• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3 is now the Most Awarded game of all time. (Currently at 251 awards)

Great game, but I think it's overrated now. I finished the game and its expansion Hearts of Stone and I can't go back to it unlike MGS V:TPP and Bloodborne. I platinumed MGS V and Bloodborne and I still play them, but I didn't platinum the Witcher 3 and I can't go back to play more.

patapuf

I'd guess TW3 has most GOTY awards because there are more eligible sites handing out awards than there was even a year or two ago. Also that site is gaining popularity so more and more sources are being reported to that site. In fact it's still missing a ton of sites and magazines that should easily qualify.

However, the world will never be the same after Dragon Age Inquisition and 2014. I'm never going to believe anyone voted that as the best game of the year not to mention it winning the most GOTY awards that year.

Doh. misunderstood.

That said, with sites closing, i don't think the count is going to go up much anymore.

Raylan

Banned
251 awards? For the Witcher 3? Funny. Imagine what it would get if it had a good combat system. Maybe 19034903403 awards from the current media.

roytheone

I'd guess TW3 has most GOTY awards because there are more eligible sites handing out awards than there was even a year or two ago. Also that site is gaining popularity so more and more sources are being reported to that site. In fact it's still missing a ton of sites and magazines that should easily qualify.

However, the world will never be the same after Dragon Age Inquisition and 2014. I'm never going to believe anyone voted that as the best game of the year not to mention it winning the most GOTY awards that year.

You would be wrong actually, since they have counted fewer total awards in 2015 right now then in 2013 :)

Congrats to CDProject Red though this was bound to happen at some point to a critically acclaimed multi platform game as it has the ability to be nominated and win awards in PlayStation, Xbox, PC, and multi platform categories from various award outlets where as an exclusive game like the Last of Us can never win best PC game, best Xbox game, & best PlayStation game of the year like a multi platform title can. With that being said I'm very interested in hearing more about CyberPunk 2077 hopefully at E3.

Phinor

You would be wrong actually, since they have counted fewer total awards in 2015 right now then in 2013 :)

I just noticed that they have the actual breakdown at the end of the page so my theory was wrong, yep. The gap between TW3 and second game on the list is actually insane. What's worse, Fallout 4 is somehow the second game on the list.

m_dorian

I do not care about awards but there are nice to have. I really loved the game and i am glad that its quality is recognized.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
251 awards? For the Witcher 3? Funny. Imagine what it would get if it had a good combat system. Maybe 19034903403 awards from the current media.
tumblr_o1pm1117wl1uwnxi8o1_500.gif

roytheone

I just noticed that they have the actual breakdown at the end of the page so my theory was wrong, yep. The gap between TW3 and second game on the list is actually insane. What's worse, Fallout 4 is somehow the second game on the list.

Whenever there is a clash between Witcher and bloodborne fans in a goty award thread, they should just shake hands and say to eachother : "well, at least it isn't fallout 4!" :)

I think there's an issue with knowing what a reputable outlet is. I appreciate getting an enhanced Game of the Year edition of a game, but once the awards tally in the hundreds, it's like, "What are you considering a reputable news/awards outlet?"

Ratrat

Something something dreadful gameplay yada yada.

I still need to finish it. Definitely curious to see the full contrast with Dragon Age Inquisition which I just platinumed after 120 hours.

Crossing Eden

I think there's an issue with knowing what a reputable outlet is. I appreciate getting an enhanced Game of the Year edition of a game, but once the awards tally in the hundreds, it's like, "What are you considering a reputable news/awards outlet?"
They're all listed in the link I provided in the OP....

synce

Well this just leads me to believe I'm too old for games. I couldn't bring myself to finish Witcher 3.

Jinjo

Congrats to CDProject Red. Definitely the best RPG ever made and they deserve every award. In a generation filled with disappointing and overly hyped games they are on of the few that really managed to deliver.

Jumeira

Banned
Best game released this gen and possibly ever. No game has made me feel pure delight for the protagonist like W3 has, almost got emotional with joy at one point in the game. This has NEVER happened to me, and is a testament to the writing. Well deserved CDPR.

Servbot24

Banned
To be fair, there are more outlets than ever giving awards. Still, congrats to the Witcher. I can't say I agree with the praise, but they have identified with a ton of people you gotta respect that.

d3vnull

Congrats CDPR. So well deserved. This makes me very happy.

Now bring on Blood & Wine so I can start my 4th full playthrough.

boskee

To be fair, there are more outlets than ever giving awards. Still, congrats to the Witcher. I can't say I agree with the praise, but they have identified with a ton of people you gotta respect that.

2015 had 429 awards
2013 had 523 awards

Gurish

Would it be fair though to say that TLOU faced a harder competition with GTA 5 and Bioshock?
FO4 was a big disappointment for a game at such caliber (87 MC), MGS5 wasn't complete so it was obvious it won't get any (and it was a massive disappointment for me personally but nvm), Bloodborne was amazing but you know it's too niche for most mainstream media.

So TW3 seems pretty obvious, TLOU had to face a 9.6 avg game in GTA5 and a 9.4 avg in Bioshock, and yes, I know averages are down in general so it doesn't mean much, but still, seems like a harder competition to me, especially GTA5, no one believed TLOU could beat it so hard.

Crossing Eden

There were less awards given out by outlets this year than in 2013.

bombshell

2015 had 429 awards
2013 had 523 awards

So Witcher is even farther ahead if you normalise it.

This is not a completely sound comparison. Competition from other games released in the same year could be completely different.

Note: I'm not trying to take anything away from The Witcher. I love the game as you can see from my avatar, but TLoU had a far bigger competitor in GTAV (160 awards) than anything released last year.

Nabbis

Im kinda perplexed on it having so many awards when the combat is such an annoyance in that game. It's a nice game but i don't see it as having much of a revolutionary quality or being solid in all of it's aspects.

Tommy DJ

As far as open world RPGs go, its the benchmark for AAA RPGs I think. Too many of them suffer from relatively low effort quests as padding (like all of them), really awful art direction (Bethesda), and an overall lack of meaningful content. The Witcher 3 really goes the extra mile to craft an open world where you don't feel like you're doing mindless busywork. Its definitely a landmark achievement to which all other open world RPGs will be compared to in the future.

I really want CD Project to really work on integrating an open world with mass market game design and an actually strong main plotline. Unlike most people, I thought the base game's main plotline was complete rubbish where it was not only was badly paced and lacking any justification for you to complete (look at everyone getting stuck in Novigrad lol) but was also pretty simplified to something that would appeal to just about all audiences. It really didn't really contain any of the aspects that makes Geralt an actually interesting character in the world of sword and sorcery fiction. I think the only game that actually got it right was The Witcher 1 strangely enough.

patapuf

This is not a completely sound comparison. Competition from other games released in the same year could be completely different.

Note: I'm not trying to take anything away from The Witcher. I love the game as you can see from my avatar, but TLoU had a far bigger competitor in GTAV (160 awards) than anything released last year.

I don't know, we had Fallout (Bethestha RPG win their respective year most of the time), MGS, Halo, good and well recieved exclusives form sony and nintendo....

That's quite the competition. If you made a thread at the beginning of the year that those games obviously have no chance vs the witcher 3 and you would have been ridiculed.

At least in agregate, that makes up more than enough competition for a missing GTA.

Hypron

It's an absolutely great game and it was my GOTY last year, followed quite closely by Bloodborne. It really deserves those awards.

Cyrano

Maybe. But its sales are closer to Life is Strange than the other AAA games on the list.
Bloodborne is not niche, but it's also nowhere near mainstream.

I'm honestly a bit shocked at how successful Witcher 3 has been but I'm happy it's Witcher 3. Gives me hope that not every year's biggest success will always be trying to sell to everyone.

bombshell

I don't know, we had Fallout (Bethestha RPG win their respective year most of the time), MGS, Halo, good and well recieved exclusives form sony and nintendo....

That's quite the competition. If you made a thread at the beginning of the year that those games obviously have no chance vs the witcher 3 and you would have been ridiculed.

Competition by name or by reception?

Eevee86

Really wish I could get into this series. I've tried with the last two games and both times I lasted only a few hours. Movement and combat felt clunky enough to turn me off.

Congrats CD Project Red. Absurdly good game. A master piece (as where games like Half Life, Starcraft, Ultima VII, Baldurs Gate, TLOU...) with so much details and care...and the most engrossing virtual world ever. Also technologically, for the scope, is leaps and bounds ahead all I have seen this generation.

Tommy DJ

At least in agregate, that makes up more than enough competition for a missing GTA.

This is a dumb debate really but that's not really good competition.

Fallout 4 completely torpedoed everything that built the legacy of Interplay's Fallout series. Phantom Pain's story is one of the most panned among Metal Gear Solid fans, which is like one of the reasons you even play a Metal Gear game. Halo 5 had a pretty rubbish campaign let's be honest here from a pretty weak story to fighting the game boss like 6 times to being incredibly short if you didn't play on Legendary.

Really, the only two big budget games in that year I can actually think of that didn't completely disappoint severely were Bloodborne and The Witcher 3.

dlauv

BB is very much a core gamer game. It has some mainstream appeal, but it will never catch on like a AAA Moneybarge will unless they make some adjustments to marketing, accessibility and presentation (I hope they don't! At least not in the typical, focus grouped, overbearing story and button-prompted way).

That shouldn't affect its award givings too much tho.

I think people are simply more inclined to give the new dog its bone. Dark Souls had its day and Bloodborne isn't enough of an iteration/evolution, as good as it is. It didn't excite on the same level. At least for me.

patapuf

Competition by name or by reception?

Both? 2015 was by all counts a fantastic year for games, in terms of big name franchises and exellent newcomers.

I'm not saying a single one of them makes up for GTA, but in agregate? There was plenty of strong competition this year.

bombshell

Both? 2015 was by all counts a fantastic year for games, in terms of big name franchises and exellent newcomers.

I'm not saying a single one of them makes up for GTA, but in agregate? There was plenty of strong competition this year.

Yes, 2015 was a fantastic year, but the same can be said about 2013.

Bioshock Infinite, Tomb Raider, ACIV Black Flag, etc. Big games just like the ones you listed for 2015.

I'm just saying 2015 didn't have 2 widely well received games like 2013 had.

lol at some of the comments.
All of a sudden Witcher didn't have any real competition. yeah, sure...

If you're referring to my posts, then you completely missed my point. It was about the normalisation comparison.

Rootbeer

Banned
Well deserved IMO. One of the best gaming experiences I ever had.

So are they doing a Witcher 4 or what? Cause I REALLY need more games like Witcher 3 in my life.

Ratrat

BB is very much a core gamer game. It has some mainstream appeal, but it will never catch on like a AAA Moneybarge will unless they make some adjustments to marketing, accessibility and presentation (I hope they don't! At least not in the typical, focus grouped, overbearing story and button-prompted way).

That shouldn't affect its award givings too much tho.

I think people are simply more inclined to give the new dog its bone. Dark Souls had its day and Bloodborne isn't enough of an iteration/evolution, as good as it is. It didn't excite on the same level. At least for me.
Dark Souls barely won anything. It was greatly overshadowed by a certain AAA Western juggernaut made by Bethesda. Bloodborne probably won more Goty awards than the last three combined and reviewed better than any of them.

Top Bottom