• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3: Digital copies are 50% of rev, 30% PC/70% console, 25% dig/75% retail

shandy706

There's something kind of funny about the best selling version being on the only platform W3 released on that had no prior connection to the franchise.

Always good to see a game do well when expanding to other "untested" platforms.

Pulling around 40% while the previous platforms got 60% is a big chunk. (or 50/50...IDK whose math is right..LOL)

TW3 deserved to be on everything.

jmga

There are A LOT of Japanese third party exclusives on PS4 (EDIT: they're on PS3 also in Japan, but only on PS4 in the west) and Strategy third party exclusives on PC, in most cases it's not worth the opportunity cost to port them, but in a few rare occasions you'll see ports like Tales of Zestreia & Toukiden on PC or Type-0 on XB1 or Xcom on consoles.
I wouldn't say "it's not worth to port them", I would say "Oh! The nepotism of Japanese industry".

I think vast majority of Japanese PC ports have been profitable, and that is why we are seeing more and more over the time.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
I always found funny how "console" is considered as a whole platform.

Fun thing that PC is considered as a whole platform when it is convenient to exalt its performance and to compare it better to PS4 and Xbox One when those are counted separately... Not that PC is a term we use as if it were a single product while it includes a vast and diverse array of machines with different specs and made by different manufacturers (binary compatibility when talking about already multiplatform software makes this argument a lot less relevant) ;).

Of course these numbers, taking consoles as a platform, work better for console fans... Some people keep telling them gaming PC's are killing them :p.

Dr.Acula

Banned
I normally prefer all my games on Steam, but I preordered W3 on GOG specifically so CDPR would get paid directly. Getting half their revenue from a 25% slice is pretty wild.

Qassim

This isnt a good sign to us PC users for future CD Projekt games.

Do me a favour and divide 100 by 3. 30% of sales of a game on a total of three platforms is pretty good. Then you take into consideration the higher revenue per game sold they likely got on the PC version due to GoG (which outsold the Steam version per the last numbers they gave us) and history tells us that the PC versions of games generally have longer legs, I wouldn't worry too much about CDP realigning too much.

They may endeavour to do a much better job on the console versions next time (and they should), but with their own distribution platform to look after, I think we're unlikely to see CDP change up their priorities when it comes to PC too much. The PC hit what should be its target, it got basically an even split of the sales, the Xbox One version is probably the one that under performed.

Renekton

Do me a favour and divide 100 by 3. 30% of sales of a game on a total of three platforms is pretty good. Then you take into consideration the higher revenue per game sold they likely got on the PC version due to GoG (which outsold the Steam version per the last numbers they gave us) and history tells us that the PC versions of games generally have longer legs, I wouldn't worry too much about CDP realigning too much.

They may endeavour to do a much better job on the console versions next time (and they should), but with their own distribution platform to look after, I think we're unlikely to see CDP change up their priorities when it comes to PC too much. The PC hit what should be its target, it got basically an even split of the sales, the Xbox One version is probably the one that under performed.
The PC share was expected to be much higher, surpassing PS4 at least, because CDPR is in very unique position as a PC gamer darling (no sarcasm at all).

Nah. CyberPunk 2077 first.

That will likely be my first CDPR game.

Very happy for these devs though, their strive for quality and customer respect should be well rewarded. I'm a fan even though I haven't played any of their titles.

why don't you try the Witcher games?

Qassim

The PC share was expected to be much higher, surpassing PS4 at least, because CDPR is in very unique position as a PC gamer darling (no sarcasm at all).

Really? That's an odd expectation for a big AAA, traditional console style release. These type of games almost always sell better on at least one console, the most successful PC games are not games like The Witcher 3.

It will be, once a couple of sales happen. The console and PC markets have very different sales distribution patterns. Personally, I didn't expect that the initial sales on PC would be that high.

They have their own successful store which would have sweetened the deal considerably. They get to keep the platform owner cut that normally goes to Sony/MS/Valve.

Qassim

I am honestly not that surprised tbh. Consoles have a much larger core gaming audience.

It's a different market, I wouldn't say they have a bigger gaming audience either, again - just different. There are PC games with player bases that no console game can touch, they're just not the types of games that do well on consoles. The consoles are the market for the big AAA games, it's what the consoles do best with, but that's not the case on PC - different kinds of games are most successful there.

Of course, AAA PC games often sell more than enough to justify their versions of multiplatform games when you compare it to other individual consoles (rather than lumping the consoles together), but big AAA releases outside of gigantic names like GTA are really just a blip on radar of the majority of the PC gaming audience's radar (at least going on stats like concurrent players).0

Emedan

This is very interesting news indeed. Wasn't this game dirt cheap to make regardless of being a AAA game? They must've turned a great profit - if that's the case it really shows over bloated budgets aren't needed to create big games with great profit margin.

swit

From what I understand from the linked investor's announcement retail distributors paid 80% of the marketing. But this is not some kind of donation - distributors got all this money back via retail sales, you can't just ignore it in calculation. That is why retail revenue for CDP is surprisingly low compared to digital revenue – 80% of marketing cost is already subtracted from retail revenue as mentioned in the linked topic. So you can't say that every digital sale = 3 retail sales here or which platform is most profitable. We would need total revenue comparison, not net profit comparison with subtracted costs. Or at least how big were that marketing expenses that benefits all platforms, but only affects retail figure here.

Btw. this is the top 3 of Europe, 1st half of 2015 ordered by Sales Value:

1.) Grand Theft Auto V
2.) FIFA 2015
3.) The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

Wow @ the platform split. I was sure it was the other way around (70% PC, 30% consoles).

I guess I can imagine The Witcher 4 launching on consoles first now. I mean there would be a business case for that.

Only people with no idea of business expected that.

It doesn't matter if CDPR is pc darling (it is, and thanks to that the pc version sold great). Fact is, there are more "core" console gamers than "core" pc gamers. You know, talking of people who buy AAA games, and at release. So of course they are going to have a bigger share of sales in the console version.

bj00rn_

Banned

Really? I never really saw a serious consensus attempt at suggesting such a thing. And frankly the theory doesn't fully make sense to me. However, what I remember we talked about pre-release was that because of CDPR's roots as a PC developer that they would ensure a solid PC version with typical PC enhancements. And that they did.

W3 appeared to be heavily marketed as a multi-platform title (and I actually remember that to be a part of pre-release discussion, making the theory of a consensus around a massive PC ratio even less likely), and the PS4 version was arguably mentioned more than others at times. 1/3 of the sales is a much larger ratio than I expected at this time considering the consoles usually are much more AAA frontloaded.

CDPR isn't selling ratios, they are selling games. What IMO would be more interesting is to compare W3 sales with the sales for the previous titles in the series on the same PC platform.

Qassim

Wow @ the platform split. I was sure it was the other way around (70% PC, 30% consoles).

I guess I can imagine The Witcher 4 launching on consoles first now. I mean there would be a business case for that.

What world do you live in where you expected 70% PC/30% consoles? And why would they launch on Xbox One before PC? You know it's rather likely that platform split is: PS4 > PC > Xbox One?

In fact, why would they ignore 1/3 of their sales for the launch period at all? With the higher revenue per copy sold, too.

Durante

I can't imagine it and there is certainly not a business case for it. In particular not for CDPR, who have a platform on PC where they get close to 100% of the revenue, where on consoles the get, at best, 70% minus the platform licensing fee.

If anything, you could argue a business case for launching GOG-only first, but it's probably not worth the outrage.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
In fact, why would they ignore 1/3 of their sales for the launch period at all? With the higher revenue per copy sold, too.

The higher revenue came from digital sales.

Edit: And there's no way in hell they would ignore the PC fan base and launch W4 on consoles first.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
And people think we will be getting a digital only console next gen. Pfft....

That console vs PC sales split is crazy considering how PC oriented the franchise has been and that this is the first one ever for Playstation.

Also publishers covered 80% of marketing. Thats a huge chunk of the cost of a game. Combine that with a 25% digital distribution and this must have been massively successful for CD Projekt Red financially

Credit to CD project for making a competent port on consoles (after patches) otherwise the split would be different.

Top Bottom