• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3 is now the Most Awarded game of all time. (Currently at 251 awards)

WaterAstro

I'm just assuming there are more random game sites popping up to give awards. It would be nice to see a percentage comparison to other games of the year.

Chola

Banned
Hmm I remember only very few decided not to review it based on that event, the majority of the sites had their review at launch based on the event.

I'm talking more about podcasts and stuff, obviously most reviewers didn't change their score after completing the game, it would have seem even more embarrssing than giving it a score without finishing it based on a revirew event in the first place.

Outlets who didn't attend the event like giantbomb still gave it a 10/10,edge gave it a 9 It was PC gamer's GOTY. Even with cut content like chapter3(which is just a sub plot of eli, nothing major ) and reused missions the game has enough content in chapter1 and excellent design to warrant a 10/10. Micro-transaction and online stuff is completely overblown.

MadYarpen

I mean, that's obviously impressive, but isn't that mostly because of the ever-growing cottage industry of gaming awards? The next really well-received will probably break the record for the same reason.

Only thing is that according to this list last year more awards were given, than for 2016 untill today. So I don't think it is valid argument.

Gurish

The majority of 80+ reviews definitely did not go up immediately. And again, it did better at end of the year awards than previous games which is a bit more substantial than podcasts and 'not changing scores to avoid embarrassment'.

Most of them were based on the review events, that's what I remember.

And how do you know it did better than previous entries? only MGS4 maybe, we don't have records of those GOTY years, it wasn't really a thing back than, journalism wasn't the same or as massive.

Congrats on being the most mainstream appealing game of the year 2015.

For example, 2 years ago Shadow of Mordor and Dragon Age Inquisition were the most mainstream appealing games, and that's pretty cool. And then you have Skyrim in 2011.

I think it's awesome that a wide audience got to experience these games that appeal to a wide audience and so I'd like to once again give props to The Witcher 3, Shadow of Mordor and Dragon Age Inquisition and Skyrim for being Western RPGs that appeal to a wide audience and getting all these mainstream awards from the mainstream.

I knew it someone would bring this case to the thread. Gaf delivers. :p

NIGHT-

Best game this gen by far, and nothing comes close to achieving what it has! Congrats to the devs! Can't wait for the expansion.

Fitts

If nothing else, W3 being so critically lauded has validated my longstanding decision to ignore games media. (gaf is the only gaming site I've visited for the past few years) I gave it a fair shake at ~30 hours but it just wasn't for me. I'm glad so many got what they wanted out of it, though.

Congrats on being the most mainstream appealing game of the year 2015.

For example, 2 years ago Shadow of Mordor and Dragon Age Inquisition were the most mainstream appealing games, and that's pretty cool. And then you have Skyrim in 2011.

I think it's awesome that a wide audience got to experience these games that appeal to a wide audience and so I'd like to once again give props to The Witcher 3, Shadow of Mordor and Dragon Age Inquisition and Skyrim for being Western RPGs that appeal to a wide audience and getting all these mainstream awards from the mainstream.

Ha, ha. True.

Ratrat

Most of them were based on the review events, that's what I remember.

And how do you know it did better than previous entries? only MGS4 maybe, we don't have records of those GOTY years, it wasn't really a thing back than, journalism wasn't the same or as massive.
http://gotypicks.blogspot.jp/2008/12/2004-game-of-year.html

This seems to be the site everyone uses. Much fewer awards in 2004 but even MGS3 was not much of a big deal next to Half-life, Halo and GTA. MGSV's reception was great for the series overall.
Outlets who didn't attend the event like giantbomb still gave it a 10/10,edge gave it a 9 It was PC gamer's GOTY. Even with cut content like chapter3(which is just a sub plot of eli, nothing major ) and reused missions the game has enough content in chapter1 and excellent design to warrant a 10/10. Micro-transaction and online stuff is completely overblown.
Pretty much. Even those early reviews were after 50+ hours of play. The average journalist is not going to go 'Oh, the stories ending sucked! That invalidates the last 70 hours of superb gameplay!'.

Pndomo

Banned
The fact TLOU won so many awards while being an exclusive and going against GTA V makes it more impressive tbh last year was kinda eh compared to 2013.

nubbe

I need more content
like, yesterday
PLEASE

nmRUsLW.gif

I have a hard time understanding why all these "hardcore" gamers hate so much on ‘The Witcher‘. Similarly, I was surprised when the Giant Bomb guys almost did not put it on their top 10 list.

Maybe the cause is that there are people who mainly focus on mechanics of gameplay, versus those who focus on immersion, storytelling, world building, and roleplaying. I strongly belong into the second group - for example, the combat was not the central aspect to my experience of TW3 at all.

For me, TW3 was probably the best game I ever played, and I'm looking forward to all DLCs being released, so I can return to the game and play them all together. I'm really proud of the studio and what they've accomplished, those rewards are well-deserved.

Euron

When a game makes pretty much everything else in its genre (aside from Miyazaki games) feel obsolete then it definitely deserves all the praise its getting.

GTA V had a way better reception than those games combines, and sold more and had way more impact than any game released last year let's be real.

4 Metacritic points higher than TPP is not "way better reception"

Not only that, but I don't get your reasoning to try and downplay The Witcher 3's accomplishments and up play The Last Of Us's. They're both great games...

Pndomo

Banned
4 metacritic points higher than TPP is not "way better reception"
The general public loved the game. Celebrities were tweeting and instagramming about it. It's release was like a huge event and mostly everyone loved it. If you think TW3 had as much positive reception as GTA V then I'm not gonna argue with it because that's ridiculous imo.

xVodevil

Good for them! I'm quite sure this is one of the top3 games of this decade.
Too bad their content rich and DRM free policy won't have much impact on the industry...

zsynqx

The general public loved the game. Celebrities were tweeting and instagramming about it. It's release was like a huge event and mostly everyone loved it. If you think TW3 had as much positive reception as GTA V then I'm not gonna argue with it because that's ridiculous imo.

