• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3 Expansion Pass announced - $25

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
“With the development of Wild Hunt coming to an end, the team has embarked upon the creation of two new really big adventures set in The Witcher universe,” says Marcin Iwiński, CD PROJEKT RED co-founder. “We remember the time when add-on disks truly expanded games by delivering meaningful content. As gamers, we’d like to bring that back. We’ve said in the past that if we ever decide to release paid content, it will be vast in size and represent real value for the money. Both our expansions offer more hours of gameplay than quite a few standalone games out there.”

Hearts of Stone will take Geralt on an all-new, 10-hour-plus adventure into the wilds of No Man’s Land and the nooks and alleys of Oxenfurt, where he’ll try to complete a contract from the mysterious Man of Glass. Caught in a thick tangle of deceit, Geralt will need all his cunning and strength to solve the mystery and emerge unscathed.

Blood and Wine, a 20-hour-plus tale that will introduce the all-new in-game region of Toussaint, will take Geralt to a land untainted by war, where an atmosphere of carefree indulgence and knightly ritual masks an ancient, bloody secret.

“While we’re offering the Expansion Pass now, we want to make one thing clear: don’t buy it if you have any doubts. Wait for reviews or play The Witcher and see if you like it first. As always, it’s your call,” Iwiński concludes.

The upcoming expansions will offer gamers new adventures, gear and foes and will feature characters both new and dearly missed -- all crafted with maximum attention to detail and quality by the joint forces of CD PROJEKT RED’s Warsaw and Cracow studios.

Hearts of Stone will premiere in October, while Blood and Wine is slated for release in the first quarter of 2016.
Both expansions will be available on all three platforms: Xbox One, PC, PlayStation 4.

http://thewitcher.com/news/view/991

Edit:
W6MAzDd.png

Skelter

Banned
People are already bitching but I'm just going to buy it. Downloadable expansions is what I wanted Witcher 2 to get but never did.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I'm going to give CDPR the benefit of the doubt here and assume this is Scamco/WB flexing their muscle given they're footing the large marketing bill -- it makes sense that they'd want to see a return on their investment sooner rather than later. Regardless, I'll snap this up the moment it hits Steam.

ironcreed

Banned
Sounds like proper expansions, which I will most certainly buy. Not until they release, though. I want to spend some time with the game first!

Good for them. I'm very excited for The Witcher and I'm happy to know that the game will be getting post-release support. CDPR is a solid company that has always done right by their audience.

Escalario

Banned
Now I'll just wait for the inevitable Complete Edition when it's like 20€. Thanks for saving me some money this year, CDPR :D

Did not expect that.

Anyway, here's the full press release:

CD PROJEKT RED, creators of the open world RPG The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt, announce two massive expansions -- Hearts of Stone & Blood and Wine

The Witcher is a story-driven, next-generation open world role-playing game, set in a visually stunning fantasy universe full of meaningful choices and impactful consequences. In The Witcher, you play as Geralt of Rivia, a professional monster slayer tasked with finding a child from an ancient prophecy.

“With the development of Wild Hunt coming to an end, the team has embarked upon the creation of two new really big adventures set in The Witcher universe,” says Marcin Iwiński, CD PROJEKT RED co-founder. “We remember the time when add-on disks truly expanded games by delivering meaningful content. As gamers, we’d like to bring that back. We’ve said in the past that if we ever decide to release paid content, it will be vast in size and represent real value for the money. Both our expansions offer more hours of gameplay than quite a few standalone games out there.”

Hearts of Stone will take Geralt on an all-new, 10-hour-plus adventure into the wilds of No Man’s Land and the nooks and alleys of Oxenfurt, where he’ll try to complete a contract from the mysterious Man of Glass. Caught in a thick tangle of deceit, Geralt will need all his cunning and strength to solve the mystery and emerge unscathed.

Blood and Wine, a 20-hour-plus tale that will introduce the all-new in-game region of Toussaint, will take Geralt to a land untainted by war, where an atmosphere of carefree indulgence and knightly ritual masks an ancient, bloody secret.

