Souls, Mother 3, Rhythm Heaven, DKC, Vanquish and the like - varied interests, whilst everyone I know is either the CoD crowd, the MOBA crowd or the Minecraft crowd. The only people I've ever met who have a similar taste in gaming to me are basically social outcasts. I mean that in the nicest way, but they're people who you can tell have gaming as a replacement for a social life. It's sad, it's tough to find anyone excited about Dragon's Dogma or looking forward to Nintendo's E3 press event.

The biggest shame is that once I finally convinced someone to play Journey, they refused to co-operate with anyone else and by the end of it all they had to say was that it was "video games for gay people" (I'd love to say exactly what they said but you know how GAF is about homophobia, so...). Seriously had a go at them for that one. So depressing.

11redder

You're fine. Thanks for the link. Like I said I couldn't find something like that and went ahead with with my post. From what I've seen companies tend to refer to the FY by the year it ends so I just assumed Nintendo did as well. So the question remains is that Q3 calendar or fiscal?

It appears that Lingsen's year end is December 31st, so in this case fiscal and calendar year are one and the same.

http://markets.ft.com/Research//Markets/Tearsheets/Financials?s=2369:TAI&subview=IncomeStatement&period=a

HylianTom

Banned
Idea:
when we're camping out later on this year for our pre-orders and our systems, we're going to have to take note of the ages of the campers. The average age in my Wii line was in the late 20s, so I'd be interested in seeing what other people find this time around regarding average ages.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
It appears that Lingsen's year end is December 31st, so in this case fiscal and calendar year are one and the same.

http://markets.ft.com/Research//Markets/Tearsheets/Financials?s=2369:TAI&subview=IncomeStatement&period=a
Intriguing, good find. Then I assume this could be rather substantial news considering Lingsen ought to have been provided with at least preliminary orders by now. Of course that line of text comes from Fubon Securities, but I don't think they would write something so specific without first consulting with Lingsen.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Rats, my age's Y in GPW's chart sits firmly at zero. I feel underrepresented.

^ That's because he mistakenly put the year you were born. (year zero) ^_^

You mean the test games where success and failure result in the same option?

Aren't you a little old to be playing with toys? >_>
I added you but will probably wait a week or two and a half before posting it again

Yeah HT, you're too to be playing with toys. >_>

Nice find there. So that would mean they are projecting a July-Sept. release as I would assume they are speaking from their financial perspective.

Excuse me. I would assume Fubon Securities is speaking from their perspective.

11redder

^ That's because he mistakenly put the year you were born. ^_^

Nice find there. So that would mean they are projecting a July-Sept. release as I would assume they are speaking from their financial perspective.

Excuse me. I would assume Fubon Securities is speaking from their perspective.

Yeah that seems to be the case, but whether this is based on conjecture or insider knowledge is anyone's guess.

wsippel

Banned
Good point.

What's funny IMO is that while Nintendo skipped both DD and DTS altogether, going for Dolby Pro Logic II instead, they're still considered "outdated legacy features".
Nintendo decided on DPLII more than a decade ago and has to keep it for backwards compatibility - and DPLII was brand new when the Gamecube was designed (unlike DD, which was officially introduced in 1992, but already used in movies since 1991).

*Snip*

The Wii is dead. Kinda dumb for Nintendo to let it get to this state, but as it is there's probably no point releasing anything significant. Lots of late ports are filling the gaps, but they're gearing up for the Wii U.

*Snip*

I disagree. Microsoft did the same thing with the Xbox and 360. A platform holder is better off killing off a current gen console before launching a next gen console. Otherwise why would anyone buy a next gen machine whilst the current gen machine is being fully supported..? A platform holder, as Sony experienced this gen with the PS3 when it first launched, will end up with their new console selling less than their previous gen console.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
More patent/trademark fun.

These are not exactly brand new (Filed: 5/12/11 - Published: 16/2/12) but I can't find if they were already posted here or not.

First what it seems the Upad's stylus (source)
wiiu_stylusp8uhm.jpg

(nothing we haven't seen before I guess)

And secondly something that looks like the console's power adapter (source)
wiiu_power7iu0w.jpg
Are there dimensions on that power supply unit? What might we glean about the wii u power based on this?

