• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wii U turned 9 today - Happy Birthday Wii U, Happy Birthday Wii U!

for my money, Wii U was the best console of its gen. While ppl on Playstation/Xbox were busy playing garbage like Knack & Ryse: son of rome. We had Super Mario 3D World, Splatoon, Wonderful 101, Bayonetta 2, Mario Maker, Shovel Knight.

we had miiverse, which was more interesting than any feature on XB1/PS4.

Ceadeus

Ah i remember my post on miiverse getting removed..

i was spamming shit games with nintendo’s official seal of shovelware emblems.

5bQqVYR.jpg

And this gem
What, you're not that guy right?

Vandole

I can't really claim I'll miss the Wii U, but I will always lament the deactivation of the Miiverse. Sharing screenshots and having conversations about old NES games as I played them with strangers was ridiculously fun. I will miss that. I mean, I never expected to make a friend because we both played Solomon's key, but it happened.

Anyway, these days my Wii U is used for when the ocean and as a party game machine. There's still some good mini game collections on it so it does get used when friends visit.

LordOfChaos

Wild that it's been dead for about 5 years longer than it was alive. I'd be pissed if I bought it full price during its lifetime.

They could have kept giving it whatever it could get like the PS4/XBO/PS3/360 all did, but nope, just a hard cutoff. It's a bit of a shame that they got the BoTW engine working on it to only ever have one game running on it for the Wii U.

As an unsupported afterlife, it's pretty good though. It's swiss cheese, so homebrew and whatever away. I'm keeping mine for a long time, if it potentially becomes a collectors item cool. I hope it gets the Dreamcast treatment where the homebrew community keeps new games coming out for it for years to come, and even starts tapping into the GPU, the SDK is completely leaked.

Last edited:

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
That's kind of crazy - it's been nine years?

Anyway, the WiiU was a dumb system with some of Nintendo's best games ever. I got it a year after launch, and absolutely loved it. Nintendo was at their absolute peak in developing polished, fun games. Really hate what they've turned into with the Switch.

Legendary RPG. The kind of game you don't see often, and you probably won't see again before very long. Such a unique proposal. A true masterpiece, with a vision behind it.
It’s that good, is it? I have like 3 copies I got on clearance still sealed, maybe i’ll crack one open.

I always thought it looked really impressive,the scale and all. But got the impression it was bloated

Wild that it's been dead for about 5 years longer than it was alive. I'd be pissed if I bought it full price during its lifetime.

They could have kept giving it whatever it could get like the PS4/XBO/PS3/360 all did, but nope, just a hard cutoff. It's a bit of a shame that they got the BoTW engine working on it to only ever have one game running on it for the Wii U.

As an unsupported afterlife, it's pretty good though. It's swiss cheese, so homebrew and whatever away. I'm keeping mine for a long time, if it potentially becomes a collectors item cool. I hope it gets the Dreamcast treatment where the homebrew community keeps new games coming out for it for years to come, and even starts tapping into the GPU, the SDK is completely leaked.
I never got the feeling I was cheated and i've bought 2 wii u's at full price lol. I already felt satisfied after bayonetta 2, pikmin 3, mario 3d world, W101, tropical freeze. It had a really good 1st 2 years for exclusives.

WoJ

Count me in the group that loves the Wii U. I bought mine late in its life cycle but its a damn fine little console. I understand the hate it gets because during it's life cycle I imagine it was quite barren. But buying it late in its life cycle there is a fantastic library. I still need to homebrew mine to really expand it.

fart town usa

Gold Member
It’s that good, is it? I have like 3 copies I got on clearance still sealed, maybe i’ll crack one open.

I always thought it looked really impressive,the scale and all. But got the impression it was bloated
Yea dude, XBX is amazing. It's super campy and the OST annoys lots of people but all the weirdness about the game works for me. The game is massive, it's gonna take me years to finish but it's fun that way. Tons of exploring, lots of optional quests that carry the bulk of the character progression, and main missions add some cool twists and turns. It's an insanely impressive console game and even more impressive considering it's exclusive to the Wii U.

