• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings |OT| Plough 'Em All

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zefah

Gold Member
Jan 7, 2007
42,472
20,716
1,635
subversus said:
hahahaha, I know why people find the ending weak. It's because there's no ending!

But the story concluded in a low-key, satisfying way for me.

BRING ON THE WITCHER 3!
What constitutes an ending, though? A long cut scene? For me, the epilogue was the ending.
 

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Oct 26, 2009
24,268
0
0
Zefah said:
What constitutes an ending, though? A long cut scene? For me, the epilogue was the ending.
all loose ends tied up and cut - that's the ending. Basically, the ending is something that makes you want to stop playing this game because you don't need to know what's next - there's no "next".

I want to know what happens to the northern kingdoms. I want to know what happens to a lot of characters. The first Witcher had very strong and conclusive ending. This one feels like Pirates of Carribean: part 2.
 

Riposte

Member
Sep 21, 2010
27,718
0
640
videogames?
twitter.com
Salaadin said:
I have no idea how serious you are but its cracking me up. Good show :p
It is not the most important deal in the world, but the game is definitely at its best on Hard(and in Chapter 1/early Chapter 2). By the time the second playthrough comes around you've played so long that you basically know everything, so it is easier. Given how small the sweetspot for Witcher 2's combat system, it is a shame to miss it.
 

Salaadin

Member
Apr 5, 2009
11,718
0
805
35
Pennsylvania
Riposte said:
It is not the most important deal in the world, but the game is definitely at its best on Hard(and in Chapter 1/early Chapter 2). By the time the second playthrough comes around you've played so long that you basically know everything, so it is easier. Given how small the sweetspot for Witcher 2's combat system, it is a shame to miss it.
What are the differences on Hard mode? Usual stuff? Enemies have more hp, you have less. They do more damage, you do less?
 

MickeyKnox

Member
Jul 21, 2006
11,816
1
1,040
New York City
www.inkandpressure.com
subversus said:
all loose ends tied up and cut - that's the ending. Basically, the ending is something that makes you want to stop playing this game because you don't need to know what's next - there's no "next".

I want to know what happens to the northern kingdoms. I want to know what happens to a lot of characters. The first Witcher had very strong and conclusive ending. This one feels like Pirates of Carribean: part 2.
It concluded the left over threads from Witcher 1 (Phillipa, the witcher assassin and Geralt's memory) the driving thread of this game (Kingslayer) and opened up new threads for future games.

I think people are confusing not being able to get enough of this awesome world with a weak ending.

It's exactly how a novel in an ongoing fantasy series would end
 

How About No

Member
May 29, 2009
14,745
1
0
www.artstation.com
The hell? I can't move. For some reason, the game won't recognize anything from my keyboard except going to the menu. And just before that, I could only use the keyboard, but not the mouse. What. The. Fuck?
 

Salaadin

Member
Apr 5, 2009
11,718
0
805
35
Pennsylvania
How About No said:
The hell? I can't move. For some reason, the game won't recognize anything from my keyboard except going to the menu. And just before that, I could only use the keyboard, but not the mouse. What. The. Fuck?
Create a new save, leave the game, come back and load up that save.
 

v0mitg0d

Member
Jan 13, 2011
1,092
63
720
www.youtube.com
Whoops! I think this question got lost on the last page, hope you don't mind me reposting it:

Do the side quests lead the player to unique areas outside of the main quests path or are the goals of these side quests always within in the path of the main quest?


edit: Grammar :(
 

Red

Member
Feb 16, 2008
23,704
2
0
Finally got some old screenshots uploaded to my Steam profile. The first, an example of why bloom should immediately be turned off:


And the second, a weird bug I've been running into repeatedly. People's bodies are disappearing:


Anyone else run into this? I tried validating files through Steam, then deleting and redownloading the game, but I'm having the same problem. I have characters moving around that are just floating heads.
 

Salaadin

Member
Apr 5, 2009
11,718
0
805
35
Pennsylvania
Crunched said:
Finally got some old screenshots uploaded to my Steam profile. The first, an example of why bloom should immediately be turned off:

Anyone else run into this? I tried validating files through Steam, then deleting and redownloading the game, but I'm having the same problem. I have characters moving around that are just floating heads.
The disappearing bodies reminds me of an issue I had in Risen. I think I fixed it by turning off AA in CCC. Might want to try that.
 

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Oct 26, 2009
24,268
0
0
Damn, I feel a bit sad.

When I was waiting for TW2 last month I felt like games don't really satisfy me anymore. There is no challenge, there are too many "gamey" elements and handholding, story often feels like it was written by a writer who thinks too much about an audience and not enough about writing a good story. Simply most stories in games aren't mature enough (with exception of Take Two games). When I was exploring game mechanics story didn't matter to me, but since most american developers fail to innovate and make games which are more than just "fun" fodder I can't look past a weak plot like I'm not able to look past a weak story in most Hollywood blockbusters.

I was thinking The Witcher 2 will be the last game I'll play and then I move my controller to the closet and use PC for work only. And it feels like it.

I wanted a game where you can die in dialogues - check
I wanted a game where "branching story" actually means a lot of content and locations tied to your choices not just a few lines of dialogue.
I actually had an idea about the scene where your cellmate will be blinded - AND THIS SCENE WAS IN THE GAME.


I didn't hope that The Witcher 2 will be exactly this game. It fullfilled all my expectations and did some things which I thought won't be possible in HD generation.

And now I don't want to play anything worse than that.

The only game which I still look forward to is Deus Ex. I haven't played Red Dead Redemption yet. Also Bioshock Infinite. Mmmmm.... And Arkham City. But seriously it's hard to go back to usual stuff. I think I might replay The Witcher 2 instead.
 

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
Apr 11, 2007
3,173
766
1,460
32
subversus said:
Damn, I feel a bit sad.

When I was waiting for TW2 last month I felt like games don't really satisfy me anymore. There is no challenge, there are too many "gamey" elements and handholding, story often feels like it was written by a writer who thinks too much about an audience and not enough about writing a good story. Simply most stories in games aren't mature enough (with exception of Take Two games). When I was exploring game mechanics story didn't matter to me, but since most american developers fail to innovate and make games which are more than just "fun" fodder I can't look past a weak plot like I'm not able to look past a weak story in most Hollywood blockbusters.

I was thinking The Witcher 2 will be the last game I'll play and then I move my controller to the closet and use PC for work only. And it feels like it.

I wanted a game where you can die in dialogues - check
I wanted a game where "branching story" actually means a lot of content and locations tied to your choices not just a few lines of dialogue.
I actually had an idea about the scene where your cellmate will be blinded - AND THIS SCENE WAS IN THE GAME.


I didn't hope that The Witcher 2 will be exactly this game. It fullfilled all my expectations and did some things which I thought won't be possible in HD generation.

And now I don't want to play anything worse than that.

The only game which I still look forward to is Deus Ex. I haven't played Red Dead Redemption yet. Also Bioshock Infinite. Mmmmm.... And Arkham City. But seriously it's hard to go back to usual stuff. I think I might replay The Witcher 2 instead.
I understand where you are coming from...I think.

While I play a lot of games, the satisfaction that I used to get from playing them, has gone down. Games that make me want to play more and more and continuously, are rare. But this year has been good. Portal 2 was one such. Bulletstorm was decent in this regard too. And finally, The Witcher 2 is turning out one such game. I cant put it down, its so satisfying. When I am not playing it, I get excited at the prospect of playing it, which is really rare for me these days.
I too am looking forward to Deus Ex: Human revolution. Other than that, for some reason I feel that Rage, uncharted 3, Skyrim will be other games that will make me excited just the way TW2 does.
 

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Oct 26, 2009
24,268
0
0
kittoo said:
I too am looking forward to Deus Ex: Human revolution. Other than that, for some reason I feel that Rage, uncharted 3, Skyrim will be other games that will make me excited just the way TW2 does.
yes, Bulletstorm was a great game with a good story, I haven't played Portal 2 yet and I'll buy Skyrim GOTY edition. There are some good games I just don't need to buy something like Red Faction, Brink and so on. I'm also interested in L.A. Noire but I heard that you can't fail at this game and that's a huge part of experience to me.

Actually I think I'll buy Demon's Souls to spend time until Deus Ex is released.
 

Riposte

Member
Sep 21, 2010
27,718
0
640
videogames?
twitter.com
subversus said:
Damn, I feel a bit sad.

When I was waiting for TW2 last month I felt like games don't really satisfy me anymore. There is no challenge, there are too many "gamey" elements and handholding, story often feels like it was written by a writer who thinks too much about an audience and not enough about writing a good story. Simply most stories in games aren't mature enough (with exception of Take Two games). When I was exploring game mechanics story didn't matter to me, but since most american developers fail to innovate and make games which are more than just "fun" fodder I can't look past a weak plot like I'm not able to look past a weak story in most Hollywood blockbusters.

I was thinking The Witcher 2 will be the last game I'll play and then I move my controller to the closet and use PC for work only. And it feels like it.

I wanted a game where you can die in dialogues - check
I wanted a game where "branching story" actually means a lot of content and locations tied to your choices not just a few lines of dialogue.
I actually had an idea about the scene where your cellmate will be blinded - AND THIS SCENE WAS IN THE GAME.


I didn't hope that The Witcher 2 will be exactly this game. It fullfilled all my expectations and did some things which I thought won't be possible in HD generation.

And now I don't want to play anything worse than that.

The only game which I still look forward to is Deus Ex. I haven't played Red Dead Redemption yet. Also Bioshock Infinite. Mmmmm.... And Arkham City. But seriously it's hard to go back to usual stuff. I think I might replay The Witcher 2 instead.
Given what you've said, I am surprised you are anticipating Bioshock Infinite and Arkham City. At least in the hand-holding aspect. (Going on my impressions of their predecessors.)
 

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Oct 26, 2009
24,268
0
0
Riposte said:
Given what you've said, I am surprised you are anticipating Bioshock Infinite and Arkham City. At least in the hand-holding aspect. (Going on my impressions of their predecessors.)
Well, Arkham Asylum had good challenging combat and I played Bioshock without vita-chambers. Still difficulty isn't the only thing that I appreciate in a game. A good story + deep interesting gameplay + great graphics - I don't want to spend my time on anything less than that anymore.

Damn, I forgot, I haven't finished Amnesia yet. Now this will be a hard one...
 

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Sep 1, 2006
58,818
1,105
1,755
-
Wow... 30 hours in... I'm now in chapter 2
and the introduction is AMAZING!!!!!!!!
 

Gully State

Member
Nov 11, 2007
14,888
0
0
California
Wait so for Chapter 1-
does defeating the kayran end chapter 1?
Or is there a longer quest line after that? I remember people saying that they got to level 11 after Chapter 1 but I've done just about every sidequest I've come across and I'm only level 9.
 

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Oct 26, 2009
24,268
0
0
Gully State said:
Wait so for Chapter 1-
does defeating the kayran end chapter 1?
Or is there a longer quest line after that? I remember people saying that they got to level 11 after Chapter 1 but I've done just about every sidequest I've come across and I'm only level 9.
yes, you'll continue. You're like 65-70% through.
 

Gully State

Member
Nov 11, 2007
14,888
0
0
California
Also, there's
there's this monk at the inn
in chapter 1
talking about a tablet that he can't translate. I can play dice with him but even after I beat him, he keeps saying I'm not worthy
. What is exactly is up with that?
 

Somtaaw

Banned
Dec 5, 2008
260
0
0
The witcher 2 is that good? everytime i go to Dragon age 2 forums is flooded with topics about how awesome The witcher 2 is.
 

JWong

Banned
Sep 15, 2009
13,365
0
0
Gully State said:
Also, there's
there's this monk at the inn
in chapter 1
talking about a tablet that he can't translate. I can play dice with him but even after I beat him, he keeps saying I'm not worthy
. What is exactly is up with that?
I think it's broken.
 

Echoplx

Member
Dec 31, 2010
5,840
0
0
Gully State said:
Also, there's
there's this monk at the inn
in chapter 1
talking about a tablet that he can't translate. I can play dice with him but even after I beat him, he keeps saying I'm not worthy
. What is exactly is up with that?
what's your win/lose ratio with him? I think you have to out do him in that regard but I'm not sure.
 

Luthos

Member
Sep 18, 2009
2,381
0
0
How come I can't seem to get my swordsmanship adrenaline finisher to kill more than one enemy? I thought it would grab up to 3 guys. But every time I use it, it only kills one person/monster, regardless of how many enemies are alive.
 

JWong

Banned
Sep 15, 2009
13,365
0
0
Somtaaw said:
The witcher 2 is that good? everytime i go to Dragon age 2 forums is flooded with topics about how awesome The witcher 2 is.
I worked on Dragon Age 2
as QA
, and I think Witcher 2 is mindblowingly better than DA2.

Though I still think DA2 is better than DAO. Many would disagree with me on that.
 

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Oct 26, 2009
24,268
0
0
Somtaaw said:
The witcher 2 is that good? everytime i go to Dragon age 2 forums is flooded with topics about how awesome The witcher 2 is.
why do you need to go to places like these?

and yes, Bioware now have very big boots to fill. I'm sure they'll fail, but I hope they'll manage to at least match CD Project.
 

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
Apr 11, 2007
3,173
766
1,460
32
Somtaaw said:
The witcher 2 is that good? everytime i go to Dragon age 2 forums is flooded with topics about how awesome The witcher 2 is.
I personally couldnt even finish the DA2 demo (even though I liked DA1 enough) and I am loving TW2 so much!
 

Enkidu

Member
May 8, 2005
2,596
0
1,125
Lund, Sweden
Luthos said:
How come I can't seem to get my swordsmanship adrenaline finisher to kill more than one enemy? I thought it would grab up to 3 guys. But every time I use it, it only kills one person/monster, regardless of how many enemies are alive.
It only seems to kill the ones that are close too you, so make sure the enemies aren't scattered around the area.
 

Exuro

Member
Jan 30, 2011
7,403
0
0
Luthos said:
How come I can't seem to get my swordsmanship adrenaline finisher to kill more than one enemy? I thought it would grab up to 3 guys. But every time I use it, it only kills one person/monster, regardless of how many enemies are alive.
It only does group finishers on humans.
 

luxarific

Nork unification denier
Feb 25, 2006
6,317
0
0
NoVA
Gully State said:
Also, there's
there's this monk at the inn
in chapter 1
talking about a tablet that he can't translate. I can play dice with him but even after I beat him, he keeps saying I'm not worthy
. What is exactly is up with that?
After you beat him, you're supposed to get a link to this website

Where you can get a discount on 11 Atari games from GOG.

Pretty lame, but then I supposed there needed to be something I disliked about the game.
 

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Oct 26, 2009
24,268
0
0
Luthos said:
I don't remember if I tried on humans, but that would make sense.

Because it sure isn't working on these harpies.
No, you can only kill one beast at a time. I haven't tried it on low-level creatures though.
 

Zefah

Gold Member
Jan 7, 2007
42,472
20,716
1,635
Somtaaw said:
The witcher 2 is that good? everytime i go to Dragon age 2 forums is flooded with topics about how awesome The witcher 2 is.
It's easily my game of the year at the moment. I also think that Dragon Age 2 was a very poor game, especially in comparison to Dragon Age: Origins, which I loved. Honestly, I probably wouldn't have even finished Dragon Age 2 if I had played The Witcher 2 first. The plot and presentation is ridiculous as is, but I don't think I would have been able to stand it at all if I had just finished the excellent The Witcher 2.
 

jim-jam bongs

Member
Dec 5, 2008
20,458
0
935
Emerald City
subversus said:
why do you need to go to places like these?

and yes, Bioware now have very big boots to fill. I'm sure they'll fail, but I hope they'll manage to at least match CD Project.
I don't think they'll even bother. More likely they'll just remove every RPG mechanic and make Dragon Age 3 a medieval dating sim.
 

Zeliard

Member
Apr 23, 2008
34,712
0
0
36
thetrin said:
If you're playing Iorveth's path, I 100% agree. FUCKING AWESOME.
Do the Roche people not get to experience that section? I figured the start of Chapter 2 would be the same for both sides before the inherently superior Iorveth crew splintered off to go to Vergen.
 

Tokubetsu

Member
Mar 1, 2005
26,041
0
1,410
32
Deep Underwater
soundcloud.com
Zeliard said:
Do the Roche people not get to experience that section? I figured the start of Chapter 2 would be the same for both sides before the inherently superior Iorveth crew splintered off to go to Vergen.
Roche doesn't give a fuck about your opinion. He's too busy punching people in the face and rolling out of large falls.
 

Castor Krieg

Banned
Dec 5, 2007
7,983
0
0
Warsaw
Zeliard said:
Do the Roche people not get to experience that section? I figured the start of Chapter 2 would be the same for both sides before the inherently superior Iorveth crew splintered off to go to Vergen.
The beginning of Chapter 2 is more or less the same, with different characters. Also, in Iorveth path
Prince Stennis survives and manages to reach Vergen
.
 

jim-jam bongs

Member
Dec 5, 2008
20,458
0
935
Emerald City
Zeliard said:
Do the Roche people not get to experience that section? I figured the start of Chapter 2 would be the same for both sides before the inherently superior Iorveth crew splintered off to go to Vergen.
It's exactly the same except that
there is no Draugir in the packs you need to fight when the wraiths stop the procession, and Dethmold is walking in the middle with his stave rather than owl-Phillipa floating over everyone. And obviously you head to the other side of the valley. Pretty sure that there is one extra stop too but I might be remembering that wrong.

Not sure if you've made it to the end of chapter 2 yet but
The Eternal Battle is identical regardless of which side you choose, which was disappointing but it really is such a spectacular sequence that I can see why they wouldn't want to have anyone miss it. And of course you learn some stuff about what happened at the battle.

Also: "TREBUCHETS!"

One thing about the end of chapter 2 (Iorveth) which I didn't understand was
why Geralt doesn't have the option to just leave after he loses track of Triss. You get dialogue options to say things which sound neutral but no option to leave them to their own devices. I guess it's like he says when he and Saskia are heading down to fight Dethmold, he's there for Zoltan.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.