• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings |OT| Plough 'Em All

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
subversus said:
hahahaha, I know why people find the ending weak. It's because there's no ending!

But the story concluded in a low-key, satisfying way for me.

BRING ON THE WITCHER 3!

What constitutes an ending, though? A long cut scene? For me, the epilogue was the ending.

Salaadin

Riposte said:
Like I said, it is your loss, not my problem. You'll never encounter those strong monsters and bosses for the first time twice.

I have no idea how serious you are but its cracking me up. Good show :p

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Zefah said:
What constitutes an ending, though? A long cut scene? For me, the epilogue was the ending.

all loose ends tied up and cut - that's the ending. Basically, the ending is something that makes you want to stop playing this game because you don't need to know what's next - there's no "next".

I want to know what happens to the northern kingdoms. I want to know what happens to a lot of characters. The first Witcher had very strong and conclusive ending. This one feels like Pirates of Carribean: part 2.

Riposte

Salaadin said:
I have no idea how serious you are but its cracking me up. Good show :p

It is not the most important deal in the world, but the game is definitely at its best on Hard(and in Chapter 1/early Chapter 2). By the time the second playthrough comes around you've played so long that you basically know everything, so it is easier. Given how small the sweetspot for Witcher 2's combat system, it is a shame to miss it.

Salaadin

Riposte said:
It is not the most important deal in the world, but the game is definitely at its best on Hard(and in Chapter 1/early Chapter 2). By the time the second playthrough comes around you've played so long that you basically know everything, so it is easier. Given how small the sweetspot for Witcher 2's combat system, it is a shame to miss it.

What are the differences on Hard mode? Usual stuff? Enemies have more hp, you have less. They do more damage, you do less?

subversus said:
all loose ends tied up and cut - that's the ending. Basically, the ending is something that makes you want to stop playing this game because you don't need to know what's next - there's no "next".

I want to know what happens to the northern kingdoms. I want to know what happens to a lot of characters. The first Witcher had very strong and conclusive ending. This one feels like Pirates of Carribean: part 2.
It concluded the left over threads from Witcher 1 (Phillipa, the witcher assassin and Geralt's memory) the driving thread of this game (Kingslayer) and opened up new threads for future games.

I think people are confusing not being able to get enough of this awesome world with a weak ending.

It's exactly how a novel in an ongoing fantasy series would end

The hell? I can't move. For some reason, the game won't recognize anything from my keyboard except going to the menu. And just before that, I could only use the keyboard, but not the mouse. What. The. Fuck?

Salaadin

How About No said:
The hell? I can't move. For some reason, the game won't recognize anything from my keyboard except going to the menu. And just before that, I could only use the keyboard, but not the mouse. What. The. Fuck?

Create a new save, leave the game, come back and load up that save.

How About No said:
Check to see if the gamepad option is ticked.

v0mitg0d

Whoops! I think this question got lost on the last page, hope you don't mind me reposting it:

Do the side quests lead the player to unique areas outside of the main quests path or are the goals of these side quests always within in the path of the main quest?

edit: Grammar :(

Red

Finally got some old screenshots uploaded to my Steam profile. The first, an example of why bloom should immediately be turned off:
A03C936C507C5CB9675FFF5A15A07E1AAA31E595

And the second, a weird bug I've been running into repeatedly. People's bodies are disappearing:
FE700799B5C4F5808F57707D26A4C4B7DC677EC0

Anyone else run into this? I tried validating files through Steam, then deleting and redownloading the game, but I'm having the same problem. I have characters moving around that are just floating heads.

Salaadin

Crunched said:
Finally got some old screenshots uploaded to my Steam profile. The first, an example of why bloom should immediately be turned off:

Anyone else run into this? I tried validating files through Steam, then deleting and redownloading the game, but I'm having the same problem. I have characters moving around that are just floating heads.

The disappearing bodies reminds me of an issue I had in Risen. I think I fixed it by turning off AA in CCC. Might want to try that.

subversus

Damn, I feel a bit sad.

When I was waiting for TW2 last month I felt like games don't really satisfy me anymore. There is no challenge, there are too many "gamey" elements and handholding, story often feels like it was written by a writer who thinks too much about an audience and not enough about writing a good story. Simply most stories in games aren't mature enough (with exception of Take Two games). When I was exploring game mechanics story didn't matter to me, but since most american developers fail to innovate and make games which are more than just "fun" fodder I can't look past a weak plot like I'm not able to look past a weak story in most Hollywood blockbusters.

I was thinking The Witcher 2 will be the last game I'll play and then I move my controller to the closet and use PC for work only. And it feels like it.

