• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wii U Speculation Thread VI: The Undiscovered Country

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Plural?

So, Mario Kart Wii U... and F-Zero somewhere? Monster Games isn't First Party, is it?

I just want to make this clear. I only know of one Wii U game in development. Like somebody told me it existed two months ago. Anything other than that is my expert calculations based on the fact that one of my hobbies is tracking and detailing Nintendo staff (patents, credits, interviews, japanese stuff, etc).

Monster Games isn't first party.

Sure they. They are a first-party developer. For the time being anyway. All their games are developed for a first-party publisher. Anything else is semantics.

disco

Man their staff is awful.

lol.

Lol! People are so naive. Do they not know anything about Nintendo? If Nintendo were to design a mature FPS IP they would never 'clone' something. I have a strong feeling Retro is in charge of a new mature FPS/Adventure IP and it'll be different, quirky and overall - intelligent. No overdone cliches for Nintendo, they're too honorable to simply plagiarise.

For example look what they tried with Geist and succeeded with Metroid. They want to go down their own individual path that sets them apart and hopefully leads them to their own success. Without risks and pushing boundaries Nintendo wouldn't be who they are today.

Edit: Great video WiiRevolution1. Thanks!

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
I just want to make this clear. I only know of one Wii U game in development. Like somebody told me it existed two months ago. Anything other than that is my expert calculations based on the fact that one of my hobbies is tracking and detailing Nintendo staff (patents, credits, interviews, japanese stuff, etc)..

Any rumblings on Miyamoto's "new IP"?

I know a first-party Wii U game in development. Not an obvious one. But something mentioned a few times. Not Mario or Zelda or Pokemon related.

Outside of that you can propose which teams are lined up to release something. I have a pretty good guess of the nature of some of these projects. But there are also some important questions I can not answer.

But. I have mentioned this. And I think it is a very important thing. Dual releases of several big ips with possible connectivity features. We first heard about it with Smash Bros, now it seems like it is happening with New Super Mario Bros, and it may continue with Animal Crossing and other BIG ips.
Sorry, couple pages behind, but just wanted to say it has to be Smash Bros. Sakurai was simustanilaly (Pardon my sepling) working on Smash and Kid Icarus. And you mention dual releases so Smash Wii U and 3DS this year confirmed.

I am hyped now!
I actually believe this is possible.

Thraktor

Damn, I missed that. Well then ill change my guess to warioware!

I think Warioware games actually sell pretty well (certainly more than enough to cover dev costs). Also, anyone guessing Fire Emblem will be disappointed. Intelligent Systems have been busy working on FE 3DS and Paper Mario 3DS for the past couple of years. They don't have the resources to have been developing a full-scale Wii U game at the same time.

I actually believe this is possible.

It's not possible

Neiteio

What mystery game? The first-party game I know is in development? No. But I do think you will see a couple of first-party racing games announced for Wii U and 3DS at e3.
Yeah, that's what I meant (first-party mystery game). So the particular title you know about is -not- a racing game. It's not a racing game, and it's not a Mario, Zelda or Pokemon title, and it's an IP that historically hasn't set the charts on fire. Surely you don't mean Pikmin 3, since that's already known and confirmed.

Hmm... That makes me think Star Fox, perhaps. I don't suppose you could give us another clue. You graciously ruled out Wave Race and F-Zero with that last hint. :)

Portugeezer

untitled1111-2ucyiw.gif

More hype

I'm with the first part of the Nikole prediction on the G4 article. I want them to blow me away but I can't escape the feeling in the back of my mind that it might be underwhelming in terms of convincing me I need to buy a whole new console just to have the exclusive content they are possibly offering.

My stance is (very) cautiously optimistic!

Linkhero1

I'm with the first part of the Nikole prediction on the G4 article. I want them to blow me away but I can't escape the feeling in the back of my mind that it might be underwhelming in terms of convincing me I need to buy a whole new console just to have the exclusive content they are possibly offering.

I feel the same way. I need to see the content before I can go ahead and say "Oh...this is a must at launch."

Linkhero1

Cawwm on. We know Pikmin 3 and NSMB are coming. And some Mii Social games from the Wii Sports Resort / Wii Music teams.

Well, I just assumed it's Pikmin 3 since you didn't mention it in your post. All signs now point to Star Fox. I can't say it would sell me on the system, but I'll wait and see how it turns out.

Pocks

Rob Manuel

Miyamoto’s downloadable dream team. Nintendo wouldn’t just allow one of their biggest stars to say that he’s looking into working with smaller teams if they didn’t already have something set up for him to work on. Forget launching Wii U with Mario or Zelda. Give me a dozen titles from the man who made my childhood that I can download to the new system or the 3DS.
That was the only interesting commentary from that article.

Neiteio

Well, I just assumed it's Pikmin 3 since you didn't mention it in your post. All signs now point to Star Fox. I can't say it would sell me on the system, but I'll wait and see how it turns out.
I want to think it's Star Fox. Can we rule out Fire Emblem? Fire Emblem must sell well to keep getting so many sequels, and we know this mystery title is not a hot-selling IP. I take it we can also rule out Luigi's Mansion, since that's a Mario property. What about Yoshi? Advance Wars? Golden Sun? Geist? Or...

Eternal Darkness.

Linkhero1

I want to think it's Star Fox. Can we rule out Fire Emblem? Fire Emblem must sell well to keep getting so many sequels, and we know this mystery title is not a hot-selling IP. I take it we can also rule out Luigi's Mansion, since that's a Mario property. What about Yoshi? Advance Wars? Golden Sun? Geist? Or...

Eternal Darkness.

I thought about Eternal Darkness, but that one was mentioned way too many times. Now that I think about it, Luigi's Mansion isn't out yet. They will probably make a Wii U version and make some sort of connectivity between the 3DS and Wii U version.

Thraktor

The crazy thing is that, even though I've spent a year speculating in these threads, I still have basically no more idea than I did a year ago about what we're actually going to see on Tuesday. Of course there's going to be Assassin's Creed 3 and Black Ops 2 and soforth, but the really interesting stuff will be Nintendo's own games, and outside of Pikmin 3, I don't have a damned clue what they're going to show. This basically guarantees that it's going to be an exciting show for me because, if nothing else, I'm going to see a bunch of new, unexpected Nintendo games, and any cool third party games or system features will be icing on the cake.

The crazy thing is that, even though I've spent a year speculating in these threads, I still have basically no more idea than I did a year ago about what we're actually going to see on Tuesday. Of course there's going to be Assassin's Creed 3 and Black Ops 2 and soforth, but the really interesting stuff will be Nintendo's own games, and outside of Pikmin 3, I don't have a damned clue what they're going to show. This basically guarantees that it's going to be an exciting show for me because, if nothing else, I'm going to see a bunch of new, unexpected Nintendo games, and any cool third party games or system features will be icing on the cake.
indeed. The ball is in Nintendo's court. Some people are expecting the worse, some people are expecting something good, no one really knows what they'll show. They have the opportunity to blow everyone away. Problem is whether or not they'll run with it, or not live up to it. Guess we will see...so few days left.

japtor

Personally I think the soundtrack (character themes) was a huge waste of money, awesome as it was. No idea why they created like 40-something songs only to lock them away in a pilot profile menu.

I don't recall any marketing for the game, at least in the United States. I used to watch a lot of kid/teen-focused TV back then and never saw an ad for it. I impulse bought it while browsing my local Rhino Games, having no clue of its existence before hand. "X was good, I guess I'll pick this up", I said. What followed was months of racing game perfection. That game did not fucking leave my Gamecube for a very long time.
Yeah for all they put into the game itself they barely advertised it here. I found two commercials on YouTube, one was a short teaser from early on before it came out which I remembered, while I don't remember ever seeing the other one at all.
F-Zero would flippty flop, period

and if AMusement Vision makes it, it would still be amazing
Amusement Vision doesn't exist anymore, pretty much all the teams from those days were dismantled and reorganized into generic numbered teams a few years back iirc.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者

You absolutely do.

NSMB team (2009) ---> NSMB Mii, NSMB 2
Wii Sports Resort Team (2009) ----> Mii Something and another Mii Something?
Big Brain Academy (2007) / New Play Control Pikmin (2008) -----------? Pikmin 3
Animal Crossing Team -----> More Animal Crossing

EAD Tokyo Group No. 1 ------> Mysterious Project??
EAD Tokyoi Group No. 2-----> This is the galaxy team.. and you will have to wait to see something. Too much mario from the guys above.
Nintendo SPD / Wii Relax -------> It lives????
Nintendo SPD / WarioWare --------> Maybe?????

RetroStudios ---------> Probably Metroid Prime.. without the Metroid and more sales
NST -----------> A game for 3DS or Wii U

And more first-party games from other developers ;)

Instro

Honestly I don't want to know what game Shikimaru is talking about. Save all surprises for E3 at this point, although I hope he tells us which game it is after its announced.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I really doubt all of Int Sys is working on Paper Mario 3DS.

Also there is the Sony style Unannounced HD title from Monolith Soft.

I think Retro is working on something furry.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
Based on Shikamaru Ninja's information that it will not be a racing game, and also based on his statement that a game developed for Nintendo is considered first party even if it's developed externally, along with the rest of the information he has so graciously given us about this mystery title, here is my conclusion:

Battalion Wars 3 for Wii U developed by Headstrong, perhaps with some help from another developer or possibly an internal team within Nintendo to make sure the game shines and is able to improve upon the first two.

This may or may not release along side a new Advance Wars for 3DS with some kind of connectivity between the 2 games.

If you think about it, it makes sense. We know Nintendo has wanted to continue exploring this franchise (there was a medieval spinoff in development at Headstrong, at Nintendo's request, before they shifted gears to the whole casual thing) and we also agree Wii U has a lot of potential for Strategy games. Add to that the fact that it is a fairly western-oriented franchise that has so far failed to achieve mainstream success and it would appear like a good fit.

To be honest I really wanted to like BWii but there were several things holding it back from greatness, not the least of which was online communication. Still, the fundamental idea of adapting Advance Wars into a console RTS is a good one, and many of the ideas already seen in the first two games are good enough to be keepers. You can also tell by the production quality that this is a franchise Nintendo want to see grow.

My $0.02

antonz

IGN posted its Pre E3 Nintendo podcast. Large list of guests but cant bring myself to listen

http://wii.ign.com/articles/122/1224945p1.html

Audrey "It's Seriously Not a Thing!" Drake
Rich "Papa Koopa" George
Sam "BAM!" Claiborn.

Other guest podcasters include:

Brian "Bringing Brappy Back" Altano
Keza "Pip Pip" MacDonald
Fran "DON'T TOUCH THE HAIR" Mirabella
Peer "Hylian Hero" Schneider
Jeremy "1Up Overlord" Parish
Mike "Watch Cheap, Cool, Crazy on START!" Zipkin
Andrew "The Soup-inator" Goldfarb