• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2: Enhanced Edition |OT| Bow low, you stand before a head crowned.

injurai

Banned
To continue on the "American" and "Japanese" style of game development. A lot of it has to do with the fan bases that are being catered to. The whole over realistic american dudebro, and crazy illogical androgynous adventures to save the world of japan may be overtly generic views on each countries styles. But CPR has a distinct focus that sets it apart. Whether it has to do with them being European isn't nearly as big as the fact that they were originally catering to a European audience. It will be interesting to see how their art direction goes in future titles that have a much large launch audience.

Hawk269

Even though I have the PC version, I decided to get the 360 one as well just to support the dev. team.

I am pretty amazed at how well they did this on such aging hardware as the 360. There are some areas of the game that are just amazing looking on the 360 version, other areas are not too hot...but overall, rather seriously impressed with the job they did.

For the 360 players, this game has a ton of replayability depending on what you do...so there is a ton of replayability built into the game.

Sober

Strange, for some reason the interlude video(s) don't play. I finished the prologue and I got the comic one
basically what happens with Aryan La Valette or whatever else after you escape
but the one that they added for the EE to transition from Prologue to Act 1 doesn't play. All I get is a black screen but I can hear Dandelion fine and then when it ends Act 1 loads and begins. What's up with that?

2AdEPT

Neat. Two minutes into the game and already have a bug.

Telling me to parry and wait for the symbol in order to riposte. Except I'm parrying and the symbol isn't appearing. Can't continue my game until I can riposte, except it's not letting me.

Ugh.

yeah this happens to a lot of people including myself...almost restarted the tutorial but it reappeared at the last minute after repositioning....just try a few different parts of the area and keep trying...eventually it shows back up.

Naito

yeah this happens to a lot of people including myself...almost restarted the tutorial but it reappeared at the last minute after repositioning....just try a few different parts of the area and keep trying...eventually it shows back up.

If I'm not mistaken, you need Vigor to use riposte - perhaps your bar was depleted and this is why the icon didn't show up for a while.

Vlodril

I think that scene is programmed to take the default Witcher 2 silver sword no matter what. So it takes it out of your inventory even though it's not the one equipped.

In all my playthroughs i got the silver sword back with my imported magical silver sword after that scene.

As far as spells go quen is kinda worthless now and on hard i find yrden and axii to be lifesavers.
I am especially impressed with axii since i didn't even use it once in previous playthroughs.

Enkidu

In all my playthroughs i got the silver sword back with my imported magical silver sword after that scene.

As far as spells go quen is kinda worthless now and on hard i find yrden and axii to be lifesavers.
I am especially impressed with axii since i didn't even use it once in previous playthroughs.
Is Axii actually different? I've only gone through the tutorial but it seemed to work the same as it did before.

2AdEPT

"To paradise on whores asses!"

Please change the thread title to this. Such a great quest, can't believe I missed this last time.

I knew you would like that one!!! Riding on "ASSorted" whores is just too much fun to forego!

naito said:
If I'm not mistaken, you need Vigor to use riposte - perhaps your bar was depleted and this is why the icon didn't show up for a while.

You may be correct...sometimes the vigor comes back quick, other times not....can't remember that far back to the tutorial but definitely recall it was weird and my son and I could not figure it out similar to the poster above..... just keep trying is my advice as it worked eventually.

Vlodril

Is Axii actually different? I've only gone through the tutorial but it seemed to work the same as it did before.

oh i am not saying they changed it, just that it was completely unnecessary in easy mode and with quen they way it was before. I find it extremely useful in hard mode and with quen nerfed.

protonion

Just killed the first boss. I died A LOT! It could finish me in 3 hits and I'm not used to the keyboard for gaming...

What I like in this game is that it never overwhelms you. There is small number of quests, the world can be explored fast and the battles have a nice frequency. It's the reason I could never get into the ES games.

Ragus

Banned
I've just read on a polish news page, that there were 7 times more orders for the 360 version of The Witcher 2 than for the PC version during the same period. Adam Kiciński (from CD Projekt) also said, that 100k copies were being preordered. And that's only for the USA.

Nice.

Eusis

You know, this game really reminds me of Dragon Age: Origins.

Which is a good thing.
I'm going the next step: games like this are what DA:O wish they were. DA:O's darker angle feels like a child playing at being an adult in comparison, not helped by DAII actively advertising itself with the quote "Bloody as Hell". Stuff like this, or even Demon's Souls/Dark Souls feel more genuinely mature to me.

jkanownik

I've just read on a polish news page, that there were 7 times more orders for the 360 version of The Witcher 2 than for the PC version during the same period. Adam Kiciński (from CD Projekt) also said, that 100k copies were being preordered. And that's only for the USA.

Nice.

The Polish news articles all say 60K US preorders.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap

Nice.

According to CD Project PC version had like 250 000 preorders two weeks before the release and sold more than 400 000 units in the first week. I think you got numbers wrong because that would mean that this game will sell as well as Skyrim.

Arnie

Ok, so I remade my silver sword in Flotsum after the dragon swooped away with my previous one, and everything was going fine. Then I got a diagram to make a robust one that added perhaps a couple points of damage and a single percentage more chance of bleeding. Then I got the diagram for the red baron silver sword, and at first I thought it was a trap, not a sword, because the damage on that thing is like 33-37 or something, which is waaaay beyond both my swords.

So I made it and went to fight some Drowners which I'd previously struggled on and holy shit, it's an amazing weapon.

I guess my question is, is there a downside to the red baron? It seems strange to have access to something that's waaaayyy beyond the Witcher's silver swords this early in the game. I can't remember how I acquired the diagram, is it particularly hard to find? Did I just get lucky, or does everyone get the red baron.

Ragus

Banned
According to CD Project PC version had like 250 000 preorders two weeks before the release and sold more than 400 000 units in the first week. I think you got numbers wrong because that would mean that this game will sell as well as Skyrim.

Well, I dunno. I'm just quoting what a CD Projekt employee had said on a polish tv channel TVN CNBC. He also said that the sales were phenomenal.

Arnie

Oh man, it deserves to. I can't praise this game enough. Only in Chapter 1 (albeit for about 10 hours, because I can't stop exploring) but this is a game that should only be described with superlatives.

Ragus

Banned
Is it on their site?

http://www.tvn24.pl/0,1741854,0,1,wiedzmin-2-na-konsole-w-usa-idzie-jak-woda,wiadomosc.html

Now, that I have watched the video on this site, I have to correct myself. Mr. Kiciński says, that 100k preorders were from both USA and western Europe.

And I can confirm that he did say, that there were 7 times more preorders for the 360 version in the USA.

According to CD Project PC version had like 250 000

But those were boxed and digital preorders? In the video, mr. Niciński told that it was 126 000 boxed copies of the Witcher 2 on PC.

Then I got the diagram for the red baron silver sword, and at first I thought it was a trap, not a sword, because the damage on that thing is like 33-37 or something, which is waaaay beyond both my swords.

I guess my question is, is there a downside to the red baron? It seems strange to have access to something that's waaaayyy beyond the Witcher's silver swords this early in the game.
Haven't heard of that one. I know they added some random weapon drops to the EE, but maybe they added some schematics too. It's a bit OP for Act 1, but that's about in line for the better swords in Act 2, I think. Someone on the official forum found a sword in Act 1 that's about as good as the best swords in the game, so there's definitely something a little wonky with their drops.

Arnie

Haven't heard of that one. I know they added some random weapon drops to the EE, but maybe they added some schematics too. It's a bit OP for Act 1, but that's about in line for the better swords in Act 2, I think. Someone on the official forum found a sword in Act 1 that's about as good as the best swords in the game, so there's definitely something a little wonky with their drops.
Random drops? That makes sense. I mean as soon as I started dropping relatively tricky monsters with it like butter, I thought something was up. And it's over twice as powerful as my Long Sword, which is still a pretty good one. Definitely doesn't feel designed for the player to have it at this point. But still, I fucking love that, makes me feel like an absolute tank.

trw

i plan on focusing on swordplay mostly but will also upgrade the bombs and traps a little in the alchemy (i think) tree. is this i viable method? i hate to neglect magic but i am more of a warrior type when it comes to rpgs. i don't play many but when i do it's normally boring old sword and board (except for amalur, daggers/bow all the way). but anyway, will this work?

Thing with this game is that you don't use things exclusively since you still need to use everything in your arsenal (unless you're playing on easier difficulties). You just choose which things you will be better at, but you will still want to use the other things. And it's possible to spend a bit in every tree or just choose one if you want to. I spent everything in alchemy on my first playthrough but still used magic quite a bit, it's still useful.

2AdEPT

Ok, so I remade my silver sword in Flotsum after the dragon swooped away with my previous one, and everything was going fine. Then I got a diagram to make a robust one that added perhaps a couple points of damage and a single percentage more chance of bleeding. Then I got the diagram for the red baron silver sword, and at first I thought it was a trap, not a sword, because the damage on that thing is like 33-37 or something, which is waaaay beyond both my swords.

So I made it and went to fight some Drowners which I'd previously struggled on and holy shit, it's an amazing weapon.

I guess my question is, is there a downside to the red baron? It seems strange to have access to something that's waaaayyy beyond the Witcher's silver swords this early in the game. I can't remember how I acquired the diagram, is it particularly hard to find? Did I just get lucky, or does everyone get the red baron.

NIce find, pretty sure its new EE content though as it is waaay better than anything I ever found in Act 1...I really scoured the landscape before making my blasphemer set as I did not want to waste my time if there was something better like that.....the best I found was only within the 22-27 range.

Easy to miss stuff though......for example Snuggler the OP of this thread, lover of assorted animals, and obvious veteran........rode his first whore's ass to paradise today!

@ Grisby: I certainly don't think so...it adds enemies and equipment and makes things meatier......some of the quests carry through to other acts and they may or may not get "checked" in your journal until much later in acts 2 and 3. FOr example, I thought I missed the mystic river ending because I never found the second boat up river. imagine my surpirse when
it turns up in the friggin ravine, dragged from the river by a lovely troll couple who were screwing their lights out in it?!?!???!
The confusing hting is that the check mark appeared in the journal early in act 2 so I thought I just missed the opportunity in act 1, and perhaps that was an option, but the trolls saved my day on that one either way! I really like ensuring I do all the quests and have been palying on Dark almost exclusively.

Tokubetsu

Visually is quite simply the best and more consistent Medieval world ever conceived in a videogame. I think I helps that the game is actually made by Europeans, and not some American sci-fi artists pulling chain-mail bikinis out of their asses.

They had a dev diary before release of the PC version kinda talking about it. They put in the research and effort to make the armors look "cool" while looking like they'd be functional, practical and realistic.

Another thing I think is great are Geralt's armor designs. He needs mobility for what he does so they went with leather, but it had to be heavier/sturdier than something that say, Triss would wear. So you get these great padded, and more chest heavy pieces. Really cool.

Digoman

I just played through the tutorial and it recommended Insane. Should I go for it?
Isn't insane the one with permadeath? Don't really recommend that one.. if you really want the difficulty, go for "Dark" instead. I think is the same thing, without the death consequence, and with additional gear.
So does choosing a difficulty under 'Dark' lock out quests?
As far as I remember from the PC version, Dark just add some "mini-quests" that relate to collecting the special equipment. So... nothing related to actual content.

Even though I have the PC version, I decided to get the 360 one as well just to support the dev. team.

I am pretty amazed at how well they did this on such aging hardware as the 360. There are some areas of the game that are just amazing looking on the 360 version, other areas are not too hot...but overall, rather seriously impressed with the job they did.

For the 360 players, this game has a ton of replayability depending on what you do...so there is a ton of replayability built into the game.

Even though my PC (with a 5850) would run this better than the 360 possibly could, I'm really tempted to buy it on the 360 to support these kinds of high quality conversions (then buy it on the PC a little further down the road).

It's a little ridiculous, I know.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Seems like no one else is having the same issue as me, game seems to be taking single clicks from a mouse, and keypresses from my keyboard, as double. So whenever I try to talk to someone it skips my dialogue.

Enkidu

Isn't insane the one with permadeath? Don't really recommend that one.. if you really want the difficulty, go for "Dark" instead. I think is the same thing, without the death consequence, and with additional gear.

I know what Insane is, and I've already played through it on Dark (wasn't all that difficult to be honest, aside from that jerk in Act 3). Although I've decided not to go for Insane anyway, especially since most of the new content is at the end of the game.

Seems like no one else is having the same issue as me, game seems to be taking single clicks from a mouse, and keypresses from my keyboard, as double. So whenever I try to talk to someone it skips my dialogue.
I can't even get the fucker to work :[ This is worse than my experience with Fallout New Vegas.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
I can't even get the fucker to work :[ This is worse than my experience with Fallout New Vegas.

Seems like I can fix it by running the game Windowed, no idea what the issue is (using the same M+KB as I did when the game launched).

Strange, for some reason the interlude video(s) don't play. I finished the prologue and I got the comic one
basically what happens with Aryan La Valette or whatever else after you escape
but the one that they added for the EE to transition from Prologue to Act 1 doesn't play. All I get is a black screen but I can hear Dandelion fine and then when it ends Act 1 loads and begins. What's up with that?

They (at least the first one) will only play in 16:9.

Chinner

Banned
think when the time comes i'm just going to uninstall and install the ee edition directly. seen to much hassle to bother fixing the patch.

Top Bottom