• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3 has shipped nearly 10 million copies

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
From the other thread, I thought this was probably worthy of discussion on its own:

It's nearly 10 million:
http://www.bankier.pl/wiadomosc/CD-Projekt-pokazal-wyniki-i-nowa-strategie-7336445.html

"Of this 20 mln copies sold, nearly 10 mln is W3".

This puts our console/PC RPG sales pantheon at (based on most recent statements, don't carve this in stone, generally lists best selling recent entry):

Diablo 3/RoS: 30+ million
Skyrim: 20+ million
Destiny: Seemingly at least 12-15 million based on statements, least certain here
Borderlands 2: 12.5+ million
Fallout 4: 12 million (at launch, will presumably slot in around Skyrim)
Final Fantasy VII: 11 million
The Witcher 3: Nearly 10 million
Final Fantasy XIII: ~7.5 million
Dragon Age/Mass Effect: Both seem to be at about 5-6 million LTD on the biggest entries unless EA wants to give an update
Dark Souls 1: ~5.6 million
Bloodborne: 2 million

There's probably room for at least a couple more million for The Witcher 3 with an eventual GOTY edition and cheap Steam sales.

The rest of the series has done a bit over 10 million.

sublimit

Banned
I think it's the first game in a very long while that has sold so many copies and which i fully enjoyed.

Erevador

Wonderful to see a game that provides so much real value to consumers doing so well. They made a game that was worth what it cost, and people paid for it.

Good to see.

The Greatest RPG of all time IMO. So well deserved sales. Can't wait for Cyberpunk and Witcher 4. CDProjekt Red kind of hinted they are starting work on Witcher 4 already so bring it on!!!

Rymuth

20 million sales
almost 50:50 ratio between digital and retail

Nice one.

Edit: Series sales is 20 million not just W3 according to this

CDProjekt Red deserves all the success. They made an amazing game and I am glad millions others get to share the similar amazing experience I had playing this game.

DarkFlame

Banned
Well,if you count the 2 upcoming expansion and the imo the 100% GOTY edition,the Witcher is in for some serious profit...All deserved though

ViciousDS

Banned
Well, well deserved my GotG so far. bring on 2077!

I'm still amazed FFXIII has sold 7.5 million............I didn't hate it....but gosh was it so damn disappointing.

What!? Do you have a source for that?

CDProjekt Red's financial reporting. They said a couple things that hint at Witcher 4. They mentioned Release of another AAA RPG that isn't Cyberpunk between 2017-2021 and they also specifically mentioned "Expansion of Core Franchises". Its pretty obvious they are already in the early stages of planning out Witcher 4

Edit - also they are creating a total of 4 teams. 2 of which are working on "new things". So what are the other 2 doing? 1 is working on Cyberpunk and the other will likely be building Witcher 4

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Well, well deserved my GotG so far. bring on 2077!

I'm still amazed FFXIII has sold 7.5 million............I didn't hate it....but gosh was it so damn disappointing.

Congrats CDPR!

How the FUCK did FF13 sell 7.5 million

It (was) a huge series and this was the only traditional mainline game for the entire generation so things stack up over time.

t hicks

Banned
Congrats to CDPR, they absolutely deserve all the sales!
W3 is one of my favorite games of all time, and I never played a witcher game before it either.

Aalvi

I need to get back into the game and finish it off. I tend to steer towards the shorter games which is why W3 and XBX are sorta being pushed off.

for 100+ hours of content the game seemed to be enjoyable every step of the way from the time I put in so far.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I'm actually surprised these series aren't higher. Maybe MEA will break the 6 million barrier.

BioWare has been decidedly stable in sales, but since everyone else went up, they're become the laggards of the genre sales-wise relative to stature.

While EA seemed quite happy with Inquisition, I have to imagine they're looking at the state of the genre and hoping for growth.

Top Bottom