Went to visit family over the weekend, stopped by Disc Replay and snagged some Wii U titles.

Mass Effect 3, COD: Ghosts, NSMB U/Luigi U.

I actually really like and still have my Wii U. The only reason I won't get rid of it is that I have good nes, snes, and n64 games downloaded from their Eshop that I do not want to lose because the Nintendo games on the Switch are locked behind a online only rental service.

That and I have games on it that have not been ported to the Switch. If they would at least fix that last part I could consider getting rid of it.

Xenoblade Chronicles X, Wind Waker HD, Twilight Princess HD.
There is also my gamecube and wii games as well that I do not want to lose:
Fire Emblem Path of Radiance, Fire Emblem Radiant Dawn, Dragon Quest Swords: The Masked Queen and the Tower of Mirrors, No More Heroes 1, Phantasy Star Online 1 and 2 plus, and Skies of Arcadia Legends.

For all the complaints I see from people mocking Skyward Sword HD over "greed", They can't be that greedy if they aren't porting their other successful cube, wii, and wii u games to the Switch because I would throw money at them all over again if it meant more physical copies of these games and a better eshop that features older Nintendo games that can be purchased without needing an online connection. One price for game instead of 20 and 50 dollar rental memberships.

Last edited:

cireza

Banned

The simple fact that you have to buy your own robots, that they cost a ton of money, that they have insurance... That you have to invest in companies that produce gears and weapons, and they can sponsor you etc... Creating networks around the world to extract ore and get resources... World building is very impressive.

Not everything is perfect, but they had a vision of what they wanted to do, and it was not cemented into things that already exist. They said "fuck it" to a collision engine, in order to gain the absurd scaling you have for the world. It means that combat is "click based", so it is a strong constraint, but we would have never got the same world without this.

It is packed with features and stuff, it is definitely overwhelming, but it is like studying a new world that you have available in your hands, and can get into at your own rhythm. After 50 hours I have uncovered around 60% the map and only recently got the ability to fly. And as it is a Wii U game, you have a fantastic manual available through the console. Super useful.

This is an innovative AAA game with its own ideas. Quite a rare breed nowadays... Xenoblade 1 & 2 look like poop compared to this, in my opinion. And Chronicles X actually runs on a real home console, so you don't have to endure the blurry mess that Xenoblade 2 is on Switch...

Last edited:
The simple fact that you have to buy your own robots, that they cost a ton of money, that they have insurance... That you have to invest in companies that produce gears and weapons, and they can sponsor you etc... Creating networks around the world to extract ore and get resources... World building is very impressive.

Not everything is perfect, but they had a vision of what they wanted to do, and it was not cemented into things that already exist. They said "fuck it" to a collision engine, in order to gain the absurd scaling you have for the world. It means that combat is "click based", so it is a strong constraint, but we would have never got the same world without this.

It is packed with features and stuff, it is definitely overwhelming, but it is like studying a new world that you have available in your hands, and can get into at your own rhythm. After 50 hours I have uncovered around 60% the map and only recently got the ability to fly. And as it is a Wii U game, you have a fantastic manual available through the console. Super useful.

This is an innovative AAA game with its own ideas. Quite a rare breed nowadays... Xenoblade 1 & 2 look like poop compared to this, in my opinion. And Chronicles X actually runs on a real home console, so you don't have to endure the blurry mess that Xenoblade 2 is on Switch...
I agree with you that xenoblade 2 is a step down graphically and never really impressed me the way that Xenoblade X presentations did.

I played 2 on the switch for a bit and it’s the blurry Temporal AA that’s a problem and the art is all over the place. Also I hated the characters lol.

Come to think of it I was super excited for X before it came out, I think I should have played it a long time ago.

Last edited:

fart town usa

Gold Member
Happy birthday to the console that nearly threw nintendo out of the race! (if not for the 3ds to coast on)

Well nothing was ever going to beat the virtual boy for worst, thats a given.
If you're basing the quality of a console entirely on sales then yea, Wii U was an abject failure. Look at the software for it though, some of Nintendo's best of all time and helped the Switch become the powerhouse that it is. It doesn't make sense when people shit on the Wii U but then proceed to buy Wii U ports on the Switch.

Sales don't equal quality. Wii U is in the same boat as Dreamcast and Sega Saturn and everyone recognizes those consoles as absolute classics. The argument that the Wii U flat out sucked doesn't hold water. It's fine if you don't like it but at least recognize that the console has some absolute gems on it. A soft-modded Wii U is a God-Tier console, there's no denying that.

I was playing Mass Effect 3 in bed last night and was comfy as shit. Come at me bro.

Codes 208

If you're basing the quality of a console entirely on sales then yea, Wii U was an abject failure. Look at the software for it though, some of Nintendo's best of all time and helped the Switch become the powerhouse that it is. It doesn't make sense when people shit on the Wii U but then proceed to buy Wii U ports on the Switch.

Sales don't equal quality. Wii U is in the same boat as Dreamcast and Sega Saturn and everyone recognizes those consoles as absolute classics. The argument that the Wii U flat out sucked doesn't hold water. It's fine if you don't like it but at least recognize that the console has some absolute gems on it. A soft-modded Wii U is a God-Tier console, there's no denying that.

I was playing Mass Effect 3 in bed last night and was comfy as shit. Come at me bro.
It helped the switch become the powerhouse it was because the switch is what the wii u should have been. The wii u was like a midstep between the wii and switch

AndrewRyan

I wanted a Wii U pretty much throughout its entire life but the price was never a good value for me. Every time they cut the price it was still at least $50 too expensive.

I do deny that, because not only were there not enough games, but the hardware was also TERRIBLE.

It did have some gems. They were rare, like gems are.

DarkTom

One of my favorite gaming system. I thought people would call me nuts, but I see I am not the only one !

Comfy controllers, the king of local multiplayer (nintendo land, game and wario's Artwork, mario kart 8, 8-player Smash), some amazing games (W101, zelda BOTW, Pikmin 3, Mass Effect 3, DK...) and the off-tv play to keep playing when family is using the TV. Also Miiverse.

If it was not for Ring Fit, I would still not have a Switch and have this thing plugged in.

fart town usa

Gold Member
Bro I played all the hits since the NES, and rebought pretty much every worthwhile Wii U game on the Switch. Still a dud of a console.

Do you rank it highly compared with other Nintendo consoles?
Don't take my posts too seriously, I made the thread as a joke mostly.

Honestly, I rank the Wii U higher than the GCN, even though the GCN has a better software library (I really dislike the GCN controller). I know that sounds dumb but I just like the Wii U and all the random features it has. I think the gamepad is super comfy, I like that I can play Wii games directly on the gamepad, the 480p screen makes Wii games look great. It works well in my house; I can leave it in the living room and play it upstairs in bed with no connectivity issues. I like dual screen aspect that some games have. Even Starfox Zero is great when I'm in the zone. Sometimes the game feels like shit, other times my brain is on point and everything works well. It's just a console that I connected with really hard. Can't quite explain it as it's unique to me. I totally get why some people don't like it though. Playing the Wii U for me is just a super peaceful, relaxing, and warm vibe. lol.

The download management music is basically how I feel when I play the Wii U.

Last edited:

Unk Adams

Banned
The games were so good that they're still being re-released years later for $60 a piece! The online multiplayer was also completely free! The main problem was that it was hurt by its main gimmick (the tablet controller was worthless outside of a few games such as Kirby and made playing regular games uncomfortable because of how bulky it is).

Top Bottom