What do celebrities tweeting about it have anything to do with it's GOTY potential?

Not only that, but I don't get your reasoning to try and downplay The Witcher 3's accomplishments and up play The Last Of Us's. They're both great games...

That just looks weird :p

zsynqx

Most outlets award games with widespread appeal. If a game is appealing AND high quality, that makes it a great GOTY contender.

The Witcher 3/Bloodborne/Fallout/MGSV all had enough widespread appeal that I really don't think it was a factor. If we were looking at GTA V and Gone Home in 2013, that would be a different story.

Edit: Looking back through this conversation, I'm really not sure what point I'm trying to make here :p

Gurish

http://gotypicks.blogspot.jp/2008/12/2004-game-of-year.html

This seems to be the site everyone uses. Much fewer awards in 2004 but even MGS3 was not much of a big deal next to Half-life, Halo and GTA. MGSV's reception was great for the series overall.

Pretty much. Even those early reviews were after 50+ hours of play. The average journalist is not going to go 'Oh, the stories ending sucked! That invalidates the last 70 hours of superb gameplay!'.

Seriously man, the winning game at that year has 21 picks, it's not a good comparison if we want to check who did better.

And hey, the fans themselves felt disappointed after finishing it, I believe that if reviewers had played it on their own time, and finishing it as well, the average would be lower, I believe high 8 or maybe a round 9, but yea, couple of points lower.
I didn't suggest anything dramatic like a 7 MC, but when we are talking about GOTY, a 93 is a very big difference compared to a high 8.

Gurish

4 points on those levels is big.

A high 9 game is extremely rare, a low 9 is more common, though, today it's also pretty rare compared to previous years so it's tricky to do a straight comparison.

Still GTA5 was a monster beloved by both critics and fans, MGS5 is much more controversial.

cackhyena

Started this last week and have been playing in any free time I have since. Never thought I'd be so thoroughly hooked. Game deserves the awards.

While TW3 is undoubtedly a worthy champion (though I personally still rate TLoU slightly higher), I think it's fair to say that being a multiplat certainly helps. Not being locked to a single platform means it's eligible for awards from a lot more platform specific organisations that a single platform exclusive. Still, none of that should take away from CDPRs deserved success. It's an incredible achievement for a (effectively) independent studio from Poland, and I can't wait to see what they bring to the table with Cyberpunk 2077.

OsirisBlack

Banned
Its odd, despite all of this games accolades its simply not for me. So many things I just don't like about it. The character design, voices, animation, combat system the way trees and other items just kind of pop out of reality when you walk past them is jarring to me and pulled me completely out of the game. I can understand drooling over the music as it is quite good but the actual game for me personally was a bit of a chore.

GTA V had a way better reception than those games combines, and sold more and had way more impact than any game released last year let's be real.

GTAV dwarfs every retail game in the history of gaming in sales and also has a higher metascore than The Witcher 3 and 5 times the sales. What's your point?

Altairre

That checks out. One of my favorite games of all times, played through the whole thing twice already and can see myself going back to it every couple of years. Really glad the Witcher series managed to achieve that level of quality since I had read and very much enjoyed the books before the first game came out. Didn't really expect it to amount to much yet here we are. Good job CDPR, you made it happen. Can't wait for B&W.

Chola

Banned
And hey, the fans themselves felt disappointed after finishing it, I believe that if reviewers had played it on their own time, and finishing it as well, the average would be lower, I believe high 8 or maybe a round 9, but yea, couple of points lower.
I didn't suggest anything dramatic like a 7 MC, but when we are talking about GOTY, a 93 is a very big difference compared to a high 8.

Simple, critics looked at it lot more critically than fans did. Fans were disappointed not because it was a bad game its because it is not the MGS game they wanted, so chances of them being dismissive is lot higher

Still GTA5 was a monster beloved by both critics and fans, MGS5 is much more controversial.

GTA 5 is just another GTA , MGSV is not another MGS

GTAV dwarfs every retail game in the history of gaming in sales and also has a higher metascore than The Witcher 3 and 5 times the sales. What's your point?

The Witcher 3 is still nothing compared to TLoU which won over the magnificently masterpiece one of a kind only once in a century game, GTA V.

Why can't these people just say it loud like that.

Altairre

GTA 5 is just another GTA , MGSV is not another MGS

I do agree with that. I was getting tired of the GTA formula after GTAIV and GTAV didn't really do much to change that. The heists and different main characters sounded interesting in concept but didn't have as much of an impact as I was hoping. It's still very much one of those game, albeit an extremely polished one, with the same issues in pacing, mission design and gunplay (even though they did improve it). MGSV is more of a departure from the series, for better or for worse (in my case certainly for the worse) and I can appreciate the risk Kojima took. That doesn't change the problems I have with it though.

Gurish

I think being exclusive helped it a lot, same with mgs4

MGS4 didn't win the GOTY of 2008, it was third.

Bayonetta 2 was an exclusive who did well critically and by fans and it was ignored.

Exclusivity can only damages, not helps.

MGS4 didn't win the GOTY of 2008, it was third.

Bayonetta 2 was an exclusive who did well critically and by fans and it was ignored.

Exclusivity can only damages, not helps.

Like The last of Us?

Man, the salt in this thread. Very entertaining.

Well, deserved CDPR. One of the best games I've ever played.

Very good game but I will always hold gameplay over story and witcher 3 was a bit lacking in that. The world and the way it immersed you was perhaps the best ever though.

Top Bottom