• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings |OT| Plough 'Em All

Status
Not open for further replies.
Truant said:
The first time takes forever, but enjoy it while it lasts. It's not the same after you've finished it once, although it's cool to see what the other choices lead to.

The best part of TW1 is Chapter 4. Hope there are moments in TW2 that have small contained, yet very well written stories like that.

Completely agree. One of the best chapter's ever in a game for me.

Truant

1 first run through following my instincts and making decisions on the spot.
1 supercomplete run through being a super good guy, or as far as you can push that in TW1.
1 main quest run through being a douche.
1 main quest run through using the polish original cast.
1 semi full run through this christmas to catch up on story details.

LiK

Truant said:
1 first run through following my instincts and making decisions on the spot.
1 supercomplete run through being a super good guy, or as far as you can push that in TW1.
1 main quest run through being a douche.
1 main quest run through using the polish original cast.
1 semi full run through this christmas to catch up on story details.

my goodness...

is there NG+?

LiK

Truant said:
Not that I know of. Besides, I don't like NG+ runs. Feels weird to me.

earning money is tough so i had to ask.

didn't know TW2 would import saves. I guess i should've chosen a few decisions more seriously, lol...

Truant

Don't waste your money on weapons and armor. If you want to do more damage and whatnot, just invest in your character build instead. There are only a handful of worthwhile weapon upgrades in the game. The most notable, imo, is a sword you get in CH4. So yeah, spend your cash on other stuff.

Kyaw

Happy preloading at 0.00AM GMT from GoG, guys. I'm 1 hour behind.
Gonna do it in the morning and leave the computer on while i'm at school.

Minsc

Gold Member
Very nice OT indeed!

LiK said:
my goodness...

is there NG+?

There's insane difficulty mode... enemies have new tactics / ai, and you die once, it's over. Not recommended (at all) for first playthroughs.

Awesome OT. Crossing fingers that I get can this run at 30 FPS with the lowest settings on my year old M11x.

Isn't GOG releasing the first game for $5 tomorrow?

Kyaw

Reluctant-Hero said:
Awesome OT. Crossing fingers that I get can this run at 30 FPS with the lowest settings on my year old M11x.

Isn't GOG releasing the first game for $5 tomorrow?

Yup! :D
And preloading for TW2 in 1 hour from GoG.

Truant

Not recommended at all, period. The Witcher has some pretty clunky mechanics. The beauty lies in the story, the writing, the characters, the world, and the semi-open world aspect. Combat isn't bad, but it's not a game you play for skill.

LiK

Truant said:
Don't waste your money on weapons and armor. If you want to do more damage and whatnot, just invest in your character build instead. There are only a handful of worthwhile weapon upgrades in the game. The most notable, imo, is a sword you get in CH4. So yeah, spend your cash on other stuff.

got it. there was a leather armor in Chapter II that was 5,000 gold. insane...

i'm playing on Casual for the story only.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
There is no way I'll finish Dragon Age before this comes out. Not sure what I'll do because I'm kind of frothing at the mouth for this but if I play it, it's likely that going back to Dragon Age will suck.

1lm4l.png

claimed!

bengraven

Fantastic OP.

Also, I thought that elf in the trailers/previews was Yavinn, not a new character (Iorweth). I'm thankful for that now.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Dice said:
There is no way I'll finish Dragon Age before this comes out. Not sure what I'll do because I'm kind of frothing at the mouth for this but if I play it, it's likely that going back to Dragon Age will suck.

Heh, on the flip side, there is no way I'll finish Dragon Age complete before this comes out. At least it'll keep me entertained until TW2 is out.

it'll be refreshing to play a game with an interesting universe after a couple dozen hours of DA

Saige

I must do better.
Can’t wait, already pre-ordered from GOG

Still find it strange that a pc-only game does not support 16:10

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
My body and PC are ready. This is one of those games I'm insanely excited to completely destroy with my new rig.

This is pretty much my biggest game of the year.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Saige said:
Can’t wait, already pre-ordered from GOG

Still find it strange that a pc-only game does not support 16:10
But it supports 16:9, so I'm happy! At least by virtue of being a PC game, they can patch in 16:10 support soon after release.

Bizarre oversight, though.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Snuggler said:
it'll be refreshing to play a game with an interesting universe after a couple dozen hours of DA
I'm personally looking forward to no load times. I watched a video where he went from a building out the village, down a rocky path to a lake, through some forest and into a cave all without loading. Such a simple thing, but to see it actually done is amazing. And it all didn't look like shit, like MMOs.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Q: Will TW2 have native 16:10 support?

A: Not at launch, but there are plans to add it soon afterwards with a patch.
Uh, what? Guess I'm not buying it.

antonz

The greatest thing with the Witcher universe is it just seems more realistic for as real as dwarves,elves, monsters etc can be.

Fantasy settings always do the generic Dwarves hate elves etc but then kind awhitewash over it. Witcher throws that stuff right in your face the racism etc. The Player is actually treated like an adult in whats supposed to be an adult story.

LiK

antonz said:
The greatest thing with the Witcher universe is it just seems more realistic for as real as dwarves,elves, monsters etc can be.

Fantasy settings always do the generic Dwarves hate elves etc but then kind awhitewash over it. Witcher throws that stuff right in your face the racism etc. The Player is actually treated like an adult in whats supposed to be an adult story.

TW1 had some funny dialogue and is prolly the only medieval RPG where the characters would say "Abso-fucking-lutely" hehe

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
LiK said:
Well I'll buy it after the patch comes out. I've been burned on stuff like that before with other developers, and I've been burned on buying CD Projekt games day one.

sw1tch

Does the steam release really have achievements? because I don't see them on steam, where did you got the info?

Almighty

I can't wait. Playing though The Witcher right now to get ready. Good thing too as it seems I have forgotten most of the story from the first game.

Van Buren

Witcher 1 was my rpg of the year in 2007, which is saying something since 2007 saw the release of the fantastic MoTB as well.

I'm expecting Witcher 2 to blow away the competition this year. Can't wait to experience the game in 3D given its high-res textures.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Dance In My Blood said:
Uh, what? Guess I'm not buying it.

You'll be able to play with tiny black bars at the top and bottom, unless that's a huge deal for you.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
sw1tch said:
Does the steam release really have achievements? because I don't see them on steam, where did you got the info?

I don't have a specific link with CDP saying it, been it's been known for awhile. It doesn't show it on the Steam page, but it doesn't mention cloud saving or pad support either, meaning it's not up to date.

LiK

Snuggler said:
I don't have a specific link with CDP saying it, been it's been known for awhile. It doesn't show it on the Steam page, but it doesn't mention cloud saving or pad support either, meaning it's not up to date.

really? makes me almost wanna get the Steam ver even tho i preordered the retail CE...

Snuggler! You are awesome!

Q: Both TW2 and Fable 3 for PC come out on the same day. I don't know which one to buy, what should I do?
A: Get out.
Very nice.

Can't wait to pre-load. Will have it up and running for when I get back home with my retail CE at 9:30am, hopefully the DLC isn't a hassle to get going on the GOG version.

LiK said:
really? makes me almost wanna get the Steam ver even tho i preordered the retail CE...
Wait for a Steam sale for another replay.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I wanted one of the avatars in the OP but I figured someone would grab it and I hate having the same avatar as another user. I decided to crop one of my own.

thetrin

I'm actually really tempted to play this with a pad, having watched some of the gameplay. I'll probably try MKB and pad and see which works better for me.

Does anyone know if you can switch controls on the fly, or if you have to restart the game to do so?

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
I should start The Witcher 1 today, just so that I am ready when this comes out!
Cant wait!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom