• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2 - new incredible screens [Update: Added A Lot More In OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Des0lar

will learn eventually
max_screen010.jpg

Binabik15

EviLore said:
Morrowind with mods...

Niiice, what mods? I have a copy of Morrowind, but I haven´t really played it so far.

The Max Payne is a good one, but the shot of him jumping with a close-up on his "I can´t fap to this" face would be brilliant!

Dennis

Banned
This is DA1. Something like a virus epidemic must have wiped out the art department at Bioware because Greg promised the graphics of DA2 would blow away DA1

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
EviLore said:
PC lead vs console lead

The weird thing is, that doesn't mean the assets should suffer on the PC platform. A PC version was the intention from the get-go, so why is it getting assets fit for the console version?
A: It's Bioware.

Binabik15 said:
The Max Payne is a good one, but the shot of him jumping with a close-up on his "I can´t fap to this" face would be brilliant!

I'm always reminded of Little Nicky myself.

JoeBoy101

Binabik15 said:
I don´t get this screen. I´ve played DA:O and while it isn´t a stunner, it looks nice.

This looks like the ground textures haven´t loaded and low-res backdrop models were accidentaly put in the foreground.

But hey, I heard your dwarf ally can kick potions at enemies, badass!

Edit: Here are some Metro screens from google

http://h-7.abload.de/img/metro2033-dx11-0202nd.jpg

http://www.pcgameshardware.de/screenshots/original/2010/03/Metro2033-DX11-06.jpg

http://www.gameon.co.uk/files/images/games/m/Metro_2033/standard_Metro_2033_DX11__08.png

Metro with DX11, particles, lighting, blur -> sooogood.gif

Yeah, I've gone past the skeletons and am looking at the rocks going, is some decent textures to much to ask? Its not like there is a whole lot going on with this map right now.

Dance in my Blood said:
You don't spend years writing a game world backstory to only use it once. They have always known there would be Dragon Age sequels.

So is it a tight time frame/schedule? I mean, there has to be some substantial reason that DA 2 looks that bad. Again, I wouldn't harp on it, but it looks worse than the previous iteration of the serious. Not style or direction, but simple graphics competence.

Mr_Zombie

Let's just hope that the original DA Toolset really works with DA2 and that some nice texture mods will be released in the near future.

DennisK4 said:
This is DA1. Something like a virus epidemic must have wiped out the art department at Bioware because Greg promised the graphics of DA2 would blow away DA1
*screens*

You're using high-res texture mods there. DA:O also had some pretty nasty low-res textures used on some objects (that very especially visible during cut-scenes and close-ups); not as low-res as DA2 seems to have, though.

seat

Instro said:
Anyway, sadly my 8800gt probably wont be cutting it for The Witcher 2, but I like to look at pretty pictures regardless.
And therein lies the problem. It does look gorgeous, though.

Acidote

I hope it works, but it looks like it won't. They have to sell those alternative outfits for your companions you know.

Mr_Zombie said:
You're using high-res texture mods there. DA:O also had some pretty nasty low-res textures used on some objects (that very especially visible during cut-scenes and close-ups); not as low-res as DA2 seems to have, though.

Yeah, here's an environment shot from my DA:O... not too different to DA2.

5423380305_ab6883a925_o.jpg

glaurung

The game looks incredible. And the first one wasn't heavy on the eyes either.

I am starting to dread that my PC is not snappy enough any more.

Awesome screenshots, I can't wait to May. Seeing the screenshot with Foltest, I remember (first game spoilers)
when at the end of the game Foltest is with the other king, and he asks Geralt to kill the Order Great Master:
Foltest: "Could you kill him.."
Geralt: "I'm not an hitman blablabla.."
Foltest:..
Geralt:..How much?
Foltest: Ten thousand orens
Geralt: Consider it done
LOL

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
JoeBoy101 said:
So is it a tight time frame/schedule? I mean, there has to be some substantial reason that DA 2 looks that bad. Again, I wouldn't harp on it, but it looks worse than the previous iteration of the serious. Not style or direction, but simple graphics competence.
Probably something along those lines. I can't help but feel there was a pressure to keep on a release cycle similar to that of Mass Effect.

JaseC said:
The weird thing is, that doesn't mean the assets should suffer on the PC platform. A PC version was the intention from the get-go, so why is it getting assets fit for the console version?
A: It's Bioware.
I find it weird that a game like mass effect is coming from the same developers.

I could understand the low quality assets in DA 1 because the game looked like it was primarily designed to be played in top down view and not in third person but this?

After this?
“I think one of the key things we’re working on in Dragon Age 2 is the technology,” he told Joystiq. “I can confirm that we’re doing a lot of work on the Dragon Age engine, and doing a lot of stuff to pump it — to make it visually super hot.”

More like ... they'll get flamed.

/NCI Miami YEAH

Binabik15

M°°nblade said:
I find it weird that a game like mass effect is coming from the same developers.

You mean the dev that gave pc gamers really low-res armour textures dragging down characters in ME2?

koji

bigboss370 said:
what the..? why does DA2 look like that?? this is DA1:

Oh, you don't know? It's because they want us to look at a DA2 screen and know right away it's from DA2 and not some other generic fantasy game, that's why it looks like ass, so we wont mistake it with another game.

Seriously, that's what one of the Bioware guys said in a dev video.

markot

Banned
I honestly cant remember the last time I saw skeletons that look so bad... That forgoe the whole... rib cage thingy and go for a simple low quality texture.

Im guessing 99.9999% of bioware time and money is on SWTOR. Sadly cause they seem to think 'making it a talky!' is all the mmo genre needs >_>

Minsc

Gold Member
What's crazy is it's not hard to believe the screenshots some users take from the actual game (TW2) once it's released will be even better looking than these, some people just have an unnatural talent for taking beautiful in-game screenshots, that surpasses most game studios.

Either way, this is going to be a great looking game. Hopefully it gets more people to play the first too, though it may be a little hard to go back to if the combat is as improved as they say in the sequel.

Binabik15

Minsc said:
What's crazy is it's not hard to believe the screenshots some users take from the actual game (TW2) once it's released will be even better looking than these, some people just have an unnatural talent for taking beautiful in-game screenshots, that surpasses most game studios.

Either way, this is going to be a great looking game. Hopefully it gets more people to play the first too, though it may be a little hard to go back to if the combat is as improved as they say in the sequel.

Is TheOctagon still making beauuutiful screens and posting them on GAF?

neorej said:
I can fap to this.

Yes indeed.

Bad textures on the blanket. Way below my standards.

Looks amazing. Not just from a technical side but the art direction too.

Someone be honest with me, will this devour my ATI 5770? Really would like to hold off buying a new graphics card for another 12 - 18 months.

Minsc

Gold Member
Sir Garbageman said:
Looks amazing. Not just from a technical side but the art direction too.

Someone be honest with me, will this devour my ATI 5770? Really would like to hold off buying a new graphics card for another 12 - 18 months.

The good news is there are no DX10/11 features to kill your framerate like in Metro 2033, and there aren't any benchmarks to shatter your hopes.

Realistically, you'll probably need a top of the line GPU to max it, but to run it at medium/high they may surprise us yet.

Binabik15 said:
You mean the dev that gave pc gamers really low-res armour textures dragging down characters in ME2?
At least the console versions looked good. Dragon age, on the contrary, looks ‘below average’ on every platform.
I expected them to improve that with DA2.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
You know what, I still hadn't pre-ordered this game, despite the fact that I liked The Witcher. This thread has made me correct this mistake.

I know this has been stated to death already but Bioware, please, look at TW2 and tell the gaming community why a studio with far less resources at its disposal can create a game that graphically destroys Dragon Age/2, games that frankly, should be embarrassed CD Projekt, not being embarrassed by them.

I cannot wait until May, and I really need to play through The Witcher again. PC requirements do not scare me either, a 4.6Ghz clocked i5 2500k, 8GB of RAM and nicely overclocked ATi HD5870 should be more than enough to power through this at 1920 x 1080.

Minsc said:
The good news is there are no DX10/11 features to kill your framerate like in Metro 2033, and there aren't any benchmarks to shatter your hopes.

Realistically, you'll probably need a top of the line GPU to max it, but to run it at medium/high they may surprise us yet.

I'd be happy with med - high at this point. I'm looking forward to their recommended specs. Thanks.

Stop It said:
I cannot wait until May, and I really need to play through The Witcher again. PC requirements do not scare me either, a 4.6Ghz clocked i5 2500k, 8GB of RAM and nicely overclocked ATi HD5870 should be more than enough to power through this at 1920 x 1080.
I get 60-70 fps at 1920*1080 on highest settings with same CPU, RAM and amd6950.

I will say this ....DA:Origins' graphics are inconsistent...

lelandra_395986guvj.jpg

vs...

daorigins2010-08-0811-zn81.png

Same exact settings (1080p with 8x MSAA 16xAAF and everything cranked to highest settings)

Minsc

Gold Member
Sir Garbageman said:
I'd be happy with med - high at this point. I'm looking forward to their recommended specs. Thanks.

If you want something slightly more concrete, there's this video from december (linked to 4:20 where they detail the minimum specs), which can be found here (#7), which are said to be:

7. What system requirements the game will have? – We were given such requirements:
----- Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo 2.2 GHz or similar AMD
----- Memory: 1 GB for XP / 2 GB for Vista
----- Graphics: Nvidia GF 8800 512 VR or similar AMD
----- Hard Drive: 8GB for game and 8GB bonus content
These are minimal as for now (Nov 18th 2010). After optimisation reqs will definetely drop - but we don't know how much.
You should remember that game simply "likes" dual - core CPUs.
### These requirements are quite accurate for now. This is the minimal configuration allowing to play game with no-so-many FPS. It will get better, however don't expect to run in high details and HD in May.

Subject to change of course.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
EviLore said:
http://www.abload.de/img/original5snz.jpgimg][/QUOTE]
The Lord works in mysteeerious ways!

[QUOTE=DennisK4][url=http://www.abload.de/image.php?img=the-witcher-2_8qfu4bu13.jpg][img]http://www.abload.de/img/the-witcher-2_8qfu4bu13.jpg[/url]
A glorious day to be a PC gamer. Stunning.

Binabik15 said:
9glc2q.jpg

What the hell.
The legendary N64 bone pack finally gets use! PC dev will never be the same.

chico

yep DA2 has been consolized! thats why we need a new generation... but no one wants to listen to me. :(

love the witcher 2 screens... mighty impressive!

neorej

ERMYGERD!
Minsc said:
If you want something slightly more concrete, there's this video from december (linked to 4:20 where they detail the minimum specs), which can be found here (#7), which are said to be:

Subject to change of course.

I'm well above that, thank heavens.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom