• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wii U Speculation Thread VI: The Undiscovered Country

Status
Not open for further replies.
Shit, did you some leaked info? John H has already been in and said "WOW" to some of the stuff he's seen on Wii U. And that was a reference to graphic "quality" IIRC.

There's no way some stuff won't look AMAZING on it.

Sure, compared to the Wii, but will it be the type of difference we saw when Sony/Microsoft showed during their 360/PS3 reveal? Will it be the type of stuff that Epic is about to reveal allegedly? I doubt it.

Game-Biz

it's coming in a moment, just to check something

so i wasn't teasing heh, just warning that i'll post something of mine and not a news found on the internet :)

0092_7m21.gif

Sure, compared to the Wii, but will it be the type of difference we saw when Sony/Microsoft showed during their 360/PS3 reveal?
Sooo a bunch of bullshots claiming to be actual gameplay footage?

Actually, that doesn't sound far off. I'd hope Nintendo's above that, but my more cynical side figures they're not.

Izick

I think Halo has a nice aesthetic. With all the problems I've had with the games past Halo: CE, the aesthetic or graphics was never a problem for me. Always had a unique look in my eyes, for a FPS.

BY2K

Membero Americo
I'm gonna be blown away by the consoles features, the other stuff (USB 3.0, baby!) and Pikmin 3.

And the sheer amount of launch titles.

HylianTom

Banned
Golden Sun sure came out of nowhere.
Too bad goddamn IGN spoiled Donkey Kong Country before the conference.
Good thing is, we don't have Matt (and his connections) around to spoil E3 as much as they used to. It used to run like clockwork.. a few days before E3, it'd be leak time from Matt. Good times, indeed.

But now? The days of the major sites having reporters who are actually friendly with Nintendo sources to the point of leakage? Those days are gone.

I suspect that RawMeatCowboy might be one of our next best hopes for someone who hears and knows things, but the man is also crazy-good at keeping his mouth shut.

I could see a lot of folks breaking-down here, for all to see. Lots of grey. Lots of folks freely baiting and taunting.

I'd be a bit pissed, but I also would know not to give the resident haters around here the pleasure of seeing me flip-out.

I bet the only thing we´ll see on E3 is a meditating guru.

We´ll se alot of 503 aswell...

But if Nintendo really f*cks this up, i´ll just avoid NeoGAF, so me and my next 20 generations of offsprings won´t be 100x times permabanned until the end of infinity...

HylianTom

Banned
Sure, compared to the Wii, but will it be the type of difference we saw when Sony/Microsoft showed during their 360/PS3 reveal? Will it be the type of stuff that Epic is about to reveal allegedly? I doubt it.
Always with the penis measuring, my goodness! oy..

That's nice, Cloving.

Izick

I'm gonna be blown away by the consoles features, the other stuff (USB 3.0, baby!) and Pikmin 3.

And the sheer amount of launch titles.

I really hope Pikmin 3 is a real thing. People are going to be super-disappointed if it isn't.

I'm trying to think, if Pikmin 3 is a launch title, what would be one other good Nintendo game to counter-balance it? I think Eternal Darkness 2 would be that game. You have a sweet strategy game for all ages in Pikmin, and then you have a dark game for older audiences, but both appeal to hardcore gamers.

Nibel

I think Halo has a nice aesthetic. With all the problems I've had with the games past Halo: CE, the aesthetic or graphics was never a problem for me. Always had a unique look in my eyes, for a FPS.

Halo looks nice and has a good Sci-Fi story. I like it very much and it has the best feature ever invented: 4 player local multiplayer.

I hate it when people who bash the FPS genre mention Halo, just shows they have no fucking clue what they are talking about.

Oddduck

I really hope Pikmin 3 is a real thing. People are going to be super-disappointed if it isn't.

I'm trying to think, if Pikmin 3 is a launch title, what would be one other good Nintendo game to counter-balance it? I think Eternal Darkness 2 would be that game. You have a sweet strategy game for all ages in Pikmin, and then you have a dark game for older audiences, but both appeal to hardcore gamers.

Pikmin 3 is a real thing. Bank on it.

StevieP

Banned
Has it been confirmed that the NFC is read only and can not send NFC signals to other read-devices?

Signals, yes, writing no. And I say that as someone who has an NFC writer next to me. They ain't cheap.

Farewell Wii u thread. May you prosper with spam, doom, teasing and 1% actual speculation on THE community board.

That's pretty much how it is now lol

I'm probably being watched by the mods just like BP was.

What the heck did BP do, anyway? I must've missed this.

So when do folks like Shiggy and Iwata and co. actually fly over to the US in order to prep for the presentation? I assume they do many conference calls in order to figure out their messaging, but surely they arrive a few days (if not a week or two) early to adjust to the time change and do run-throughs in conference rooms and studios before doing run-throughs in the theater.

If they are doing similar video gimmicks with the stage as they did last year then they definitely have scaled models (if not the actual stage pieces) and do a run through on a sound stage beforehand to make sure the projectors and video sync well with what's being projected on. I would venture to guess the production company is doing all of that now with stand-ins, with Nintendo PR team keeping tabs of everything while Reggie & the execs are slaving over the actual messaging.

All of the videos to be used in the sizzle reels are probably being put together now by third parties and sent off via FTP/dropbox to whoever at Ninty is editing together the reels next week sometime.

This is the first post that's actually got me "hyped" for E3, because I know all of this is happening as we speak.

cajunator

Banned
SO fucking excited. I hate the wait until E3 news.
So dark. So lonely.
And I'm not really even into gaming anymore so I imagine its worse for more dedicated gamers.

Sadist

Honestly, I think Pikmin 3 will be the title for core audiences. Those seem to be the ones clammoring for a new Pikmin game and I think Super Mario Mii will be the game to draw in a more casual crowd.

Neiteio

What was the last "mind-blowing" Nintendo announcement you guys can think of? Nothing matches the Twilight Princess (though it lacked a name at the time) reveal, but what has come close?
For me, Kid Icarus Uprising... Donkey Kong Country Returns... Luigi's Mansion 2... And Ocarina of Time 3D and Pilotwings Resort (FINALLY)... Those were all HOLY SHIT announcements for me. Of those, KIU was probably most surprising, while DKCR was most delightful (me being a huge DKC nut).

Izick

Halo looks nice and has a good Sci-Fi story. I like it very much and it has the best feature ever invented: 4 player local multiplayer.

I hate it when people who bash the FPS genre mention Halo, just shows they have no fucking clue what they are talking about.

Yeah, I disliked Halo 2, but I still think that was a landmark game. Halo 3 and Reach were absolutely fantastic, and brought me a lot of fun times. The stories in the games are usually pretty solid, but I think they can definitely do more with them. Pretty sure Halo was the first game I read a related book about. Ghosts of Onyx was pretty good, it was a fun little read.

I don't even need to mention Halo 1. It basically changed everything.

Pikmin 3 is a real thing. Bank on it.

I want it to be a real thing, but I'm not going to bet on anything, because almost nothing is certain in gaming anymore, in terms of rumors.

I just hope they go overboard with all the needless details like some later Halo maps did when they went next-gen. Lockout in Halo 2 for the original Xbox was a huge favorite because of it's wonderful map design for 4v4 Slayer encounters, it has a cool, clean aesthetic, simple geometry, very clear lines-of-sight, battles flowed easily, etc. The fluidly and pacing of the combat is one of Halo's MP key traits, and Lockout really emphasized that.

halo-2-lockout.jpg

Then there's the next-gen remake for Halo 3 which is dark and gritty and there's misc details and bullshit clogged up everything and subtracting from the map's simple genius simplicity. The whole flow and sight lines on the map is out of whack.

in_h3_LegDLC_Blackout02.jpg

Sometimes, less in more. Just because you can add more bells and whistles doesn't make it sound better.

Neiteio

Pikmin 3 IS real, and it WILL be at E3, fully playable, CONFIRMED. Miyamoto confirmed all of this. He said the HD looks great and the touch controls enhance the gameplay, and that those who loved Pikmin gameplay can look forward to it at E3. Huzzah!

EDIT: OK, can't find an article where Shiggy promised it'd be playable, but I bet it will!

Not sure if I can handle E3 week. So many news and tons of 500 errors. I'm praying FZero makes a surprised return. My favorite Nintendo racer without blue shells<3

Izick

I thought the 3DS was pretty surprising, I just kept thinking "3D without glasses....on a handheld? I need to see this for myself!"

Izick

Pikmin 3 IS real, and it WILL be at E3, fully playable, CONFIRMED. Miyamoto confirmed all of this. He said the HD looks great and the touch controls enhance the gameplay, and that those who loved Pikmin gameplay can look forward to it at E3. Huzzah!

EDIT: OK, can't find an article where Shiggy promised it'd be playable, but I bet it will!

Really? I must have missed that. Hey, I want to see Pikmin 3 too, I'm just not going to believe it till I see it.

Neiteio

I would wait until later tonight or Thursday.
The NP reveal will probably be a shitty James Bond game announcement. The wait has made me cynical. Certainly, Star Fox x Metroid would be a "cover for the generations" (if it's real), but yeah, what are the chances they'd break it, and this lose to E3. Probably nil.

Yeah Pikmin 3 is a dead cert. I'm looking forward to seeing it, but cos we know it's coming it might lack the mind-blowing characteristic we have been discussing. Unless it does something incredible with the Wii U's unique features that none of us could foresee. Which it very well could.

7threst

I'm sure it has been discussed already, but would an Etrian Odyssey game for WiiU be a possibility or is that series just too niche for a console release? Because drawing maps on the WiiU tablet is something I hope we can look forward to!

Yeah Pikmin 3 is a dead cert. I'm looking forward to seeing it, but cos we know it's coming it might lack the mind-blowing characteristic we have been discussing. Unless it does something incredible with the Wii U's unique features that none of us could foresee. Which it very well could.

The Pad can project holograms.
BELIEVE :)

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Good thing is, we don't have Matt (and his connections) around to spoil E3 as much as they used to. It used to run like clockwork.. a few days before E3, it'd be leak time from Matt. Good times, indeed.

But now? The days of the major sites having reporters who are actually friendly with Nintendo sources to the point of leakage? Those days are gone.

I suspect that RawMeatCowboy might be one of our next best hopes for someone who hears and knows things, but the man is also crazy-good at keeping his mouth shut.

The DKC Returns reveal would have blown my mind had Matt not spoiled it a few days beforehand :(

Neiteio

Really? I must have missed that. Hey, I want to see Pikmin 3 too, I'm just not going to believe it till I see it.
What I can say with absolute certainty is Miyamoto has commented on Pikmin 3's progress a number of times this year, and each incident got its own thread here at GAF. In one interview he talked about how he's really enjoying working with HD graphics in Pikmin 3, and he also said the touchscreen controls add a lot to the gameplay. It's definitely coming along nicely. He seemed excited about it, so we should too.

EDIT: Green Scar linked to the confirmation it's playable at E3.

I'm sure it has been discussed already, but would an Etrian Odyssey game for WiiU be a possibility or is that series just too niche for a console release? Because drawing maps on the WiiU tablet is something I hope we can look forward to!

I think it would be perfect for a DD release, but it would probably be more fitting for a handheld. I still think it would do fairly well, and probably turn more of a profit anyway as an eShop title for either Wii U or 3DS. Just release on both and have them interact. Specifically, shared game saves.

Man, I can only imagine how Pikmin 3 will play. Maybe some of that street view stuff with the Wii U tablet, only related to Pikmin somehow.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
I have one question: was it ever actually confirmed that GCN games would be on the Wii U or have people just been assuming this for an entire year?

Neiteio

Man, I can only imagine how Pikmin 3 will play. Maybe some of that street view stuff with the Wii U tablet, only related to Pikmin somehow.
Split up Olimar and Louie -- keep tabs on Olimar on the TV, and Louie on the Upad, and switch freely on the fly when you see the inactive one in danger

In co-op, see what your co-op partner is doing on the Upad while you play on the TV.

On the Upad, draw routes across the map for Pikmin to follow.

On the Upad, display hot keys you can hit for quick commands.

Etc, etc, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom