• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wii U Speculation Thread VI: The Undiscovered Country

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
You guys obviously already knew, but I wanted to chime in to confirm that the supposedly Ubisoft Milan dev "leaking" bullcrap does not work, in fact, at Ubi Milan. I know this for a fact. Lol @6GHz cpu
KuGsj.gif

NeoRausch

You guys obviously already knew, but I wanted to chime in to confirm that the supposedly Ubisoft Milan dev "leaking" bullcrap does not work, in fact, at Ubi Milan. I know this for a fact. Lol @6GHz cpu
KuGsj.gif

Aha! So 8GHz is confirmed then? Would look nice with the almost confirmed 8 GB of ram :3

Redford

aka Cabbie

So instead of conceding his point, you're saying a cheaply made MS variant on what will likely become the standard controller setup for this gen wouldn't sell. When Kinect, something even I thought would bomb, is the fastest selling consumer electronic, and costs almost as much as the console itself.

The DRC is a great idea, but it certainly isn't going to be difficult for MS to match down the line. They don't have to put a new spin on the idea, because it's not a paradigm shift in the first place.

MisterHero

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDZYAknq2Gc

I remember being so blown away by the reflective armor back then.
Metal Mario is still one of my favorite parts of Mario 64

The ripple effect when jumping into paintings was awesome. I would spend a few minutes staring into the black pool that was the entrance of the Hazy Maze Cave.

I actually didn't think much of Waverace's water back then. Now of course it astonishes me what the N64 could do.

ffdgh said:
eh can't look at that link without hearing "well excuse me princess"
I think it was the most reasonable exploration of a Link-Zelda relationship; snarky jabs intermixed with saving each others' lives.

I want Link to say it in a game, just once. :p

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
With all the talk about Microsoft focusing on becoming an entertainment hub, I wonder if Nintendo might actually manage to beat them to the punch. Yeah, lulz, it doesn't even play DVDs - nobody gives a fuck though. My reasoning is pretty simple: They have the better box for the purpose. Small, subdued design, (hopefully) quiet, always on, always connected. It also has the best possible controller for such a device. It's also not like Nintendo has anything against media content - they have several partnerships with content providers all over the world (Netflix and Hulu in the US, BBC, Sky and Eurosport in Europe, Fuji and dentsu in Japan). And probably most important of all: They don't compete with any traditional media corporation and they don't have any agendas to push.

Yes, I was thinking the same thing but with the new controller design I'm wondering if those sticks and bulkier build hurts that purpose. I mean, with those sticks protruding, it's less likely to be left out on be fmily room coffee table in most households. [\nitpicking]

An important feature to look out for is if Wii U comes preloaded with an universal remote application. That would turn the wuc into a single device that can change the tv channel, access the internet, adjust tv inputs, order Netflix movies, and of course play games.

test_account

XP-39C²
I'm moreso downplaying the urgency of having better visuals and irked by such a focus on them rather than saying they don't matter.

Others may feel differently but I think while cinematic gaming has never been bigger, really great ideas and design in games haven't progressed as far as I think they should.

I love great looking games but not at the expense of innovation.

I'm just perplexed that some think it's time for much better graphics.

Nintendo fans saying that is perfectly alright and understandable as we are used to the lackluster majority of Wii offerings but I can't see how fans of the other systems are "sick" of what their games output.
I understand. I think that for some, graphics is very important, so they emphasis the need for good visuals. I dont think they mean that it is the only thing that matter, but that it is an important part of the game.

What do you feel is missing from cinematic gaming by the way? In what way could it be designed differently?

wsippel

Banned
So instead of conceding his point, you're saying a cheaply made MS variant on what will likely become the standard controller setup for this gen wouldn't sell. When Kinect, something even I thought would bomb, is the fastest selling consumer electronic, and costs almost as much as the console itself.

The DRC is a great idea, but it certainly isn't going to be difficult for MS to match down the line. They don't have to put a new spin on the idea, because it's not a paradigm shift in the first place.
"Down the line"? Sure. We're talking 360 here, though. You know, the system that will be succeeded in 20 months or something. Also, the Xbox has no realtime video encoder hardware and doesn't come standard with sufficiently fast WLAN, which means that a zero client approach most likely wouldn't really work to begin with.

There are two other things to consider: a) A tablet would be at odds with Microsoft's Kinect vision. b) Microsoft has a mobile OS to push. So their only real option at this point would be a full blown "Xbox Tablet" powered by Windows 8. And that thing wouldn't be $60.

Anybody else find out about the Gamecube from this Nintendo Power cover:

np_v150.jpg

My parents would always take me this Italian restaurant in the town over and when we waited for our food I would go next door to the A&P and read gaming magazines. I saw that cover and went "What the fuuuuuuuuuuucccccck"

botty

Banned
I don't know if you guys discussed this yet, but do you think the Batman 2/DC Lego game is basically a prototype to the open world Lego City stories?

They seem very similar in concept, aside from the super hero aesthetics.

I hope the next Zelda doesn't stray far from Skyward Sword aesthetically. The painterly style could look great in HD. In fact it looks pretty great running on Dolphin.

Redford

aka Cabbie
"Down the line"? Sure. We're talking 360 here, though. You know, the system that will be succeeded in 20 months or something. Also, the Xbox has no realtime video encoder hardware and doesn't come standard with sufficiently fast WLAN, which means that a zero client approach most likely wouldn't really work to begin with.

There are two other things to consider: a) A tablet would be at odds with Microsoft's Kinect vision. b) Microsoft has a mobile OS to push. So their only real option at this point would be a full blown "Xbox Tablet" powered by Windows 8. And that thing wouldn't be $60.

My bad. I assumed the 720 because I imagine that will be where their "media-hub vision" becomes most apparent. Thanks for the other points, though.

Edit: And to be fair, you said "nobody would buy it", not "MS wouldn't/can't make it."

Emitan

Anybody else find out about the Gamecube from this Nintendo Power cover:

np_v150.jpg

My parents would always take me this Italian restaurant in the town over and when we waited for our food I would go next door to the A&P and read gaming magazines. I saw that cover and went "What the fuuuuuuuuuuucccccck"

I still remember this issue. I don't think I have my old Nintendo powers anymore ;~:

Wind Waker style would be a PR disaster for Nintendo trying to show their machines power.

They obviously wouldn't go with Wind Waker's exact style, but I could see stylised happening again. Crazy environment effects, particles, beautiful animation and toon shading in crisp HD would make people shit themselves with joy every bit as much as that Ghoma / Shelob style demo.

MDX

Yeah, MS is not going to make a tablet controller.
They will, through Windows 8, allow tablets to interact to a degree with their console.

J-Rock

Banned
Damn, I really want another game that uses a Wind Waker art style on the Wii U. Doesn't have to be a Zelda game. Would just love to see how that style would evolve with more power and some tasty HD.

HylianTom

Banned
If Nintendo Power still came with a decent subscription bonus, I'd be there in a heartbeat.

I mean, Collector's Edition Zelda?! Such a magnificent, incredible subscription bonus.

I was really afraid of the dark/being alone in my room when I was a kid so I would stay up until all hours of the night and read Nintendo Power in my bathroom with the shower light on. It was really comforting actually. Childhood <3

Honestly, I'm more worried about what art style will be chosen than how technically good it'll look.

I'm somewhat in the middle. Really any art direction will look nice as long as there is enough power to pull off what they are doing. Take Skyward Sword for instance, I think its style suffered a bit from low-poly geometry, no bump mapping, and poor lighting. It looked great, but it could have been much better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom