• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wii U Speculation Thread V: The Final Frontier

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sadist

I know but... why would they ask him to do that? The game is supposedly about a ghost who messes with people on a cruise ship.

I think he meant: Why would Eminem put his name in with this game.
Oooooh

well

reggie-fils-aime-2.jpg

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
That Fansite just posted more supposed details about Acid Ghost:

Sounds interesting if true, but it ain't gonna sell many systems. Hopefully, Nintendo would have more up its sleeve than that aimed at older audiences.

Sounds like the old console game Ghost Master

250px-Ghost_master_box.jpg

Lyude77

Man, Acid Ghost does not sound good to me. I even like the idea of Geist, but just messing with passengers sounds wrong. Oh well.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
By the way, guys. There's a new Wii U baiting thread out there.
Be careful!

kunonabi

I'd actually be pretty excited if acid ghost turned out to be real. Haunting on the genesis was awesome and I always wanted a sequel or spiritual successor of some sort.

I wonder if we're going to get a leak every day or so at this point. It'd certainly make the wait a bit easier. 20 days..

Well, I'm personally expecting a lot of activity in here on the 21st. I've no idea if it'll be happy posts, mind, but there should be something to chat about.

Be careful!

Is that the "casual gamers are never buying consoles again" thread?

It seems foolish to use absolute terms like that. All you have to do is have well advertised features that are universally compelling for a reasonable price. That's not easy, mind you, but "never" is a really silly word to use.

axisofweevils

Well, I'm personally expecting a lot of activity in here on the 21st. I've no idea if it'll be happy posts, mind, but there should be something to chat about.

It seems foolish to use absolute terms like that. All you have to do is have well advertised features that are universally compelling for a reasonable price. That's not easy, mind you, but "never" is a really silly word to use.

Yep. That's the one.

Jarsonot

Yeah, in terms of CPU, Wii U is another Wii. (improved last-gen CPU) It's really a shame. Though, it is funny how the Wattson thing turned out to be such a godly level of BS. Lol

Oh man, I jumped into the thread and originally thought it was BGassassin who posted this, took it seriously and skimmed around for what the hell happened. =)

Whew.

acid ghost sounds so fake

nondescript vague gameplay concepts

dumb name

modicum of research done on developer

sensational aspect to get clicks

axisofweevils

I could see a more "friendly" version of Acid Ghost.
Sort of like Luigi's Mansion in reverse where you play Boo.

Izick

I really think Nintendo should bring out a strong launch line-up for the Wii U. Sure, I'm a little biased here being a gamer, but I honestly think 2012 is very weak in terms of holiday line-ups, compared to recent years, so not only will Nintendo sell out of Wii U's, but they can make sure that they sell tons of games as well, and have a strong attach rate from the get go.

I mean, I just hope someone finally gets it right with one of these consoles. I can't think of a system in recent memory with s strong launch line-up. Halo's are rare, and still, usually a single game alone doesn't make a line-up. I think the 360's line-up gave it a good try, but most of the games fell flat, and the best games were only really "good." If Nintendo just manages to lock-down solid third party games, but enhanced by the Wii U's power, something like Battlefield 3, Darksiders II, maybe even Assassin's Creed 3, and then just have a single Nintendo killer-app there. It could foster a good relationship between third party devs and Nintendo, and Nintendo already will give fans a reason to pick-up a Wii U with one of their own games.

Thraktor

As it came up, I feel something needs clarifying:

The Wii U's CPU is not a modified Waternoose/Xenon.

We have a considerable number of sources pointing out that the CPU is capable of out of order execution. This isn't something you can just "add-in" to a chip, it requires a completely different instruction pipeline, and for all intents and purposes, the instruction pipeline is the CPU. All the other specs, like number of cores, cache size, etc. are superficial; a CPU is defined by the way it handles instructions, and the Wii U CPU handles instructions in a fundamentally different way than Xenon.

The CPU will be, by any reasonable criteria, a completely custom chip. The instruction pipeline is probably going to be very loosely based on the Power7's, and the AltiVec unit will probably be a heavily modified variant on the VSX, but it's a whole new CPU, and not a "modified" anything.

StevieP

Banned

We have a considerable number of sources pointing out that the CPU is capable of out of order execution. This isn't something you can just "add-in" to a chip, it requires a completely different instruction pipeline, and for all intents and purposes, the instruction pipeline is the CPU. All the other specs, like number of cores, cache size, etc. are superficial; a CPU is defined by the way it handles instructions, and the Wii U CPU handles instructions in a fundamentally different way than Xenon.

The CPU will be, by any reasonable criteria, a completely custom chip. The instruction pipeline is probably going to be very loosely based on the Power7's, and the AltiVec unit will probably be a heavily modified variant on the VSX, but it's a whole new CPU, and not a "modified" anything.

The problem with the bolded is that I can't remember anyone mentioning this. Perhaps it is my sleepless brain, perhaps we justified it in the past because it makes more sense (especially in regards to Wii emulation) but I don't recall a specific mention. Wait... was it in the target specs that BG occasionally refers to? I'll have to go and check...

lherre - OoO, or not OoO? Surely that wouldn't break an NDA.

acid ghost sounds so fake

nondescript vague gameplay concepts

dumb name

modicum of research done on developer

sensational aspect to get clicks

I promise that I never, ever post up stories just to get clicks. Take that for what it's worth to you.

With that said, the Acid Ghost rumor is indeed low on my personal probability scale. Even if it is bogus, I promise to make an ass out of myself and walk around E3 asking people where Acid Ghost is. Seems like the least I could do.

Thraktor

The problem with the bolded is that I can't remember anyone mentioning this. Perhaps it is my sleepless brain, perhaps we justified it in the past because it makes more sense (especially in regards to Wii emulation) but I don't recall a specific mention. Wait... was it in the target specs that BG occasionally refers to? I'll have to go and check...

lherre - OoO, or not OoO? Surely that wouldn't break an NDA.

Bgassassin and Arkam have definitely said it, and I think I remember lherre saying it as well.

where my news at?

I don't know when you were last here. :p

#10841: Analyst believes ubisoft will have F2P Wiiu titles this year:

#10961: [Ubisoft] will have five casual titles and two core titles.

#11097: via linkedin, employee resumés mentioning Wii U projects

#11164: Rumour that Nintendo is using a well-known hip hop honky to promote a project entitled "Acid Ghost"

#11347: "EA think the Wii U is “absolutely” next gen"

#11548: Amazon lists Wii U games for $49.99

#11647: Just Dance confirmed for Wii U

#11649: More detailed "Acid Ghost" rumours

MDX

probosis-monkey-misc-bb-6bb61e3b7bce0931da574d19d1d82c88-40.gif

Nobody wants to believe that.
Nintendo obviously took the cheap route when putting together the WiiU.
Thats why it will barely perform better than the 360.

japtor

Well yeah. But is IPC really that important for games?

By the way, I'm not saying it's a straight up copy job. Just suggesting some improvements that would make a big difference if based on the old Xenon architecture. The fact that it has split L2 cache alone already means that it is pretty different from Xenon.

Also, how much does the OoOE mean for the die size? Xenon's die size was pretty heavily cut down, but on 45nm Nintendo has much more headroom.
CPU power matters if they start doing some new complex crap, and unlike graphics it might not be scaled down as easily.
Yeah, in terms of CPU, Wii U is another Wii. (improved last-gen CPU) It's really a shame. Though, it is funny how the Wattson thing turned out to be such a godly level of BS. Lol
As pointed out OoOE is a pretty major change, basically a new chip generation.
probosis-monkey-misc-bb-6bb61e3b7bce0931da574d19d1d82c88-40.gif

Nobody wants to believe that.
Nintendo obviously took the cheap route when putting together the WiiU.
Thats why it will barely perform better than the 360.
An underpowered console coming out a year early? It's destined to be the new PS2.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
Don't know if he has an SDK, don't know if he has developed anything for the format, don't know if he knows anything about Wii U's hardware, but this is what Peter Molyneux had to say:

To: Geoff, Stephen

Geoff & Stephen

I have long admired your work at E3, and always wondered what life would be like to be on your side, rather than that of the developer. So when your email flew into my inbox I did not hesitate to say yes.

I am already losing sleep though excitement!

This E3 is going to be fascinating . Thoughts:
  • Sony and Msft are holding their breath on next gen interesting to see how they pad out another year. Price cuts, form factors?
  • Nintendo's slightly lack lustre Wii U is going to have to blow us away with better specs and great 1st party line up.
  • The real challenge is how the players are going to adapt to the mounting pressure of Facebook, Apple, Social, Cloud, Multi-Gaming.
  • Is the biggest news that E3 itself runs the risk of being outdated, or perhaps it already is?
  • I guess I am excited about GTA V, but only in a mildly curious way.
  • I am excited, as always, to hear from Valve.
  • I would expect some announcement from Bungie
  • God only knows what COD will have to destroy in the Press briefing demo, after last year's destruction of NY.
Thank you so much for having me on the team, please ask you makeup people to stock up on makeup for my bald shiny head.

From Kotaku: http://kotaku.com/5910748/peter-mol...analysis-during-e3-on-spike-tv-and-so-will-we

Better specs in relation to what, to Xbox 360, or better specs as in relation to where the Wii U was at by E3 2011?

CPU power matters if they start doing some new complex crap, and unlike graphics it might not be scaled down as easily.
As pointed out OoOE is a pretty major change, basically a new chip generation.
An underpowered console coming out a year early? It's destined to be the new PS2.
PS2 was the best console ever games wise for me, or maybe that was PS1. I'd take either one again!

D_prOdigy

Rösti;37936596 said:
Don't know if he has an SDK, don't know if he has developed anything for the format, don't know if he knows anything about Wii U's hardware, but this is what Peter Molyneux had to say:

Wii U is best thing ever confirmed.

qq more

I can see why people would consider the ps2 the best console. It had a lot of great games and is the most successful console ever.

Personally, the snes will always be my favorite. (And the inferior genesis in my heart)

BurntPork

Banned

Okay, thanks for clearing that up.

Still seems that the performance gain over Xenon will not be very apparent, though. Most everything about the machine seems to be ~3x 360 except the CPU and the memory bandwidth. Those will be this system's bottlenecks.

MYE

I promise that I never, ever post up stories just to get clicks. Take that for what it's worth to you.

With that said, the Acid Ghost rumor is indeed low on my personal probability scale. Even if it is bogus, I promise to make an ass out of myself and walk around E3 asking people where Acid Ghost is. Seems like the least I could do.

You're good people RMC

You're good people

HylianTom

Banned
Be careful!
Just got back from my afternoon walk, and this was one of the first things I noticed. Hmm.

People always underestimate the plumber. As long as Nintendo has Mr Precious, they will always have some appeal to "casual" gamers. Mario is like a gateway drug to more intense gaming experiences, and folks always sell his role short in that whole dynamic.

*hack*gag*

*giggle*

I can see why people would consider the ps2 the best console. It had a lot of great games and is the most successful console ever.

Personally, the snes will always be my favorite. (And the inferior genesis in my heart)
Actually, that kinda makes me think... The Genesis was technically inferior in both graphics and sound to the SNES. Yet, it still was able to hold its own against Nintendo for the longest time, even getting a large portion of the same games. So, considering we're kind of hitting the point of diminishing returns here, even if the Wii U is the weakest console next generation, it's not exactly going to flop or anything... it'll probably just be the Genesis to the PS4/Xbox Whatever's SNES.

Izick

Wait, I thought the PS2 is considered one of the top tier systems of all time in terms of software? Personally, I didn't care for it besides a few games (MGS 2 is my favorite of all time), and was more of an Xbox and Gamecube guy, but I could see an argument for it.

Stronger than SNES though?...

HylianTom

Banned
I really think Nintendo should bring out a strong launch line-up for the Wii U. Sure, I'm a little biased here being a gamer, but I honestly think 2012 is very weak in terms of holiday line-ups, compared to recent years, so not only will Nintendo sell out of Wii U's, but they can make sure that they sell tons of games as well, and have a strong attach rate from the get go.

I mean, I just hope someone finally gets it right with one of these consoles. I can't think of a system in recent memory with s strong launch line-up. Halo's are rare, and still, usually a single game alone doesn't make a line-up. I think the 360's line-up gave it a good try, but most of the games fell flat, and the best games were only really "good." If Nintendo just manages to lock-down solid third party games, but enhanced by the Wii U's power, something like Battlefield 3, Darksiders II, maybe even Assassin's Creed 3, and then just have a single Nintendo killer-app there. It could foster a good relationship between third party devs and Nintendo, and Nintendo already will give fans a reason to pick-up a Wii U with one of their own games.

With more and more games falling back into Q1 2013, I think this holiday is Nintendo's for the taking. Personally, I don't think it's a coincidence that they're delaying their game releases.. Nintendo's launch is going to suck a huge portion of the mindshare/oxygen out of the room. I wouldn't want to go up against that kind of juggernaut either.

This is Nintendo's shot. Launch strong, maintain momentum, and build a lead before the others get their chance. Otherwise, we're looking at a greater likelihood of GameCube 2.0 (which wouldn't be all that bad if the library is just as strong).

MDX

Rösti;37936596 said:

Nintendo's slightly lack lustre Wii U is going to have to blow us away with better specs and great 1st party line up.

129172374975251000.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom