• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3 - New screenshots

Durante

I really want to bang my head on something when I hear stuff like this. I'm guessing you've forgotten what PS3 games look like, my friend. ;)
For everyone suffering this affliction, here are some Skyrim PS3 captures:
1280x-1qokdo.jpg

1280x-2hejmv.jpg

FYI

forrest

formerly nacire
That wolf screenshot looks like a PS3 game.

Those wolfs almost look WOW cartoony, the grass is blocky as hell, but at the same time the background looks pretty good.

It's like a bullshot, but the other way around

While I don't agree that they are anywhere close to the cartoony stylized designs of WoW, they definitely aren't given enough resource priority to be so closely featured in screenshot promos.

While Metal Gear 5's DD is a central character and probably deserves more resource allocation, you can't help but notice the stark difference in texture resolution and polygon count. It's kind of hard to go back after seeing better, but I feel that way with a lot of games that try for a more realistic approach to their art direction.

metal-gear-solid-v-ddz7j7o.jpg

valkyre

Has there been any short of PS4 footage of the game at all? Even a screenshot? Or does MS marketing deal not allowing this just like Sony did with Destiny?

This looks like the console version.

Not with that amount of downsampling. It's probably the PC version (unfortunately). There's no reason for them to show off console quality graphics with downsampling when they can just show the PC version.

This shot in particular does nothing for me. Pretty rough foliage. The short render distance for grass makes the terrain look really dull. No detail in anything. I guess the sky looks nice though.

The horse in the last screenshot just looks like a big porcelain statue. Animals are so hard to get right through...

Lunar15

For everyone suffering this affliction, here are some Skyrim PS3 captures:

FYI

michaeljordanlaugh.gif

Yeah, that one screenshot doesn't look hot, but it's not outright bad or anything. Just different from other shots we've seen. I do like that they aren't sharpened to high hell though.

This game continues to look great.

Kezen

Banned
I'm sure we're all aware that these aren't screenshots of the pc version at the highest settings. Isn't the fur tech exclusive to pc anyway?
CDProjekt haven't confirmed it, perhaps the low preset could be used.
GameWorks-Games-The-Witcher-3-Wild-Hunt_575px.jpg

EDIT :
http://gamingbolt.com/the-witcher-3-tech-interview-ps4xbox-one-performance-challenges-dx12-redengine-3-mods-more#G7K8EtQ4oXyIQ6oW.99
The fur simulation is something that we are treating as a feature for the PC enthusiasts. There will be definitely a way to switch it off for those with lower spec machines
Read more at http://gamingbolt.com/the-witcher-3...x12-redengine-3-mods-more#o1P1pcsEJIpOw3Y2.99
Perhaps that has changed, I wish everyone to experience this impressive tech.

I'm going to nip the joke in the bud here and say that the realistic fur is Nvidia-exclusive, just in case people get the wrong idea.
Hairworks runs on AMD cards, at least in COD Ghosts the low preset can. The high one is CUDA exclusive.
No idea what will happen with TW3.

CHC

Looking more than adequate here, no one should be disappointed. Honestly not expecting better fidelity than W2, with the trade off being a huge increase in world size.

I'm going to nip the joke in the bud here and say that the realistic fur is PC/Nvidia-exclusive, just in case people get the wrong idea.

Actually the Fur should run on AMD. Hairwaorks isn't based off CUDA.

BTW JaseC, I legitiamtely read your posts in that actress's voice.

Renekton

While Metal Gear 5's DD is a central character and probably deserves more resource allocation, you can't help but notice the stark difference in texture resolution and polygon count.
DD is completely optional, there is a chance we won't find him on any given playthru.

Kezen

Banned
Actually the Fur should run on AMD. Hairwaorks isn't based off CUDA.

BTW JaseC, I legitiamtely read your posts in that actress's voice.

You are correct. Hairworks uses DirectCompute, then why was the max fur setting locked to Nvidia in Ghosts ?
Purely artificial ?

raphier

Banned
Maybe it's just that these locations didn't have as much love and attention? Looks like stuff we've never seen before. Though even Geralt's character model looks funky in that first shot.
No I don't think so, maybe a different platform. The shaders are different. Must be PS3.

Then they should have said "next ultra pc only gen wolf" instead of "next gen wolf".

They never called it a "next gen wolf." That was Dennis' gif with his added text.

You are correct. Hairworks uses DirectCompute, then why was the max fur setting locked to Nvidia in Ghosts ?
Purely artificial ?

It could be an older version of Hairworks perhaps? I would have no idea why it would be limited. Perhaps AMD cards just suck at it with higher densities?

Err... some of these don't look to hot. This one in particular:

Textures are all over the place. Look at the wolf's fur and Geralt's clothes.

Yeah that one leapt out at me as being pretty unimpressive. I mean they do look good dont get me wrong, but im gonna say it, i think Deep Down looks better based on these screens anyway.

orava

While I don't agree that they are anywhere close to the cartoony stylized designs of WoW, they definitely aren't given enough resource priority to be so closely featured in screenshot promos.

While Metal Gear 5's DD is a central character and probably deserves more resource allocation, you can't help but notice the stark difference in texture resolution and polygon count. It's kind of hard to go back after seeing better, but I feel that way with a lot of games that try for a more realistic approach to their art direction.

metal-gear-solid-v-ddz7j7o.jpg

If you watch the video, you can see that the fur is not actually "real" fur or use some high quality physics system. This pic makes things look better than it actually is. It looks great nonetheless.

valkyre

Actually even MGS4 wolves look very good, dare I say "better" than the one in that pic:

5408171970_19193a1ac7_z.jpg

There has to be something wrong with that pic

Kezen

Banned
It could be an older version of Hairworks perhaps? I would have no idea why it would be limited. Perhaps AMD cards just suck at it with higher densities?

Now that you tacke the subject, Hairworks uses isoline tessellation which AMD claim is inefficient on their hardware.
tressfx_vs_hairworks.jpg

Hystzen

People comparing wolves from linear games (mgs4 n tpp examples) forgetting how huge this open world is meant to be

Compared to previous shots, I'll say it like it is: It looks like shit by comparison.
I'm sure the game will be more polished until launch though.
Some of the stuff shown barely passes off as "next-gen".

Yeh, these screens don't look like they're on the highest settings. They wouldn't remove the Nvidia fur, it was implemented and worked.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Purely artificial ?

PhysX-based turbulence probably wasn't sufficient as far as exclusive features go. ;) Nvidia is hardly above such behaviour; for instance, it was initially possible for AMD GPU owners to run an Nvidia card purely for PhysX, but Nvidia later cracked down on this.

Edit: Ah, noticed your follow-up.

valkyre

People comparing wolves from linear games (mgs4 n tpp examples) forgetting how huge this open world is meant to be

We have seen open world games that are already released that sure dont have the textures that this wolf has. There is something wrong, the tech is there , the hardware also, it might be open world but these textures are just too bad.

Also TPP is not a linear game.

Guymelef

Seems downgrade for me.
And people asking if those images are for console version, official captures/bullshots always show best case scenario.

Top Bottom