I wanted a game where you can die in dialogues - check
I wanted a game where "branching story" actually means a lot of content and locations tied to your choices not just a few lines of dialogue.
I actually had an idea about the scene where your cellmate will be blinded - AND THIS SCENE WAS IN THE GAME.

I didn't hope that The Witcher 2 will be exactly this game. It fullfilled all my expectations and did some things which I thought won't be possible in HD generation.

And now I don't want to play anything worse than that.

The only game which I still look forward to is Deus Ex. I haven't played Red Dead Redemption yet. Also Bioshock Infinite. Mmmmm.... And Arkham City. But seriously it's hard to go back to usual stuff. I think I might replay The Witcher 2 instead.

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
subversus said:
Damn, I feel a bit sad.

When I was waiting for TW2 last month I felt like games don't really satisfy me anymore. There is no challenge, there are too many "gamey" elements and handholding, story often feels like it was written by a writer who thinks too much about an audience and not enough about writing a good story. Simply most stories in games aren't mature enough (with exception of Take Two games). When I was exploring game mechanics story didn't matter to me, but since most american developers fail to innovate and make games which are more than just "fun" fodder I can't look past a weak plot like I'm not able to look past a weak story in most Hollywood blockbusters.

I was thinking The Witcher 2 will be the last game I'll play and then I move my controller to the closet and use PC for work only. And it feels like it.

I wanted a game where "branching story" actually means a lot of content and locations tied to your choices not just a few lines of dialogue.
I actually had an idea about the scene where your cellmate will be blinded - AND THIS SCENE WAS IN THE GAME.

I didn't hope that The Witcher 2 will be exactly this game. It fullfilled all my expectations and did some things which I thought won't be possible in HD generation.

The only game which I still look forward to is Deus Ex. I haven't played Red Dead Redemption yet. Also Bioshock Infinite. Mmmmm.... And Arkham City. But seriously it's hard to go back to usual stuff. I think I might replay The Witcher 2 instead.

I understand where you are coming from...I think.

While I play a lot of games, the satisfaction that I used to get from playing them, has gone down. Games that make me want to play more and more and continuously, are rare. But this year has been good. Portal 2 was one such. Bulletstorm was decent in this regard too. And finally, The Witcher 2 is turning out one such game. I cant put it down, its so satisfying. When I am not playing it, I get excited at the prospect of playing it, which is really rare for me these days.
I too am looking forward to Deus Ex: Human revolution. Other than that, for some reason I feel that Rage, uncharted 3, Skyrim will be other games that will make me excited just the way TW2 does.

subversus

kittoo said:
I too am looking forward to Deus Ex: Human revolution. Other than that, for some reason I feel that Rage, uncharted 3, Skyrim will be other games that will make me excited just the way TW2 does.

yes, Bulletstorm was a great game with a good story, I haven't played Portal 2 yet and I'll buy Skyrim GOTY edition. There are some good games I just don't need to buy something like Red Faction, Brink and so on. I'm also interested in L.A. Noire but I heard that you can't fail at this game and that's a huge part of experience to me.

Actually I think I'll buy Demon's Souls to spend time until Deus Ex is released.

Riposte

subversus said:
Damn, I feel a bit sad.

Given what you've said, I am surprised you are anticipating Bioshock Infinite and Arkham City. At least in the hand-holding aspect. (Going on my impressions of their predecessors.)

subversus

Riposte said:
Given what you've said, I am surprised you are anticipating Bioshock Infinite and Arkham City. At least in the hand-holding aspect. (Going on my impressions of their predecessors.)

Well, Arkham Asylum had good challenging combat and I played Bioshock without vita-chambers. Still difficulty isn't the only thing that I appreciate in a game. A good story + deep interesting gameplay + great graphics - I don't want to spend my time on anything less than that anymore.

Damn, I forgot, I haven't finished Amnesia yet. Now this will be a hard one...

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Wow... 30 hours in... I'm now in chapter 2
and the introduction is AMAZING!!!!!!!!

Wait so for Chapter 1-
does defeating the kayran end chapter 1?
Or is there a longer quest line after that? I remember people saying that they got to level 11 after Chapter 1 but I've done just about every sidequest I've come across and I'm only level 9.

subversus

Gully State said:
Wait so for Chapter 1-
does defeating the kayran end chapter 1?
Or is there a longer quest line after that? I remember people saying that they got to level 11 after Chapter 1 but I've done just about every sidequest I've come across and I'm only level 9.

yes, you'll continue. You're like 65-70% through.

Also, there's
there's this monk at the inn
in chapter 1
talking about a tablet that he can't translate. I can play dice with him but even after I beat him, he keeps saying I'm not worthy
. What is exactly is up with that?

Somtaaw

Banned
The witcher 2 is that good? everytime i go to Dragon age 2 forums is flooded with topics about how awesome The witcher 2 is.

JWong

Banned
Gully State said:
Also, there's
in chapter 1
talking about a tablet that he can't translate. I can play dice with him but even after I beat him, he keeps saying I'm not worthy
I think it's broken.

Echoplx

Gully State said:
Also, there's
in chapter 1

what's your win/lose ratio with him? I think you have to out do him in that regard but I'm not sure.

Luthos

How come I can't seem to get my swordsmanship adrenaline finisher to kill more than one enemy? I thought it would grab up to 3 guys. But every time I use it, it only kills one person/monster, regardless of how many enemies are alive.

JWong

Banned
Somtaaw said:
The witcher 2 is that good? everytime i go to Dragon age 2 forums is flooded with topics about how awesome The witcher 2 is.
I worked on Dragon Age 2
as QA
, and I think Witcher 2 is mindblowingly better than DA2.

Though I still think DA2 is better than DAO. Many would disagree with me on that.

subversus

Somtaaw said:

why do you need to go to places like these?

and yes, Bioware now have very big boots to fill. I'm sure they'll fail, but I hope they'll manage to at least match CD Project.

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
Somtaaw said:

I personally couldnt even finish the DA2 demo (even though I liked DA1 enough) and I am loving TW2 so much!

Enkidu

Luthos said:
How come I can't seem to get my swordsmanship adrenaline finisher to kill more than one enemy? I thought it would grab up to 3 guys. But every time I use it, it only kills one person/monster, regardless of how many enemies are alive.
It only seems to kill the ones that are close too you, so make sure the enemies aren't scattered around the area.

Exuro

Luthos said:
It only does group finishers on humans.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Yoshichan said:
Wow... 30 hours in... I'm now in chapter 2
and the introduction is AMAZING!!!!!!!!
If you're playing Iorveth's path, I 100% agree. FUCKING AWESOME.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
Gully State said:
Also, there's
in chapter 1

After you beat him, you're supposed to get a link to this website

Where you can get a discount on 11 Atari games from GOG.

Pretty lame, but then I supposed there needed to be something I disliked about the game.

subversus

Luthos said:
I don't remember if I tried on humans, but that would make sense.

Because it sure isn't working on these harpies.

No, you can only kill one beast at a time. I haven't tried it on low-level creatures though.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Somtaaw said:

It's easily my game of the year at the moment. I also think that Dragon Age 2 was a very poor game, especially in comparison to Dragon Age: Origins, which I loved. Honestly, I probably wouldn't have even finished Dragon Age 2 if I had played The Witcher 2 first. The plot and presentation is ridiculous as is, but I don't think I would have been able to stand it at all if I had just finished the excellent The Witcher 2.

subversus said:
why do you need to go to places like these?

and yes, Bioware now have very big boots to fill. I'm sure they'll fail, but I hope they'll manage to at least match CD Project.
I don't think they'll even bother. More likely they'll just remove every RPG mechanic and make Dragon Age 3 a medieval dating sim.

Zeliard

thetrin said:
If you're playing Iorveth's path, I 100% agree. FUCKING AWESOME.

Do the Roche people not get to experience that section? I figured the start of Chapter 2 would be the same for both sides before the inherently superior Iorveth crew splintered off to go to Vergen.

Tokubetsu

Zeliard said:
Do the Roche people not get to experience that section? I figured the start of Chapter 2 would be the same for both sides before the inherently superior Iorveth crew splintered off to go to Vergen.

Roche doesn't give a fuck about your opinion. He's too busy punching people in the face and rolling out of large falls.

Zeliard said:

The beginning of Chapter 2 is more or less the same, with different characters. Also, in Iorveth path
Prince Stennis survives and manages to reach Vergen

Zeliard said:

It's exactly the same except that
there is no Draugir in the packs you need to fight when the wraiths stop the procession, and Dethmold is walking in the middle with his stave rather than owl-Phillipa floating over everyone. And obviously you head to the other side of the valley. Pretty sure that there is one extra stop too but I might be remembering that wrong.

Not sure if you've made it to the end of chapter 2 yet but
The Eternal Battle is identical regardless of which side you choose, which was disappointing but it really is such a spectacular sequence that I can see why they wouldn't want to have anyone miss it. And of course you learn some stuff about what happened at the battle.

Also: "TREBUCHETS!"

One thing about the end of chapter 2 (Iorveth) which I didn't understand was
why Geralt doesn't have the option to just leave after he loses track of Triss. You get dialogue options to say things which sound neutral but no option to leave them to their own devices. I guess it's like he says when he and Saskia are heading down to fight Dethmold, he's there for Zoltan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom