• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3 - New screenshots

misho8723

Banned
They look better than the previously released shots to me for the simple reason that these aren't oversharpened to the extent that was the case before.

They didn't released any oversharpened shots for more than a year.. and this new one are really not so good looking compared to the shots released this year - like the E3 shots

The first picture with the griffin clearly has Hairworks enabled though.
Weird that there is such a varying quality in those screenshots.

Durante

That's a cop-out argument, really.
There are few things less "cop-out" about per-model complexity than a difference in fundamental game type. Witcher 3 should be compared to other open world RPGs.

The first picture with the griffin clearly has Hairworks enabled though.
I'm not sure about that, could just be some alpha blended texture layers.

(The reason that wolf looks so bad is the camera perspective. It's much more favourable for the griffin)

ironcreed

Banned
Matted wolf hair. Pre-order cancelled.

But seriously, I'll be content. It's a huge world with a lot going on and looks gorgeous for what it is. Love the armor in the wolf scene as well. It has sort of an eastern/samurai-ish vibe going on.

Blinck

CD Projekt, just like From Software, really need to get someone good at taking screenshots.

These all look very sub-par. They look to be taken at a sub-native res with poor IQ, and overall they just don't do the game any justice. I don't understand why they publish these.

derFeef

There are few things less "cop-out" about per-model complexity than a difference in fundamental game type. Witcher 3 should be compared to other open world RPGs.

I am by no means a game dev but I don't see a reason why those wolfs could not look a bit better, nvidia fur tech or not. We have seen monsters in screenshots that must be far more complex than this pack of wolfs.

So long as the game looks good in motion, I think y'all will be all right

It's a massive open world game, right? Looks pretty damn good with that in mind.

Ridesh

Banned
WTF with the second pic?

I had already noticed a downgrade in the 30 minute demo, not surprised, the game is way too ambitious, but those pics look even worse, I'm fearing for the PS4 version.

JavaMind

Banned
I don't see what is impressive on these screens... the wolf's fur looks really bad...

a lot of textures don't look good at all...

Not impressed...

Fractal

Banned
Even though there are some noticeable shortcomings on these shots, I wouldn't worry much. They already showed a lot of amazing looking stuff, and even the best looking games have some rough edges, especially if you go looking for them.

Durante

I am by no means a game dev but I don't see a reason why those wolfs could not look a bit better, nvidia fur tech or not. We have seen monsters in screenshots that must be far more complex than this pack of wolfs.
I wasn't really talking about those individual wolves and whether or not they can look better. Probably they could.

I was making a fundamental statement about graphics comparisons, and one which I feel needs reiterating in every single thread about this topic. Comparing graphical output across genres with vastly different technical requirements just doesn't work. You don't see things like the fact that a scene takes place in an open world, or that the developer can't say beforehand exactly how many enemies, NPCs and effects of which type will be involved, or even whether there is dynamic time of day (which makes an absolutely massive difference in computational effort for good lighting) from a screenshot. And all these things result in vastly -- and I mean vastly -- different degrees of complexity compared to a game with more predictable scenarios.

Of all "mainstream" genres which exist, the open world RPG might be one of the most fundamentally challenging to implement.

Seanspeed

Banned
Honestly not expecting better fidelity than W2, with the trade off being a huge increase in world size.

Ummm, what so impressive about the graphics? Looks about only par with Witcher 2.
It already looks better than The Witcher 2. While maybe not as extreme as the 'looks like a PS3 game' comment earlier, I think it is another case of people's memories failing them a bit.

TW2 is still a good looking game, but it shows its age in many ways. I played it not *that* long ago for the first time with maxed out everything except ubersampling. Here's a few straight up 1080p shots I took that showcase the things that people don't like to talk about when it comes to this game's graphics:

Pretty much this. Its really not a next gen looking game at all.
Pretty much anything that isn't the best looking game ever is 'last-gen' looking according to some people.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Not as impressive as previous screens but I still think they look decent. It looks similar to the PS4 version of Mordor here, which looks nice.

Pretty much this. Its really not a next gen looking game at all.

It's very interesting seeing people's expectations to what a 'next gen' game would look like. Not just talking about TW3 but games in general. The majority seem to be disappointed with the graphics the PS4 and X1 have been pumping out, and PC for that matter (see Watchdogs).

derFeef

I wasn't really talking about those individual wolves and whether or not they can look better. Probably they could.

I was making a fundamental statement about graphics comparisons, and one which I feel needs reiterating in every single thread about this topic. Comparing graphical output across genres with vastly different technical requirements just doesn't work. You don't see things like the fact that a scene takes place in an open world, or that the developer can't say beforehand exactly how many enemies, NPCs and effects of which type will be involved, or even whether there is dynamic time of day (which makes an absolutely massive difference in computational effort for good lighting) from a screenshot. And all these things result in vastly -- and I mean vastly -- different degrees of complexity compared to a game with more predictable scenarios.

Of all "mainstream" genres which exist, the open world RPG might be one of the most fundamentally challenging to implement.

Oh yes, I fully agree on the comparison part, I just think the argument itself is a copout. I mean you account for things on display at any given moment, not for the whole budget.

Twix

CD Project programmers continue to hide their technical mediocrity behind the mindless use of raw processing power.

Kezen

Banned
CD Project programmers continue to hide their technical mediocrity behind the mindless use of raw processing power.

They are technically very good, hence how it looks on consoles. But obviously higher grade hardware will yield better effects.

They made The Witcher 2 work on 360. Just because they take full advantage of the hardware out there doesn't mean they're mediocre by any means.

TheCloser

Banned

image.php

WOW at that downgrade. SMH, I knew that making XB1 lead platform instead of PS4 was a mistake. That second shot is sooo bad, I'm no programmer but I'm pretty sure higher bandwidth would have gotten rid of the lack of fur on the wolves and make Gerak less shiny.

SDCowboy

Ouch the graphics got toned down.

My thoughts too. Either that or it's just because we're further along in the new gen, but the graphics aren't very impressive any more. The game still looks great, don't get me wrong, but they aren't mind blowing like they seemed early in the year.

Flai

WOW at that downgrade. SMH, I knew that making XB1 lead platform instead of PS4 was a mistake. That second shot is sooo bad, I'm no programmer but I'm pretty sure higher bandwidth would have gotten rid of the lack of fur on the wolves and make Gerak less shiny.

lol

Damerman

this must be a console version. it looks 1080p so it must be PS4. PC footage of gameplay we've seen just a few months ago looked MUCH better than this... like, holy-fuck-will-my-780ti-run-this better.

Ridesh

Banned
It's very interesting seeing people's expectations to what a 'next gen' game would look like. Not just talking about TW3 but games in general. The majority seem to be disappointed with the graphics the PS4 and X1 have been pumping out, and PC for that matter (see Watchdogs).

In the case of TW3, CDProjekt itself elevated the expectations with past trailers and screenshots

I mean, from this:

Witcher-3-screenshot-6.jpg

iKcRG61XdJQQy.jpg

To this:

iQV34ALySrFXy.png

izxz9WBSCJJTe.png

Is kinda brutal.

Nzyme32

CDProjekt haven't confirmed it, perhaps the low preset could be used.
GameWorks-Games-The-Witcher-3-Wild-Hunt_575px.jpg

EDIT :
http://gamingbolt.com/the-witcher-3-tech-interview-ps4xbox-one-performance-challenges-dx12-redengine-3-mods-more#G7K8EtQ4oXyIQ6oW.99

Perhaps that has changed, I wish everyone to experience this impressive tech.

Hairworks runs on AMD cards, at least in COD Ghosts the low preset can. The high one is CUDA exclusive.
No idea what will happen with TW3.

For the inevitable whining that will follow this, AMD users have access to some of these features and the consoles have some capability too, although what will be included with this game is still a mystery.

GameWorks-1-Overview-(7).jpg

SDCowboy

In the case of TW3, CDProjekt itself elevated the expectations with past trailers and screenshots

I mean, from this:

To this:

Is kinda brutal.

Yeah there seems to be a pretty significant downgrade. Game still looks good, just not really that impressive anymore.

Top Bottom