• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3 is now the Most Awarded game of all time. (Currently at 251 awards)

Well deserved.

Haven't played it in a long time, how's the framerate on PS4 now?

Ps4 runs pretty smoothly now. I noticed less framedrops in witcher than I did in bloodborne if that tells you anything. (And Bloodborne doesn't have that many). Still a couple of glitches, but nothing terrible.

I'm curious as to what aspects of the game are so great, that even with so so game play it makes up for it? Just curious

Usually if I find a game amazing, it's largely due to game play and everything else is cherry on top. Is the game play forgiven here because of other aspects of the game? If so, which

Again, curious, as I've been leaning on trying this game for awhile now

I never found the gameplay bad even after playing souls games. I still think it's fun and had a bit of diversity of you want it. I also tend to play games for story and characters though as well, and witcher 3 Is absolutely phenomenal in these categories.

All in all, it won't appeal to everyone, but it's personally one of my all time favorites.

MilesTeg

Banned
I still have not seen a game with better graphics on PS4 nearly one year later. The game is a stunning technical achievement.

Well deserved.

Money hats

88lJjby.gif

Gurthang

Banned
Also note that The Witcher 3 had much tougher competition than TLOU.

Gta V is not the type of game that wins alot of Goty awards. Same for Gta IV which lost to Fallout 3 in Goty awards.

lol at some of the comments.
All of a sudden Witcher didn't have any real competition. yeah, sure...

seriously.

the revisionist shit-spamming is making me puke in my mouth a little.

Let's go back to 2015 when the holiday rush of games made everyone wonder if W3 would even be considered.

Lothars

Good for the game, I am not a fan and think it does some things really well but has some things that really hold it back especially the combat and movement.

I am really interested in what CDPR does with Cyberpunk 2077.

BeauRoger

Unconfirmed Member
Top 3 game of all time for me, so this is well deserved. I think that the GDC award must be the best one to get, since its voted on by other game developers, people who know the most about game design.

Also note that The Witcher 3 had much tougher competition than TLOU.

Gta V is not the type of game that wins alot of Goty awards. Same for Gta IV which lost to Fallout 3 in Goty awards.

Yeah I'm not sure why some act like it was so tough to beat GTA. GTA V was just another GTA. No game in the franchise has even won GOTY. A Bethesda game is a stronger contender for the media.

BashNasty

Yeah I'm not sure why some act like it was so tough to beat GTA. GTA V was just another GTA. No game in the franchise has even won GOTY. A Bethesda game is a stronger contender for the media.

GTAV was one of the most immersive and interesting open worlds ever released. The art direction was absolutely astounding and the open world was packed to the brim with interesting gameplay-related things to do. Every nook and cranny of the world was interesting because most of them had me thinking how to get a motorcycle up there, or how to land a helicopter on top of that tiny house, or how to land a plane on a bumpy patch of asphalt.

I tried really, really hard to like the Witcher 3, but in the end it just wasn't for me. The story was decent, but I don't play games for story, I play them for gameplay, and the gameplay in Witcher 3 just isn't there. The open world looks good, but I wasn't interested in it because none of the areas had interesting gameplay implications, they were just pretty areas to travel though.

It's cool that so many people seem to really, really (really) love the Witcher 3, and if I was a more story-focused gamer, maybe I would have loved it too. But in my personal opinion, it's one of the most overrated games this generation.

Draft

Old champ was a story heavy adventure about a tough old man saving a teenage girl.

New champ is a story heavy adventure about a tough old man saving a teenage girl.

Game journalists have a type, don't they?

GTAV was one of the most immersive and interesting open worlds ever released. The art direction was absolutely astounding and the open world was packed to the brim with interesting gameplay-related things to do. Every nook and cranny of the world was interesting because most of them had me thinking how to get a motorcycle up there, or how to land a helicopter on top of that tiny house, or how to land a plane on a bumpy patch of asphalt.

I tried really, really hard to like the Witcher 3, but in the end it just wasn't for me. The story was decent, but I don't play games for story, I play them for gameplay, and the gameplay in Witcher 3 just isn't there. The open world looks good, but I wasn't interested in it because none of the areas had interesting gameplay implications, they were just pretty areas to travel though.

It's cool that so many people seem to really, really (really) love the Witcher 3, and if I was a more story-focused gamer, maybe I would have loved it too. But in my personal opinion, it's one of the most overrated games this generation.

It's really just different tastes. On the opposite side of the token, I tried really, really hard to get into GTA V because I heard people like you saying how immersive and open it was. I put in a few of hours driving around, doing some story stuff, played some tennis, and I mostly just found it kind of uninteresting. It's not bad by an means, but I was expecting something more, I guess. It never really immersed me, and I couldn't find any reason to care about the characters.

Witcher 3 gave that to me, more important npcs, other stories and a varied world that was just beautiful and more interesting(imo) to look at. I can't dispute how big GTA is, but in the ned, i Just ended up finding it super over rated as welll.

tl;dr: different tastes and all that jazz

Kinyou

I got Bored after 20 hours of non-stop talking with sprinkled in janky combat. The definition of how to mass market a game, make it pretty and open world and people will over look the game part.

I put it above Skyrim (hot garbage) and below average games like DA:I
I'm kind of surprised how someone could get bored with this game but not from DA:I.

Old champ was a story heavy adventure about a tough old man saving a teenage girl.

New champ is a story heavy adventure about a tough old man saving a teenage girl.

I wonder if we'll ever find the equivalent to "oscarbait" in videogames

tuxfool

Banned

People are narrowing this down to game journalists? As I noted above, it also handily trounced other games in the Reader's Choice awards (both games did). So I wouldn't narrow the choice down to specific groups.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Very well deserved.

Bought it at release and I'm still playing it (multi-month breaks in between). I finished the main story a while back, and am almost at 100 hours now, currently working through Hearts of Stone content, which is really great.

It's one of those rare games that continues to impress me long after the initial magic wears off.

GTA V took more GOTY awards in 2013 than the runner-up of 2015 did.

More publications participated in 2013 though. Also, I think the 1-2 gap is larger than it was in 2013 due to TW3 being a relatively similar game to Fallout 4 with clear advantages in certain areas.

GTA V and TLoU are completely different games so direct comparisons are harder to make. It basically came down to whether you enjoyed the story/characters of TLoU or the open world of GTA.

It's really just different tastes. On the opposite side of the token, I tried really, really hard to get into GTA V because I heard people like you saying how immersive and open it was. I put in a few of hours driving around, doing some story stuff, played some tennis, and I mostly just found it kind of uninteresting. It's not bad by an means, but I was expecting something more, I guess. It never really immersed me, and I couldn't find any reason to care about the characters.

Witcher 3 gave that to me, more important npcs, other stories and a varied world that was just beautiful and more interesting(imo) to look at. I can't dispute how big GTA is, but in the ned, i Just ended up finding it super over rated as welll.

tl;dr: different tastes and all that jazz

Yeah different stokes. Personally, I couldn't connect with the gameplay of GTA V at all. I just found the shooting and movement to be really clunky. I didn't care for the characters or the story either. Missions were uninteresting, etc. The soundtrack was incredible though and you have to respect what they were able to achieve on last gen consoles.

dlauv

I kind of liked The Witcher 2 more in a few ways as well. It was a tighter game and I think the combat made more sense.

Overall tho, Witcher 3 has more bang for the buck. So many amazing side-quests won me over in spite of being unable to enact on the amazing promises TW2 seemed to give.

But that's always the strength of the middle game in a trilogy.

dominuece

Congrats, CDPR! Witcher 3 is in my top 10 games of all time. I'm playing through Hearts of Stone and loving it. Bring on Blood and Wine and CP 2077!

I got Bored after 20 hours of non-stop talking with sprinkled in janky combat. The definition of how to mass market a game, make it pretty and open world and people will over look the game part.

I put it above Skyrim (hot garbage) and below average games like DA:I

I am genuinely puzzled by the last line. I cannot think of a single aspect of DAI that was better executed than Witcher 3, and I say that as a massive (and terribly disappointed) DA fan.

Ruff

I didn't realize there were SO MANY GotY awards. Kinda cheapens it a bit in my eyes. For some reason I thought only one game a year would get it at all, even though I saw a few per year.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
I didn't realize there were SO MANY GotY awards. Kinda cheapens it a bit in my eyes. For some reason I thought only one game a year would get it at all, even though I saw a few per year.
One game a year gets the vast majority.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
I'm kind of surprised how someone could get bored with this game but not from DA:I.

DA:I had better magic and combat, real RPG progression that could be tailored to the play style, varied semi-open zones which were all unique, etc.

Lan Dong Mik

And why would I want them?
I actually finally beat it about 3 weeks ago. I had it the day it came out too. An absolute masterpiece. I recently just bought it again on PC since I got a GTX970 and I've been floored by the visuals. Playing the Hearts of Stone Expansion and I think I'm half way through. I think overall it's one of my favorite games of all time.

Top Bottom