“While we’re offering the Expansion Pass now, we want to make one thing clear: don’t buy it if you have any doubts. Wait for reviews or play The Witcher and see if you like it first. As always, it’s your call,” Iwiński concludes.

The upcoming expansions will offer gamers new adventures, gear and foes and will feature characters both new and dearly missed -- all crafted with maximum attention to detail and quality by the joint forces of CD PROJEKT RED’s Warsaw and Cracow studios.

Hearts of Stone will premiere in October, while Blood and Wine is slated for release in the first quarter of 2016.

Both expansions will be available on all three platforms: Xbox One, PC, PlayStation® 4.

For more information on obtaining the expansions, please visit buy.thewitcher.com

zychi

Banned
And another game goes to the "wait for everything to be under $20/GOTY edition"

Its a shame too, these guys will likely make a great game for $60, but I don't support this dlc bullshit anymore after being burned so many times.

Augustiner

Neo Member
I'm going to give CDPR the benefit of the doubt here and assume this is Scamco/WB flexing their muscle given they're footing the large marketing bill -- it makes sense that they'd want to see a return on their investment sooner rather than later. Regardless, I'll snap this up the moment it hits Steam.

Indeed, this does seem a little ironic given their "16 free DLC announcement/joke". Are they not publishing the game themselves?

The announcement comes when the hype is so high, of course. But the release dates are far enough to make believe they will be developed mostly after the release in May.

Orayn

What happend to "all future DLC will be free"? Or am I mistaken ?

Might be using the distinction that I see some GAFers make, where minor extras like horse armor are "DLC" and "expansions" are larger additions to the campaign. Stuff in the former category is still free for Witcher 3 IIRC.

See now I'm perfectly okay with this BECAUSE CDPR has earned my trust and their interpretation of paid DLC refers to content equivalent to another whole game. 30 more hours of content, good lord man, there are 60$ games with less than a quarter of that content.

Exile20

If the witcher 2 takes 33 to beat and this one is longer then I don't see myself playing another 30 hours in dlc. Good stuff tho.

Skelter

Banned
What happend to "all future DLC will be free"? Or am I mistaken ?

And this is where I have to ask, what is the difference between "DLC" and "expansion"? DLC seems like much smaller content such as skins and cosmetic stuff while an expansion, according to CDPR anyway, will be much more substantial which I is fine with me if they want some money.

I was wondering this exact thing. You're not hallucinating - CD Projekt Red said they would release 16 DLC packs for free across all systems. Guess that has changed.

Still there and fits in with what I believe is DLC.

hydruxo

Those are some meaty expansions. The base game is already 200 hours so I don't see the problem with announcing these now.

Its a shame too, these guys will likely make a great game for $60, but I don't support this dlc bullshit anymore after being burned so many times.
What's wrong with getting large expansions to games? There is a shit ton of content already in the full game, they're wrapping up the final touches on it at the moment and have no doubt begun work on these expansions. You wouldn't expect them to give away 30 hrs of game for free would you?

These are legit expansions, supplemental small scale DLC are all free.

Well I guess Ill wait on picking this game up then.

A bunch of paid and free DLC announced months before release... yeah. Ill wait for a complete edition.

These look to be actual expansion packs, which is fucking exciting and I'm down for paying for if the price justifies the content.

30 hours is pretty serious. CDPR has been pretty good about their post game support, while this does look pretty tactless given their history I'll probably get it eventually.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Indeed, this does seem a little ironic given their "16 free DLC announcement/joke". Are they not publishing the game themselves?

I suppose the answer is "Yes and no." Development is being funded internally and CDPR is distributing retail copies itself within Eastern Europe, but the game's marketing campaign was budgeted at $25m and Scamco/WB, CDPR's international retail distribution partners, are shouldering that burden -- which is actually significantly higher than the development budget -- so naturally they have some say.

Didn't they say that all DLC for their game would be free in the future? Wondering how this will be priced.

I mean I will probably get it, but the fact they arent sticking to their word kind of sucks.

Top Bottom