Anth0ny

Idea:
when we're camping out later on this year for our pre-orders and our systems, we're going to have to take note of the ages of the campers. The average age in my Wii line was in the late 20s, so I'd be interested in seeing what other people find this time around regarding average ages.

I was 14 when Wii launched, and was one of the younger people in line at midnight. Although the first person in line couldn't have been older than 10, and was there with his father.

Met a GAF member that night, little did I know at the time.

HylianTom

Banned
I'm gonna be playing with my toys until I die or go blind or have my hands chopped off. And if I go blind, I'll still listen to the gaming music I cherish. And if I have my hands chopped off, I'll still find a way to watch "Let's Play" videos.

They're gonna bury my ashes with my favorite controller and my gold triforce pin. Yup yup.

Nibel

I'm preparing the Wii U E3 conference thread and if BY2K doesn't show up by then, I will make that thread. But if he shows up, someone please tell him (if he doesn't know already) that I want to contact him and help him with the thread. :)

BTW, negative Wii U no.100 incoming! But I can understand some of those feelings people have about it

Oddduck

I guess my point is, Nintendo doesn't have to worry about the 20 year olds today who play Nintendo. Those 20 year olds grew up with NES, SNES, N64, GameCube, and Wii and they'll always be loyal to nintendo.

Nintendo has to worry about the 20 year olds who didn't grow up with Mario and Zelda.

The 10-13 year olds today growing up on Call of Duty, Halo, Grand Theft Auto, Gears of War, and Madden won't be big Nintendo fans when they are 18-24. They didn't grow up on Mario and Zelda and Miyamoto.

For many of us, Nintendo was a big part of our childhood.

But for later generations who grew up on Xbox Live, that might not be the case. And that's why Nintendo needs to fight hard for younger gamers. Because they'll grow up as loyal Nintendo fans when they get older.

Nintendo decided on DPLII more than a decade ago and has to keep it for backwards compatibility - and DPLII was brand new when the Gamecube was designed (unlike DD, which was officially introduced in 1992, but already used in movies since 1991).

Wow thanks....didn't realize that DPLII support has to be preserved for proper backwards compatibility until now. (duh)
Any idea how's gonna be "handled" when the WiiU will be -only- connected to a receiver using HDMI?

Edit: I mean is it just a matter of "routing" the signal or does some kind of conversion (ADC) needs to take place?

Other than that excellent background info - good to know \m/

Are there dimensions on that power supply unit? What might we glean about the wii u power based on this?

No dimensions at the source. Not sure where else to look.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
I'm preparing the Wii U E3 conference thread and if BY2K doesn't show up by then, I will make that thread. But if he shows up, someone please tell him (if he doesn't know already) that I want to contact him and help him with the thread. :)

BTW, negative Wii U no.100 incoming! But I can understand some of those feelings people have about it
You should report your plans here, just in case: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=450653

HylianTom

Banned
I was 14 when Wii launched, and was one of the younger people in line at midnight. Although the first person in line couldn't have been older than 10, and was there with his father.

Met a GAF member that night, little did I know at the time.
Lucky man.. I didn't meet any GAF members.

The more I think about it, the more I realize that this is a good chance to look at the Nintendo fanbase. I remember there being more women than I'd expected for the Wii line, which I always think is more fun. And although there were lots of older folks in line, only two of them were shopping for their kids - the others were all shopping for themselves.

BD1

Banned
I guess my point is, Nintendo doesn't have to worry about the 20 year olds today who play Nintendo. Those 20 year olds grew up with NES, SNES, N64, GameCube, and Wii and they'll always be loyal to nintendo.

Nintendo has to worry about the 20 year olds who didn't grow up with Mario and Zelda.

The 10-13 year olds today growing up on Call of Duty, Halo, Grand Theft Auto, Gears of War, and Madden won't be big Nintendo fans when they are 18-24. They didn't grow up on Mario and Zelda and Miyamoto.

For many of us, Nintendo was a big part of our childhood.

But for later generations who grew up on Xbox Live, that might not be the case. And that's why Nintendo needs to fight hard for younger gamers. Because they'll grow up as loyal Nintendo fans when they get older.

I don't really buy this. There isn't anything generational going on with the platforms. It's consumer electronics.

Not to mention, you're forgetting the millions of children who play DS and 3DS. That's Nintendo's gateway drug for its consoles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom