• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings |OT| Plough 'Em All

Status
Not open for further replies.
The hi-res bug is the annoying fact that I have to dial down my desktop resolution a couple of notches or the game won't launch at all (in fullscreen)

Salaadin

scorpscarx said:
The hi-res bug is the annoying fact that I have to dial down my desktop resolution a couple of notches or the game won't launch at all (in fullscreen)
Minsc said:
The one where the game won't launch or crashes at launch if your resolution/dpi scaling is too high.

Wow, I didnt hear about that one. That seems like a relatively big bug. I hope a fix makes its way in this patch.

v0mitg0d

I've got a quick question for you fine folks in regards to the side quests.

How are they offered to the player? Does it vary? Or is it always via talking to towns people?

Also, do the side quests lead the player to unique areas outside of the main quests path or are the goals of these side quests always within in the path of the main quest?

Minsc

Gold Member
v0mitg0d said:
I've got a quick question for you fine folks in regards to the side quests.

How are they offered to the player? Does it vary? Or is it always via talking to towns people?

Also, do the side quests lead the player to unique areas outside of the main quests path or are the goals of these side quests always within in the path of the main quest?

This is an interesting question, I've not made it too far in Flotsam, but just logically speaking, most quests would have to be offered from talking to people (it's not like the rocks and crates are going to be asking you things). There are notice boards where you can pick up quests though.

People have said Chapter 2 can play out entirely differently depending on who you side with at the end of the first, you get an entire different set of quests and go to an entirely different location. I don't know if it's 15 hours worth of different gameplay, but it's substantial.

Minsc said:
People have said Chapter 2 can play out entirely differently depending on who you side with at the end of the first, you get an entire different set of quests and go to an entirely different location. I don't know if it's 15 hours worth of different gameplay, but it's substantial.

I'm nearing the end of Ch 2 and it's taken me a solid 10 - 15 hours. From what I understand the other path is completely different so it sounds like doing at least 2 different playthroughs is essential to see everything the game has to offer.

As for sidequests, I'm pretty sure everyone I've encountered so far started off in one of the town hubs. I don't remember stumbling into any of them outside of them.

v0mitg0d

Minsc said:
This is an interesting question, I've not made it too far in Flotsam, but just logically speaking, most quests would have to be offered from talking to people (it's not like the rocks and crates are going to be asking you things). There are notice boards where you can pick up quests though.

That's essentially what I was inferring, are side quests discovered beyond chatting with NPCs. Like a notice board, discovering an item on the ground, overhearing discussions on the other side of a wall--that kind of thing.

v0mitg0d said:
That's essentially what I was inferring, are side quests discovered beyond chatting with NPCs. Like a notice board, discovering an item on the ground, overhearing discussions on the other side of a wall--that kind of thing.

notice boards more often than not, occasionally you'll run into someone who gives you a quest if you talk to them.

sometimes you can stumble upon a quest while exploring if you find a quest item or some such.

Salaadin

toasty_T said:
notice boards more often than not, occasionally you'll run into someone who gives you a quest if you talk to them.

sometimes you can stumble upon a quest while exploring if you find a quest item or some such.

Yeah Ive come across a few quests out in the wild just exploring. I cant say for sure if these start with an NPC in town that I just missed or not though.

I remember finding the Ostmurk for the poison antidote among a few others.

However I did break a quest once by killing someone who was involved in something else I was doing at the time.

Domcorleone said:
how many of you are playing on hard? I am thinking about switching to hard...

I feel like a bit of a pussy, but I switched to easy from normal. Got a bit tired of getting gang raped by large packs of baddies.

L0st Id3ntity said:
If you're willing to extensively use signs and traps it's fine, especially with quicksaves.

how important is alchemy? I was thinking hard simply because I figured it would force me to implement more of a strategy before and during battles. Is that the case?

v0mitg0d

toasty_T said:

Great thanks.

Do the side quests lead the player to unique areas outside of the main quests path or are the goals of these side quests always within in the path of the main quest?

Combat has completely clicked for me on the 360 pad thanks to a few tips here. I mapped next spell/next item to left and right on the d-pad (sword drawing is the default- I can't remember who suggested it but it was on GAF) which works wonderfully now and does a lot to increase the flow of the game since I don't have to constantly jump into the radial menu to switch spells/items. Another thing that helped was to stop button mashing. CDPR steathily kept the rhythm sword combat that everyone hated in the sequel. Basically when you attack, you need to give Geralt a beat before hitting the next attack. It all strings together very smoothly once you do that. Before i found myself avoiding heavy attack b/c I would constantly interrupt my own move or get interrupted.

Kyaw

The combat in a way is similar to the first game. It has that QTE element without the actual limitation of QTE. Just like you said, a rhythm is important.

Also i mapped the next sign button to the side button of my mouse. It's glorious!
And middle mouse button/scroll wheel for radial menu for bombs.

sflufan

Banned
jling84 said:
I hope the new patch finally fixes the CRC errors I keep getting and finally allow me to install the game.

It won't.

Those errors are due to your DVD drive not reading the disk properly.

Email GOG tech support, tell them you're having the CRC error and no solutions like updating your firmware work, give them a picture of your retail DVD key, and they should give you a key to download the game from GOG.

Domcorleone said:
how important is alchemy? I was thinking hard simply because I figured it would force me to implement more of a strategy before and during battles. Is that the case?
Very important. Yes you can never rush in battles usually.

Salaadin

I have Signs set to middle mouse and blocking set to another mouse button so I can do most combat actions with one hand. All movement/sign switching/dodging is done with my left hand on keyboard.

Zeliard said:
Yeah but what kind of sky do you get without bloom?

http://i54.tinypic.com/eio42b.jpg

I imagine the image there would end up looking pretty different, and not in a good way. It isn't worth the other sacrifices in overall lighting to disable it.
My bad, didn't see this post last night. I went ahead and tried to take a comparison picture (think I'm like an hour later than your pic) without bloom: http://i51.tinypic.com/2w2ilxg.jpg

As you can see, you don't lose much at all - just a faint glow in the distance over the rocks (and a radioactive glow to a lot of other things). Personally, I think the game looks much better without.

While even penny arcade complains about the difficulty I seriously think it's great to have a hard game without handholding again.
CDprojekt should not give in to the demands for making the next game just another casual cakewalk like every other rpg.

JWong said:
The barrage of shitty reviews... disappoints me.

I was hoping it would stay on top of the shitty LA Noire game.

This reviewer just didn't get it...Either he played it on easy or didn't figure out properly how combat works...

We expected a deep RPG experience and The Witcher 2: Assassins of King doesn't quite deliver on that front as much as its predecessor. I think the alteration of the combat system receives most of the blame for that...In short, frequent hack'n'slash style action puts less emphasis on tactics, character development or anything else that constitutes a really good role-playing game.

Salaadin

New AMD hotfix released:
Enjoy. You are the first getting it.
Stay updated! Follow me on Twitter.

Windows 7
https://a248.e.akamai.net/f/674/203...atalyst_11.5a_hotfix_8.85.6rc5_win7_may25.exe

Windows XP
https://a248.e.akamai.net/f/674/203...talyst_11.5a_hotfix_8.85.6rc5_winxp_may25.exe

Windows Vista FIX
http://www.mediafire.com/?urni9w21nah5ho5
(Extract this in the directory of the driver and install everything via setup.exe, if the driver fails, install via device manager.)

Some mobility cards are listed, but if you can't install the driver please wait some mins i will make a fix for it like always.

Release notes:
Enables AMD CrossFire™ scaling for Brink
Enables AMD CrossFire scaling for The Witcher 2
Improves performance for Dirt 3

Echoplx

Well I wouldn't really consider anything Destructoid do as a 'review' so that's only two bad ones and even then if you check those sites profiles they give pretty much every game an 80+ then the Witcher 2 60/70 lol

Gunpriest

Neo Member
I think i just encountered the worst part of the game. Act 2, Roche path, spoilers.

I have to fight as ghost soldiers and they are almost impossible to play. Their fast attack is slower than Geralts heavy attack, so i get stun locked a lot by the enemies who attack faster than me, or pushed into the fire wall. I cant run away because the enemy attack range is so great and my character doesnt react for 3 secs after every attack, block or hit. Rolling is not available either. I just was so close to throwing my pad into my tv. Extremely frustrating. Whatever i tried i got stunlocked :(

Salaadin

Gunpriest said:
I think i just encountered the worst part of the game. Act 2, Roche path, spoilers.

I have to fight as ghost soldiers and they are almost impossible to play. Their fast attack is slower than Geralts heavy attack, so i get stun locked a lot by the enemies who attack faster than me, or pushed into the fire wall. I cant run away because the enemy attack range is so great and my character doesnt react for 3 secs after every attack, block or hit. I just was so close to throwing my pad into my tv. Extremely frustrating. Whatever i tried i got stunlocked :(

I didnt think that was that bad. I usually stood still and let them come to me and then I blocked. They get thrown back and I attack. I also felt like it was ridiculously easy to counter enemies there. Watch for the little sword icon to flash right before an enemy connects. If you time it hit, youll hit them for a lot of damage.

Carm

Domcorleone said:

I've been playing on hard the whole way. Besides the prologue being harder than it should have been (still easy, just the difficulty curve has been backward so far), it's been smooth sailing. Although, depending on the path you take those fucking dwarfs you meet in Act 2 might get you killed, fuckers lol.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Domcorleone said:

I'm playing on hard now and am completely ploughing through enemies. Of course, I beat the game on normal once, already. I'm still in the early parts of chapter 1 and haven't decided what upgrade path I will go down this time, though. I went almost exclusively down the sword path in my last game (only got powered up Aard and powered up bomb damage).

Riposte

Carm said:
I've been playing on hard the whole way. Besides the prologue being harder than it should have been (still easy, just the difficulty curve has been backward so far), it's been smooth sailing. Although, depending on the path you take those fucking dwarfs you meet in Act 2 might get you killed, fuckers lol.

I feel bad for the people who ruined their first experience by playing on Normal, but, hey, you get what you want.

Gunpriest said:

I have to fight as ghost soldiers and they are almost impossible to play. Their fast attack is slower than Geralts heavy attack, so i get stun locked a lot by the enemies who attack faster than me, or pushed into the fire wall. I cant run away because the enemy attack range is so great and my character doesnt react for 3 secs after every attack, block or hit. Rolling is not available either. I just was so close to throwing my pad into my tv. Extremely frustrating. Whatever i tried i got stunlocked :(

I hated that section too. Just block and be patient. If you're playing on normal you take like zero damage too so you can just power through it.

Minsc

Gold Member
Carm said:

I found the prologue easy on Hard myself, only died twice outside of 2 deaths from QTEs, which are easily avoidable knowing they're coming. It helps a ton to know to spam the hell out of Quen and kite your enemies, rolling away when outnumbered. Was expecting much worse.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Finally I have time to continue this game :D I'm loving it soooooooo much... such an immersive world.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
hahahaha, I know why people find the ending weak. It's because there's no ending!

But the story concluded in a low-key, satisfying way for me.

BRING ON THE WITCHER 3!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom